Sign in to follow this  
MAJORdorMo

Spectator's Script in Arma 3?

I don't know about everybody else, but I'm tired of having to play as a bird when you die in OFP/Arma/Arma 2. Bohemia should definitely have a spectator's script in Arma 3.

Right now we have to use Kegety's Spectator Script in Arma 2, which is great, but I don't see any reason BI can't make their own spectator's script.

If they must keep their birds, maybe make it an option in the mission editor?

Edited by MAJORdorMo

This would be cool, but like you mentioned, it is possible for them not to do it... but if they have some time, I'd love to see it.

I reckon it should be headcam. :P But that wouldn't work for all units. :(

Edited by Andre

For my own, I DO enjoy to play a bird !

Because instead of being "stuck" into point of view of any playing people,

I can see battlefield from any position I can reach with my bird (or any available camanimal).

It is definitly much more interesting than being viewing through any other participant eyes.

There is no reason a spectator script can't have a free view mode or something.

and what is the problem with KG spectator script?

you know how low this is on their list, don't you? especially when you got the means to make such a script yourself

and what is the problem with KG spectator script?

Nothing, it works fine, but it is a bit of an annoyance to make sure it is on every mission on our server.

Edited by Andre

I'd like to see an official implementation of a proper spectating system.

I initially tried Keg's script for Chernarus Apocalypse but it was a ridiculously massive suite that didn't work like I wanted in the end, so I scripted a simple and "light" spectator script that gives you the POV of your spectatees and updates the view mode accordingly if they are aiming down the sights. I'll see if I can get it released individually when I'm sure it has no bugs.

Edited by Celery

I'd like to see an official implementation of a proper spectating system.

I initially tried Keg's script for Chernarus Apocalypse but it was a ridiculously massive suite that didn't work like I wanted in the end, so I scripted a simple and "light" spectator script. I'll see if I can get it released individually when I'm sure it has no bugs.

Off topic I know. But YES PLEASE.

-k

I don't know about everybody else, but I'm tired of having to play as a bird when you die in OFP/Arma/Arma 2. Bohemia should definitely have a spectator's script in Arma 3.

Right. There should be some kind of default spectating script in the game. Not only for missions (optional) but also available for logged in admins on public servers to check what players are doing.

Xeno

but also available for logged in admins on public servers to check what players are doing.

Xeno

Yes, thanks for bringing that up. This is definetly needed!

Right. There should be some kind of default spectating script in the game. Not only for missions (optional) but also available for logged in admins on public servers to check what players are doing.

Xeno

idea is good but not fair. really. i know the intentions of the admin would be for the better good. but. in a mission like warfare or any other pvp mission this would not be the best solution,,

the current armaX admin system should be replaced by example a integrated BE client.

they should add in a extra slot for the MP lobby, Spectating.so you can then login to the integrate BE interface. multiple admins can login and spectate at the same time, without having to be ingame, behaving like bigbrother. :)

you know how low this is on their list, don't you?

It's called polish. There are a lot of things that don't seem important, but they do add up.

imo anything that the community can do i would rather the devs don't waste their time with and focus on fixing/improving the things we can't. Besides spectator scripts aren't hard... you create a camera object and manipulate it, maybe add some ui text and that's it.

Imo BIS should remove the modules from A3 again. All that can be done by the community.

Luckily everybody who wants to make missions has a programming background and codes or adds such easy things like a spectating scripts in a few minutes.

And @nuxil, if you can't trust a logged in admin (via password) then you shouldn't play on such a server (or are you talking about yourself ? :p)

Xeno

Built-in spectator options could be useful, especially if server-side configurable.

Nothing, it works fine, but it is a bit of an annoyance to make sure it is on every mission on our server.

Such annoyance can be solved by putting it in an addon (like available with ace in ace_sys_spectator), and enabling it automatically upon onPlayerRespawnAsSeagull, that script is located in ca\data\scripts\

Any mission without an onPlayerRespawnAsSeagull script will fall back to that one.

idea is good but not fair. really. i know the intentions of the admin would be for the better good. but. in a mission like warfare or any other pvp mission this would not be the best solution,,

Ideally the mission maker could determine who you can spectate and how. It's entirely doable to have you spectate through the eyes of your own side's players and nothing else.

And @nuxil, if you can't trust a logged in admin (via password) then you shouldn't play on such a server (or are you talking about yourself ? :p)

offcource :p . but seriously. if you are playing warfare and you are spectating players on the opposite side. are you just going to pretend that you didnt see where the base or other important stuff are?.
Ideally the mission maker could determine who you can spectate and how. It's entirely doable to have you spectate through the eyes of your own side's players and nothing else.
that is kinda easy to do already with some scripting.

but the problem is that. there can only be one admin logged in with the current arma admin system.

and you would not know what happening on the other side..

if the devs would integrate a beclient, that methode would be great. having a admin on each side that can spectate the players on that side

but i would also like to see a new slot in the MP lobby for only spectating. where admins can login with a new integrated be client. so there can be multiple admins on at the same time.

Edited by nuxil

Becoming a bird has one great use - you can flap about in the face of your killer :D and point out enemy to your team-mates by flying over them etc :)

Perhaps a config setting, Bird, Freecam, Rabbit, Butterfly, Random etc :)

I for one would love to have you 'respawn' in some sort remote HQ where if wanted you can link up to some helmet cams or satellite views or whatever, and be able to see and interact with the other unfortunate people that got killed.

From here you optionally can set up a new round of reinforcements for example.

I like the butterfly and loved the bird, but they allow for interaction between dead and alive and indeed can give away positions by hovering over enemy positions.