Sign in to follow this  
-=seany=-

Steel (ahem..take inspiration) from the popular mods!

WHAT?! I can't hear you! *points at ear protection that look like giant Vulcan ears* :p

Hell, they already modeled the ear protection, might as well make it functional right? :p

A2OA_ingame_screenshot_03.jpg

http://www.botachtactical.com/pelcomtac.html

In my humble opinion, the more of these systems BIS implements into vanilla A3 the better. I agree with the OP though, that they should be fully embraced rather than partially.

OA made several features of ACE for A2 obsolete, features that people seem to enjoy in their vanilla OA. It is sad though to see partially implemented features like IR strobes in OA (that you oddly can't attach to yourself). The list goes on but I won't get into that.

I just think it would be really beneficial if BIS stepped it up and brought in some of the features that have been mentioned.

For me the most brilliant feature of ACE is sight adjustment system. It is functional, it is realistic, has no issues. Especially in latest version with animated reticles, front focal plane reticles, correct elev adjustment steps. At the moment it's almost perfect.

That's the way it always should have been in vanilla.

I'm quite confused to see the same fictional PSO reticle since Arma 1 to OA. And even in OA you can not set elevation with SVD. Aaargh, it is not BDC!:mad:(well it is after 1000m) Totally unplayable..

So BIS, Ctrl+C Ctrl+V please;)

Edited by Blu3sman

I really think that bohemia should work with some of the ace devs for arma 3 and make ace a part of the game. Because updating ace and downloading it can get frustrating. Or maybe they can add a regular mode and a ace mode

Exactly. This is the essence of it. Why reinvent the wheel. Just tweak the game by bringing in the work of modders who do it out of a labor of love.

My opinion on the matter:

1: Disagree.

2: Agree.

3: Agree.

4: Agree.

5: Agree.

6: Definitely agree.

7: Agree.

just the same :)

Most ACE features just enhance the game in overall without extra complications (especialy those related to night warfare).

From the top of my head, the features that I wouldn´t put in the vanilla game is the stamina system, deafness, new explosives system and the whole battery (ok to the need to have the "ammo"; load\unload\prepare is too much for the vanilla)

I'm torn about this. There was stuff in ACE that I just didn't use, it was nice to have though, and there were other things I felt like, well this is a mil-sim, why wasn't this in the game.

Then I think... this is a game. I don't always want realism out of it. You get shot, a medic comes and heals you, your back in the game :)

Maybe add the stuff as a default? Then you can turn it off and on... up to the modders of course.

Dont forget about back blast for launchers but yes, it's a good idea to implement more ace features (weapon resting, ect)

OH god yes back blast.

I remember when Ace for ArmA2 came out, and there were hilarous videos of teammates getting taken out by the backblast because they weren't used to it, or oblivious to the feature itself lol. Same with tank overpressure.

Weapon resting, rocket blow-back, individual weapon ballistics, auto-rotation, all things I want to see.

Don't want to see combat deafness or the ridiculous high-G blackouts (The pilots wear G-suits...).

Yes BIS SHOULD look at community made mods.... It would definitely improve the game..

Yes BIS SHOULD look at community made mods.... It would definitely improve the game..

This. Analyse the most popular first, they are popular for a reason!

Ah Yes, Backblast and Tank Overpressure. Always good for a laugh.

A lot of features from ACE should be implemented.

If some feel too complicated - implement them on optional basis.

Things that ACE offers like weapon resting, better wind simulation, better optics adjusting and zeroing, better medical system, better tank/armored vehicle stuff (more realistic ammo types, realistic range finder laser, more realistic damage), MFDs in aerial vehicles - are a must.

While i respect all the brainpower and work which Sickboy and his cronies have put into ACE, i gotta say ACE is not for everyone. At the end of the day some guys just want to play realistic missions without fiddling around with bandages, earplugs and weapon resting features that accidently lock up your aiming in the worst possible moment.

So plz, some mods should stay mods without going into the vanilla game.

It's like saying ArmA3 should boost PvP. Plz stop with your elitism.

)rStrangelove;1937406']While i respect all the brainpower and work which Sickboy and his cronies have put into ACE' date=' i gotta say ACE is not for everyone. At the end of the day some guys just want to play realistic missions without fiddling around with bandages, earplugs and weapon resting features that accidently lock up your aiming in the worst possible moment.

So plz, some mods should stay mods without going into the vanilla game.

It's like saying ArmA3 should boost PvP. Plz stop with your elitism.[/quote']

Neglect the whole mod because of a few things you don't like? Talk about elitism. They could easily be tweaked by BIS to get to their standards, whatever they are.

http://ace.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Documentation

Click "Features" and tell me, with all honesty, how can you reject all 95 features over one point of view?

Surely most will not make it but there are some brilliant ones that should.

Neglect the whole mod because of a few things you don't like? Talk about elitism. They could easily be tweaked by BIS to get to their standards, whatever they are.

http://ace.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Documentation

Click "Features" and tell me, with all honesty, how can you reject all 95 features over one point of view?

Surely most will not make it but there are some brilliant ones that should.

ACE is great, but it should be modular to have more appeal IMO. I know I know - it's not the design philosophy, and I accept that, but still I think it'd be more useful as a modular addon suite.

As such, a lot of features added into ArmA3 should be modular. Medic systems, stamina systems, all can be made as editor placed modules. That way maximum flexibility is assured.

Neglect the whole mod because of a few things you don't like?

It is called option of choice really. I been with ACE, and still i wouldn't want some feature in the vanilla game. There are some that i am sure it will find there place in though.

anyways, there are a lot of other addons and mods that BIS should be looking over, besides ACE

Edited by PuFu

ACE is great, but it should be modular to have more appeal IMO. I know I know - it's not the design philosophy, and I accept that, but still I think it'd be more useful as a modular addon suite.

As such, a lot of features added into ArmA3 should be modular. Medic systems, stamina systems, all can be made as editor placed modules. That way maximum flexibility is assured.

The design philosohpy is providing and supporting an ACE default, with configurability for many components, and modules to handle things, like you can turn off the Stamina system.

If you take a close look at ACE you will find that a great many things are configurable out of the box in ingame settings, userconfig and serverconfig,

while many other things are configurable per mission in the form of modules and global variables, and even globally by creating a server-side-addon (also valid for SP).

http://ace.dev-heaven.net/wagn/ACE_Settings_Userconfig_and_Clippi

http://ace.dev-heaven.net/wagn/API

Not to mention the fact that our assets for various factions are available in seperate mod-folders, while the ACE core is usable on it's own too.

Splitting it further up only complicates MP; missing an addon, having an addon too many, fairness; advantages, disadvantages etc.

Ref appeal, I think we're doing alright :) Our goal has never been to satisfy everyone (out of the box).

Other than that, the game is highly modable as evident by the many great mods available, the same counts for ACE;

If we do not provide an API for it, there's nothing stopping you from overriding or changing behaviour / config / scripts (functions, etc), just like any other mod does for the original game.

This option is often overlooked, perhaps because people don't know (or realize) about it, but doesn't change the fact that beyond the out of the box configuration, you have all freedom to do whatever you want, however you want.

Configure, supplement, and modify, either by API or by casual modding practices; plenty of options ;)

http://ace.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Modification

In short; it can be as configurable and as modular as you want it to be, while we provide you with our vision, scope and goals, beyond that it is in your hands.

But in ref to implementation in A3, I certainly agree that modular and configurable is preferred, but once more - that is already the case even for things that are not provided by modules, through modifying the config.

Edited by Sickboy

I think we're doing alright :) Our goal has never been to satisfy everyone.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong - ACE is a great product. No question :) and I fully understand the value of not trying to please everbody ;) my own addons are only designed to please me :D

To be fair, I base my opinion on a readme/post/blog from a long time ago where it suggested that PBO files cannot/should not be removed as there are cross-dependencies. And of course it's certainly true that I cannot simply add one single PBO from ACE into my addon mix, it's definately an all-or-nothing addon suite, with options.

Which is OK, it's the design paradigm. ACE is a game solution not an addon suite, I just make the point for some elements being integrated into a new ArmA build being modular.

The problem with ACE and ACRE is that immediately after they were made, it made BIS using them extremely difficult without looking like complete thieves.

:raisebrow:

The problem with ACE and ACRE is that immediately after they were made, it made BIS using them extremely difficult without looking like complete thieves.

:raisebrow:

i would take it as a compliment if features i designed makes into a final vanilla product

ACRE is an absolute must include in Arma 3.

To be fair, I base my opinion on a readme/post/blog from a long time ago where it suggested that PBO files cannot/should not be removed as there are cross-dependencies. And of course it's certainly true that I cannot simply add one single PBO from ACE into my addon mix, it's definately an all-or-nothing addon suite, with options.
Yea in essence, but the point I was trying to make is that even though you are required to run all pbo's from the core mod,

this does not directly mean you must run/use all the features.

Even if the API does not provide you with the options you are looking for, you can still accomplish anything you want by overriding configs, scripts/functions, or even complete pboprefix paths :)

Take the BIS CrewServedWeapons and Rucksacks in OA for example.

They don't require you to place any module, but if you don't want to use them you can:

- Simply not provide these items in your mission

- Override the config and disable backPack/CSW config properties effectively disabling the system etc.

If you don't want to use sightadjustments you can disable the key in the controls, or also override the properties in the config.

But other than that, you are right, it is not designed as seperate self contained components that you can freely mix and match just based on adding/removing a bunch of pbo's.

In any case, for the features directly in the game, I think:

- For realism features it should be a difficulty option

- Major gameplay changers like Stamina and Wounding system I think certainly should stay optional, placeable by module, or perhaps also as difficulty option could work

- For being able to do additional things like Cargo, SightAdjust, Ruck, etc, these don't really need much options IMO

Edited by Sickboy