Sign in to follow this  
mant3z

ArmA2 for free!

In Germany ArmA 1 was for free in a magazine at November 2010.

So it was 4 years after release. Maybe it´s marketing to sell some OA´s and DLC? And some advertising for coming games like ToH and ArmA 3?

I'm not really surprised by these actions. The low prices, the appearance of ArmA2Free.exe and now even the free give-away indicates that Bohemia Interactive is actively trying to draw more people into the genre. This due to the upcomming release of ArmA 3.

During this time, the focus has switched from making profits, to creating goodwill and an enhanced fanbase, who will likely buy ArmA 3 as well.

Ahh finally we know what Arma2free.exe is. Pretty cool idea by BIS. Thanks for the Info Mant3z

Ahh finally we know what Arma2free.exe is. Pretty cool idea by BIS. Thanks for the Info Mant3z

lol this doesn't confirm it, still all assumptions.

Not to hijack the thread, but ArmA2 was also the full game once for a Hungarian gaming mag aboot 6 months ago. Nice to see other contries do the same.

Why would they rename the binary :confused:

Renaming the binary would only make sense if you want to install it in parallel with other stuff, e.g. arma2.exe and arma2oa.exe.

if this is marketing, I only hope that casuals dont bit the bait, casuals are the ones that destroy great PC games. and you can see we already have some of those here, asking for cover system, graphics whores, physx, and stuff like that

sry, I have to say the true

if this is marketing, I only hope that casuals dont bit the bait, casuals are the ones that destroy great PC games. and you can see we already have some of those here, asking for cover system, graphics whores, physx, and stuff like that

Why did you decide to leave your cave and enter civilization? : P

I've noticed Arma2 in one of Italian magazines in Tuscany a year ago?

lol this doesn't confirm it, still all assumptions.

errr....so we know there is a Arma2free.exe and now an announcement of a free version of Arma 2 with a magazine....hmm I wonder if there might be some connection between the two?

Sure it might not be it, but you have to admit its pretty likely, no?

Why would they rename the binary :confused:

Renaming the binary would only make sense if you want to install it in parallel with other stuff, e.g. arma2.exe and arma2oa.exe.

I have no idea. Could be any number of reasons

This is a WIN WIN for everyone. If at least 1 out of 10 people that try the free ArmA 2 gets hooked on it then potential sales increases. It gets better because its not just one person, its usually a group of friends that get together and discover the multiplayer coop. The more people that try out ArmA 2 then the more likely they are willing to purchase the newer titles.

If the magazine follow up the freebie with a page of simple editor tuts and a few good scenarios then job done :)

This is a WIN WIN for everyone. If at least 1 out of 10 people that try the free ArmA 2 gets hooked on it then potential sales increases. It gets better because its not just one person, its usually a group of friends that get together and discover the multiplayer coop. The more people that try out ArmA 2 then the more likely they are willing to purchase the newer titles.

/agree over and over

There is no diffference in gamers who have expectations when they buy the game or get it with a magazine DVD (which is sort of buying it)

Could the reason for the differently named exe come down to support patching, add-ons etc?

Good move by BI!

Most of what you mentioned has already been mentioned in Arma 3 though.

If casual players come along they won't stick around for long unless they find they have a taste for this kind of thing, especially when battlefield 3 comes out, they are very fickle creatures.

I would guess the different exe name is because it's not multiplayer compatible with retail Arma2. Most of your word of mouth advertising is initially going to be people who own arma2. If I was to distribute DVDs with arma2free on them to my buddies and then get them sucked into some coop, I would need to have a different exe than the retail copies of arma2 and OA I already have.

Hi guys, its will by no arma2free.exe no one say that it will by normal arma 2 polish language version maybe with patch 1.09 on dvd and for this magazine you must pay 15 Pln~4 euro. It will have normal *.exe and you will can play with this version in multiplayer. In this magazine we always have normal versions of all games.

Free of charge does not equal freely distributable.

A lot of game magazines have cover CDs with full game versions. However, even though you get it with the magazine (so the game is basically free of charge for you) they are NOT free, as in freely distributable. They are still copyrighted, and some even have the original copy protection in place.

Just because it's on a cover CD does not make it free.

Whatever arma2free.exe is, it is highly unlikely this is it.

@Varanon

yes arma2free.exe must by somthing else for sure. This normal arma 2.

You came from the same place these so called CoD kiddies came from and

now look at you... a quality member of the armaverse.

You have to take the good with the bad... because if no one came here from

these 'kiddie' games and decided (like you) they loved this game and stuck

around.... there would be no ArmA community.

sry, have to tell the truth, elitists suck.

You came from the same place these so called CoD kiddies came from and

now look at you... a quality member of the armaverse.

You have to take the good with the bad... because if no one came here from

these 'kiddie' games and decided (like you) they loved this game and stuck

around.... there would be no ArmA community.

sry, have to tell the truth, elitists suck.

We all came here from somewhere else :)

I came here from BF1942.

We all came here from somewhere else :)

I came here from BF1942.

OFP (original) brought me here and when it disappeared into its current self I was sad and a bit of me died. Then somehow I found out about Arma1 and that bit that died was replaced by mutant exaltations of joy.

When a console *gasp* can handle a meaty game such as this, in its full play state and that means when console games have greater playability over the graphics end (consoles I feel are the opposite) then I will move over to such games and consoles fully (sold my 360, I was disappoint). Rollercoaster gun games bore me (linear FPS shooters with continual intense action) personally, wide open expanses are the way forward....:yay:.

OFP (original) brought me here and when it disappeared into its current self I was sad and a bit of me died. Then somehow I found out about Arma1 and that bit that died was replaced by mutant exaltations of joy.

When a console *gasp* can handle a meaty game such as this, in its full play state and that means when console games have greater playability over the graphics end (consoles I feel are the opposite) then I will move over to such games and consoles fully (sold my 360, I was disappoint). Rollercoaster gun games bore me (linear FPS shooters with continual intense action) personally, wide open expanses are the way forward....:yay:.

...but what brought you to OFP? When I mentioned I came here from BF1942, I meant I came to OFP from there. Where were you before OFP? :)

...but what brought you to OFP? When I mentioned I came here from BF1942, I meant I came to OFP from there. Where were you before OFP? :)

Gotta be said, Doom and Quake as I don't recall anything big and open ended before OFP (computer game related obviously, anything else would just be rude).

Why did you decide to leave your cave and enter civilization? : P

You have to admit it's kind of true. Look what "appealing to the mass market" has done to battlefield! I'm not going to get on an elitist high-horse here, but the mere complexity of ArmA is one of it's best features, as it allows the End user to create anything from a simple TDM/Zerg attack to a very complex simulated combat engagement. Lets keep fingers crossed it stays that way. BIS is one of the only developers i still have any faith in.