Sign in to follow this  
eddie247

Non Lethal Force and Restraint System

I like the idea! In SWAT 4 it was always more enjoyable to catch suspects than just pumping them full of lead, somehow adds a new level to your role in a game.

Loved the moments when an AI twitched, got shot instantly, only for the players to reckognize he was just laying down his weapon. Pretty intense moments when you cannot know what the AI is going to do - unlike what we have in ArmA 2 now.

Yes lol, I played it a little and liked the effects.

The pepperspray paintball gun :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha66OZaf3ro&playnext=1&list=PLC362CBB4A64336D1

The aim of the game is to get points and you only get 1 for a kill but 5 for a capture.

In Zargabad life the cops get stun guns and can arrest and imprison people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBv4cPjIp9g

Edited by eddie247

I like the idea! In SWAT 4 it was always more enjoyable to catch suspects than just pumping them full of lead, somehow adds a new level to your role in a game.

Loved the moments when an AI twitched, got shot instantly, only for the players to reckognize he was just laying down his weapon. Pretty intense moments when you cannot know what the AI is going to do - unlike what we have in ArmA 2 now.

I am not gonna leave anything to a chance against BIS AI. I will just pump them full of lazors.

its not a cop game or something like that its a military milsim. you see any soldiers in iraq or afghanistan walking around with pepperspray and tazers?? arresting them??

its not a cop game or something like that its a military milsim. you see any soldiers in iraq or afghanistan walking around with pepperspray and tazers?? arresting them??

Are you suggesting that all force applied in Aghanistan is lethal force? BTW A3 will be a game. A flexible game :)

Hi all

OFF TOPIC ASSIDE

For those of you who do not know all games producers are moving to a single engine that does all capabilites. If you look through the industry press it is mentioned all the time. That is because you can make more money by having a universal engine, as it cuts down development time. Esentialy you turn your one engine in to a cash cow breeder. I would not be surprised to see a golf game based on the RV engine.

ON TOPIC

Add in the ability to search people and remove things from their inventory.

Things in their hand requires they are restrained or subdued so ties in with ability to knockout an individual.

Things in pack and pockets should require either acquiescence or sneakiness and physical contact. Would be great for a future covert ops games and Military Intelligence ops and for "... life" type games as you could have pick pocketing.

Also additional inventory objects like cards, keys, money, wallets etc.

Make ALL doors on buildings lockable with IDed key numbers, ditto venicles and have padlocks for gates.

Imagine bumping into a character, then having to check you inventory to see if they stole your ID card, credit card, cash car keys and or wallet.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

in iraq and afghanistan A LOT of people get arrested and detained. however, the events of a3 cover force on force warfare. not as much room for that sort of stuff. if he has a gun, shoot him.

I want to have the ability to hand out candy to kids in Arma III, and play a badass game of soccer ... please, BIS, please!

The beanbag guns, OC spray seems a little over the top, but the ability to restrain enemies and taken them prisoner should be added. It is already possible in A2/OA, but with heavy scripting.

Plastic Zip Ties sounds great. They're used all the time.

Do they arrest people? Yes. Infact it's a bigger task but a more important one to arrest rather than kill. The surrender module would need a bit of sweat, blood, and tears put into it for the type of gameplay you want to see.

This post would fit in with the morale post not long ago - if you have 7 guys with M4's staring at you, you're more likely to put that weapon down - hopefully with new animations and PhysX they might just drop it and scatter or drop it and go prone, instead of an awkward kneel, with weapon still up, and going into the gear menu to drop it, hehe - by that time we've shot them. It should depend on skill level and with a randomness factor.

I gave up on SWAT 4 when I realised that the hardest difficulty essentially meant you could only pass the levels when you gave your entire team beanbag guns, otherwise you a) had men die, b) died yourself when an AI twitchshot you right between the eyes or c) get penalised for vapourising the little fuckers when they fail to comply.

Total rubbish.

/rant

I would like to see some limited kind of prisoner securing in A3, but it won't ruin my life if BIS doesn't give a damn.

yeah I feel the same way cameron, just having some sort of surrendered enemy capturing function would be cool, then having them follow you, plus to give it an actual purpose there could be a function where there is a random chance they will tell you where their allies are, and also forcing them to drop their gear is important.

Less than lethal though would be a bit dodgy, I know flexibility is good but I would rather see BIS work on a full weapon customization system, being able to attach things to weapons (when not in combat) and being able to have a realistic reflex sight and optic simulation.

I gave up on SWAT 4 when I realised that the hardest difficulty essentially meant you could only pass the levels when you gave your entire team beanbag guns, otherwise you a) had men die, b) died yourself when an AI twitchshot you right between the eyes or c) get penalised for vapourising the little fuckers when they fail to comply.

Total rubbish.

/rant

I would like to see some limited kind of prisoner securing in A3, but it won't ruin my life if BIS doesn't give a damn.

It was better with the SSF mod, and on a semi-sane server. So you could finally shoot a suspect who raised an AK-47 to your head without an admin screaming down the mic everytime you did so.

It had an alright moral system with weaponary pointed at the suspect and they'd decide whether or not to comply. Overall it needed a lot of work though.

The handcuffing and zip tie'ing was good, I liked the little things like wearing lighter body armour allowed you to move freely and cuff people quicker.

Laqueesha, you have a video of this restraining enemies script?

Laqueesha, you have a video of this restraining enemies script?

No, but it is possible due to the fact that there are restrained prisoner animations in the game.

there could be a function where there is a random chance they will tell you where their allies are, and also forcing them to drop their gear is important.

I like the dropping gear idea once the enemy has reached a detained/surrendered state.

Also I like the idea that with lower skill level they would divulge information about their allies whereabouts given brief questioning using the already existing interaction menu.

If the enemy had a "surrender" ability determined by how many enemies he has detected around him making him drop his weapons and put his hands up ("hands up" being an already exisiting animation in arma 2, pls put this in 3 also ;)) this would definately develop the idea further.

Beanbag shotguns are a suggestion for a ranged stun weapon, like the stun pistol in Zargabad Life etc. missions.

A weapon to outright stun/blind and or knock the target to the ground for a pre determined amount of time based on skill level is something that could be added.

@MissionCreep I think the soccer idea is ridiculous ;) however some form of dance mat type activities using some new dance move animations like previous Arma2 dancing would be fabulous and a wonderful group activity in a warzone.

Edited by eddie247

Why would "less-than-lethal" weapons/tactics be used in a WAR simulator? You don't hear about soldiers tasing the enemy...

Leave it for addon/mod makers

Why would "less-than-lethal" weapons/tactics be used in a WAR simulator? You don't hear about soldiers tasing the enemy...

Leave it for addon/mod makers

We've been through this before. Real soldiers don't use lethal force everywhere, every time.

We've been through this before. Real soldiers don't use lethal force everywhere, every time.

Then what about the MAJORITY of the time?

If BIS tried to cover every single aspect of war, we'd never see a release.

Their focus since OFP has been larger-scale invasion type scenarios, hence why "less-than-lethal" has never been included in the game because the enemy is using assault rifles and knows you're coming.

Which is also why it should be left to the addon makers.

Their focus since OFP has been larger-scale invasion type scenarios, hence why "less-than-lethal" has never been included in the game because the enemy is using assault rifles and knows you're coming.

Which is also why it should be left to the addon makers.

Actually, i feel that the ArmA2 campaign could have benefited from this, instead of politely asking some prisoner to tag along until i remember where i parked my vehicle. :p

If they make grenade throwing more natural, I would like to see flash bangs, CS gas, ect. It would make for more interesting types of missions. And it would be nice to have a SWAT like game mixed in with ArmAs huge landscapes.

ACE also has flash bangs and whatnot.

Their focus since OFP has been larger-scale invasion type scenarios, hence why "less-than-lethal" has never been included in the game because the enemy is using assault rifles and knows you're coming. .

What about the surrender module; doesn't that fit in with this? That would open up a new element of gameplay. You can therefore arrest and interrogate the enemy POW; mission makers could create custom conversations for this. And HVT missions could now be 'capture' instead of 'kill'. Because in A2 you just end up killing the poor bugger because the surrender module is unreliable, the only time you 'capture' them is by not giving them a weapon in the first place.

The only thing I'd like to see changed it the way POW's follow you, they should stick closer and react quicker; more fluidity in their movement.

I agree that half this less-than-lethal stuff is not, and will not be used. Maybe in training but no more, therefore it shouldn't be added. The only points I agree with is a zip-tie and improving the surrender module. All the other stuff can be left for the addon makers.

Maybe a new topic needs to be started on the surrender module...

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

If they make grenade throwing more natural, I would like to see flash bangs, CS gas, ect. It would make for more interesting types of missions. And it would be nice to have a SWAT like game mixed in with ArmAs huge landscapes.

ACE also has flash bangs and whatnot.

I agree, better animations for throwing grenades; for them to be more reliable. But the problem with ACE's flashbangs is that they could 'flash' you through walls. It didn't detect walls and objects.

Arma is what the mission, addon and mod makers want it to be.

Spend some time exploring Armaholic.