Sign in to follow this  
Choki

All the Bis game have Counter Strike sounds

I really like the sound, but that's because it sounds like someone banging on the trunk of a redwood with a rubber mallet.

And I'm all but certain I've heard the exact same recording in some two-bit action movie.

The sound in arma is a pure sound, no echo from the environment/ sound of the gun, and it's spot on.

fcTE4vNARmA

50bRYx8qCTE

Starts at 0:20

TisIkSGzWs8

Starts at 3:00

2. You claim that rifle fire from 1km away sounds unrealistic:

Ill explain the basics of sound - its composed of many different frequencies and wavelengths. Lower frequency sound waves travel farther than higher frequency sound waves. Plus lower frequency waves can penetrate material (thats why everyone on the block can hear a cars subwoofer hundreds of meters away before they can hear any actual music)

so I would say the "dark" boom you get from rifle fire km's away is a result of the same principle: higher frequency sound dies out much faster and turns into other energy. And the only thing thats left is the lower frequencies, which you hear as gunfire.

Distant gunshots really do sound unrealistic. They are just softer versions of the nearby sounds. In real life they would be quite different.

Distant gunshots really do sound unrealistic. They are just softer versions of the nearby sounds. In real life they would be quite different.

yes thats it

Igneous01 you can explainme everything but the real sound combat is a lot more diferent to the arma sound.

I'd pay for a sound expansion package from BIS the sounds suck so bad!

You wanna buy a house? Brand new. The windows are made of tracing paper, but I'll sell you glass ones for cheap. Or you can wait until a friendly passing glazier puts some in for you.

You wanna buy a house? Brand new. The windows are made of tracing paper, but I'll sell you glass ones for cheap. Or you can wait until a friendly passing glazier puts some in for you.

I was joking :P I'll assume you were joking too ;)

the game need improve the Far sounds of battle, not hear the same sounds but more slowly

JSRS, Sounds of Anders, just sayin...Vanilla ain't the end of the world.

I do think that the default AK74s sound like wet farts, but the rest are not too bad actually. They could be better, yes, but they are adequate. As long as it is not bass heavy 30mm cannon sounds for a 5.56mm weapon and not the wet fart-esque AK74 sound then it's fine. A happy medium.

It is not so much the sounds that need improving. It's the sound engine. Even then, it doesn't need improving, it just needs more features.

I do think that the default AK74s sound like wet farts

Wet fart would be an upgrade. I've made more firearm-esque noises by dropping a pack of PostIt Notes on the floor. I swear they just broke a dowel rod in half to create that sound.

This is supposed to be the gun that is destroying the ears of the entire Russian armed forces. The muzzle brake on that thing is LOUD.

I agree some improvements need to be made. Firstly, this

Also, as in every hollywood movie or video game ever created in the history of mankind, they neglect the sound of a gun with silencer. It should not sound like an airsoft for christ sake. Although props for subsonic ammunition taken into account.

Then again, even unsilenced its not the sexiest sound.

The sound in arma is a pure sound, no echo from the environment/ sound of the gun, and it's spot on.

You realise the arma video sounds like absolute dogs balls compared with the rl videos you posted, i.e. they sound nothing alike.

Vanilla sound isn't that bad gents.

If you're used to good sound mods, there really is no going back.

In all honesty even the dynamic sound engine in BadCompany1 is creating a sound environment that no other game has so far, the only other one coming close would be GRAW1 & 2.

As Zipper already mentioned, DICE obviously did their homework on this long ago and paid a lot of money (development time and sound rehearsals with military personnel) and now they're in a position where they can still build on that. BC2 and BF3 have 'only' revamped sound samples with added punch, but the sound engine is still the same.

2nd very honest opinion by me: BC1 and BC2 ran very good on the 360 and PC and therefore they prob tackled on the sound that much because they have no other problems.

I guess we all can agree on that the ArmA series had different problems that needed fixing / optimizing first rather than the sound. That said, i'm glad about the news we hear lately concerning the updates on the engine, like less stuttering/higher fps, water, physx and interpolation.

Nevertheless one day i hope BIS does a new sound engine from scratch featuring dynamic sound levels like in BF.

http://vimeo.com/20869893

http://www.slideshare.net/aclerwall/how-high-dynamic-range-audio-makes-battlefield-bad-company-go-boom-1292018

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/02/28/war-tapes-the-sounds-of-battlefield-3.aspx

Edited by ])rStrangelove

You realise the arma video sounds like absolute dogs balls compared with the rl videos you posted, i.e. they sound nothing alike.

That's because no standard video mic can handle the volume of the explosion/shot sounds.

Most of the video's also have multiple environmental factors which deform the sounds.

If BIS gun/explosions have big faults, it's the volume..

But perhaps they've done that on purpose (blown up speakers and such) ;)

I'd like you to try shooting a gun. Have you ever shot a gun? They make a hugeass sound that deafens you for awhile. Would it be nice to play deaf from the gun blast just so you can simulate war?

...Yeah but he was using those videos to say that Arma 2's sounds were good. If the videos don't accurately capture what real gunfire sounds like then there' no point in comparing them.

I agree that the game needs some more realistic sounds.

Right now, in the default game, an AK gives a little "pop" that sounds only slightly louder than my Airsoft AK-101. In ACE, an AK gives a very loud "BOOM" that sounds much more like what one should sound like in real life.

Heck, the AK's are almost as good as a supressor without the bad ballistics at the moment.

Although it would be nice to fix this, I would prefer that the BIS team focus on things like more realistic gravity and that sort of stuff first. Fix the basic laws of science before messing with the sound. I don't want my Stryker to keep flipping when it hits a pebble.

yes the sounds of weapons are to metalics. In a First person Shooter the sound is very important. Just watch Battlefield 3 the sound gives a unique atmosphere

I'd like you to try shooting a gun. Have you ever shot a gun? They make a hugeass sound that deafens you for awhile. Would it be nice to play deaf from the gun blast just so you can simulate war?

No, nobody wants that. It's just that the sounds should be satisfying and "awesome"(just like Bad Company 2 sounds).

To compare, ArmA sound engine sound quality is like tiny cellphone speakers while Bad Company 2 is your THX certified 5.1 audiophile gear.

Just watch some documentaries/vids+films without sound editing + postproduction and maybe go on a range - some real sounds aren't that *boom*bass-tic and punchy. I would prefer to hear more distant/dynamic sounds and not that sound cut-off within 1km in A3.

No, nobody wants that. It's just that the sounds should be satisfying and "awesome"(just like Bad Company 2 sounds).

To compare, ArmA sound engine sound quality is like tiny cellphone speakers while Bad Company 2 is your THX certified 5.1 audiophile gear.

You actually have it quite backwards. The BC2 sounds have more impact because they are very loud. Their sounds have a lot of 'loudness'. This sounds very good when applied to things like explosions and gunfire for obvious reasons. When you increase loudness you decrease range, however. BIS's sounds have lot of range. This is more or less what the audiophile would be looking for- lots of range and definition.

wow 10 pages and people are still complaining about the actual sound files themselves. Screw that, that is the LEAST important thing regarding the issue at hand

The biggest issue is the sound engine itself. If you are in a tank you can hear a bird chirping outside........ no matter how good the sound files are you can't fix that at the moment. The sound engine itself needs to incorporate dynamic volume range, reverb, echo, amplitude, dynamic equalization etc.

If a loud vehicle is rolling past, everything else should be quitened significantly aside from equally 'loud' objects. So a bird chirping next to a tank will make absolutely no sound at all, whilst gunshots would still be audible (not silenced weapons).

Tanks in the distance should have all high frequencies reduced so it sounds like bassy thunder, as they approach they equalize towards neutral so you can hear all the little squeeks of the wheels etc.

Gunshots in the distance should be the same as above

Weapons fired indoors should be much shorter, louder and reverberated

Extremely sudden loud sounds such as a near explosion should cause all volume levels to reduce, and a ringing to be heard

Dynamic audio is what makes great audio! NOT the sound clips themselves!

Arma 2 sounds have no depth .... a sniper shoots you 300 meters is equal to the shot at 100 meters : (