Sign in to follow this  
Choki

All the Bis game have Counter Strike sounds

Didnt you know? Calling someone a fanboy is one of the most powerful arguments on these forums.

And ofcourse, only ever used when the person using it has run out of legitimate argument.

1: I have this cool idea, BIS should do it!

2: No that idea is flawed.

1: No it isnt!

2: Yes it is, here is why: <insert reasons here>

1: Well you're just a fanboi!

Everyone else: FPDR

I think the sounds are fine as they are. Last I heard, BIS actually records the sounds themselves.

Most people expect that the sounds they hear in movies to be real, when most of it is blown out of proportion, and people believe it to be realistic. Sounds in a game are hard to replicate, especially when it comes to different surroundings and I believe the ArmA series has been doing great.

again its not the actual sound, its how they are enviromentally effected, a bird would not be able to make any noise next to a TANK, etc

again its not the actual sound, its how they are enviromentally effected, a bird would not be able to make any noise next to a TANK, etc

The sound engine is bad, a major improvement in OA from A2 though, as I can now play more than 16 sounds at once. I expect to see reverbs improved in A3, as they have got the samples right.

And ofcourse, only ever used when the person using it has run out of legitimate argument.

1: I have this cool idea, BIS should do it!

2: No that idea is flawed.

1: No it isnt!

2: Yes it is, here is why: <insert reasons here>

1: Well you're just a fanboi!

Everyone else: FPDR

Yes, us mere mortals have to avert our eyes from such powerful arguments.

FPDR

Max Power,

First the person you replied to, then your reply.

I agree that sound (and optimisation!) is the weakest point of all arma titles. I would also like to have "full" game out of the box, and wait for moders to make it even better. Not a game that is a mix of superb and mediocre elements and wait for moders to fix those mediocre feats. ArmA 1 sounds were just terrible, ArmA 2 sounds were mediocre, so there is a progres in this matter, maybe ArmA 3 will finally have really good sounds.

PS. GAU-8/A Avenger sound in Arma titles is a blasphemy.

Optimization is a word that people throw around when they want more performance at no cost. It's fairy tale land without knowing what you're talking about.

Now, you are not even taking ownership of those words, that those words are from a friend that is a software engineer working for 3M. Well, I feel sorry for 3M. or, at the very least, your friend should choose his words more carefully, you should not quote him, or, maybe you mis-quoted him.

Not everyone knows everything, about everything. A person can very well learn about a problem from doing simple research. Thus, you, or your friend, saying someone mentioning optimization is just in fairly tale land, UNLESS, they know what they are talking about, is absurd. And, 'optimization' is just a general term, but perfectly fine to use, in the manner in which it was used. (Hey, BTW, I know the space shuttle flies. But, since I do not know exactly how it flies, I guess I do not know what I am talking about, and I am in fairy tale land.)

I assumed you were talking about Arma 3, and possibly referring to Arma 2, also. After all, this is Arma 3 General Discussion.

Sooo, you, basically, shooting Kirq's remarks down with such a silly reply, does, again, IMO, sound like someone being a (Arma) 'fan-boi'. - Are you really trying to convince anyone that people referring to the Arma series and optimization are just in fairy tale land? There are not sound mods? How about texture mods? How about things we do not even 'see', such as CPU/GPU instructions, etc.

And for those jumping on the 'fan-boi' remark band-wagon, read more carefully.

OT: The sounds are good enough for me. Yes, though, I could do without the birds chirping while I am rumbling around in a tank.

Max Power,

Now, you are not even taking ownership of those words, that those words are from a friend that is a software engineer working for 3M. Well, I feel sorry for 3M. or, at the very least, your friend should choose his words more carefully, you should not quote him, or, maybe you mis-quoted him.

There were no quotes there, bud. And you can take your water thin attempt to insult him or me and pour it back into your cauldron of nerd-rage. It's under done.

He (and he has played these games since OFP) said that you can't know how efficient code is without doing analyses on it. The conversation was a lot more involved than that but his current project is doing SDK optimization.

Not everyone knows everything, about everything. A person can very well learn about a problem from doing simple research. Thus, you, or your friend, saying someone mentioning optimization is just in fairly tale land, UNLESS, they know what they are talking about, is absurd. And, 'optimization' is just a general term, but perfectly fine to use, in the manner in which it was used. (Hey, BTW, I know the space shuttle flies. But, since I do not know exactly how it flies, I guess I do not know what I am talking about, and I am in fairy tale land.)

No, the problem comes when you lean forward in your chair, wipe the cheetos onto your white wife beater, and start suggesting how the space shuttle should fly.

I assumed you were talking about Arma 3, and possibly referring to Arma 2, also. After all, this is Arma 3 General Discussion.

Optimization is something people on these forums suggest all of the time. They've said it for every game.

Sooo, you, basically, shooting Kirq's remarks down with such a silly reply, does, again, IMO, sound like someone being a (Arma) 'fan-boi'. - Are you really trying to convince anyone that people referring to the Arma series and optimization are just in fairy tale land? There are not sound mods? How about texture mods? How about things we do not even 'see', such as CPU/GPU instructions, etc.

If I said I don't care what your opinion on my conduct is I would be issuing a dramatic understatement.

I think you have failed to understand my original statement.

Laypeople suggest that ArmA is poorly optimized because they can't run it on the settings they think they should run it. They don't suggest a less detailed simulation, or less complex graphics, or less responsive AI. They suggest 'optimization' because they think they will be able to keep the same game experience only faster.

There are two problems with this.

Firstly, the sliders are there for the user to optimize the visual quality to his own rig.

Secondly, to suggest something needs optimization is to suggest it is not properly optimized, and we've covered that already.

And for those jumping on the 'fan-boi' remark band-wagon, read more carefully.

So you're saying that the people who are criticizing you for calling me a fanboi can't read? LOL. You're obviously infallible.

My name is DM, and I approve of the above post.

I have shot both american and russian originated weapons in real life. The gun sounds in the game do not sound like them at all. Recording them in real life does not produce sound that is 1:1 similar. It simply amplifies the distorted noise the micro phone picked up.

To DM and Max Power. Judging by your total disregard for rationality, it seems that your rationality function is inversely driven by your post count. f(postcount) = 1/postcount. Its quickly converging to 0, you better slow down on the pointless posts. Assuming that the output is the percentage of some abstract unit quantity. DM's current percentage is 100 * f(7022) = 0.01%. Max power is currently at 100 * f(7191) = 0.01%. Those are of course rounded.

TL;DR: Summary... me an Max Power going back and forth, being really silly.

"IMO, that reads like something coming from a 'fan-boi'."

Max Power, I guess I was expecting too much (on the Internet). (Well, I will take some (secondary) blame. I could have thrown a smiley face in there, somewhere.) I thought you would ascertain the difference of... that reads like something coming from a 'fan-boi'... from... you are a 'fan-boi'. There is a difference. At least, when I was typing it, 'I' knew what I was 'saying'.

Would the following have helped?

Oh, c'mon! IMO, that reads like something coming from a 'fan-boi'. :p

And why are you being so over-dramatic and sensitive? - Hissy fit? White wife beater? The latter is you being very callous with your typed words.

About your reply to my initial response...

That post was based on information I got from a discussion with my friend who is a software engineer for 3M. I'll take his expert opinion over your hissy fit, thank you.

And my (partial) answer (which, unfortunately, was affected by your hissy fit remark) (with words in parenthesis being added for clarification)...

Now, you are not even taking ownership of those words, that those words are from a friend that is a software engineer working for 3M. Well, I feel sorry for 3M. or, at the very least, your friend should choose his words more carefully, (if he really said that), you should not quote him (if you did), or, maybe you mis-quoted him (if that is what you meant to do).

I am not trying to be condescending, but in case you missed it, (and even though I was somewhat sarcastic), the original, "maybe you mis-quoted him", was a very important part of that paragraph. You should know, that is me saying that the words may not be a quote from your friend. However, you did, very specifically, claim, it was, "his expert opinion", which could very well be construed as you quoting him. But, you were never clear on any of this, at all, from your very first post, which is what I replied to. And you typing words, without you clarifying those words are an off-shoot of what someone else said, makes you the owner of those words. You out-right dismissed a legitimate concern about the game being 'optimized', stating, with your words or a derivative of someone else's words, that they are in fairy tale land. There is not even any real content to that reply. (BTW, everyone here is not a layman. To restate, also, anyone can discover 'something' is wrong with a software program by doing a little research, or, in addition, by simply just using the program. A person does not have to be a software engineer!) And again, the manner (not the spelling) in which Kirq used the word, "optimisation", was, IMO, acceptable.

I did not misunderstand your original statement (reply to Kirq). I simply replied to it, minus a cute little smiley face. The result... the silly banter going on back and forth between us.

Laypeople suggest that ArmA is poorly optimized because they can't run it on the settings they think they should run it. They don't suggest a less detailed simulation, or less complex graphics, or less responsive AI. They suggest 'optimization' because they think they will be able to keep the same game experience only faster.

The thing being suggested, well actually being said, is that you think you know who is a layperson, and who is not, and that 'they' do not know how to use their settings, consequently, 'they' have no legitimate complaints. And who in the heck wants less responsive AI? C'mon. And you seem to be stuck mostly on graphics regarding 'optimization'.

..., to suggest something needs optimization is to suggest it is not properly optimized, and we've covered that already.

Who is ,"we"? Are you the BIS lead developer? Has the BIS lead developer come in this thread and stated that everything is perfect? Of course not, to either of those last two questions. And the latter will never happen. Of course, there is much to be taken into account regarding software development. It will never be perfect. But, they will do their best to make any of their sims as good as possible for us, with what they have to work with, whether it be time, capital, man-power, whatever. ... There will always be something that can be made better. Or as Kirq (or others) might put, there will always be something that can be 'optimized'.

And me saying, "read more carefully", in no manner or form, equates to me saying someone cannot read. Many people skim a thread, or do not even read it. And we cannot see each other's face, and hear the tone of each other's voice. A person trying to be sure that what they are reading (on the Internet in a forum post) is properly understood, and not over-reacting, is only prudent. Thus the comment, "read more carefully".

Now, if you want to carry on, then please, do so. But do it without your uncalled for, derogatory remarks, and I will try and remember to throw in some smiley faces. Whatever the case, we need to spend more time on-topic, and less time on nonsense.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

I have shot both american and russian originated weapons in real life. The gun sounds in the game do not sound like them at all. Recording them in real life does not produce sound that is 1:1 similar. It simply amplifies the distorted noise the micro phone picked up.

I have fired different weapons of both origin, also. While I would like the sounds to be better, it is not a deal breaker for me. (tacticalnuggets, I am not implying that you are saying it is.) I am more concerned with other 'things', such as the editor.

I am sure, though, over-all, I will be satisfied with Arma 3.

To DM and Max Power. Judging by your total disregard for rationality, it seems that your rationality function is inversely driven by your post count. f(postcount) = 1/postcount. Its quickly converging to 0, you better slow down on the pointless posts. Assuming that the output is the percentage of some abstract unit quantity. DM's current percentage is 100 * f(7022) = 0.01%. Max power is currently at 100 * f(7191) = 0.01%. Those are of course rounded.

Wow. That's nerdier than usual. Much nerdier than it had to be...

"IMO, that reads like something coming from a 'fan-boi'."

Max Power, I guess I was expecting too much (on the Internet). (Well, I will take some (secondary) blame. I could have thrown a smiley face in there, somewhere.) I thought you would ascertain the difference of... that reads like something coming from a 'fan-boi'... from... you are a 'fan-boi'. There is a difference. At least, when I was typing it, 'I' knew what I was 'saying'.

Would the following have helped?

Oh, c'mon! IMO, that reads like something coming from a 'fan-boi'. :p

And why are you being so over-dramatic and sensitive? - Hissy fit? White wife beater? The latter is you being very callous with your typed words.

Wife beater is the name of a kind of shirt. Deal with it.

To answer your question, No. And with all due respect to your psychic abilities, I think you need to stop crystal ball gazing as to my emotional state. You started this with your brazen disrespect and therefore deserve none in kind. Regarding not taking ownership of those words: What I said is there for everyone to see. What I can not unfortunately guarantee is the ability or willingness of other people to read them. What I am not taking credit for is the knowledge that lead to the conclusion. This concept I thought was quite simple.

About your reply to my initial response...

And my (partial) answer (which, unfortunately, was affected by your hissy fit remark) (with words in parenthesis being added for clarification)...

I don't need you to rehash what has been said. I stand by my responses: The meaning of what you wrote is clear. Someone does not call someone a fanboi because they wish to initiate friendly chatter. Now you're distancing yourself from your original statement in order to appear reasonable. It's not working.

I am not trying to be condescending, but in case you missed it, (and even though I was somewhat sarcastic), the original, "maybe you mis-quoted him", was a very important part of that paragraph. You should know, that is me saying that the words may not be a quote from your friend. However, you did, very specifically, claim, it was, "his expert opinion", which could very well be construed as you quoting him.

I think perhaps you need to revisit the definition of the word 'quote'. I think the word you're looking for is 'cite'.

But, you were never clear on any of this, at all, from your very first post, which is what I replied to. And you typing words, without you clarifying those words are an off-shoot of what someone else said, makes you the owner of those words. You out-right dismissed a legitimate concern about the game being 'optimized', stating, with your words or a derivative of someone else's words, that they are in fairy tale land. There is not even any real content to that reply. (BTW, everyone here is not a layman. To restate, also, anyone can discover 'something' is wrong with a software program by doing a little research, or, in addition, by simply just using the program. A person does not have to be a software engineer!) And again, the manner (not the spelling) in which Kirq used the word, "optimisation", was, IMO, acceptable.

You overestimate your own abilities. This is common.

I did not misunderstand your original statement (reply to Kirq). I simply replied to it, minus a cute little smiley face. The result... the silly banter going on back and forth between us.

The thing being suggested, well actually being said, is that you think you know who is a layperson, and who is not, and that 'they' do not know how to use their settings, consequently, 'they' have no legitimate complaints. And who in the heck wants less responsive AI? C'mon. And you seem to be stuck mostly on graphics regarding 'optimization'.

I think you need to stop putting words in my mouth. I told you what lay people commonly say in this specific instance, and the reasons I have gathered for that.

You talk a good game with this 'you think this and you think that' and at the end of the day I'm left scratching my head wondering if you even know what YOU think.

Who is ,"we"? Are you the BIS lead developer? Has the BIS lead developer come in this thread and stated that everything is perfect? Of course not, to either of those last two questions. And the latter will never happen. Of course, there is much to be taken into account regarding software development. It will never be perfect. But, they will do their best to make any of their sims as good as possible for us, with what they have to work with, whether it be time, capital, man-power, whatever. ... There will always be something that can be made better. Or as Kirq (or others) might put, there will always be something that can be 'optimized'.

LOL. "We" meant you and I, as in I had already gone through that earlier in the post. :rolleyes:

And me saying, "read more carefully", in no manner or form, equates to me saying someone cannot read. Many people skim a thread, or do not even read it. And we cannot see each other's face, and hear the tone of each other's voice. A person trying to be sure that what they are reading (on the Internet in a forum post) is properly understood, and not over-reacting, is only prudent. Thus the comment, "read more carefully".

Now, if you want to carry on, then please, do so. But do it without your uncalled for, derogatory remarks, and I will try and remember to throw in some smiley faces. Whatever the case, we need to spend more time on-topic, and less time on nonsense.

I'll post in such a manner as I see fit until such time as a moderator corrects me.

Edited by Max Power

"Wow", is the only thing you have gotten completely correct. Trouble is, that would only refer to your posting style (or, lack of said).

And yes, I caught the wiping off the Cheeto's part. I also know what the (later produced) shirt says. And no, I am not one. Maybe you should do a little research on the origin of the nick, regarding 'the shirt'. If you know what I am talking about, then how could you expect anyone to take what you said as anything but derogatory, (heck, extremely derogatory), especially since it was obvious you were being nothing but a smart ass.

Also, you should practice what you preach. For instance, about putting words into someone else's mouth. And yes, you do need to rehash, at least from the perspective of reading again what someone has posted, and not over reacting, or completely misunderstanding. I was clear enough in my last post that I meant no malice in my original post to you, and that I can discuss things with you in a more proper manner, and stay on topic. I even mentioned the failure on my part to put in (at least one) smiley face, so you would have had a better interpretation of my 'mood' to wards you, in my first post. But, I see you will have none of that. And really, how dare I try and turn a ridiculous confrontation into something more civil!

Anyway, I really did not think you could do an about face and be civil. Too bad you proved me right.

"Wow", is the only thing you have gotten completely correct. Trouble is, that would only refer to your posting style (or, lack of said).

And yes, I caught the wiping off the Cheeto's part. I also know what the (later produced) shirt says. And no, I am not one. Maybe you should do a little research on the origin of the nick, regarding 'the shirt'. If you know what I am talking about, then how could you expect anyone to take what you said as anything but derogatory, (heck, extremely derogatory), especially since it was obvious you were being nothing but a smart ass.

The shirt was a reference to the unwashed masses. I'm sorry that confused you.

Also, you should practice what you preach. For instance, about putting words into someone else's mouth. And yes, you do need to rehash, at least from the perspective of reading again what someone has posted, and not over reacting, or completely misunderstanding. I was clear enough in my last post that I meant no malice in my original post to you, and that I can discuss things with you in a more proper manner, and stay on topic. I even mentioned the failure on my part to put in (at least one) smiley face, so you would have had a better interpretation of my 'mood' to wards you, in my first post. But, I see you will have none of that. And really, how dare I try and turn a ridiculous confrontation into something more civil!

Anyway, I really did not think you could do an about face and be civil. Too bad you proved me right.

Wow. Passive aggression! I see now you are a friendly person. :j:

Be civil. Cup of tea, anyone?

I would love if ArmA sound like this

JQo5GW8iFEA

this FAL´s dont sound like Arma 2 or any sound mod.

fCj8TNles4Q

this FAL´s dont sound like Arma 2 or any sound mod.

What can you learn from this video?

Dont use youtube as a reference of how a sound will sound in real life.

)rStrangelove;1960447']Here is the same weapon recorded with different mics at different positions and each sounds different:

http://vimeo.com/20869893

Any sound engine not taking this into account is simply outdated today.

I would love if ArmA sound like this [...]

nooo

those sounds have a horrible quality, and dont sound exciting at all!

coming from an uprising sound modder ;)

The sounds from bad company were pretty sick like. Im sure BF3 sounds will be the same. Its not so much the sound of the weapon that makes it immersive, its the way it echoes and sounds frm a distance that really puts you there.

Man, BIS may just be a little bit too lazy to record HiFi sounds and import them. Look at how hot this game looks already, don't stick those cheesy drum kicks in like in ArmA 2. The Ak47 sounded like my snare drum in the basement... just saying lol

the AKMs sound is the sound thats used for Aks in most games and movies, including graw 2, i actually like that one and apparently AKs have a distinct sound irl.

i hate the ak 103 sounds, and the scar is practically silent, the sounds could still use a little bit of punch, most of the gunshots are really quiet in OA (scars, m110, etc.)

:p the quality of the sounds in arma games are to low, not realistic, 0 Immersion. Why dont use Battlefield bad company, crysis 2.

BFBC and Crysis 2 are hollywood crap sounds, ArmA default sounds are way better and so is the whole ArmA series core game, imho.

the AKMs sound is the sound thats used for Aks in most games and movies, including graw 2, i actually like that one and apparently AKs have a distinct sound irl.

i hate the ak 103 sounds, and the scar is practically silent, the sounds could still use a little bit of punch, most of the gunshots are really quiet in OA (scars, m110, etc.)

+1 the weapons in GRAW 2 are very well made not only the sound but also the animation, ballistic all in first and third person

BFBC and Crysis 2 are hollywood crap sounds, ArmA default sounds are way better and so is the whole ArmA series core game, imho.

!?!?!?!?!?!? images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwZIgIkY7EN8fV96Q-UATZxs5nw0PrqDkwvttPgAcbFWj_GWRd

Edited by HOPE

BFBC and Crysis 2 are hollywood crap sounds

Oh right of course. Sounds recorded from actual weapons with high end equipment and mixed to sound similar to what they sound IRL is sooooo lame.