Sign in to follow this  
Choki

All the Bis game have Counter Strike sounds

Oh right of course. Sounds recorded from actual weapons with high end equipment and mixed to sound similar to what they sound IRL is sooooo lame.

It's not just about that, they would have to buy a license to use their sounds. Have you ever tried buying licenses from big-arse publishers? They'd pick BI's moneybones clean :p

BFBC and Crysis 2 are hollywood crap sounds, ArmA default sounds are way better and so is the whole ArmA series core game, imho.

Bad Company guns sound great. That's one of the only things I liked about the game. Arma sounds have, unfortunately, always sucked, although certain aspects have improved throughout the series.

What they need to do now, is have separate sounds for the shooter and the observer. That means you can have a kick arse sound (that apparently doesn't translate in youtube videos) from the shooter's perspective (don't forget the kick of the gun isn't felt through your computer, a good meaty sound can go some way to making up for this), but you also get a great realistic sound for nearby and distant gunfire. I actually quite like how the current engine handles sounds at varying distances. They just need to lose the "snare drum" quality of some weapons.

Edited by Daniel

Oh right of course. Sounds recorded from actual weapons with high end equipment and mixed to sound similar to what they sound IRL is sooooo lame.

DICE also add their own fancy sound fx in games since BFBC1, Crytek with Crysis 2 the same, you can tell that, well i can.

The point is BI don't want to be borrowing from Hollywood over the top shit shooters like BFBC games or Crysis 2 or BF3 MW3, they just sound shit all the way imho, over the top reverberation fancy pants sounds.

You must hate this fancy pants hollywood crap they call real life.

You must hate this fancy pants hollywood crap they call real life.

I'll admit i have never been in a real life warzone as an operational combatant. But i have watched and heard many war documentaries over the years and none sound like BFBC 1-2 Crysis 2 games etc, they sound more like ArmA series of games imho.

I'll admit i have never been in a real life warzone as an operational combatant. But i have watched and heard many war documentaries over the years and none sound like BFBC 1-2 Crysis 2 games etc, they sound more like ArmA series of games imho.

You don't have to be in a warzone. You could just visit a firing range. Documentaries and most other programs and camcorded combat videos have crappy gun sounds because most microphones can't record loud noises without them getting distorted or muted at some frequency levels. The end result is nothing like the real sounds.

Edited by Celery

two guys with a scar and an ak shooting at each other sounds like two airsoft guns, i dont usually get that adrenaline rush when in a fire fight or getting shot at in arma like i do in MoH or BC2, i wouldnt mind if they hollywooded the guns a little bit but changed the engine to account for distances and echos etc.

But the point is they don't need to 'hollywood' them, they just need to make them more realistic by improving the quality of the recordings and of the sound engine. Hell, even the volume. It seems like anyone who is against this thinks combat sounds like it does in Youtube videos.

But the point is they don't need to 'hollywood' them, they just need to make them more realistic by improving the quality of the recordings and of the sound engine. Hell, even the volume. It seems like anyone who is against this thinks combat sounds like it does in Youtube videos.

thats basically what i meant, i know combat doesnt sound like a youtube video, but i do know a SCAR and AKs dont sound like whisper quiet airsoft guns, guns are loud, some are very loud, i shouldnt be able to barely hear a scar being fired right behind me or have to turn up my speakers to hear an ak go "pop pop" like an airsoft gun from 50 yards away, i think some of the sounds really suck, but mods like JSRS and blastcore seem to be pretty realistic too, battlefields effects make sense for the most part, as planes, tanks, helicopters, explosions and guns are loud as hell, even if they do beef up the sounds a little (but man they sound awesome through surround sound :cool: )

que thread mas pete, no respondi antes porque me parecio muy tonto

neither BC2 or crisys have realistic soundFX. they are over exagerated for a hollywood style result. I agree that some vanilla sounds are not great, but they are fine, not to mention that you can use whatever sound mod you like. You think that a real M9 pistol sounds like a 120mm cannon like you see in the movies? lol NO, they sound really cheap in real life, like a little firecracker

You think that a real M9 pistol sounds like a 120mm cannon like you see in the movies? lol NO, they sound really cheap in real life, like a little firecracker

That doesn't explain why my 30mm autocannon sounds like an M9 in real life.

Sounds too quiet? Game not got enough pop?

The simple solution: TURN YOUR SPEAKERS UP...

Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

I really dont want BIS sampling their audio to Death Magnetic levels because some people say that "its not loud enough". Thats what the volume dial is for! Or are we all so lazy now that we have to have it turned up for us?

que thread mas pete, no respondi antes porque me parecio muy tonto

neither BC2 or crisys have realistic soundFX. they are over exagerated for a hollywood style result. I agree that some vanilla sounds are not great, but they are fine, not to mention that you can use whatever sound mod you like. You think that a real M9 pistol sounds like a 120mm cannon like you see in the movies? lol NO, they sound really cheap in real life, like a little firecracker

Are you just ignoring the fact that the BC2 sounds were recorded with professional gear and made to sound close to real life within the limits of the dynamic range we get in mainstream audio? The only thing lacking about BC2's gun sounds is proper single fire.

WQ-GS2oRzrk

lOrEJrPJImA

Edited by Celery

yeah! ok, I forgot that. I have the game and also I saw a video of the recording process sound of this game, but when I said that I was thinking in the firefights madness chaotic with explosion everywhere and strange sound fx

btw, I recorded this time ago :p

lf9hjbnG8Es

_ivqK2SvsWw

Edited by SpetS15

Uh, I'd rather not have footsteps lacerating my ear drums and Ural trucks rattling my windows, thank you.

Gunshots in real life are above the pain threshold, but they don't cause automatic ear damage because they are of very short duration. They only need to be at maximum volume for a split second, producing a sharp crack. The more detailed, textured and recorded sound takes longer to play and falls on either side.

Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

I really dont want BIS sampling their audio to Death Magnetic levels because some people say that "its not loud enough". Thats what the volume dial is for! Or are we all so lazy now that we have to have it turned up for us?

It doesn't matter high the volume is, guns in arma2 feel wimpy. A car door closing and an m4 firing feel like the same loudness ingame. When a tank rolls past it doesn't feel loud, because I can still hear my footsteps. When a helicopter flies past it doesn't sound loud because I can hear beeping from it.

I could turn my stereo headphones on full blast and make my ears bleed and the guns still wold not feel powerful.

It doesn't matter high the volume is, guns in arma2 feel wimpy. A car door closing and an m4 firing feel like the same loudness ingame. When a tank rolls past it doesn't feel loud, because I can still hear my footsteps. When a helicopter flies past it doesn't sound loud because I can hear beeping from it.

I could turn my stereo headphones on full blast and make my ears bleed and the guns still wold not feel powerful.

Well, by the time guns have roughly the right loudness (Not the right 'umph' that makes you want to flinch, that wont ever happen) the sound of a chopper landing close to me will actually feel like there is a chopper landing next to me. It makes me want to cover my ears and everyting around me is shaking. :p

If you want to have gunfire and MBT engineshave the right sound you have to make sure that people 2km away can still hear it. That will be hard to achieve with the usual desktop speakers...ask some proffesional life death metal bands, they may have the appropriate equipment for you too replicate that.

Well, by the time guns have roughly the right loudness (Not the right 'umph' that makes you want to flinch, that wont ever happen) the sound of a chopper landing close to me will actually feel like there is a chopper landing next to me. It makes me want to cover my ears and everyting around me is shaking. :p

i plugged my headphones in to test out JSRS today, and i got opened up on by an entire fucking platoon and a tank at once and im pretty sure i shit my pants because it was so loud, i actually had to unplug them because even down low it was loud as hell through my headphones.

im pretty sure i shit my pants

Better confirm that before you go out anywhere...

If you want to have gunfire and MBT engineshave the right sound you have to make sure that people 2km away can still hear it. That will be hard to achieve with the usual desktop speakers...ask some proffesional life death metal bands, they may have the appropriate equipment for you too replicate that.

Operation Flashpoint had a solution for that already: an attempt at high dynamic range audio where loud sounds push the minimum loudness level (in config, not sound file!) up so that quieter sounds drown out completely. I'm frankly surprised that the first method you think of is abusing the speaker volume.

I just had a mindblowing idea.

How about designing a hardware stand next to your pc that you can put all kinds of movie guns into and have it triggered by any game on your pc via a plugin?

Basically this stand fires off those guns with fire cracker ammo whenever a game tells it to. Imagine the huge profit following huge game titles:

- you can sell the stand itself

- you can sell professional upgrades for the plugin software (up to 6 guns, up to 20, up to 50 etc)

- you can sell individual / special plastic guns needed for various titles

- you can sell special ammo versions (standard, silenced (for night sessions), loud, realistic (comes with earplugs))

It would be a HUGE SUCCESS !

)rStrangelove;1981900']I just had a mindblowing idea.

How about designing a hardware stand next to your pc that you can put all kinds of movie guns into and have it triggered by any game on your pc via a plugin?

Basically this stand fires off those guns with fire cracker ammo whenever a game tells it to. Imagine the huge profit following huge game titles:

- you can sell the stand itself

- you can sell professional upgrades for the plugin software (up to 6 guns' date=' up to 20, up to 50 etc)

- you can sell individual / special plastic guns needed for various titles

- you can sell special ammo versions (standard, silenced (for night sessions), loud, realistic (comes with earplugs))

It would be a HUGE SUCCESS ![/quote']

Sounds like gimmicky crap that only a few would purchase. Seriously if you need your sounds to be that realistic, just go join the military. Militaries in whatever country are usually accepting people at any time.

Operation Flashpoint had a solution for that already: an attempt at high dynamic range audio where loud sounds push the minimum loudness level (in config, not sound file!) up so that quieter sounds drown out completely. I'm frankly surprised that the first method you think of is abusing the speaker volume.

Well, BI once said that it was designed to be used like that or something, cant remember the exact words but apparently according to them the lack of power in the sounds is because BI dont resample their sounds to be as loud as those in other games since Loudness War, thus you should turn up your volume to experience the sounds in the way BI ment.

Anyway, it doesnt work. Turning up your volume still makes weapons sound as impressive as

but much louder, however everything else in the game will shake your desk and annoy your neighbours. Its not really good game design when you constantly have to play with your volume settings, so now i just use Sounds of Anders. Its not perfect, but for the most part better than the BI sounds.

EDIT: I guess BI just kinda took the other extreme. I have 2 versions of Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven on my PC, one is incredibly quiet and thus i can be sure the sound range is very good, but it does make me turn up my volume halfway down a playlist, and than quickly lower it again when the next song starts. However, the other version i have (Also a studio version, but probably from a newer best of CD or something) has been resampled slightly, and while much more audible its still nowhere near 'Death Magnetic' levels and quality is not comprised at any point, it has just been resampled to that song's max possible loudness without hurting the song.

Whats also odd is that in ArmA2 this practice only seems to apply to weapon sounds. :p

Edited by NeMeSiS