Sign in to follow this  
m241shotk1ll

Nobody plays anymore, atleast for MP

Haven't read all the replies here, but the "problem" with Arma-series is the same as its strength. It's a milsim (more than any other game out there) and this requires discipline. Now, if there's anything BFx and CODx have teached us is that most players play to suit their personality and they prefer casual gaming. Most games want you to enjoy the game as you like while Arma has pretty strict "rules" as to how play. While the other games can satisfy both needs (dicipline vs casual), Arma series only facilitate the former.

The thing is that most players here prefer the discipline-path and I have no doubts that they really enjoy it but that doesn't suit all personalities out there. While BF and COD rewards run&gun, those who don't like it can seek more organized forms. Arma series is only enjoyable for the disciplined crowd due to its enormous size (i.e. no constant action).

In order to avoid the action-monkeys, most disciplined servers are private and that's a good thing. However, I believe BIS has to facilitate two things - 1) allow random people seeking disciplined servers to find them and 2) facilitate action junkies. All the other games recruits into the action-part and those "seeking" discipline will eventually grow tired and "evolve" into discipline. Since we're lacking the first part, the recruitment to the second part suffers.

It's not all on the vets either. New players need to not be morons if they expect a warm reaction. Learning what ArmA is and is not will go away and playing as a team even further.

When they come on a server and whine and crash vehicles because they can't fly and refuse to get on TeamSpeak to coordinate, then yeah, we'll treat them like the trash they are. But if they show half a brain and realize they need to learn to play as a team then sure, they'll be accepted and well treated.

Agreed, One of the first few times on my old clans server I placed 21 satties around

main base in 'Evolution' (Armed Assault), got banned, email the head admin

and told the truth said I was a twat etc etc (not the "my younger

brother...") and was unbanned, six months later I became an admin

there.

Sadly it's maybe 1 in 3 new players that I've met recently who actually play seriously vs just being a dolt. That's without PvP too, with PvP noobs I bet it's 1 in a 100. ;)

Not to sure on the coop numbers but for us is rather good, its far more like

1 in 5 are smacktards, the other 4 may tk from time to time as they get use

to the pace and learn to developing lightning quick recognition for friend or

foe but they mix in well... also maybe cause some maps a pure carnage so

their able to release the inner tard :P

Cheaters using Hax don't ruin the game, they go for max 1 hour (AAS /

C&H etc) so there little loss from cheaters, and tards will get their ass

whipped by the PvP player anyway so they just disconnect.

Truly, 1 spoiler for 4 good players is being pretty modest.

:)

76 i remember the pvp games you helped to run before the server move. When the pvp server was full and that was pretty often it got so intense and the firefights were nothing like ive seen in a coop. Smoother too !

AI are good for training..

When does PR come out? or did it already? lol, Like I said I'm new to PC gaming really and built this computer for Arma 2, BF3, And Arma 3 when that comes out. So the whole idea of finding servers and installing mods and which ones to get i'm totally clueless on still, but i'm doing some research on all that

I think you answered your own question......

ArmA takes work, and research..... If you need help PM me, I'll try and answer any questions you have.

Bookmark this site if you haven't already,

armaholic.com

Hello all

I almost exclusively play on public servers as I have not yet found a clan or private server that doesn't get too elitist.

I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I haven't found one.

Anyway, whilst on pub servers I often find chaps and chapesses to team up with and end up having a whale Of a Time. It just takes a little effort.

One often has to coax people in to communicating. ( calling tgts. Etc), but once guys have some direction, people start to come to life.

The only time its hard to get stuff done is if you have a group on TS, as often they will forget too use regular comms for those not on TS themselves. Not always but I do see this frrequently.

Also, to the pvp naysayers, of which I was one, pvp in a2 can be wonderful. Not cs runny jumpy pvp but true milsim gameplay.

Lastly, i dont think theres a right or wrong way to play arma, just the way thats best for you, as long as its appropriate for that server.

Rgds

Lok

Edited by orlok

There's no elitism. It's the truth

Hahaha... Oh yes there is.

I just joined my first game since many, many months ago. Hud DK or whatever the server is called, a Danish Domination server. I've always enjoyed it in the past, lots of action there and usually friendly people. Well I play a while and end up next to the wreck pad, chilling in the wreck helo and had an... interesting... situation. To cut it short, this is basicly what happened:

Some dude: "Get out"

Me: "Why?"

Some dude: "Get out or I shoot you"

Me: "There's no more wrecks so its not like this helo can do anything, why do I have to get out"

*fires a couple of shots*

Me: "Once again, why?"

*Some dude kills me*

Some dude: "Told you"

Now some of you may say that I should have just gotten out, but I'm not in the habit of abandoning a helicopter to an apparently random guy threatening to kill me if I dont.

I asked him again, why he needed me out. Well it turns out the wreck helo is for wrecks and there's rules about it you have to obey (*GASP WHAT A SHOCKER!*)

I told him that I had just recovered the abandoned helicopter in the middle of nowhere, repaired it, flown it all the way across the map, picked up a Stryker, repaired the Stryker, picked up an MGS, repaired that too and was now chilling next to the wreck pad because there where no more wrecks.

But no. There are rules to obey, the wreck helo is only for wreck recovery! You have to keep collecting wrecks, possibly turn every wrock in Takistan to find them otherwise you're abusing the helicopter by having it parked in the base.

Arguing against him earned me a kick and possibly a ban from the server, guess I'll find out if I bother to join it tomorrow or something. I really dont even know why I bothered to land in the first place, I should have just smashed into a hillside for laughs or something.

Its so fun to come back to Arma II and witness the relaxed, non-elitist community first hand. I see no reason why it should be so bad for new players?!?

Edited by Murklor

Next he'll tell you to join passworded servers because public games are for CS kiddies.

I had tons more fun playing COOP in the demo's then I do now with the full version.

Domination servers seem to be ok but more often then not the other COOP rounds

always seem to have some guy who thinks he's Patton trying to micro-manage every single move or shot you make, weezing into his mic while horfing pizza pockets.

I play on Battlefield 2142 servers were most of the Commanders are under 18

and see a lot more maturity from them by a long shot.

Like I've said before. there are a large number of people in sim, D&D, RTS games

that really love to suck the fun out of everything they touch.

Star Trek is a cool show but I wouldn't be caught dead at a convention

William Shatner got it right. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x930vt_william-shatner-snl-skit-get-a-life_fun

On Command

It has been my experience that command on public servers often fall into a few familiar pitfalls.

1. Command is flavoured by wishfull thinking or half remembered/missunderstood real life techniques that have little bearing in Arma2. (painful assaults over open terrain or on forward slopes follow)

2. Commander nor subordinates do not allow enough time for proper recon of the area. (prefering instead to just blast away)

3. Commander is a bit of a twat and therefore ignored. (ie: failing to read the mood of the server/understand ones own limitations)

For better or worse I've both taken and had command situations thrust upon me in both public and private settings. *shrug* If you never jump you will never fly. Complaining at the lack of teamwork-- yet being unwilling to actually initiate something yourself shows a rather detrimental attitude.

Whats with all the recruit servers?

The one thing I'm really missing-- but think have a ton of potential-- would be more smaller servers running quick nonrespawn COOPs and assymetric TDMs on EXPERT mode. I tire of the large scale monolithic mission and prefer more personal experiences. In fact more more servers willing to try harder game modes would be very welcome indeed.*

Expert mode* is more difficult because it challenges more and sometimes seperate skillsets. Lack of crosshair produces more interesting PvP, because you need to practice more with the weapons to get a feel for them. More sensitive AI means that you need fewer of them to produce a deadly threat as well as enforcing more careful movement. That the enemy doesn't show on your map (nor indeed your own location) means that navigation becomes a relevant skill. Indeed for some of you the game will become as new.

All this resulting in a much more vivid and exciting experience.

-k

*And before someone wastes their breath, well bytes, complaining about AK snipers. Its more down to how you move and work together than superhuman AI.

Interesting thread :)

As a server admin I see one of the main reasons for the lack of MP numbers and diversity on a daily basis: It's the complexity and incompatibility of ArmA's version and mod universe. See also this hilarious thread.

I literally get hundreds of failed connects to my CO server every day due to version and signature mismatches. To a noob this must be a pretty frustrating experience... Heck, even for me as an OFP veteran sorting out the mod sync and Vanilla/OA/CO/beta confusion is still very time consuming and frustrating at times... unless you stick to the same server or play offline.

I REALLY, REALLY hope that BIS will learn out of this experience by providing a better game browser and mod conflict resolution mechanism in their future products.

Just my .2$

Edited by daikan

Sorry about this little plug but it might help some of you find what you might be looking for.

If you like layed back coop missions, friendly helpful people please come and join us on LOL Majors. We use ts3 but it is not necessary. We have Six Updater supported mods or a mod download section on our website that will have you gaming with us in no time. We have a world wide membership so we have games going for EU and US times. We have been an established clan for almost 10 years. We are mostly players at age 40 or over. We don't have crosshairs, we don't have respawn. We accept noobs and try to teach them the game but we don't allow noobish players. Learn from your mistakes and mind you manners or you will have no problems. Foul language ok (we are adults) racist comments or abusive behavior not allowed. We don't do CTI, CTF or that other instant gratification stuff, we play 1 life coop.

So if you are looking for a fun mature game that is not too strict check us out. All the info you need can be found at www.nakedsquid.com.

Thanks for the plug time sorry if I offended anyone with it but I think some of you that are not satisfied with what you are finding out there might be looking for what we provide.

PS. if our server shows yellow connect anyway and see what you need, you may need nothing at all.

Hullo

Just a quickie.

@jblackrupert I also had the best time in both the Arma demos. A shame the commeraderie isn't so prevelent on pub servers any more.

Rgds

Lok

Hi all

Odd that was playing on a full 60 plus player server only last week:

http://arma2.swec.se/server/data/141550

Everyday around 6:00pm ish you will see 60 plus players on the DAO Server

There are several other servers in this range once a week

http://arma2.swec.se/server/list

If you click on any server in the list you can get its specifics.

and about 30 servers a night in the 30 plus players range

On some days games on servers have run to 100 plus players. Hint sort on player numbers.

http://arma2.swec.se/game/list

To the OP: So what Time of day was it when you saw few players?

It may be that you are not using your in game browser properly:

If you are using the BIS browser ensure you are sorting on number of players field in the table, click the player numbers header so that the browser sorts by highest number of players.

The default sort is by Ping. This means servers that are:

1) Physically close to you eg a client based server running from some ones bedroom

2) Have few or no players on them taking up ping.

By sorting by number of players you ensure it is a fast enough server to cope with that many players and thus you can more or less ignore ping and that you are playing on a popular game form that others find fun.

There is an infinite number of game forms in ArmA and this is a shock to most new players. So pay attention to each new game form you play. Some have spawn some do not, some have teleport some don't etc.

There is some information on game forms here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=79628

A) If you are starting out Valhalla is probably the vanilla game type to start with. It is fairly easy to get in to if you come from the standard FPS crowd.

Be aware that many ArmA servers are locked and or hidden in order to keep out riff raff.

Also that some of the larger communities are invite only. Though most large communities run vanilla public servers as recruiting platforms.

If you want to play in large missions you will eventually need to join a community who play the kind of game form you like.

There is a section of the forum specifically devoted to this:

http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90

On another note this thread should really be in the Multiplayer section of the forum ;) :

http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

It may be that you are not using your in game browser properly

Wait there's a proper way to use the ingame browser?!?! :eek:

I noticed now when returning to the game since BC2 released an eon ago, that the browser still display random servers everytime I refresh. Oh there's a 20/30 player green server - REFRESH - no wait its not. But there's another 30/50 player server I didnt see the last time, awesome - REFRESH - max populated server has 13 players on it.

:rolleyes:

Either I agree, the saturation of missions, the complete lack of a uniform gameplay mode really puts new players off. I'm still very dissapointed Domination never turned into that single, simple hey-its-a-compromise-live-with-it gameplay mode with a fixed feature set. Its still has random features on random versions scattered across servers. We're drowning in options. It's like a mission within a mission within a mission.

Edited by Murklor

Hi all

Just to reiterate to the OP from my previous post:

...It may be that you are not using your in game browser properly:

If you are using the BIS browser ensure you are sorting on number of players field in the table, click the player numbers header so that the browser sorts by highest number of players.

The default sort is by Ping. This means servers that are:

1) Physically close to you eg a client based server running from some ones bedroom

2) Have few or no players on them taking up ping.

By sorting by number of players you ensure it is a fast enough server to cope with that many players and thus you can more or less ignore ping and that you are playing on a popular game form that others find fun...

On the point Murklor raises

... We're drowning in options. It's like a mission within a mission within a mission.

I agree Murklor it is why I recommend Valhalla for beginners. It has understandable objectives that are similar enough to the prison play techniques of other FPS while having just enough freedom for players to understand what ArmA offers.

The key problem for new players is that they have spent their gaming life in the game producers corridor and shoe box prisons. With constraints on the physically and mentally. All those BF/COD/Cry players are essentially the gaming equivalent of institutionalised.

A game where anything can happen and usually will is a terrible shock to new players.

And that is why I think BIS should put out number of official servers running it or something like it to so as to give a lead to new players. It will give a place to inculcate the ArmA communities values in to the new players and then when they are ready they can step out into the wider ArmA community.

Also when all the frightening freedom overwhelms them, players have a safe harbour to come home too.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker
spelling and reiteration

BIS are developers and they are not responsible for any communication issues between players. If players don't like or not able to learn something new its their own fault. BIS can improve + optimize the MP browser and addon/mod management but should not babysit players. There are mission and tutorials where new players can make their first steps and can try different features.

@walker - who should pay BIS for servers + 24/7 babysitting and time wasted with discussions instead of working on the game or bugfixing? :rolleyes:

All those BF/COD/Cry players are essentially the gaming equivalent of institutionalised.

Yeah, thanks for that. Played every BF game since 1942 :p

IMO its not really about the shock of so-called "freedom". Its all about how to use it and foremost: how to enjoy it.

That's why I brought up the saturation of Domination as an example. Why isnt a decent revive standard fitted yet without any option to disable it? I mean its not the "freedom" of a free-for-all Domination round that's gonna make you smash your head in the when you die for the umptieleventh time 50m from MHQ One by a stray shot through your toe when there's 20 other players around you that cant do anything.

So rather than the "freedom" being overwhelming, I'd say that the features are underwhelming. Gamers have advanced to expect a certain level of playability. Compare with good old Operation Flashpoint. Oh how I loved to sit in the Gamespy lobby for 30 minutes and wait to complete the rooster for a one-life mission that was almost sure to fall apart in minutes, lol. That's not a joke (lol in a good way), I thought OFP was pure awesome. I didnt know better back then but I do know that I most certainly would NOT enjoy that today.

Its hard to know where to draw the line between mission designers and Bohemia, I am aware of that. There's a pretty decent medic module - except it doesnt work in MP. There's plenty of revive scripts, Domination already has it - except servers run without it.

I can't join a clan (several reasons) so I play in public servers. Not the greatest but still better than any other game.

But tell me if this is uncalled for. I'm up for a little domination ... 30 people in the server. We're attacking a village. I see an enemy vehicle drive by in front of me so I take out the driver. turns out i just TK and the guy goes off on me ...

Does anyone get into enemy vehicles without announcing it while a firefight is taking place, especially when the town hasn't been taken over yet and reinforcements are showing up? Just stupid in my opinion.

I check uniforms. I don't TK. But I think this was uncalled for. Tell me if I am wrong.

I can't join a clan (several reasons) so I play in public servers. Not the greatest but still better than any other game.

But tell me if this is uncalled for. I'm up for a little domination ... 30 people in the server. We're attacking a village. I see an enemy vehicle drive by in front of me so I take out the driver. turns out i just TK and the guy goes off on me ...

Does anyone get into enemy vehicles without announcing it while a firefight is taking place, especially when the town hasn't been taken over yet and reinforcements are showing up? Just stupid in my opinion.

I check uniforms. I don't TK. But I think this was uncalled for. Tell me if I am wrong.

Did they have a Teamspeak server and were you in it?

Probably not, but being an asshat about TKs isnt exactly the reason so few play MP. In fact, I think I see more TKs in Arma II than I've ever seen in any game, lol.

I've been in plenty similar situation. If we're US and an unidentified guy fires an AK74, chances that I kill him skyrocket. Yes, even if its free-for-all weaponry. Most of the time I try to confirm their behaviour and unifom but you know... Some people are similar to AI for some reason and the uniform isnt always so easy to see.

Which of course bring up yet another point that modern gamers expect - easy IFF. A2 isnt all bad, but better nametags wouldnt hurt. While realism freaks may go bonkers over it, IMO it is realism by proxy. A soldier knows who's in his squad, how they behave, what gear they carry, etc. So once again, I dont think its the "freedom" that scare people away - its the basic features.

how many times have we had these discussions. jebus.

we should have an auto ban script for compairing 2 TOTAL DIFFERENT genre's of games.

they both have teamwork to a certain extent (BFBC2) but in arma its just frowned uppon because you are expected to act somewhat realistic, aka get in the g*dd*mn pilot squad and start acting like one. instead of going lonewolf and parking your apache somewhere in the desert.

/rant

Probably not, but being an asshat about TKs isnt exactly the reason so few play MP. In fact, I think I see more TKs in Arma II than I've ever seen in any game, lol.

I've been in plenty similar situation. If we're US and an unidentified guy fires an AK74, chances that I kill him skyrocket. Yes, even if its free-for-all weaponry. Most of the time I try to confirm their behaviour and unifom but you know... Some people are similar to AI for some reason and the uniform isnt always so easy to see.

Which of course bring up yet another point that modern gamers expect - easy IFF. A2 isnt all bad, but better nametags wouldnt hurt. While realism freaks may go bonkers over it, IMO it is realism by proxy. A soldier knows who's in his squad, how they behave, what gear they carry, etc. So once again, I dont think its the "freedom" that scare people away - its the basic features.

Also, friendly fire is pretty commonplace in "the real world"

@clavicula ... can't remember if they had TS set up or not. To tell you the truth, all the cross talk is distracting as there is no discipline in public servers.

if you're seriously into fun teamwork and play from canada or europe then pop into our evolution server - we play a small squad against a massive enemy force, and it takes teamwork.

in specific relation to this topic - a lot of people try to join our server but they don't have the right mods on, even though our server name has www.gitsclan.co.uk in the title

the modlist is available here

http://www.gitsclan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=5535

and for BIS forum users the list of evolution missions and their respective mods is here

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1852045&postcount=418

we play regularly with maybe 5-8 guys on at a time as well as public.

recent public players who joined us and had a good time: Dr Strangelove, Jigsaw, Gaz, Sharpy, Chaostika, Sgt.Stoned, Sapo, Pog, Twisted, Kremator, MOR, United Kar98k, Normster and Buckshot.

so if they managed to hunt down the mods and islands and get on, others can follow. best thing is to grab xfire and add me as eggbeast to help if you need it.

people who show up and play a decent game get invited into teamspeak (no under 18s)

that's as elitist as we get

people have to do this research to join, and that does suck, but the servers and rewards are there for the persistent