Sign in to follow this  
Choki

All the Bis game have Counter Strike sounds

Because we're talking about Arma 3 having better sounds and/or an improved sound engine, which, as Nemesis mentioned, is not an unrealistic expectation in a realistic war game.

Yeah but it is really about time the sound engine got some love and attention.

Well the good part is that the helicopters in Arma 3 will sound better :D .

You don't like the realistic sounds because they are natural and realistic. You want an arcadish game not a mil-sim, I fear. As far as I remember BIS invested a lot work into natural sounds. And sorry: Natural sounds are not bombastic sounds, at least not steadily.

Please go listen to the KVSK or the cannon on the Hind and stop being a fool.

Allow me to clarify: Bad Company 2 - Nice sounds, but the weapons are almost completely different from the ones in Arma. Calibre isn't the only thing that matters.

Crysis 2 - Sci-fi. The guns in there don't even exist.

Also, you're forgetting the following element: Copyrights. If BIS just takes the sounds from BC2 or Crysis without asking (and paying), they are going to get sued badly by EA and then only the office will remain of BI Studios.

While I agree that sound is important, I'd rather piss in my mouth than have cheesy over-the-top science fiction game sounds in Arma, or worse yet, no Arma at all.

PS: Don't expect comprehension when going on any type of forums. Who would ever actually read the posts? :p

I wasn't suggesting they just rip the sounds from BFBC2 or Crysis; I wasn't even talking about using the same sounds. I never said I want Crysis 2 sounds in Arma :confused: Watch the video posted of DICE recording their sounds...looks pretty realistic to me.

I'm also not saying I want over the top, science fiction "hollywood" sounds (whatever that means since they probably use the same recording process for guns, but of course the studios edit the hell out of them in post). I only suggested that they improve the sounds/sound engine. I've shot a few weapons in my day and BIS sounds work, but they leave something to be desired IMO; or else why are sound mods are so popular for Arma titles??

Oh, and that comprehension thing you were talking about goes both ways...

You don't like the realistic sounds because they are natural and realistic. You want an arcadish game not a mil-sim, I fear. As far as I remember BIS invested a lot work into natural sounds. And sorry: Natural sounds are not bombastic sounds, at least not steadily.

realistic? Natural? For god friend you need to see videos of actual real combat. Weapon has a metallic sound in arma, like having a metal trash in the head :mad:

BIS should just repalce all the sounds with kittens. It's obvious nobody is ever satisfied so at least they could have some fun with it. :cool:

They could at least adapt the sound system like it is handled in the ace mod now. That you cannot hear anything else when you are standing next to a 50 cal that's firing, what a noise. In stock Arma 2 it sounds like a toy gun, no loudness at all. You can still hear other things really well, while a 50 cal is firing right next to you. That is stupid.

realistic? Natural? For god friend you need to see videos of actual real combat. Weapon has a metallic sound in arma, like having a metal trash in the head :mad:

I think you have most of the time a helmet in your head, have you ever had a helmet in your head and shot a gun?

realistic? ... you need to see videos of actual real combat.

Sounds in real life (i.e. heard with you ears) sound nothing like the sound you get in videos on youtube or live leak.

The only way to know what stuff should really sound like is to go out and listen to it. Not to be an armchair sound expert ;)

I think you have most of the time a helmet in your head, have you ever had a helmet in your head and shot a gun?

Irony...

Sounds in real life (i.e. heard with you ears) sound nothing like the sound you get in videos on youtube or live leak.

The only way to know what stuff should really sound like is to go out and listen to it. Not to be an armchair sound expert ;)

That is exactly what the creators of sounds in arma have to make for the game. Like the battlefield creators.

Well, might be coming with sound simulation footage from YouTube is a good idea?

MQt1jtDBNK4

Well, although an engine like that would obviously be great, let's not get ahead of ourselves. At the moment I'd be glad if Arma 3 had the current sound engine but with realistic weapon sounds of good quality and decent volume. A new sound engine is definitely something that should be looked at, though.

but in arma 3 they improved the Sound engine?

I came across this video of a Romanian TAB firing at insurgents in A-stan and I thought it would be a perfect example of the loudness of combat .

dbfAea4sE30

If BIS manages to get the game that loud , I shall :D .

The romanian users here might find some of the soliders remarks very ... posh :).

If BIS manages to get the game that loud , I shall

Well thats just the thing that 99.9% of users dont understand.

Yes BIS could make the soundfiles that loud by default, but you'd lose the range (and thus quality) of the audio.

What you need to do is turn up your speakers while you play. Then you achieve the loudness of war without the shittiness of clipped audio.

Please to be reading The Loudness War. On the whole, BI's new sound files have the equivalent volume of the 1983/87 section of the first gif, thus retaining all the quality of the original recording.

Well thats just the thing that 99.9% of users dont understand.

Yes BIS could make the soundfiles that loud by default, but you'd lose the range (and thus quality) of the audio.

What you need to do is turn up your speakers while you play. Then you achieve the loudness of war without the shittiness of clipped audio.

Please to be reading The Loudness War. On the whole, BI's new sound files have the equivalent volume of the 1983/87 section of the first gif, thus retaining all the quality of the original recording.

To be honest, you cant expect us to turn up our volume to gunshots of >120dB to get good sound effects. We have neighbours. And ears.

Some comprimes have to be made, and to be honest the sound effects of (for example) BFBC2 are not in such a bad quality that it is noticable, while they do achieve the loudness effect without killing our speakers and ears of ourselves and everyone around us.

Edited by NeMeSiS

I believe that the sound engine is pretty good at the moment. I think that the proof of this can be found in the great sound mods out there (I tried acex_sm, and jsrs). What I think BIS is missing though is some of the effects that these mods bring to the game. I dont know many people out there that dont play without a good sound mod, and I think this is because the default sounds, while good for most things, just dont add up to what these mods have done. I also think people not using a good sound mod are missing out on something amazing. So I dont think that it is impossible to get the same sounds as some people say in BF, I just think that the way that these sounds are used in the game need a little bit more attention. Using acex_sm and jsrs, when a rocket is fired next to you, its not that its loud, its that the sound comes from over there and its close. I like the way the sounds are in these mods because you get more immersion by using them. So basically BIS should do something where these mods are no longer needed and we can get something similar out of the box. Its not the engine, its the application of the engine.

6XsTR6RYswI

Edited by pbishop

To be honest, you cant expect us to turn up our volume to gunshots of >120dB to get good sound effects. We have neighbours. And ears.

Some comprimes have to be made, and to be honest the sound effects of (for example) BFBC2 are not in such a bad quality that it is noticable, while they do achieve the loudness effect without killing our speakers and ears of ourselves and everyone around us.

Who said you have to turn them up to 120dB?

All you have to do is turn them up, period. If you want true loudness of war, then yeah, you'll need powerful speakers and no neighbours. But to expect BIS to resample their sounds louder (and therefore with less overall quality) just because you're too lazy to adjust a volume dial? Madness....

Who said you have to turn them up to 120dB?

All you have to do is turn them up, period. If you want true loudness of war, then yeah, you'll need powerful speakers and no neighbours. But to expect BIS to resample their sounds louder (and therefore with less overall quality) just because you're too lazy to adjust a volume dial? Madness....

If you want the true loudness of war your ears should hurt after a while right? ;)

Anyway, have you even tried the default sounds? You need to set the volume to ridiculous levels before weapons actually sound impressive. While these sounds from BI's very own site dont need such levels of volume at all. (They are ofcouse resampled to be much louder, but there is only 1 that i would deem unacceptable)

I understand your point about the loudness war, however BI chose the other extreme which frankly, seeing the popularity of soundmods, sucks.

EDIT: Also, at a decent weapon volume the sound of a helicopter will kill you. You can argue its realistic, but having the adjust the volume halfway through a game because of this is not something i want to see in a game.

Edited by NeMeSiS

yes they adapt like any other game the sound to a playable level or for a game

BIS used to go you one further and have the sound system on a very aggressive high dynamic range system, where if you hear something super loud, like a gun going off in your face, the rest of the sound effects would quiet down some. Everyone thought this was a fault in the sound system, like a 'maximum number of voices' problem, so they've made this system much more subtle.

honestly bis needs to start fresh with the sound engine, im tired of in vanallia having a tank driving and shooting past me and being able to hear birds chirp in the background

wow 10 pages and people are still complaining about the actual sound files themselves. Screw that, that is the LEAST important thing regarding the issue at hand

The biggest issue is the sound engine itself. If you are in a tank you can hear a bird chirping outside........ no matter how good the sound files are you can't fix that at the moment. The sound engine itself needs to incorporate dynamic volume range, reverb, echo, amplitude, dynamic equalization etc.

If a loud vehicle is rolling past, everything else should be quitened significantly aside from equally 'loud' objects. So a bird chirping next to a tank will make absolutely no sound at all, whilst gunshots would still be audible (not silenced weapons).

Tanks in the distance should have all high frequencies reduced so it sounds like bassy thunder, as they approach they equalize towards neutral so you can hear all the little squeeks of the wheels etc.

Gunshots in the distance should be the same as above

Weapons fired indoors should be much shorter, louder and reverberated

Extremely sudden loud sounds such as a near explosion should cause all volume levels to reduce, and a ringing to be heard

Dynamic audio is what makes great audio! NOT the sound clips themselves!

Optimization is a word that people throw around when they want more performance at no cost. It's fairy tale land without knowing what you're talking about.

Oh, c'mon! IMO, that reads like something coming from a 'fan-boi'. While there is absolutely no shame in being a big (BIG) fan of Arma titles, that was a really poor reply, and somewhat of a put-down to the person that mentioned 'optimization'.

A person does not have to know what they are 'talking about', I.E., from a developers standpoint, to learn or discover that a software program is not 'optimized'. This has been shown over and over again with many software releases, not from just Arma titles.

For example, texture mods.

No one wants to buy software, and then wait and hope that someone outside of the developing company will make the software better! Especially when a person's computer may very well play a game that is just as 'demanding', but plays the other title way better.

Oh, c'mon! IMO, that reads like something coming from a 'fan-boi'. While there is absolutely no shame in being a big (BIG) fan of Arma titles, that was a really poor reply, and somewhat of a put-down to the person that mentioned 'optimization'.

A person does not have to know what they are 'talking about', I.E., from a developers standpoint, to learn or discover that a software program is not 'optimized'. This has been shown over and over again with many software releases, not from just Arma titles.

For example, texture mods.

No one wants to buy software, and then wait and hope that someone outside of the developing company will make the software better! Especially when a person's computer may very well play a game that is just as 'demanding', but plays the other title way better.

That post was based on information I got from a discussion with my friend who is a software engineer for 3M. I'll take his expert opinion over your hissy fit, thank you.

Oh, c'mon! IMO, that reads like something coming from a 'fan-boi'.

ZOMG FANBOI!?

53917_Zomg.jpg

I think the sounds are fine as they are. Last I heard, BIS actually records the sounds themselves.

Most people expect that the sounds they hear in movies to be real, when most of it is blown out of proportion, and people believe it to be realistic. Sounds in a game are hard to replicate, especially when it comes to different surroundings and I believe the ArmA series has been doing great.