Sign in to follow this  
icebreakr

Only in Croatia :) Mig-21 across the Capital ;)

Only in Croatia

Thats exactly what I thought when I saw that in the news yesterday. Its a real shame what our airforce has become....

Are Mig-21's still active there or is this just a show piece for them?

It's a good way to hide they don't actually have any flight capable jets right now.

The Mig 21 are still active there. Croatia has lost two Migs a few months ago, they crashed midair. Both Pilos survived. Only one wounded Female who had the very bad luck to be hit by shrapnels from the impact of ordonance that was released during the crash while she was working in her garden.

And Yes the Croatian Airforce (apart from the Mi-17 helicopter fleet) is in a very very bad shape. They don´t have enough money.

Thats exactly what I thought when I saw that in the news yesterday. Its a real shame what our airforce has become....

Kwo2QprI4R8

;)

Why would Croatia need an airforce? :O

I won't be surprised if our airforce will soon do the same ... I feel you my croatian brothers :p

Croatia is likely to soon join the European Union. The growth of the Croatian economy halted pretty much since 2008 and hasn't recovered as fast as the rest of Europe.

I reckon their economy will grow once it's in the EU. Probably to the detriment of the rest of the West-Balkans unfortunately.

In about 4-5 years they'll have a budget to update their armed forces. Just like Latvia, Estonia and Slovenia a few years ago.

Edited by SgtH3nry3

Croatia got a really nice offer from russia to buy their newest and most up to date MIGs. In fact Croatia is the only NATO member who was given that offer. If we only had the money....

If we only had the money....

If our MD only spent milions for new jets instead of new expensive cars, MiG-21 remonts, etc. ....

that underground base was very nicely done , sad it got dumped and abandoned

that underground base was very nicely done , sad it got dumped and abandoned

Yes, it was a nice underground airfield, but it is now at croat-bosniak border. One runway even leads behind the border. :) The second thing is that you are automatically endangering neighbourd country's sky (even if you are in good relations) when you fly up with your plane if your airbase is so close (in this case literally at..*) to *the border. You can always check out google maps or Google Earth. The airfield is called "Željava". There is no possible ressurection of that object.

I don't have any sympathy for you. You at least have jet engine aircraft. We have 7 PC-9's....that's it.

You still may buy some MiGs, there are plenty of them at our storage facilities.

You still may buy some MiGs, there are plenty of them at our storage facilities.

Yeah, but wich ones? MIG 15's? :p

Kidding, we'd gladly take a few MIG 29's off your hands. ;)

Croatia has many military underground objects, some of them are still in active use. There is a naval rocket base inside a mountain near Split. It is the third largest military underground object in Europe and would have served as Navy+AA Headquarters during a nuclear war. It was build to withstand a direct hit from a 20Kiloton atomic bomb. The Base hosts some RB-15 Anti Ship Missiles with a range of 90km.

If someone wants to visit military underground objects then he should think about visiting the Island of Vis. The Island is full of bunkers and military objects. You can book guided tours

Dalmatia is full of underground structures. You just don´t see them^^

Yeah, but wich ones? MIG 15's? :p

Kidding, we'd gladly take a few MIG 29's off your hands. ;)

I suppose that's not a big problem.

MiG-21 stays in service until 2019. (or until they all fall down :D ), so maybe then. I'd like to see some of your MiG-29/M2, MiG-35 or Su-30 in our airforce better than Eurofighter, Grippen or similar. :)

Tonci87, I've been to Vis. Lovely place ;) <3 Hrvatska

I found a very interesting video that fits very well into the "Only in Croatia" Category

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlJUS18eTbA

This is a phenomenom across the whole country. Almost all families have some weapons hidden somewhere in attics, basements, barns, drawers or under beds. And I´m not talking about stuff like hunting rifles or small caliber pistols the likes you can find everywhere in europe. In croatia you´ll find assault rifles, RPG´s, AA ordonance, Grenande launchers, Grenades and all sorts of ammunition, Explosives, etc. I wouldn´t be surprised if some people were hiding tanks in their barns. And still croatia is a peacefull country with friendly people that are still prepared for another war.

I'd say it's not about preperation for war only. People have enough experience of using it, so average robber will think twice - what will he face in the appartments he wants to hijack. Not so many people want to risk their life.

I have only air gun SHANGAI. lol. :D Well, about that "almost every family has hidden weapons" i will say that it is very rare and it depends on where do you live.