Sign in to follow this  
minimalaco

VB-Edit

Modk could you use google sketchup to make the terrain, and then import into V3 for adding buildings?

Gnat;2209507']Yeh' date=' but even with the WRP Tool the "keepers" kept the final improved versions to themselves and refused to release .....

[b']Visitor4 ppppllllllllzzzzzzzzzzzz ![/b]

As a VBS owner, I can sadly tell you that even though Visitor 4 can import and manage visitor 3 maps, and seems to do it fine - buldozer can and will not start up because of p3d files are made different. Cant remember the exact error. I tried using the visitor 3 buldozer with visitor 4, but buldozer just crashes right as it shows the map and models in a white color. :(

Sadly, because damn Visitor 4 seems nice compared to 3. Like night and day.

I was able to run Arma2OA.exe -buldozer hooked up to VBS2's Visitor4. It all worked fine, as the pipelines are the same. (However this was with 1.60, but there shouldn't be a difference in 1.62).

The problem you will have is with exporting the correct type of .wrp, which the BISim Branch of V4 does not do. Luckily, there are tools around that convert it. :)

my VBS2 is now on its way to my mailbox

Oooooooh!

Prepare for Delight & Dismay in equal measure as you tackle the new toolkit! ;)

B

In case you have VBS2, you can try their 60 day free trial:

https://store.bisimulations.com/products/vb-edit-60-day-trial

Without VBS2, you can get also trail for that - mind the 60$ for the USB dongle and shipping.

https://store.bisimulations.com/trials

Also note:

Coming soon: Road-Tool, Terrain-Tool

As for the price of the full version:

https://store.bisimulations.com/software?lic_type=All&tag=&items_per_page=All

Personally I believe its worth the money, if you are doing terrains professionally.

Otherwise it can still save a lot of time, if one gets to learn the power of the tool.

Although it is a somewhat expensive hobby I guess. Still in relation to the many

hundreds or thousand hours people put into creating terrains, it seems like a fair deal.

Some inspiration for a community tool from a video shared by Bushlurker:

I was able to run Arma2OA.exe -buldozer hooked up to VBS2's Visitor4. It all worked fine, as the pipelines are the same. (However this was with 1.60, but there shouldn't be a difference in 1.62).

The problem you will have is with exporting the correct type of .wrp, which the BISim Branch of V4 does not do. Luckily, there are tools around that convert it. :)

So you mean tools to convert the WRP from V3 to V4'ish, and then buldozer should be able to connect properbly without crash?

What tools might that be if you dont mind me asking? ^_^

So you mean tools to convert the WRP from V3 to V4'ish, and then buldozer should be able to connect properbly without crash?

What tools might that be if you dont mind me asking? ^_^

You expressed a desire to use the output map from your work in V4 over in A2OA and he was commenting that you'd need to use one of Mikero's tools (or know what to change manually) on the .wrp that is pumped out by V4 to change it into a .wrp that binarize.exe in the A2OA tools will recognize and then process properly so it can be used in A2OA.

As a VBS owner, I can sadly tell you that even though Visitor 4 can import and manage visitor 3 maps, and seems to do it fine - buldozer can and will not start up because of p3d files are made different. Cant remember the exact error.

Perhaps if you posted the details of the error you were having in the VBS2 forums you might get a solution. I can't imagine V4's buldozer would have difficulty displaying A2OA binarized .p3d's and I know it'd have no problem with mlod's so it may be just a pathing problem.

If it does have problems rendering OA binarized .p3d's then yeah, it's a simple task to replace the VBS2 buldozer.exe with A2OA's game.exe temporarily so you can view the OA content when you're working in V4... mmmm... but then you might have trouble viewing some of the VBS2 tools supplied .p3d's if you use those in your map.

I guess it's just a suck-it-an-see task. Anyhoo, wrong forums for this subject matter anyway.

-Sy

Edited by Synide

You expressed a desire to use the output map from your work in V4 over in A2OA and he was commenting that you'd need to use one of Mikero's tools (or know what to change manually) on the .wrp that is pumped out by V4 to change it into a .wrp that binarize.exe in the A2OA tools will recognize and then process properly so it can be used in A2OA.

Perhaps if you posted the details of the error you were having in the VBS2 forums you might get a solution. I can't imagine V4's buldozer would have difficulty displaying A2OA binarized .p3d's and I know it'd have no problem with mlod's so it may be just a pathing problem.

If it does have problems rendering OA binarized .p3d's then yeah, it's a simple task to replace the VBS2 buldozer.exe with A2OA's game.exe temporarily so you can view the OA content when you're working in V4... mmmm... but then you might have trouble viewing some of the VBS2 tools supplied .p3d's if you use those in your map.

I guess it's just a suck-it-an-see task. Anyhoo, wrong forums for this subject matter anyway.

-Sy

Suck-it-an-see task? Arent you the wise guy.

The subject was turned over on visitor 4 for arma2, and since I had experience with it trying it, I might aswell tell my story with what I ended up with while doing so.. Not everyone has these tools, so there is very little experience with this task I would assume. :)

I expressed a desire to use and edit a visitor 3 mapfile (wrp) in visitor 4. Getting it from visitor 4 to A2AO is another matter in my story. I didnt get to that. Modkalb had luck by using the other exe with buldozer. I didnt. Thats how funny arma tools can be sometimes. It isnt a path problem, and it isnt a "simple task" to replace any .exe files. These are the first things anyone who has a slight clue on how it all works, tries to do, including me. When that doesnt work, what then? Ignore it?, or post the results/questions on Bi forums when you've run out of ideas? I think forums are made to discuss solutions, talk experience, help out and even ask for help. Funny thing you say its the wrong forums. Where then? Because thats the same thing I would be getting on VBS forums.. Mostly because its for another GAME.. So no matter where I write it, I would get that and some awesome moderator would lock it, twice.

Thanks for taking the assumption that I have made no effort, and have tried nothing myself before even thinking about making a post on this forum.

If I sound slightly annoyed by that, its because I am. :o

Edited by MugAben

Suck-it-an-see task? Arent you the wise guy.

The subject was turned over on visitor 4 for arma2, and since I had experience with it trying it, I might aswell tell my story with what I ended up with while doing so.. Not everyone has these tools, so there is very little experience with this task I would assume. :)

I expressed a desire to use and edit a visitor 3 mapfile (wrp) in visitor 4. Getting it from visitor 4 to A2AO is another matter in my story. I didnt get to that. Modkalb had luck by using the other exe with buldozer. I didnt. Thats how funny arma tools can be sometimes. It isnt a path problem, and it isnt a "simple task" to replace any .exe files. These are the first things anyone who has a slight clue on how it all works, tries to do, including me. When that doesnt work, what then? Ignore it?, or post the results/questions on Bi forums when you've run out of ideas? I think forums are made to discuss solutions, talk experience, help out and even ask for help. Funny thing you say its the wrong forums. Where then? Because thats the same thing I would be getting on VBS forums.. Mostly because its for another GAME.. So no matter where I write it, I would get that and some awesome moderator would lock it, twice.

Thanks for taking the assumption that I have made no effort, and have tried nothing myself before even thinking about making a post on this forum.

If I sound slightly annoyed by that, its because I am. :o

Perhaps a bit of a case of 'lost in translation'. I shouldn't use 'slang' in my text as you've appeared to get the completely wrong intention. I don't think I typed anything there that gives the impression I'm assuming you've made no effort. But, I apologize if you've interpreted it that way.

In principal though because you're talking V4 you really should be talking about it over in the VBS2 forums, even if, unfortunately you don't get the responses you're hoping for. It's unlikely your posts would get 'locked' over there whereas it's a higher percentage chance they will here.

I understand you're frustration though as essentially you're wanting to use V4 in a non-standard usage scenario so you're unlikely to get a lot of help over in the VBS2 forums from support staff as it's really outside their scope to do so. This then means you're reliant on VBS2 end users that may have a foot in both camps to pass on information. I hope this response hasn't dampened you're enthusiasm or annoyed you.

-Sy

I expressed a desire to use and edit a visitor 3 mapfile (wrp) in visitor 4.

One of the first things I tried with V4 was importing some A2 work... my "Carraigdubh" terrain...

Navids_small_zpsb8059f41.jpg

Visitor 4 has .pew and .wrp import capability (File> Import > Maps)

That should get the basics in there, though some restructuring will no doubt be required...

Extended Visitor 4 or even VBS discussion is generally discouraged around here, and the VBS forums rarely mention Arma 2 "crossover" projects... your best bet is probably to PM or Skype with the few people around who have a foot in both camps...

Using V4 is my main employment nowadays, so you're welcome to PM me with questions on any specific stuff you're stuck with...

Mondkalb knows his way around V4 too nowadays, he's usually amenable to a well-aimed PM too, so you're not entirely on your own...

In fact, a while ago now, Mondkalb started up a Skype "V4 users making Arma2 stuff" channel... I think there were only about 3 or 4 of us initially, and I can't remember the last time anybody posted in there, nor do I even have the link anymore... Might be worth asking Mondkalb if he'd care to revive that channel, or there's nothing to stop you starting a new one - invite a few people... then at least there IS a forum where such things can be discussed, and the people involved might even know a thing or two about the topic...

B

Edited by Bushlurker