Sign in to follow this  
Choki

All the Bis game have Counter Strike sounds

Well, BI once said that it was designed to be used like that or something, cant remember the exact words but apparently according to them the lack of power in the sounds is because BI dont resample their sounds to be as loud as those in other games since Loudness War, thus you should turn up your volume to experience the sounds in the way BI ment.

Anyway, it doesnt work. Turning up your volume still makes weapons sound as impressive as

but much louder, however everything else in the game will shake your desk and annoy your neighbours. Its not really good game design when you constantly have to play with your volume settings, so now i just use Sounds of Anders. Its not perfect, but for the most part better than the BI sounds.

Yeah. There isn't enough dynamic range to produce a true to life sound in the first place, so making weapon sounds emulate the real deal without having to turn the volume to ridiculous levels has nothing to do with the loudness war.

we all know that Bis team read this. Seeing that we all like to have a better sound engine and reading many complaints they could start to improve the sounds on Arma

better sound engine

Is the way to go. Fancy field recordings and editing especially for the newly introduced units are very expensive and hard to get. But regarding vanilla sounds, i am convinced BIS will do the best job they possibly can ( you have various factors that make things harder for BIS than soundmodders and i think many people seem to forget that)

The focus should be set to the things that can simply raise the immersion such as the particle and sound engine. We have factors like the very limited samples, sounds staying the same unless sample finished etc holding us back. Things that should be added is a system to connect sounds to location, be able to use different samples for different distances etc.

BIS gives us the plant and earth

the community waters and maintains it

everybody enjoys its fruits.

Sound effects are much improved in Arrowhead. But be aware: many people compare our sound to "real" videos on the Internet or to Hollywood movies; however, in reality sound is very different.

Another aspect is the phenomenon called loudness war. We prefer high fidelity over artificiality, so you may need generally louder output level than in average game in order to get similar impression. We have decided to record as many sound effects as possible for Operation Arrowhead directly on the field. Using 12 microphones in various positions relative to the sound source, we recorded all kind of sounds from reloading, firing, to bullet impacts (imagine a live BMP shooting range with sound engineers - we hope to be able to declassify some images and release some form of "Making Of" or "Developers Diary" about this part of development).

In the end, sound effects are mixed and edited in order to best keep real world feeling as much as possible in every situation from the perspective of the shooter up to troops standing 100 m away. One good example is supersonic bullet crack, often considered to be bug or something wrong in the game.

In reality, when you hear bullets from machine gun or rifle passing by, supersonic crack is pretty much the only thing you can hear.

How will the sound engine in Operation Arrowhead differ from the sound engine in ArmA2? Can you give specific examples?

There are some important improvements in the sound engine in comparison to Arma 2:

* improved and completely reworked radio protocols, including support for whispered voice when appropriate

* realistic filter of weapons sounds when inside vehicles

* new option allowing players to set maximum simultaneously played samples and increased default value (from 16 to 32)

* significantly improved voice over net (some of it will be included with early game updates).

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Ask_Bohemia_about_A2OA_-_Answers

Edited by =war cloud=

Pardon me, but what's your point? Yes, we know that BIS has recorded real weapons and vehicles. But the sounds in Arma are nothing like that recording, and whether or not certain sounds in the game are based on authentic recordings is immaterial when they are either too quiet or have lost their impact due to mixing.

This:

In the end, sound effects are mixed and edited in order to best keep real world feeling as much as possible in every situation from the perspective of the shooter up to troops standing 100 m away.

...is completely understandable. The sound needs to be versatile so that it 'fits' with varying distances, so the base file has to be altered accordingly. It's often an issue in sound mods -- do you use an 'up close' sound or a distant one with alot of reverb?

However, this wouldn't be an issue if the sound engine was able to realistically distort sounds. But, again, even if BIS doesn't give a damn about improving the sound engine, at the very least, the sounds themselves need to be louder. The stock SCAR shouldn't sound like it's suppressed and a T-72 shouldn't be able to sneak up on you. The latter issue annoyed me so much in one OFP mission I was making, that I made incoming tanks 'say' a distant tank sound just so the player could hear the damn things coming.

Don't forget wind force and direction have a significant impact on how far sound will go. Although guns sound weak, is it only the gun sound to blame? I don't think so. I believe much of the other things that goes on is turned way too high. From trigger based sounds (and oil pumps), via walking sounds, to ambient sounds - just way too loud. At my volumes (and using JSRS), gun sounds actually sounds rather powerful, but still birds tweeting can be heard in the midst of a heavy gunbattle. And while quiet, a bird will hurt my ears sometimes - never had that happen in real life - where they only hurt my sleeping (have a forest outside my bedroom window, and our wakeup clocks aren't synchronized) :p

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BangBangBANG

While BIS's sounds might not be entirely correct, they are realistic. Quoting from the above article:

In a typical movie or video game, the sound of a gun firing is impossible to mistake for anything else; a distinctive booming report with lots of bass accompanies the firing of even the most puny weapon, unless fitted with a magic noise-removing machine.

In reality, this boom is closer to the sound of a shotgun firing. Smaller guns typically lack the howitzer-like boom of the movie versions, instead making a sound similar to a firecracker going off. This means when hearing a real gunshot, many people find it hard to tell that's what it is.

Real weapons don't sound the way you think.

Although, I must admit, it would be cool for ArmA 3 to implement some filtering that would allow the weapons to make a deafening sound (for example), when you are indoors.

This thread is getting a little out of hand lol.

what you pretend from a thread with that title :D

While BIS's sounds might not be entirely correct, they are realistic. Quoting from the above article:

Although, I must admit, it would be cool for ArmA 3 to implement some filtering that would allow the weapons to make a deafening sound (for example), when you are indoors.

Are you using tvtropes as a source for how gunshots should sound like? Guns do NOT sound like firecrackers. At least the sound of an Rk 95 is deafening and basstastic, and even a .22 rifle produces a pretty perky blast.

Ummmm I've never fired military grade weapons, but civilian 12 gauge shotguns are loud as shit. Even a .22 is pretty loud for what it is.

are they saying that real life guns sound more like shotguns? because shotguns are fucking loud as hell, .22s sound like firecrackers, and m4s and other short barreled .223s are really loud (and any weapon with a short barrel is pretty damn loud) im aware that they are mistaken for fire crackers or trucks back firing, but most people can figure out when its a gun or not, even normal people, and if you are in a warzone, you can probably tell when you are being shot at.

Are you using tvtropes as a source for how gunshots should sound like? Guns do NOT sound like firecrackers. At least the sound of an Rk 95 is deafening and basstastic, and even a .22 rifle produces a pretty perky blast.

Maybe not up close, but from reading some of the posts, it seems people want to hear "BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM", even at longer distances.

I simply used tvtropes to point out that this is a misconception shared by Hollywood movie directors as well as gamers.

Sorry if I sound like an idiot/ass, I was under the impression that people were expecting action movie sounds which aren't exactly correct either.

Edited by RangerPL

Maybe not up close, but from reading some of the posts, it seems people want to hear "BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM", even at longer distances.

I simply used tvtropes to point out that this is a misconception shared by Hollywood movie directors as well as gamers.

Sorry if I sound like an idiot/ass, I was under the impression that people were expecting action movie sounds which aren't exactly correct either.

Many people here have been in the armed forces or otherwise have a gun/shooting hobby, or have at least been in contact with firearms. They know what guns sound like, and defending Arma 2's gun sounds with examples of the loudness war or movie misconceptions doesn't fly with them. Bad Company 2 is the best game example of authentic sounding samples, even though it's otherwise unimpressive on the technical side (no single shot samples, doppler or cracks).

.22s are loud, I would not characterize them as bassy, however.

And at a distance, at least handguns do sound quite a bit like firecrackers. Every hallowe'en here is literally like a warzone. Firecrackers of all shapes and sizes are used and for hours it's a constant chorus of ripples of small pops and loud bangs. There was a drive by shooting down the road from me a while ago and I just thought it was lame kids firing off firecrackers again until a week later. No one was injured, and the kid whose house was shot at is really nice. I'm not sure what he did to deserve bullets fired at his house.

I'd be quite happen if loud noises deafened other sounds temporarily, enough to tell you that it's loud.

You won't have huge differences in volume level for sounds in a game. A tank firing and a car door closing are going to be roughly the same volume ingame, and currently you'll hear both if they happen simultaneously.

.22s are loud, I would not characterize them as bassy, however.

And at a distance, at least handguns do sound quite a bit like firecrackers. Every hallowe'en here is literally like a warzone. Firecrackers of all shapes and sizes are used and for hours it's a constant chorus of ripples of small pops and loud bangs. There was a drive by shooting down the road from me a while ago and I just thought it was lame kids firing off firecrackers again until a week later. No one was injured, and the kid whose house was shot at is really nice. I'm not sure what he did to deserve bullets fired at his house.

it was probably the wrong house, or retaliation for something stupid

I'd be quite happen if loud noises deafened other sounds temporarily, enough to tell you that it's loud.

You won't have huge differences in volume level for sounds in a game. A tank firing and a car door closing are going to be roughly the same volume ingame, and currently you'll hear both if they happen simultaneously.

If that doesn't happen now, it's how it used to be in ArmA 1. You'd blast off your rifle and be temporarily deaf from birds chirping and distant sounds. Everyone thought it was a flaw, tho.

Everyone thought it was a flaw, tho.

Thats pretty much the way it goes with this series tho. BI implements something more realistic, and everyone complains "oh but this thing stopped working how it used to, it must be broken!" :rolleyes:

I liked the deaf effect.

And even in Badcompany you can hear that shots in the distance do sound like firecrackers. Not from up close though.

While BIS's sounds might not be entirely correct, they are realistic.

The sounds are not realistic. PKMs do not sound like typewriters. They are only 'realistic' in the sense that they would sound good if they were 5x louder. And no, when someone says they wish the sounds were louder, they do not mean they want to hear

"BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMB OOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM",

...they mean that the stock sounds are unrealistically quiet. Which they are.

We know this. The real misconception in this thread is what I just said above; that when someone says they want louder, more realistic sounds, that must mean they want Hollywood effects because real guns aren't loud. And they are.

They don't sound like Arma 2 or Youtube videos, that's for damn sure. They're loud.

Did I mention that guns are loud?

Now, I'm not saying that I want to be going HOLY SHIT THAT'S SO GOD DAMNED LOUD when I'm playing. I don't. Some sound mods out there are too loud for my tastes, for example the sonic cracks in JSRS which feel like someone is firing trains at you. I just want the guns to sound like guns, and be satisfying to shoot. Yeah, "use sound mods when they come out blah blah blah". This is really one of those issues that shouldn't have to be modded.

...they mean that the stock sounds are unrealistically quiet. Which they are.

Actually, the gun sounds are just fine, its everything else that is too loud in comparison.

A game-wide re-balancing of the sound files would be needed, so that the loudest things just about reach the limits of the waveform, and everything else is quieter (i.e. smaller on the waveform).

As it stands, the reason the guns seem so quiet and the birds so loud is that their waveforms look like this:

lolaudio.png

Top being M60, bottom being the ever-present (and annoying) seagulls.

The seagull should be half, if not 1/4 the volume (and as such, 1/2 or 1/4 the size on the waveform). That way loud things (like guns) truly would be loud.

If you went the other way (as people are suggesting), and made the M60 louder, you'd clip the audio and lose the quality of the sound recording.

Much like I keep saying with the loudness war links, we should be asking BIS to make the other sounds quieter, not the guns louder!