Sign in to follow this  
mrcash2009

Copyright act changes / Streaming & Embedding (= Jail term) >>

Senators Want To Put People In Jail For Embedding YouTube Videos

A lot of the articles looking at these new US copyright law changes instantly refer to streaming and embedding with links 5 year jail term for allowing embedding, opens up a large debate and not sure if its being read into far to much, or is in actual fact so open & undefined that this article statement is "potentially" true.

Ive seen this referred to on different sites and not sure if they are following knee jerk reaction article posts or more into it. Interesting if others have been following this and what others "take" is on it.

Edited by mrcash2009

Here is what Senator Cornyn responded to me with via his FB page: "Chris, I believe in private property rights. Do you?"

Of course I believe in private property rights because I'm a libertarian. But why do we need a law to put people in jail for something that can easily be fixed with some form of DRM or website coding to block a simple right-click function or recording software from being able to function.

Well to be fair, the thread title and most internet articles discussing this issue make it sound b/w as nothing more than not being able to embed a Youtube video.

The heart of the matter, as how I understand it, is to prevent internet users to think twice about recording a live stream and then sharing it.

I understand the live stream is the property of the owner, but how many of those videos would the owner air again and not throw into their never-to-be-seen/watched-again archive?

More people in prison..I wonder how much our economy suffers for the cost of that.. Sounds like yet another barely thought out bill, how would one even begin to take these measures, do they have any idea how many videos are uploaded and embedded every second not to mention not everyone that uses youtube is in the US.

Also who would this benefit to, hollywood, music industry?

Edited by NodUnit

What you are forgetting here, people is that the Internet is not like a truck. It is like a series of tubes. Once you understand that, you will understand the wisdom of the US Senate in regards to the internet.

Here is what Senator Cornyn responded to me with via his FB page: "Chris, I believe in private property rights. Do you?"

Of course I believe in private property rights because I'm a libertarian. But why do we need a law to put people in jail for something that can easily be fixed with some form of DRM or website coding to block a simple right-click function or recording software from being able to function.

You should respond with, "I understand logical fallacies, black and white thinking, semantic cornering, and pseudo-moralistic bullshit. Do you?"

Edited by Max Power

Here's something I'd like to ask them, even if this succeeds what do they plan to do when another website simply replaces youtube, afterall there are dozens of other streaming mass video websites and people could just imbed through those to get around it.

Better yet screw that question, I would ask what logic they were using to 'think' this up. There are far too many loopholes and backlash consequences that would arise.

Edited by NodUnit

My answer:

jYPKwW8spvQ

Edited by JonPL

Capitalism at its finest...

Government intervention IS NOT Capitalism. Next time learn the difference before you use careless rhetoric.

Unless capitalists use their capital to lobby to create policy that's pro capitalism...

Unless capitalists use their capital to lobby to create policy that's pro capitalism...

We all know that Viacom has been in litigation against Google - d/b/a Youtube - for quite awhile now because of Copyright issues. Last year Google did win the case against them; could it be that Universal is trying to get legislation passed that would benefit them through campaign donations?

Edited by Hans Ludwig

(...) do they have any idea how many videos are uploaded and embedded every second (...)

It would take over 5 years to watch the amount of video that will cross global IP networks every second in 2015. Every second, 1 million minutes of video content will cross the network in 2015.

Cisco Visual Networking Index Forecast

Good luck to control that :p

Government intervention IS NOT Capitalism. Next time learn the difference before you use careless rhetoric.

And it isn't the opposite either. Capitalism is only a way of owning means of production (ie private property of them), and a way of financing economy through profit re-investment. Thus it isn't directly connected to the way governments intervene in the economy, as long as private property is ensured by law.

My Opinion: This is utter bullshit.

I really want to know who made up this idea. The music industry? Hollywood?

How could they controll this?

Here in Germany I´m officially not allowed to watch many Videos on Youtube bercause Sony or UMG or some other idiots claim some rights on them. So what? I use a Proxy Addon and watch them anyway.

Here in Germany I´m officially not allowed to watch many Videos on Youtube bercause Sony or UMG or some other idiots claim some rights on them. So what? I use a Proxy Addon and watch them anyway.

Proxies are fast enough to allow streaming nowadays? I would like to use Pandora again.

My Opinion: This is utter bullshit.

I really want to know who made up this idea. The music industry? Hollywood?

How could they controll this?

Unfortunately they are too blinded by their own greed to understand that when it comes to internet there is no one fullproof security, there is always always a way around it and they aren't helping themselves by doing this since people have this natural nack to break the rules soley because they exist.

Proxies are fast enough to allow streaming nowadays? I would like to use Pandora again.

yep

Stealthy for firefox is pretty good

yep

Stealthy for firefox is pretty good

Seems to work nicely, though i cant get it to turn on/off quickly. The site talks about dropping it in your favorite toolbar or something, which i dont have since i never use firefox, now i have to restart firefox to turn it on/off.

Thanks though. :D

Edited by NeMeSiS

Here in Germany I´m officially not allowed to watch many Videos on Youtube bercause Sony or UMG or some other idiots claim some rights on them. So what?

It's because the standard of living in Germany is highest in Europe, and you can afford to spend on the media that they're 'denying' you. Another reason for blocked videos has to do with the thing called 'World War II'.