Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Editor improvement suggestions.

I would like to see that groups can cycle though more waypoints without additional scripting. Un less I am doing something wrong, I can not let AI cycle to more then 2 waypoints in the editor. Also THe cycle does only seems to work with the 'move' command. When I try 'guard' with a timer the AI does not seem to cycle anymore, but stays at the guard waypoint.

I would like to see that groups can cycle though more waypoints without additional scripting. Un less I am doing something wrong, I can not let AI cycle to more then 2 waypoints in the editor. Also THe cycle does only seems to work with the 'move' command. When I try 'guard' with a timer the AI does not seem to cycle anymore, but stays at the guard waypoint.

B00tsy, read about the waypoints here: biki waypoints

Guard can be switched out of, but doesn't time out automatically.

B00tsy, read about the waypoints here: biki waypoints

Guard can be switched out of, but doesn't time out automatically.

Yeah the biki page has 10000 characters about waypoints, non of them explains easily how to break a guard waypoint which is common on the biki pages unfortunately. It is easier to use a patrol script that requires more resources then to learn from biki pages which leads to more frustrations.

Would be good for me. Both Editors combined would be magic.

(Like it is in the Arma 2 3D Editor, where you have something like the usual 2D Editor and a button to switch to 3D Mode)

The problem with the ArmA 2 3D editor is that it didn't use the native SQM structure. Thus switching between editors was challenging and required you to convert 3D missions for use in the standard editor.

I hope BI's 3D editor in ArmA 3 works off the native SQM files.

Meh, IMO that's very unneeded. It may seem tedious, but learning how to do these things with scripting is more beneficial than having the game generate them for you.

I guess people just don't seem to understand that some of these things are advanced functionality, and advanced functionality requires more knowledge. IMO the basic functionality of the editor (without any knowledge of scripting) is good enough for creating simple missions. More advanced missions rightfully require more advanced users. Let's not have BIS try to become like Apple where they just hide and try to simplify the advanced functionality and piss off the people who want more control.

Besides, the knowledge is very accessible and there are more than enough tutorials and places to look for help.

Those things would be great, being able to choose the units in a vehicle using a simple menu AS WELL AS through scripting would be a massive timesaver and help to many people. These kind of features don't make the game any more childish or dumbed down, they just make it easier for people who don't have time to learn the scripting language to make better missions :)

Those things would be great, being able to choose the units in a vehicle using a simple menu AS WELL AS through scripting would be a massive timesaver and help to many people. These kind of features don't make the game any more childish or dumbed down, they just make it easier for people who don't have time to learn the scripting language to make better missions :)

Learning is part of the fun so they should not make it too easy.

I learnd alot about scripting and computers from mission editing so I say thanks to BIS for more then just a great game.

Learning is part of the fun so they should not make it too easy.

I learnd alot about scripting and computers from mission editing so I say thanks to BIS for more then just a great game.

Players being able to quickly make enjoyable and complex missions is also fun, I understand if it extremely technical but something as widely useful as changing the gear of a unit via menu is something that can be made easier while in no way making it any less complex, this whole idea of "we have to keep it difficult so it takes extra time to learn" just seems slightly elitist if I am to be honest :o But I do understand, keeping the actual depth of the editor is a must, and would still allow people to learn and master it :)

Players being able to quickly make enjoyable and complex missions is also fun, I understand if it extremely technical but something as widely useful as changing the gear of a unit via menu is something that can be made easier while in no way making it any less complex, this whole idea of "we have to keep it difficult so it takes extra time to learn" just seems slightly elitist if I am to be honest :o But I do understand, keeping the actual depth of the editor is a must, and would still allow people to learn and master it :)

Hi even easier then this?

removeAllWeapons this; this addWeapon "MyWeapon"; this addMagazine "myMagazine";

If you want something simpler then that in this case for giving a different loadout to a unit, I would say mission editing is not your thing, since its just a matter of copy&paste to change loadouts.

_neo_

removeAllWeapons this; this addWeapon "MyWeapon"; this addMagazine "myMagazine";

If you want something simpler then that in this case for giving a different loadout to a unit, I would say mission editing is not your thing, since its just a matter of copy&paste to change loadouts.

_neo_

Yes, simpler than that. As you know, "MyWeapon" and "MyMagazine" is meaningless, where is a fledgling editor playing about in the game's editor supposed to get the weapon name?

Yes, simpler than that. As you know, "MyWeapon" and "MyMagazine" is meaningless, where is a fledgling editor playing about in the game's editor supposed to get the weapon name?

hint format ["%1\n%2",weapons player,magazines player]

Or the biki... where all of this stuff is documented.

Honestly IMO any efforts to try to simplify basic stuff like that will not be worth it. It may make a few people more satisfied but it will only go unnoticed/unappreciated by the majority of advanced users to whom this stuff is basic knowledge.

But what good is knowing the name of the weapon that you already have to someone who wishes to change it? ;)

Honestly IMO any efforts to try to simplify basic stuff like that will not be worth it. It may make a few people more satisfied but it will only go unnoticed/unappreciated by the majority of advanced users to whom this stuff is basic knowledge.

:confused: It would make everyone who's not an advanced scripter satisfied, and I think some of said advanced users would be appreciative.

I fully agree that you can only get the best out off the editor and mission making by learning the stuff, but I'm not so sure on why you so against non scripters being given more tools to be able to create maybe a more dynamic mission than with what they can currently.

But then Thinking about it more, I guess i do understand. scs

Simple and Intuitive right??? Asking everyone to find where all these class names and parameters are then wasting 10 minutes to copy and paste them into an init box....

So intuitive :rolleyes:

I would keep my wishes on a low level ...

what about ... oh yeah ... multiplayer compatible modules from the beginning? Compatible to community mods from the beginning? I guess nobody needs no features that work only half at the end anyway.

Okay, maybe I ask to much for .. but what about a proper documentation? For beginners? For advanced people?

New feature requests:

- Instantly preplacable compositions (Mr. Murray showed that it can be done even in A2)

- maybe an integrated function --> save placed objects as composition file

- internal script editor as many people mentioned previously

- optional: the ability to hide/unhide community mods in the editor (although I'm not sure if that can be done as the data is read from the config file)

- divide markers for map into sub classes (although this more of a config feature than an actual editor feature). However it would improve the editor if you have a lot of different marker styles in use

The ability to load heightmap, texture mask and sat image directly into the editor then place objects using the ingame standard 3d editor. It would be even better if there was some sort of gui allowing the user to define which ground texture went on which colour in the mask instead of messing about with config files.

Currently the whole process for building an island/map is far more complicated than it needs to be. Why mess around with Visitor and Bulldozer when it could go straight from the "raw materials" directly into the game?

Nearly a year later, same discussion, same argument.

I agree that the Apple syndrome of reducing functionality, for the sake of the masses is bad.

But do You write your mission.sqm in notepad, too? No, You do not, because You, like everyone else, appreciates gui, click, select, drag and drop type stuff when it means your workload is reduced. And I think You'll find that many think exactly that, about a lot of what You call "basic stuff".

I'd much rather see improvements that help those that make the effort to learn the basics of scripting first. ie. incorporating a wiki into the editor. And I think this would provide the biggest return to the community as a whole.

Of course I'd also love to see the 3D functionality of RTE or MCC incorporated into the native SQM.

Give us both and it is :yay: all round.

When I place a unit or object the map, it would be handy to be able to see the exact GPS coordinates of the unit or object in the unit/object screen.

Then you could place the unit/object very precisley.

-

I'd much rather see improvements that help those that make the effort to learn the basics of scripting first. ie. incorporating a wiki into the editor. And I think this would provide the biggest return to the community as a

Something similiar is already in the A2 editor. Just enter a scripting command and press F1, then you'll get a short explanation and sometimes sample code. However for beginners this could be improved.

And I think You'll find that many think exactly that, about a lot of what You call "basic stuff".

It's just not worth it. It's not needed, neither by BIS or the majority of community members.

Now if the editor GUI was extensible and we could create these things ourselves IMO that would be effort better spent.

It turns out, what with 3d the editor it will be possible to place at once units in a certain room in a building without ten scripts and commands?

It turns out, what with 3d the editor it will be possible to place at once units in a certain room in a building without ten scripts and commands?

Yes. There is already a beta 3D editor in ArmA2 and OA, you can access it via ALT+E in the main menu.