Sign in to follow this  
Choki

All the Bis game have Counter Strike sounds

AA3 has some good sounds...wonder if you could pull them (with permission of course) and put them into A2/3 as a mod.

wow 10 pages and people are still complaining about the actual sound files themselves. Screw that, that is the LEAST important thing regarding the issue at hand

The biggest issue is the sound engine itself. If you are in a tank you can hear a bird chirping outside........ no matter how good the sound files are you can't fix that at the moment. The sound engine itself needs to incorporate dynamic volume range, reverb, echo, amplitude, dynamic equalization etc.

If a loud vehicle is rolling past, everything else should be quitened significantly aside from equally 'loud' objects. So a bird chirping next to a tank will make absolutely no sound at all, whilst gunshots would still be audible (not silenced weapons).

Tanks in the distance should have all high frequencies reduced so it sounds like bassy thunder, as they approach they equalize towards neutral so you can hear all the little squeeks of the wheels etc.

Gunshots in the distance should be the same as above

Weapons fired indoors should be much shorter, louder and reverberated

Extremely sudden loud sounds such as a near explosion should cause all volume levels to reduce, and a ringing to be heard

Dynamic audio is what makes great audio! NOT the sound clips themselves!

:yeahthat:

wow 10 pages and people are still complaining about the actual sound files themselves. Screw that, that is the LEAST important thing regarding the issue at hand

The biggest issue is the sound engine itself. If you are in a tank you can hear a bird chirping outside........ no matter how good the sound files are you can't fix that at the moment. The sound engine itself needs to incorporate dynamic volume range, reverb, echo, amplitude, dynamic equalization etc.

If a loud vehicle is rolling past, everything else should be quitened significantly aside from equally 'loud' objects. So a bird chirping next to a tank will make absolutely no sound at all, whilst gunshots would still be audible (not silenced weapons).

Tanks in the distance should have all high frequencies reduced so it sounds like bassy thunder, as they approach they equalize towards neutral so you can hear all the little squeeks of the wheels etc.

Gunshots in the distance should be the same as above

Weapons fired indoors should be much shorter, louder and reverberated

Extremely sudden loud sounds such as a near explosion should cause all volume levels to reduce, and a ringing to be heard

Dynamic audio is what makes great audio! NOT the sound clips themselves!

Yes I agree on this

What's with the camera man? He zooms back and forth during each burst.

Guy needs a slap, thats seriously annoying.

)rStrangelove;1960447']Here is the same weapon recorded with different mics at different positions and each sounds different:

http://vimeo.com/20869893

Any sound engine not taking this into account is simply outdated today.

the Battlefield games have a good way to make sounds

13eDfrMgFQM

Battlefield Bad Company and Crysis 2 are the worst examples you could come up with. They are not realistic war simulators. The point of Arma isn't to make guns sound powerful, it's to make them realistic. And the guns in Crysis 2 aren't even real.

Weak gun sounds don't kill immersion, to be honest.

Get your facts straight, boi!

Wow, you're comprehension seems off. First off, for sound quality they ARE relevant...it doesn't matter if they're "simulators" or not, their sounds are very good. Also, sound IS important to immersion, that's what part of 'immersion' is - believing that you're there. When there's maybe 3-4 different sounds for every explosion; or when you shoot an AK and it sounds like a .38 pistol, then yes, it does kill immersion.

Get YOUR facts straight, boi

I just want to note that BIS sounds ARE NOT the worst I've heard...play OFPRR or Homefront to hear probably the worst sounds in a game. OFPRR sounds are so bad that 90% of the time when my guy 5m from me with a DMR or SAW was firing, they sounded more like 50m away behind a hill or trees

Edited by No Use For A Name

First off, for sound quality they ARE relevant...it doesn't matter if they're "simulators" or not, their sounds are very good. Also, sound IS important to immersion, that's what part of 'immersion' is - believing that you're there

Allow me to clarify: Bad Company 2 - Nice sounds, but the weapons are almost completely different from the ones in Arma. Calibre isn't the only thing that matters.

Crysis 2 - Sci-fi. The guns in there don't even exist.

Also, you're forgetting the following element: Copyrights. If BIS just takes the sounds from BC2 or Crysis without asking (and paying), they are going to get sued badly by EA and then only the office will remain of BI Studios.

While I agree that sound is important, I'd rather piss in my mouth than have cheesy over-the-top science fiction game sounds in Arma, or worse yet, no Arma at all.

PS: Don't expect comprehension when going on any type of forums. Who would ever actually read the posts? :p

What's with the camera man? He zooms back and forth during each burst.

It´s the same short clip, only the sound is different.

Battlefield Bad Company and Crysis 2 are the worst examples you could come up with. They are not realistic war simulators. The point of Arma isn't to make guns sound powerful, it's to make them realistic. And the guns in Crysis 2 aren't even real.

Get your facts straight, boi!

+1 on this.

kind regards

It´s the same short clip, only the sound is different.

ohlol.

To each their own, but its' hard to get into a game when guns don't sound dangerous.

Weak weapon sounds are the number one immersion killer for me. Guns are LOUD. The sounds should be realistic but also satisfying.

Also, it would help alot of discussions around here if people wouldn't have a total knee-jerk reaction as soon as someone mentions CoD or BF3 or something. Incidentally, I was actually quite surprised by the sounds in the Modern Warfare series; they aren't necessarily realistic but they also don't sound overdone. They're quite subtle compared to alot of other crowd-pleasing games.

If people aren't satisfy with gun sounds? Why not download a couple sound addons? It's not that hard and it doesn't interfere with your games much.

TBH I really liked how the DshK sounded in BF:BC 2, that and the fact that the DshK had recoil in BC 2 added a lot to the feeling that I'm shooting a large caliber machine gun . The mounted machine guns in Arma have no palpable recoil , but to stay on topic , louder gun/explosion sounds would help with immersion , without the need to change the sound engine completely .

+1 on this.

kind regards

As we had this discussion years ago, my opinion is still thesame, I realize:

Realistic sound like BIS delivers them are the best I can imagine. Indeed I know you can do a lot more bombastic sounds, that is easy.

So my vote here is again for pure realism.

With sound its sometimes not the source thats the underwhelming part its the compression and levelling, a bit more "body" and "punch" doesnt have to be "hollywood" but can help with the presence of the sound.

I find BIS stock to be dry and flat, they just sound like place holders triggering in the correct places with no additional character to them, sorry to say, but that's how I hear it.

Edited by mrcash2009

If people aren't satisfy with gun sounds? Why not download a couple sound addons? It's not that hard and it doesn't interfere with your games much.

Because it would be nice if the game didnt need mods to fix rather basic things.

Coupled with the fact when the sim lands it takes time for mods to "arrive".

Firearm sounds may not be the best in Arma 2, but what I would like to see an improvement on are explosions, they shouldn’t be the same sound for different payloads/types of explosions and they should ‘sound’ more powerful (maybe add more bass?). It's hard to explain (and also to simulate in a game) unless you've heard one IRL.

Because we're talking about Arma 3 having better sounds and/or an improved sound engine, which, as Nemesis mentioned, is not an unrealistic expectation in a realistic war game.

louder gun/explosion sounds would help with immersion , without the need to change the sound engine completely .

Yeah but it is really about time the sound engine got some love and attention.

Because we're talking about Arma 3 having better sounds and/or an improved sound engine, which, as Nemesis mentioned, is not an unrealistic expectation in a realistic war game.

You don't like the realistic sounds because they are natural and realistic. You want an arcadish game not a mil-sim, I fear. As far as I remember BIS invested a lot work into natural sounds. And sorry: Natural sounds are not bombastic sounds, at least not steadily.

Allow me to clarify: Bad Company 2 - Nice sounds, but the weapons are almost completely different from the ones in Arma. Calibre isn't the only thing that matters.

Crysis 2 - Sci-fi. The guns in there don't even exist.

Also, you're forgetting the following element: Copyrights. If BIS just takes the sounds from BC2 or Crysis without asking (and paying), they are going to get sued badly by EA and then only the office will remain of BI Studios.

While I agree that sound is important, I'd rather piss in my mouth than have cheesy over-the-top science fiction game sounds in Arma, or worse yet, no Arma at all.

PS: Don't expect comprehension when going on any type of forums. Who would ever actually read the posts? :p

I don't think people are suggesting that BIS should use the discrete sounds that BC2 uses. I think they are saying that the qualities of the sounds that BC2 uses are better for a very loud firearms. I would tend to agree. It's very rare that I'm wowed by video-game sound design, but this was very nice!