Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Editor improvement suggestions.

Is there something the community does not demand? :p

I think the BI Community wrote the words to the Queen song...

'I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now'

;)

A search bar ! Please !

Or if it's not possible at least organise all the units following the alphabetical order. Wasting several minutes looking for a particular unit or object can be really annoying ;)

Copy/paste everything, Im talking about the playable/no playable status

is not funny when you have to make a 40+ people coop mission ¬¬

This as well for me... i love to make huge co-op missions with plenty of playable options and the finger ache after 50+ units just becomes unbearable. :D

For the Editor general improvements

*Syntax highlighting for script init line

*Mission Parameters Section with hotkey, allowing fast editing of Mission objectives, breifings and other information while in the editors interface.

*Quick Placeable FX, Smoke plumes, fire, other FX, treated as objects.

*Notifiers for Modules that are not synchronized

*Total entity count on Map number on TOP right hand corner

*Mission you made and play with a certain mod like an Robert Hammers Ammo box for example please dont allow the mission to become dependent on it, and If I do remove the ammo box remove the required mod from the mission currently even if its not there anymore the mod will still be in the textfile for the mission.

* To compliment the above suggestion, Add a Required mods Section to the editor (with hotkey) this will display the latest build of the game, the mods that are required to play the mission with other players,

For example

Mission name: Operation Torchlight

Arma 3 Version: 1.0.88945

Required Addons:

Robert Hammer MG Weapon Pack Version 1.25

PLA Forces

ACRE

Map Publisher: FlashThunder (Arma 3 profile name)

Date Created: 8/5/2012

Latest change: 8/5/2012

^^^

This alone would help me out as a casual mission maker and overall add alot of functionality/and even more user accessibility to the editor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Some ideas I would like but probably wont make it in

*Spawn point system, Im dumb I couldnt figure out how to make spawns, placeable spawn points in editor, classified under tools.

*Placeable Checkpoint save locations (giving them depth, diameter, size)

*Easier to read altitude on map, maybe display that information in a small box, information would be from where your cursors location on the map.

*Preview window for placeable objects would be neat

*Mission you made and play with a certain mod like an Robert Hammers Ammo box for example please dont allow the mission to become dependent on it, and If I do remove the ammo box remove the required mod from the mission currently even if its not there anymore the mod will still be in the textfile for the mission.

Oh god please this. I hate deleting an addon in a mission so I can play with a friend only to have it still there and required, and then deleting it from the mission.sqm and it still being required.

I think arma 3 should include a blank, flat, all land map just for testing purposes so you can pop in and out of the map quickly and easily.

I think it would be nice to command troops with the mouse button as well. i.e. click on AI's/groups icon or actual person, point to where to go or right click, and they move there. AI algo' then has them bunkering down for good conceal and cover. Choose AI's way points and movement path from main menu.

Be able to tell when what weapon to use, and when.

Ooh, ooh, I thought of another one :)

The ability to mod the editor. So new functionalities can be coded into it. Examples of new functionalities that some modder could code in:

Select a building, right-click it and select Destroyed as its initial condition.

Select a building, select a door within that building, and set it to closed/open/locked/unlocked etc. Then place a key and sync it to the door(s). (Thanks to MadDogX for the idea ;))

Select an area and set it so the Opfor will avoid entering it.

Etc :)

i would like to be able to copy & paste objects to original position, like "alt+toggle+ctrl+v" in adobe indesign.

this would allow to place for example a base from the mission to intro section to exactly the same coordinates and azimuth as the original and i dont need to try to place it there manualy.

i would like to be able to copy & paste objects to original position, like "alt+toggle+ctrl+v" in adobe indesign.

this would allow to place for example a base from the mission to intro section to exactly the same coordinates and azimuth as the original and i dont need to try to place it there manualy.

You're talking about an absolute, rather tham a relative paste option right?

Already implemented, Ctrl + Shift + V ;)

I'd love to avoid the preview/restart dance when repeatedly previewing missions. Having them start from where you left off last time is a PITA.

Ok this is waaaaayyy out there...

A module or something else that enable you to turn a SP mission into a MP mission. It sorts out all JIP / sync issues anything else MP related.

Like I said, waaayyy out there!

Select a building, select a door within that building, and set it to closed/open/locked/unlocked etc. Then place a key and sync it to the door(s).

Other than for stealth missions, that would serve little to no practical purpose. I mean, why go through all the trouble of looking for a key, when you can knock the bloody thing off of its hinges? :yay:

I agree, there needs to be some big additions to the mission editor! its one of the biggest things that keeps this community alive and big additions would be amazing =)

I know a lot has changed since OFP but nothing major.. like 3d Cabability etc.. would make for placing units, fences, etc all the more easiyer =)

Undo/Redo function is about the only thing not mentioned 2/3 times in here.

The amount of times i've bollocksed somthing up and had to re do it is a pain in the arse.

The drop down weapon select thing sounds a really good idea too, glad im not the only person who thought it logical

Other than for stealth missions, that would serve little to no practical purpose. I mean, why go through all the trouble of looking for a key, when you can knock the bloody thing off of its hinges? :yay:

Try to imagine that as an example only :) the topic is the ability to do it.

Something I'd like to see would be a standard set of pre-defined objectives that can be placed on the map and sync'd to units/groups.

The way I'd imagine this to be implemented in the editor, would be to select from an array of pre-set objectives such as: Assualt, Defend, Destroy, Recon etc. Place the objective on the map and set the dimensions of the area the objective relates to. You could then select from a list of optional parameters which dictate how the units (more for AI) should act to achieve that objective.

Examples of Defensive Parameters

Stand Ground - the unit/group will stay within the dimensions of the objective placement, and will not attempt to sally out or flank the assaulting force.

Hold - the unit/group will attempt to hold ground 'til the assaulting force has the evident upper hand, either by weight of fire/casualties inflicted/proximity.

Default - would be the default, where AI would dictate best course of action to kill/wound/route the assaulting force

Retreat - the unit/group will retreat as soon as a threat is identified

An example mission and how these objectives could be strung together in the editor, via some 'objective sync' like the current sync function:

Defensive force (AI) has orders to stop an assault on a string of closely situated compounds, from a numerically superior force (Player).

• First compund has a Defend-Retreat objective. Defenders see enemy and retreat, trying draw them in to the next compound with favourable firing positions.
  • Second compound has a Defend-Hold objective. Defenders open up on enemy to try press them back. If they take too many casualties or their morale is taking a hit, they retreat to the next compound.
  • Third and last compound has a Defend-Stand Ground objective. No retreat - no surrender - defend at all costs!

Right there is an entire, dynamic scenario which could take a good while to play through, and it would only required the placement of two opposing groups and three objectives sync'd together. Another great thing, is that this wouldn't require any waypoint plotting at all. Though obviously, waypoints could be brought into the mix for a little more certainty.

Offensive Parameters could include things like harassing - hit and run engagements on targets at objective from max range; hold fire/return fire on approach etc.

So place a Recon-Harass objective, sync to a group, click preview and away they go to recon the objective and engage at extreme range, targets of opportunity.

I know it could be done in the current editor - but I think this could really open doors for the "Scripts Make My Eyes Bleed!" folk like myself.

Don't know if this has been already said.

Incorporate the scripting wiki into the editor.

I've seen something like this in VBS2. Where you look at the commands and it tells you what they do and how it should look finished.

Also take some of the FAQs from here and armaholic and incorporate them into the misson pre-determined.

For instance everyone's favorite --- Heli Insertion.

Select the option.

You place helo, units, it asks where you want to start and where you want to finish.

Basically, it simplies the language into just plugging in numbers or units. How many in cargo - 6. Alititue -200, etc...

Not all of us have the time to sit there for hours trolling forums to get 1 aspect to work :-)

Undo/Redo function is about the only thing not mentioned 2/3 times in here.

The amount of times i've bollocksed somthing up and had to re do it is a pain in the arse.

Agreed !

Already implemented, Ctrl + Shift + V ;)

wow thanks! didnt knew this :rolleyes:

Some ideas I would like but probably wont make it in

*Spawn point system, Im dumb I couldnt figure out how to make spawns, placeable spawn points in editor, classified under tools.

*Placeable Checkpoint save locations (giving them depth, diameter, size)

*Easier to read altitude on map, maybe display that information in a small box, information would be from where your cursors location on the map.

*Preview window for placeable objects would be neat

This, and i just watched gamespot E3 coverage of ArmA III and it said that the game will have a 3D editor :)

Edited by Elmas

Someone posted a pic earlier with the idea, but just to state it again. It would be cool if you could select the units gear through a gear menu in the editor. To add on, it would also be great if you could drag and drop into vehicles etc e.g. drag into C130, it asks you what slot and you click pilot or in back or gunner or whatever.

Agreed, those sound good :) A working 3d editor would be great for setting up FOBs and that kind of thing, placing those "?" icons is a nightmare lol.

Someone posted a pic earlier with the idea, but just to state it again. It would be cool if you could select the units gear through a gear menu in the editor. To add on, it would also be great if you could drag and drop into vehicles etc e.g. drag into C130, it asks you what slot and you click pilot or in back or gunner or whatever.

And even if gear will be just plain text names from config and not pictures - it still will be great instead of constantly having the gear list tab open in the browser and switching back and forth when making a mission.