Sign in to follow this  
gunso

Did Arma2 makes you discriminate other FPS games?

One of the closest games i played in my early days that is really close to combat sim is close combat 3 (Controlling multiple squads with moral system and other cool stuffs) and i'm thinking wow if there's a 3D version of this game it would be awesome. (

)

Then I found Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis, one of the game that that made me happy for so many hours especially with the awesome big map, forcing you to think about different approach for every missions and high replay value but the best thing was at that time - SCAVENGING ACTUAL WEAPON THAT THE ENEMY IS USING!!.

Too bad i didn't know about mods,mp and custom missions at that time since my internet is almost non existent and the speed really sucks.

Then i found arma2 :D which combines both of the 2 elements above!! Especially Warfare BE which is an actual resemblance of close combat 3 plus 3D mode which is fukken awsome.

But the problem now, when i tried playing other newer FPS games like crysis 2 and etc and found that the path is linear, map is small, taking multiple hits from enemies or at enemies to kill and etc really gives me a bitter taste in my mouth.

Tried playing team fortress 2 and all i can hear are screaming/swearing on the mic and jumping tactics by online players making me close the games after 5 min into it.

So wtf is arma2? Digital drugs or does BIS implement some subliminal messages in their games or something? :p

or maybe i'm just too old for fast pace games anymore......:o

Now i cant stand other FPS games anymore and found my hand automatically click arma2 everytime i'm thinking of playing a game.....;)

Edited by gunso

It depends. I wish more games would try to do actual bullet trajectories rather than random bullet spread, and that's usually the first thing that will make me turn my nose when playing, but I just lower my expectations on some things and I'm fine...unless the game itself is just plan bad.

Yep. OFP spoiled me. Didn't even touch all that PRed stuff like battlefield and medal of honour lines. Tried first crysis to see what was all that hype about. Removed it after few missions. OFP didnt have that flying camera orb with glued gun. This thing is what really puts OFP/ARMA to another level compared to simple shooters. And that thing is what made me hate other games (:

I've always been discriminating but I still enjoyed the Battlefield Series, I stopped at BF2 but will buy BF3. CoD and CS, Halo aren't my style.

Ever since Ive started playing arma 2 ive been hating on every other war game. I actually feel bad for people who think CoD is so awesome. They have to play arma 2 and see what theyre missing out on. CoD is a fun game but other people have to try arma 2. Also the BF series and Crysis is fun. Crysis was cool. Had zero G levels fighting the aliens and cool gadgets. Nice shoot em up. Same with BF BC 2.

yep, BIS games are the only one's I play now

Addicted to ArmA 2/OA

Ex addict of ArmA 1

Future ArmA 3, TOH and CC:GM addict :D

Edited by ArmAriffic
typo

Yesterday i thought to myself: Hey, you don´t touch another game for a long time now, always A2 can´t be the goal. So i reinstalled a few other FPS and get bored after a few minutes.That really surprised me. In the end i played OFP :D.

Funny to find this Thread today.

There are a lot of things that could be made better in the OFP series, but hey look at other games! So many things you can´t do!

yeah cti with ofp was awesome, but i can't say the same with arma.

Theres old school CTI on the Angry Insects servers pretty often.

Yes, definitely.

Back in the days OFP opened my eyes. Every other FPS I touched had to pass through the standards of Operation Flashpoint. :) And so so so so so many just failed miserably...

Of course I also play(ed) other games like Battlefield: Bad Company 2 or Call of Juarez but generally not longer than a week or so. After that the fun was gone and it felt boring. OFP-Arma 2 were games I could play over YEARS which NEVER became boring. What a difference! :)

Edited by Undeceived

I'm pretty much the best FPS player in the universe, I just don't play any others besides UT3 and the OFP/ArmA series. goditannoysmetosaythatbecauseCMhasruinedthegoddamnname

What Arma 2 and the rest of BIS' games have done is made me discriminate all other games depending on how their developers support them. I will no longer buy games from developers who don't care at all about the people who buy them.

Other than that, no.

Nah, i just like gaming, if Arma never had an editor then the game would have been in the trash long ago because just for me personally the campaign was... not happening, and games like Stalker, GTA and just lately L.A. Noire clean up for immersion.

And for all the hate thrown at COD i find its an easy FPS fix, im on a full server in under a minute, 4-5 maps and im done, and as much as i swear i hate the game with spawn kills and bunny hoppers etc i find 7 times out of 10 i have fun.

But Arma's a different drug, because theres a hundred different angles that you can approach it from, and if your hooked you'll eventually explore all them angles and dabble in this, dabble in that... Arma is probably more a hobby than it is a game... which hurts my dwindling social life!

I'm pretty much the best FPS player in the universe,

After me.

I've downloaded and played nearly every release that scores 8.5 or higher over a few reviewers... mass effect 2 has been the only one I have completed... well spent more than 2 hours with.

Will always and only really ever be ArmAverse for me.

I am better than you 76 so by definition I am AWESOME!!!

Sorry, I digress... :p

Apart from playing Lord of the Rings (please don't slate me, I have a wife and 3 daughters...!) I cannot play any other FPS. I used to play MW and others of that ilk but I am not going to buy any other FPS apart from what BIS produces.

The other stuff just doesn't "do it" for me.

I play different games dependable of my mood, I can enjoy both a quick match in COD 4 and sneak around in ARMA2, my favourite game (except ARMA2) Is hovever BFBC 2 it mixes a little of both, even if its more arcade.

yeah i really agree on the numbers of different angle you can approach in a single mission or even multiplayer.

Other games lets me be a heavy gunner or sniper and etc etc. But Bis games actually lets me roleplay into a different character even in multiplayer without selecting classes.

tell me other games that allow me to control a lot of AI's at my disposal. >=3

Bought valve orange box last week offer for 15bucks and when i tried playing half life ep2 i keep thinking why cant i just blow the damn fence again and again. And tried team fortress 2 MP and i'm aghast with how the mic is being used in that game compared to arma2.

Arma2 is the 1st game that i bought after trying a pirate copy. Warfare is what got me hook to it and sent me scrambling for an original copy the next day =P

The best thing with an original copy is that it lessen the load on my PC a LOT playing MP while enjoying the vast battle that will cripple my PC. You dont see other games like that!

I started to play all shooters the way I play Arma. Suddenly, everything becomes dead-easy. MW2 on highest difficulty is a piece of cake if you stick to cover, and move with patience, for example. Enemies simply run out in front of you, and the game turns into a flat out shooting gallery.

Other games are more successful at wringing the Arma out of me, for example Metro 2033.

But I´m still somewhat spoiled by the OFP series. The true one, not CMs.

Ever since Ive started playing arma 2 ive been hating on every other war game. I actually feel bad for people who think CoD is so awesome.

What we're all forgetting here is that ArmA and OFP are aimed at a very distinct audience. Most people who play COD, Halo etc. do not share the same respect for military simulation based games as we do, and the somewhat realistic nature of the gameplay that comes with them. The "speed" of ArmA differs greatly from your average FPS, and most gamers are after something a little more fast-paced.

What we're all forgetting here is that ArmA and OFP are aimed at a very distinct audience. Most people who play COD, Halo etc. do not share the same respect for military simulation based games as we do, and the somewhat realistic nature of the gameplay that comes with them. The "speed" of ArmA differs greatly from your average FPS, and most gamers are after something a little more fast-paced.

I can agree with that, many of my friends are tracking me down because I happen to like ARMA2.

I still like other games like the Battlefield series for I like to do some teamwork with my mates and release steam if I had a bad day.Though I will admit ever since playing Operation Flashpoint onwards, I have had a hatred for some FPS games as communitys in them are not as friendly as BI's.

In Arma there is lots of communitys with mature players out there who dont scream or throw their bottle out the pram so to speak.Though I wouldnt say all FPS are bad as I play games like Red Orchestra and find that is a nice fit between an FPS and a BI game,so I wouldnt say Arma has affected my judgement for games but more their communitys within it im sure this is the same with other gamers maybe not many but some.

Long live arma and the mature gamer.:cool:

I can agree with that, many of my friends are tracking me down because I happen to like ARMA2.

The fact that the game doesn't hold your hand every step of the way is enough to draw most players away from the game. This is probably the very aspect of the game that keeps most of us playing.

When I played OFP for the first time (I remember jumping straight into the single mission, 'Ambush', having pretty much no idea what I was doing), I didn't really like it very much. It took a lot uninstalling/installing over a few months, plus a good 45 minutes+ before I got the hang of just the controls, let alone grasp the concept of the gameplay and get to the stage where I could tackle some of the objectives with a decent level of confidence in what I was doing.

I was very young back then though, I suppose this played a big part in my outlook on the game.

Edited by hungrytoheal

I had a "yard stick" of which to base my views on and they were 2001 - 2007 Ghost Recon (Original only) / Raven Shield (yeh I know but I wasn't looking far enough at the time for BIS)

2007 up to now Arma/2 BIS ...

And if nothing fits I debate purchase based on "I know its never going to be Arma2 but do I want fun or get annoyed" ... then I buy it on the fun factor.

Obviously that doesn't cover genres like flying/driving .. but for Flying IL2 1945 pack as a yardstick and then for driving Richard Burns Rally as a physics yard stick.

Then anything else is price drop & bargain bucket searching and keeping it purely for fun and to flip too in parts when I have overdosed on the "yard sticks" :)

Once you have tasted what Arma / any sandbox offers (and I mean taken time to fully understand and work with it) .. going back seems quite a restriction.

Edited by mrcash2009

Playing BIS games since release of OFP CWC back in 2001. Best investment in PC games I've ever made. It keeps me busy for ten long years now. Other FPS was one play through (if ever . . . some I've never finished) and then put them back on the shelf where they are gathering dust. LOL.:D

kind regards

BIS games totally spoiled me!

I played those first titles of MoH, CoD and all the other games who came out that time and couldnt find them entertaining after playing OFP. Crysis falls into the same category.

Those games are SO lame, boring and easy!

The funny thing is, when you play OFP/ArmA seriously you cant avoid learning real world combat tactics and this is the point where you will become a superior player to other players from different games. I noticed that while playing BF:Free2Play just today. I end up being at the top of the ranking list almost every time. Other people just dont understand how to flank an enemy or how important it is to capture zones rather than killing people just for the sake of it. They dont even know the simpliest CQB rules like shooting and changing firing position or retreating and flanking when facing 2 or more enemies...

It sounds kinda crazy but BI made a soldier out of me *g*