Sign in to follow this  
Tom_Pynchon

Hardware requirements?

I know it's too early for this one, but is there any word as to what the system requirements for ARMA III would be?

Will the game be able to take better advantage of the hyper-threading?

I'm sure I will need -- absolutely need! -- to get this game. So this early, I want to start setting money aside for a PC upgrade. :o

This is the kind of game you build your rig to.

Checking the website usually helps.

But if you're lazy..

CPU: Intel Core i5 or AMD Athlon Phenom X4 or faster

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 5770, shader Model 3 and 896 MB VRAM, or faster

RAM: 2 GB

HDD: 15 GB free space

DVD: Dual Layer compatible

DirectX: 10

Dual Layer DVDs have bigger capacity, if memory serves, in this case I imagine they are referring to the install disk for hard copies.

I would say that the vast majority of DVD players these days have no trouble with dual layer DVDs. If yours doesn't, give it a Viking funeral because it's archaic.

Edited by CameronMcDonald
OH GOD GRAMMATICAL ERRORX

Or get a downloadable version :) But seriously, all dvd players can read dual layer dvd's

are these minimal specs or recommended ?

All we know is that's what they're suggesting now :) in a year's time - who knows. It would be inadvisable to build a PC now for a release a year from now :)

What does the Dual Layer DVD mean?

Basically already been answered but to be technical it's a DVD9. Most burnable discs you find and old first generation dvd's were DVD5's, and had a capacity of little over 4gb. Now and days DVD9's are used by most companies for distribution of games and dvd films as they have somewhere closer to 8gb of data capacity. All dvd drives today can read them as it's standard, some can even burn them if specified, yet I believe burnable dual layer blank discs are rather pricey still, though to be honest I haven't checked in a while.

Edited by Steakslim

are these minimal specs or recommended ?

Judging from what is required to run Arma2 maxed out smoothly I'd say they are minimum... :eek:

The hardware requirements shown on the website.....hahaha.....this will never be enough to play ArmA 3 with 40 - 50 FPS.......Never.....:(

Look at ArmA 2 or OA....

But I think the only chance is if the Game Engine is really optimized für multicore Cpu´s.

It´s better to have an core i7 (one of big cpu´´s), 4 GB or 8 GB RAM, and the biggest Graphiccard you can get in 2012 when the game will be released.

Assasine

Why even bother with trying to come up with recommended specs now when the game is over a year away. In that time, we'll have Intel's new 22mm Ivy Bridge and Nvidia and AMD will be releasing their next generation of video cards.

Instead of speculating on absolute uncertainties, people who want the best PC possible when the game comes out are better served by saving a few bucks every month and buying a new computer next year.

In that time, we'll have Intel's new 22mm Ivy Bridge and Nvidia and AMD will be releasing their next generation of video cards.

*nanometre

22mm processors are like mountains in the microchip world, so mind that.

*nanometre

22mm processors are like mountains in the microchip world, so mind that.

Hahah. Sorry. My typo :D

my face when i saw the requirements

0fda0e90_spongebob-wallet.jpg

At least the CPU seems to be a recommended requirement:

Dwarden a few days ago:

[22:39] <@Dwarden> well let me put it this way

[22:40] <@Dwarden> my HD5770 and C2D on 4GHz still runs A3 :)

[22:40] <@Dwarden> so there is always some hope ;)

At least the CPU seems to be a recommended requirement:

Dwarden a few days ago:

[22:39] <@Dwarden> well let me put it this way

[22:40] <@Dwarden> my HD5770 and C2D on 4GHz still runs A3 :)

[22:40] <@Dwarden> so there is always some hope ;)

Mad jelly I am, yes.

as a optimist id say if you can run arma2 maxed out atm with your setup, you will also be able to run A3 with very good settings. its not a new engine so there must be very much go wrong that the requirements make a very big jump. i expect a very optimized engine and better optimation for quadcores.

My PC is very old in terms of latest, but still chugs away surprisingly well. However it will not support this next instalment, so I will use A3 as a nice benchmark tool and guide to getting my new PC upgrade for next summer :)

I doubt the requirements will be much higher than those of A3. I have an intel Core2 Duo E8400 running at 3 ghz for each core, an Nvidia GTX260 and 4 gigs of DDR3 RAM, and I can run Arma 2 at decent framerates on Chernarus with around 300 Units and a viewdistance of about 4000.

A3 might even get more streamlined and optimized, and run better than Arma 2. At least, that´s what I hope. Graphics after all are good enough, what´s important is gameplay and content.

I doubt the requirements will be much higher than those of A3.
Well, going by the actual requirements, it does :) Coupled with the fact that its a year away also and thats 1 year more into new kit.

I think on the specs you refer too (very similar to me) you might get it to run OK but will hit AI brick walls and bottle necks quicker, and would have to step down the defaults you have now, so its either stay and get it and scale down ... or to stick to your defaults your used to now and go a little further, do an upgrade.

Personally I do need an upgrade for more reasons and this will be the kick up the arse to do it and justify it with some more things on my list of "worth upgrade niggles".

Edited by mrcash2009

I don't have the money for a new PC, and I wont a year from now either with College starting up. My guess is that's what the PC running the test version was. (I hope, anyways.) Let's pray quad-core owners can get away with that.

According to the Steam survey, ~60% of Steam users are still running dual-cores or less. It'd be insane to alienate half of the market just like that.

2012 rig

Hexacore CPU @3.6+ ghz

Dual GTX 560ti 's

8GB dual channel 2000 mhz

TrackIR unit

24' 1920x1080 LED monitor

120GB SSD

:eek:

I know it's too early for this one, but is there any word as to what the system requirements for ARMA III would be?

Will the game be able to take better advantage of the hyper-threading?

I'm sure I will need -- absolutely need! -- to get this game. So this early, I want to start setting money aside for a PC upgrade. :o

This is the kind of game you build your rig to.

It would require computer components that arent currently released to the world...

Here my PC spec:

Intel Q6600 @3000 MHZ

Corsair Dominator PC 1066 CL6 (4 GB)

Asus Rampage Formula

Nvidia GTX275

OCZ Vertex2 SSD

But this will not be enough....:(

Edited by Assasine