Sign in to follow this  
m241shotk1ll

Nobody plays anymore, atleast for MP

There are many groups that play PvP (FUSION, Dragon Knights, ECL, Charlie Foxtrot, to name a few), but it's not played in public because most server admins choose not to host them.

You are still avoiding the question. Join a unit to enjoy mp is not an answer to the question. It is more like a work around for a more fundamental problem.

It is still avoiding the fundamental issue why there isn't that many players in A2 mp as you would expect. And I do not mean the 2 to 20 ppl bot shooting-fest coop (I count CTI to this category). I mean real PvP 32+ player mp.

Anyway who thinks that 32+ player PvP is not possible in a public server should try PR for BF2. You would be suprised how organized it can be if the game is designed to do as much as possible to basically force ppl to play together.

Now the admin thing is new to me. It still begs the question, why won't they host? Is it because ppl won't join and admins feel that they host for nothing when no one joins, if it is, it leads to the same basic fundamental issue, why ppl won't join and play it?

Best of A2 multiplayer is hidden away from a "Regular Joe" that is jumping from open server to another... try to get into an organized them, there's a bunch out there.
You are correct.

And maybe it's for the best.

And you see this as a good thing?

What is wrong with you people?

I certainly don't think nothing is wrong with the current MP mentality, I was simply stating the facts. I'll leave it to server admins in this discussion to answer why they don't host PvP missions.

Or maybe it's because each server has a slew of mods , all different.

That might be where Project Reality really shines for online PvP games.

I can answer for [=TFB=].

Over the last 18 months, we have developed a style of gameplay that suits us and, the fact is, it is a style of gameplay that just isn't for everyone, as evidenced by the mass chaos in our public server. Sometimes we are able to organize a small group of public players into a team and it works out quite well; but, typically, I have found the vast majority of the public players are in their own world. That's fine for Domination, but most of TFB's long-time members have long since passed the point where Domination and Domination style games "does it" for us.

We recognize that these massed public style games quickly devolve into chaos with 1/3rd, or more, of the players unable, or unwilling, to join our Teamspeak server or, at the very least, speak over VON and, for us, that is not the type of game we want to play. Typically, you'll find our younger, or newer, members on the public server because we're still breaking them from that mindset.

We want "Tactical Cooperation" and there just simply is not enough of it in the public forum. We make pains to invite promising non-members to Member and Invite Only events so they have the opportunity to do the things that we like to do, or they have the option to screw around on our public server and crash AH-64's into mountains or hover 300m above a ZSU-23, or whatever it is that you guys do.

Or maybe it's because each server has a slew of mods , all different.

That might be where Project Reality really shines for online PvP games.

When does PR come out? or did it already? lol, Like I said I'm new to PC gaming really and built this computer for Arma 2, BF3, And Arma 3 when that comes out. So the whole idea of finding servers and installing mods and which ones to get i'm totally clueless on still, but i'm doing some research on all that

[.] but i'm doing some research on all that

carry on doing that

It is still avoiding the fundamental issue why there isn't that many players in A2 mp as you would expect. And I do not mean the 2 to 20 ppl bot shooting-fest coop (I count CTI to this category). I mean real PvP 32+ player mp.

There are always enough people in AA2 MP.

There are just not many people who want to constantly get TK'ed by morons (aka public gaming). See the difference?

Anyway who thinks that 32+ player PvP is not possible in a public server should try PR for BF2. You would be suprised how organized it can be if the game is designed to do as much as possible to basically force ppl to play together.

Except PR for BF2 is primitive compared to AA2 and doesn't offer anything even close to what I get in this game.

Besides I don't know which "organized public PvP" are you talking about when nobody even uses Teamspeak on public servers be it PR/BF2 or AA2.

And you see this as a good thing?

I see public servers as a trash bin/junk collectors. Public servers, especially "frag" PvP ones never have good players. They are always full of "lol I pwn yo!!"-kidz who try to kill everything that moves (even if it's their teammate leading to annoying TKs) and run around like idiots because they just can respawn and that's it.

So it's better if they just stay there forever or leave MP altogether.

Note that I mean public servers in general not just AA2's ones.

I'm not a fan of PvP in ArmA by far, but I do sometimes play PvP with clans and it's much better because every player is being forced into Teamspeak, there are no respawns and PvP missions are more complicated that the childish "score frags".

There are always enough people in AA2 MP.

There are just not many people who want to constantly get TK'ed by morons (aka public gaming). See the difference?

Except PR for BF2 is primitive compared to AA2 and doesn't offer anything even close to what I get in this game.

Besides I don't know which "organized public PvP" are you talking about when nobody even uses Teamspeak on public servers be it PR/BF2 or AA2.

I see public servers as a trash bin/junk collectors. Public servers, especially "frag" PvP ones never have good players. They are always full of "lol I pwn yo!!"-kidz who try to kill everything that moves (even if it's their teammate leading to annoying TKs) and run around like idiots because they just can respawn and that's it.

I'm not a fan of PvP in ArmA by far, but I do sometimes play PvP with clans and it's much better because every player is being forced into Teamspeak, there are no respawns and PvP missions are more complicated that the childish "score frags".

How is it that it's always you from whom we hear this disgusting attitude that is one of the primary reasons why Arma's MP sucks?

So what you are saying is that not the disorganized chaos, not team killing and not frag-kidz on public pvp servers suck but my opinion of this?

I avoid public servers like fire so I doubt I can ruin the great MP experience there for anyone by not being there.

metalcraze just knows it all. Fact.

I avoid public servers like fire so I doubt I can ruin the great MP experience there for anyone by not being there.

You ruin mine. Every time I play I think "Wouldn't it be great if metalcraze was sitting next to me with a SAW right now?" And then I turn my head and it's just Pufu with his damn Glock.

*I would just like to point out that this post was meant to be a joke and that I have most likely never played ArmA 2 or any other game with either Pufu or metalcraze, they were just two of the three names I remembered from this thread.

empty public play doesn't mean there is no multiplayer.

plus, A2 community is not big enough to have the wide range of servers full every moment. In the EU evenings things start to get better, but even then, why would i want to play on a public server and take a lot of shit from mikerally who just wants to do things his way, and in the process (not necessary voluntary) ruin everything for everyone.

because there are a lot of missions where the damn chopper doesn't spawn? Because if you take it yourself , there is a high everyone else would be picking their noses?

Go back to your favorite console game playing with all the pricks screaming in their mics.

ppppfffff im getting tired of guys like you! what is the point of this comment?

(Go back to your favorite console game playing with all the pricks screaming in their mics):(

(Go back to your favorite console game playing with all the pricks screaming in their mics):(

It's the nature of sim games.

disproportionate number of social-cripple/Aspergers who just happen to be the vocal face of the community sadly.

disproportionate number of social-cripple/Aspergers who just happen to be the vocal face of the community sadly.

sadly indeed

what is the point in comparing BFBC MP style game with A2 (there is no style here but the one the mission designer had in mind).

but you go a point there about the tone, guess i was in a bad mood, nothing personal against you for voicing you own opinion though. my bad

You ruin mine. Every time I play I think "Wouldn't it be great if metalcraze was sitting next to me with a SAW right now?" And then I turn my head and it's just Pufu with his damn Glock.

*I would just like to point out that this post was meant to be a joke and that I have most likely never played ArmA 2 or any other game with either Pufu or metalcraze, they were just two of the three names I remembered from this thread.

You can find me (not really often, and not untill July) on KH if you wanna see my glock though :P

Public servers, especially "frag" PvP ones never have good players. They are always full of "lol I pwn yo!!"-kidz who try to kill everything that moves (even if it's their teammate leading to annoying TKs) and run around like idiots because they just can respawn and that's it.

I really disagree with this one. I have a bad feeling about most of the public play, it gets repetitive due to the same mission being played. But from all the public servers out there, i have the best time on the PvP ones (no matter of the mission played). at least that is my experience.

really? social-cripple? any other palm guessing?

Edited by PuFu

Okey these were some of the answers i got so far;

* Ppl don't know what they are doing in public PvP

* They don't use TS/VON

* They TK

* They lolz

* It is a chaos

Now, BI should look into why these type of things happen.

Why ppl don't know what to do or who to shoot in public? Is there perhaps some room for improvements for the mission description itself or the way this info is laid out to players. Or perhaps something else?

The thing with TS is that every clan out there think their TS server is the best thing since sliced bread and want everyone to join their Ts.

First of all ppl should be using the in-game voip, which offers great deal of diversity and possible ways of communicate. Now if ppl are not even using that, then BI should be asking themselves again, why arent they? Is the interface too complicated or perhaps some other reason? Bad quality?

Anyway, I get the feeling that you think the public play is bad and non-existent cos ppl are plain idiots but have you ever stopped to think that there perhaps might be something wrong with the game as well? And i don't mean the hard to master part.

A game can be easy to learn and hard to master. It doesn't have to be impossible to figure out and hard to master.

And to metalcraze: have you even played PR:BF2? Cos there is a reason why no one uses the bloody TS in PR; PR has 1, just 1 big common Mumble server which has channels for every actual in-game server out there. But the mumble is there just to enable 3d voip which AA2 has built-in.

Anyway I am glad PR is coming to A2 so we might even see some PvP action in the public in the future.

RTS and games like WOW, D&D. star Trek have the same problem.

IE: Red shirt guy

I jump on empty servers all the time and usually exit when someone else joins, mostly because they have your attitude.

thats why i didn't buy operation arrowhead. not enough people play for my likes. hopefully arma 3 will give me a reason to buy it but that too will have some competition

Anyway I am glad PR is coming to A2 so we might even see some PvP action in the public in the future.

The problem with that is PR's type of PvP isn't the type of PvP a few people here, including myself, want to be played more often.

Alot of people in this thread have some very constructive arguments about PvP in Arma, unfortunately some of the people in this thread have not got a clue what they are talking about.

You cannot (by any stretch of the imagination) compare BC3 and Arma2. They are 2 completely different games and the mindset of the people playing them is also completely different.

Whereas BC3 is all about getting the next perk / rank etc, Arma is all about teamwork and not worrying about how many kills you have got. I don't even look at a scoreboard anymore...

The thing with TS is that every clan out there think their TS server is the best thing since sliced bread and want everyone to join their Ts.

First of all ppl should be using the in-game voip, which offers great deal of diversity and possible ways of communicate. Now if ppl are not even using that

The lads I play with only incourage the TS use because we tend to find with Voip that it can have an unclear effect on clients in some cases some sounding like Darth Vader,though I can see where you coming from but there are a good amount of people out there that use Voip or Text in game to communicate and work effectivly though some groups split up their teams in diffrent channels to replicate the channel system ingame just more clear and set whispers to groups leaders :).

Also bah sliced bread we went nuts when a weary wanderer came along and gave up the ability of fire :p

The problem with that is PR's type of PvP isn't the type of PvP a few people here, including myself, want to be played more often.

What kind of pvp do you wish to have?

I still haven't seen anything that would make PR the savior of PVP. From what can be gathered thus far, it's a mod with British Army units (in a game that has BAF) and its own game mode (that could just as well be played without the mod).

Edited by Celery

What kind of pvp do you wish to have?

Sector Control, Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture The Flag, etc.

Or even Celery's gametypes like Road Rage, Camel Rage, etc.

inb4 typical comments of "Go play COD", "Can't be bothered with the n00bs who play those types", "Have fun with the hax". :rolleyes:

I've seen fewer cheaters in those gametypes for Arma 2 than I have in every other gametype for Arma 2 being played right now.