Sign in to follow this  
kassu86

Confused beginner

Salute!

I bought ARMA2 Operation Arrowhead standalone from gamersgate week ago and now I started to look at the mods. I am little bit confused thoug. Do I need also the original ARMA2 to play these mods?

Also do you guys use joysticks to control helicopters and fixed wing ac?

You need the original Arma 2 for a lot of things. Usually it's mentioned in the requirements, though.

I use mouse and keyboard to fly.

G'day kassu86 :)

Really depends on what the mod is... but mate, I highly recommend getting ArmA 2 regardless .

Chernarus is a beautiful environment, utes is a great little island.

Here's an offer.... I'll buy you ArmA 2, just think of the way you want it and we'll arrange it...

I'm being serious, you seem like you are into this genre and if you are then you need it and I get it for ya.

pm me... whatever :)

edit:

Joystick/controller... once you get use to the KB and mouse it really does work alot better so for me nar,

no joysticks etc in ArmA... I have a Saitek Cyborg X but only for DCS: Black Shark

Edited by 76

Should've bought AA2 CO dude. It's nearly the same price as AA2 OA and you get the original AA2 too.

Yes you need AA2.

Especially if you are planning to use ACE2 (and a lot of servers use it, the most popular mod after all).

Also AA2 has Chernarus. A magnificent map that is.

G'day kassu86 :)

Really depends on what the mod is... but mate, I highly recommend getting ArmA 2 regardless .

Chernarus is a beautiful environment, utes is a great little island.

Here's an offer.... I'll buy you ArmA 2, just think of the way you want it and we'll arrange it...

I'm being serious, you seem like you are into this genre and if you are then you need it and I get it for ya.

pm me... whatever :)

edit:

Joystick/controller... once you get use to the KB and mouse it really does work alot better so for me nar,

no joysticks etc in ArmA... I have a Saitek Cyborg X but only for DCS: Black Shark

Wow nice dude this is why ARMA community RULES.

OP be careful though he may want some thing in return ;) ;) hahahahahaha

OP be careful though he may want some thing in return ;) ;) hahahahahaha

His wife for one entire evening.. Muh..ha...ha...haaaaaaaaaaa :)

His wife for one entire evening.. Muh..ha...ha...haaaaaaaaaaa :)

Maybe he is gay? so you may end up with his man wife :P.

Offer still stands.

Okay, so i'm in the same position as this guy. \:

I most recently bought Arma II: OA and absolutely love it.

I've downloaded a few mission mods etc. and just got ACE II. I love warsims and only came across it from playing on Operation Flashpoint both red river and dragon rising through a friend.

It's probably my favourite game right now but I don't know whether or not to get the original Arma II, i've been watching some videos and it looks brilliant and the maps are so much better than just some of the barren desserts in OA.

Worth getting, especially for use with mods? :/

Yes. You can't get the most worthwhile user-made content to work without Combined Ops.

Hey guys I'm brand new to ArmA as well, and along the lines of this thread...

I have ArmA II Reinforcements, is this an all encompassing or do I also need to get the base ArmA II?

Yes.

Base ArmA2 has a very nicely detailed eastern european map Chernarus (225 sq. km - a little bigger than Takistan and Zargabad put together) providing for a more "jungle-ish" gameplay instead of "desert-ish" one you have now. A lot of grass, bushes and forests - completely different experience.

Plus it has USMC and Russian factions along with fictional CDF and two rebel ones and a lot of weapons and vehicles not present in OA and RFT.

Installing ACE2 mod (which is the most popular mod in MP) also to some degree brings AA2 content to OA standards like letting AA2 units use backpacks, original AA2 weapons getting working lasers and lights, secondary ironsights, FLIR for AA2 tanks etc.

Thanks for the reply and the heads up.

I might pick up ArmA 2 today as I saw it for $50 down the road, I'm highly interested in adding mods, in particular the A.C.R.E (as I'm a radio operator) and the Aussie addons :)

I might pick up ArmA 2 today as I saw it for $50 down the road

They're ripping you off, Oz buck or no. :(

ACRE and ACE are an often encountered pair in an organized multiplayer so yeah

Sprocket may have ArmA2 at a lower price. If a digital download is OK with you.

I think there should be no problems combining AA2 content and RFT content although I'm not sure so maybe someone other can confirm that combining it is no different from OA+AA2

Too many versions to confuse too many ppl i say, they should really just sell A2 CO and Reinforcements and pull the rest to get the ppl on 1 level again.

Hello all. I am a new player as well. Maybe we could all meet online and pay the campaign in co-op we can all learn that way? let me know what you think.

AO and British Forces add on's I don't have Acre or ace installed.

Sound good?

Steam > oOPara73Oo and I have teamspeak as well. oO Para Oo

I too am totally confused, even after doing all of the bootcamp stuff.

might have to dl the manual off steam and have a good read.

I'd be happy to pop on with you, if you can get on at 3:35 AM before Friday. (US Central Time) Make sure to do OA coop though, as vanilla A2's is a total mess, so I've heard.

not sure if this is the right place to discusses this, please help if possible :) basically I was wondering if I can play on-line with my brothers and use one of their CD keys or do I have to buy my own

Put that in the New Player Q&A thread. I'm not sure about this myself, but it's more likely someone will notice this if you place your question in said thread.

I'm better at gameplay questions.

You can play on LAN with the same key, but not on the internet.

This depends on the server. Some servers allow the same key from different players.

Can you?.

So if I install my copy of ARMA on 2 computers in my house over LAN and then create and play from one machine the other will connect as well with no issues?.

If so sweet this is new I may even get another pc up and going now then so me mate can play when he comes round :)

Can you?.

So if I install my copy of ARMA on 2 computers in my house over LAN and then create and play from one machine the other will connect as well with no issues?.

If so sweet this is new I may even get another pc up and going now then so me mate can play when he comes round :)

I'm not completely sure, though. My experiences are limited to running two instances of Arma 2 and joining the same LAN game, which I can't do in internet games.