Sign in to follow this  
gunso

Did Arma2 makes you discriminate other FPS games?

Wow, Close Combat (especially 3) - the memories :D

I play Ofp from 2001-2008, in 2008 i have new computer and i buy arma 1 but i dont like this game i play only few times.Then 2009 Arma 2 and i play non stop, newer uninstalled it and my arma 2 folder is biger evry day.I play other fps to but after i finish them i press uninstall, arma 2 will newer by delated from my hdd. And yes i discriminate other fps they are so simple wenn you look at Arma2.

I play Cod4 and BC2 here. and ofcourse Im waiting for BF3 and Rage. but not really hyped about MW3. but if Arma3 is all that I hope, maybe Im going to play Arma3 only. so, no, arma doesnt makes me discriminate other fps

Are you me?

Since I started playing ArmA2 I demand my games to be realistic and have bullet trajectory and stuff like that and how 'Realistic games are superior.' and so on.

:p

Yeah they have. I still play COD and BF for fun but I often get annoyed at the extreme contrast.

Yeah they have. I still play COD and BF for fun but I often get annoyed at the extreme contrast.

For me its the opposite, if I want to think and use tactics I play ARMA or other realistic shooters. And if I dont want to think and only run into the crowds guns blazing I play COD. If I want something between I pick BFBC2.

Completley agree with da OP. When I first tried OFP was like "OMFG -this is what I've always wanted!". Didn't know about the modding scene until CoC and there I saw the potential for even larger gaming.

Stopped gaming for a while, and when I came back Battlefield2 was all the rage and I had forgotten about OFP. Enjoyed BF2 for a bit but felt something was missing as the levels seemed small and repetitive so tried a "mod" that increased level size -when low and behold....the AI didn't know how to function outside of their scripted environments and literally just stood frozen.

Knowing something was severely wrong, I remembered my good times of OFP and redownloaded the demo.....FREEDOM!!! TWas sweet and was spoiled with it from then on out.

I've had fun with Swat4 and maybe a weeks worth with the obtuse BFBC2 but I always start missing the freedom of action.

Wow, Close Combat (especially 3) - the memories :D

:D yeah, i'm willing to wait for Bis arma series to get close to close combat 3.

Imagine combining arma 2/3 with moral/discipline function like close combat based on your soldier experience.

Imagine having a sandbox game that your unit will gain experience and be better after every firefight and kills. Getting new recruits that will panic to replace your lost units but gets better when staying near a commander and surviving a battle. Choosing easier missions until you have hardcore veterans as your unit. (kinda sounds like RPG to me XD)

makes you want all your unit to survive the battle like you're supposed to, not disposable like current arma2.

Damn we can even have PVP between multiple commanders where you position your units and selecting it from pool exactly like the old close combat series.

I should post this in the request your mission thread :eek:

Edited by gunso

Yes. Since OFP

From Ghost Recons and R6s (and I mean old ones) to all those BFs.

What's the point in playing them?

Imagine having a sandbox game that your unit will gain experience and be better after every firefight and kills.

Hmmm... I think it was called OFP Resistance

Yes. Since OFP

From Ghost Recons and R6s (and I mean old ones) to all those BFs.

What's the point in playing them?

Hmmm... I think it was called OFP Resistance

really? damn how could i missed that...:eek:

Well it was somewhat primitive but your troops did get better "stats" with each mission going from unresponsive blind rookie to an expert with lightningly fast reflexes. Losing experts was painful as soldiers weren't respawning (BAF campaign was somewhat inspired by OFP Resistance)

The thing is soldiers kinda have "stats" in OFP/ArmA.

There are "stats" for aiming precision, spotting distance, spotting reaction time, courage (read - morale) etc. that via scripting can be set differently for each soldier (check out "The Forgotten Few" mission in User Missions forum/Armaholic - I believe it has that done that way).

Basically what you need is already in the game. You can either adjust it by simply setting AI skill higher (in that case all stats become higher altogether) or each stat via more in-depth scripting (Robalo's ASR AI Skills mod kinda does it that way)

Mission maker just needs to script it in his campaign/mission.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/132/ffscreen9.jpg/

Edited by metalcraze

The thing is soldiers kinda have "stats" in OFP/ArmA.

There are "stats" for aiming precision, spotting distance, spotting reaction time, courage (read - morale) etc. that via scripting can be set differently for each soldier (check out "The Forgotten Few" mission in User Missions forum/Armaholic - I believe it has that done that way).

Not in OFP.

On the whole I agree with most on here - A2/CO is tops for tactical shooters and makes it hard for me to play others.

I would say the original GR and R6/RVS are the only other three games/sims that I feel did a better job overall than A2/CO. And really RVS was great on so many levels but UBI dropping any real ability to mod it....makes it below A2/CO.

I can't even pick up other FPS games any more. I look at them and it pretty much always boils down to "this isn't OFP/ArmA/etc". Not sure I'll ever be able go to back.

Playing the OFP/Arma series has made me look at other games much more closely, yes. I get sick to my stomach playing cod. I hate the random bullet spread.

Currently the only game I can go back to is Aces High II

Yeah, OpF worked its magic on me. When i played the latest Medal of Honor i thought 'great sounds, shit game'. Driving around in FPS feels like i'm navigating some fake shooting scenery in Disneyland.

What i really enjoyed recently was LEGO Starwars and Pirates o.t.C., maybe its because these games are so totally different hahaha :D

I still play my console games, CoD, BC2, ME2, etc. They're still fun to play whether or not they're realistic.

I do enjoy the realism factor of Arma, especially playing dynamic campaigns that require you to keep your team alive. Makes you actually use your brain. Tactics are certainly used in CoD and BC2, just differently. ArmA II is all about maneuvering into a position where you can decimate the bad guys or pin them long enough to walk air onto them. CoD obviously has none of that so it's map knowledge, being able to anticipate a spawn switch, reflexes, and a good connection. Bad Company is similar but you don't need to worry about spawns, you just need to communicate quickly and often.

I play all my games, CS 1.6, Half Life series, Gmod, DoD, Arma, Arma 2 CO, men of war, and many many more. Each game is fun-I dont care if its not realistic because Im not a retard.

I play all my games, CS 1.6, Half Life series, Gmod, DoD, Arma, Arma 2 CO, men of war, and many many more. Each game is fun-I dont care if its not realistic because Im not a retard.

This part confuses me. :p

Did Arma2 makes you discriminate other FPS games?

yes, since OFP , other games are for me hollywood toys

if i had time to play anything, 95% of time was OFP/Arma, 3% was RTCW, 2% other games like Black Mirror1/2/3, Max Payne1, AVP1/2, SoF 2, You are empty

except BIS games, rest do not matter for me

Every once in a while, I like to pull out a pistol or rifle, load up the mags with the cheapest off the shelf ammo, and take aim at as many targets as I can bunch up together at 50 feet. This sums up how I feel about CoD and BF games anymore. If I play them, it's just to enjoy the shooting gallery.

Played most of this weekend during the black ops free weekend, since our clan's server was full the whole time. Was fun to get back to it after a few months. But now that it's over, I probably won't bother for another few months.

CoD/BF/Etc = Target Practice.

I play other games also, but for different reasons obviously. There is a reason why I've logged 8 hours into BC2 and 300 into Arma2 CO though (bought at the same time) and I fell I've only scratched the surface of A2CO. Arma2 hasn't made me discriminate other FPS games, but it's sometimes hard not to compare any other FPS game to it.

Used to play R6 Raven Shield quite a bit. Thrilling, unforgiving and fast with quite a bit of tactics and relatively realistic. Good times :) wonder if anyone plays anymore...

Edited by Sokka
typos

Cc. FPS, COD the early years, WWII and BF, progressed to BF project reality and other mods, yet discovered ARMA II so all other things where shelved as it provides more realism and offers so much more and imho ARMA can't really be compared as it's a different genre altogether (Simulation)

on occasion I still run: IL2 HSFX / MOW.AS and or trying out a RPG but mainly it's

ARMA II - ACE2 - JSRS sound - and some other mods as the occasion calls for it

Yes, a little.

Only FPSs I frequently play are the old ones:

R6/RVS

Ghost recon

Swat 3/4

Hidden & dangerous 2

I must admitt that I find COD:WaW pretty good though, because of WW2 setting.