Sign in to follow this  
gunso

Did Arma2 makes you discriminate other FPS games?

Yes, a little.

Only FPSs I frequently play are the old ones:

R6/RVS

Ghost recon

Swat 3/4

Hidden & dangerous 2

I must admitt that I find COD:WaW pretty good though, because of WW2 setting.

Apart from Nazi Zombies, World at War was a terrible game. Even then, they introduced patches for new zombie maps which were completely awful.

Just like you guys i find it very difficult to get "into" any other FPS.

I find it quite funny when trying a new fps (Only happens round a friends house) to pick out flaws and what not. Like the other day, i went round a mates house and he says "Fancy a game of CoD Black Ops be a good laugh" so i "enthusiastically" agree. After a while (30 seconds) i became bored, and so amused myself by continualy asking questions like "which button makes me lean, you cant? oh" and "Which button switches fire mode, what'd you mean i cant, i can see the button on my gun im holding!". Usually followed by "you know which game you can do xxxx in? . . . . " haha

One thing that really pissed my mate off, was i kept scanning the area that was off the map. Couldn't stop myself from doing it through out the game haha!.

+1

Any other FPS doesn't come even close to Arma in terms of that special feeling like actually being there...you know, when you start guessing distance and azimuth of some random guy you see on the street. ;)

One thing that really pissed my mate off, was i kept scanning the area that was off the map. Couldn't stop myself from doing it through out the game haha!.

yeah i think this is what irked me the most lol

"There's a fukken nice hill on the west map, why the fukk cant i be on it to flank the enemies!!!" lol

I think other games are fun on it's own way, but when it begin to limit what i can do, that seems to be the factor that put me off.

Since the days i start playing games i've been thinking, why did the bad guys can take so many bullets before dying? I dont mind if you're wearing some futuristic armor or something like that. But please keep it real at least logically.

I wonder if we will get realistic wound in arma3 like the one in fallout 3. But maybe it will not be fun at all lol.

There is one game I would gladly still play alongside arma series but it does not run on my XP anymore:

Project IGI

That was an intense game even with normal settings. There were no save points in the missions.

There is one game I would gladly still play alongside arma series but it does not run on my XP anymore:

Project IGI

That was an intense game even with normal settings. There were no save points in the missions.

Sources say that it runs again, now that Nvidia has fixed some old error in their latest drivers. No joke, but i havent tried it myself yet.

Link: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=341747

I have yet to find a multiplayer game to rival that of Joint Operations Typhoon Rising (my opinion so don't freak out)

Just like you guys i find it very difficult to get "into" any other FPS.

I find it quite funny when trying a new fps (Only happens round a friends house) to pick out flaws and what not. Like the other day, i went round a mates house and he says "Fancy a game of CoD Black Ops be a good laugh" so i "enthusiastically" agree. After a while (30 seconds) i became bored, and so amused myself by continualy asking questions like "which button makes me lean, you cant? oh" and "Which button switches fire mode, what'd you mean i cant, i can see the button on my gun im holding!". Usually followed by "you know which game you can do xxxx in? . . . . " haha

I do the exact same thing! They then ask "What makes your game so much better?"

FPDR

I have yet to find a multiplayer game to rival that of Joint Operations Typhoon Rising (my opinion so don't freak out)

Well, our boys still play it and it was good fun once but I've become irritated with:

*AI Javelin spamming

*Ridiculous IC maps with floating fortresses etc

*AI being crack shots from the hip/2000 meters away

Of course the PvP scene is a different issue.

Arma II simply has the overall package of little things especially movement wise. You can crouch, lie down, roll, dash, lean, and free look. As soon as one of those things is missing in a game that wants to be a military shooter it's just a deal breaker for me.

(exceptions are games like TF2 which are just for the quick fun.)

When I started with OFP I lost interest in most other FPS. I saw no need for them, I had what I wanted. The exception was, and is, avsp gold edition!

Right now I have the feeling that I wouldnt own a PC or play at all if it wasnt for arma2 (3).

In a word Yes.

ofp changed my whole gaming experience.

It's hard for me to like other FPS but I will give them a shot if my friends are playing it.

yea absolutely for me. The only game i bought in the last 12 mths was Hearts of Iron 3. Haven't even played it yet... not sure i will either.

Well.... I consider myself an old-school PC gamer, meaning I've been gaming since the Commodore 64 days (Yeah yeah, there's older-school than that but you know what I mean :p) and REALLY got into the "Golden Age" of PC gaming, around the early 2000's when EB Games and stores like that had racks upon racks of great games; games like Deus Ex, Half Life, early Battlefield titles and many others that are often mimicked but rarely matched.

Well, around 2006 I moved, and at the same time I got an XBox 360, my first console since the Genesis. Unfortunately, my gaming PC was getting severely outdated during the same time, so I slowly turned into a console gamer... and pretty much gave up on PC gaming, which had dropped off substantially in both quality and quantity around that same time.

Then a year ago or thereabouts, I saw a few videos for Arma II, which snapped me out of my console gaming haze and reminded me how much I missed REAL gaming. For years I had been stuck on games like Call of Duty: MW and Battlefield: BC2 thinking that they were now the norm... how wrong I was.

I scraped together some money and with the help of a friend, built an acceptable gaming rig early this year, and my first purchase for it was Arma II: Combined Ops. For the last few weeks, I've been playing OA with my best friend almost every night, having an absolute BLAST in the process, in complete disbelief at what I'd been missing. We're still discovering new things, trying different methods, and learning as we go.

Now that I'm back into "hardcore" vs what I call "casual" now (COD and such... pisses people off :yay:), I'm much happier and gaming-fulfilled.

And able to laugh at people who call console shooters "realistic". :D

Sorry for the novel :o

Yes it did... :D

Now I've got a whole heap of expensive PC and Xbox 360 games just gathering dust :(

I just can't bring myself to play them when I could be playing A2OA :bounce12: :yay:

(Except for CS:S which is still epic ;))

Well ... yes . It stopped me from spending money on some rather flat FPS's .

This thread is like one of those religious forums, a huge circlejerk.

This thread is like one of those religious forums, a huge circlejerk.

Could you use your other hand? :yay:

Could you use your other hand? :yay:

Sure, just to contribute the thread I'll say playing ArmA 2 didn't change the way I think about anything at all. Perhaps it made me think how much wasted potential the multiplayer is. I for one am perhaps the only one who plays an FPS accordingly to its playstyle in this thread, playing other FPS or RTS don't matter how I play ArmA and vice-versa.

Well i dont really intend for it to be a huge circle jerk lol.

I intensely enjoyed the 1st half-life and tomb raider 2 last time, but i dont think i want to spend 30min looking for a ledge to jump to even tho i have the urge to play it again as we are having less and less gaming time when i get older.

I think BIS is making games that other developers deliberately abandoned to go for an easy money making scheme like making games that people will only play for half a year then releasing a new one.

I miss games like Close combat 3, DID F22 total war, Jagged alliance, mechwarrior 3, Fallout 2 RTS, Swat 3, Apache/Havok, capitalism 2.

When i look at the game shop shelves nowadays there's usually an abundant of FPS or hack and slash type of games and repeating the same recipe over and over again is really not attractive to me. Either the developer are getting lazy or out of ideas like most of hollywood movies beats me.

I think i'm just getting bored with the normal FPS game style, shooting sideways, small maps, limited pathways, putting 10 rounds to kill a bad guy. It's been going on since doom and serious sam until now. The only difference was just better graphics and different story line.

I'm not saying BC2 is worse than arma2 but it's considered as a different genre, yeah please enjoy it as i have enjoyed the 1st half life, Halo and battlefield 1942.

So can anyone recommend me other interesting games?

I'm only talking about how Arma 2 affects my interest in other modern FPS wargames... not games in general. Nothing really compares to Arma 2 within its own genre... but there are games in other genres that I would consider just as fun, but in an entirely different setting.

I have withdrawals at work and Arma II won't work on my laptop, so I installed OP:F on it tonight :D

My name is Gulag and I'm Arma2 addicted, I can't play other games, please don't help me.

I guess Arma2 doesn't make you discriminate other games, rather it shows what a game can be.

I've always been into gaming because of virtual reality: the most unscripted freedom you had, the better the experience was for me. A2 just shows how the current trend is to make games more simple and stupid, instead of giving more freedom.

I know this, because I enjoyed GTA4, I enjoyed Oblivion:Nehrim (modded ElderScrolls 4, which gives you a full new world), and I was bored with all current scripted, "hallway" shooters, where gaming mechanics and scripts were soooo obvious.

To sum it up: if you feel that -as a player- you are part of a larger world: it is a good game for me. If you feel that there is nothing beyond the closed doors of your corridor: is a bad game. Arma2 is on the top in this regard.

Typical time spent gaming for me...(thinks to self)

'Maybe I'm playing Arma 2 too much, let me load up one of my many ignored games.'

Plays for a few minutes, "this is too simple, 'Too linear' 'dumbed down' etc

Loads up Arma 2 again...

Like many others, I do enjoy the older Ghost Recon, and Rainbow Six and RTS strategy, but modern FPS's....this is the only way to go.

Edited by Mustangdelta