Sign in to follow this  
r3volution

Cover system for Arma3?

Would Arma3 benefit from having a cover system?  

310 members have voted

1. 1. Would Arma3 benefit from having a cover system?

• Yes, I think a cover system would make combat more immersive
    • No, a cover system would detract from Arma's gameplay style
    • Don't really care one way or the other

As a matter of fact, there already is cover system in Arma series. You may notice that vast majority of obstacles, be it walls, fences, rocks etc., are specificaly designed in a way that thay provide cover for at least one of the soldier stances.

What's more, there's difference between cover and concealment. Arma series provides both and sticky cover system would lead to confusion (can you already hear people complaining about being shot through cover which was not cover at all? :)).

When you look at games with 'cover system', they're usually more corridor based shooters where type of obstacle and enemy's position are clearly defined and there's little or no risk of ambush from behind. If your ever were in cover in one of these games and enemy got behind you, you know how clumsy and slow reacting usually is.

With such developer's mentality it's one less to worry about for me.

And yes. If anyone of you played GTA4 and tried to fight cops outside of corridor missions you surely remember all the "FFFUUUUUUU-" when they attacked you from behind and you were stickied to the cover.

What we have in ArmA2 is great. You have all the freedom you need. The only possible improvement is how it's done in Raven Shield

People just complain because in console shooters with cover when ducking behind the cover you are absolutely invincible and yet can immediately get up and put a precise headshot despite your avatar not knowing what's going on around him.

In ArmA2 they get killed.

I wouldn't want a cover system, like mentioned its too much of a system that control's you to a point, want the freedom we have than that TBH.

I think it might be just looking at it wrong, rather that that one size fits all system we just need tweaking on clipping on gun and the usual things with CQB, collisions better generally with rocks etc and maybe the ability to slide to cover as an anim and some nice leaning smoothness, just the plain old anim/fix debate realy.

I think to have a system for cover doesn't realy "fit" with it.

I suppose in retrospect I should have made my point about a cover system clearer in the poll options, as I'm definitely not for the 'gears of war' style of cover mechanics. But I do feel that something which provides the ability to adapt your stance to the object your taking cover behind and give you better animations/actions could benefit the gameplay, particularly in the way AI behave, as others have mentioned they do notice cover in the game, they're just woefully inadequate at using it to protect themselves in a firefight.

I am against the implimentation of a cover system. Every cover system I have seen has seemed, "Arcady," to me. I don't like the though of, "Sticking," to walls, objects, or being stuck to a wall when I am trying to turn a corner.

I would rather see a fluid-stance feature implimented than a cover system like those I have seen. Even the Red Orchestra 2 system seems like a bit much for me.

However, if they did decide to go with a cover system, I would like to see it as an optional feature that could be turned on or off at the players' discretion.

I cant believe people voting yes for this noobish request in ArmA. Actually you can take cover very easy, also in low walls, in crouch position you just have to look down and your character gonna take cover lowering the head, then you can press prone key

When you look at games with 'cover system', they're usually more corridor based shooters where type of obstacle and enemy's position are clearly defined and there's little or no risk of ambush from behind. If your ever were in cover in one of these games and enemy got behind you, you know how clumsy and slow reacting usually is.

This is a good point. Games with cover systems know certain things, like what cover is good, and where the danger is coming from. The whole point of an ArmA-like game is that you do NOT have predetermined battle scenarios like this. What happens if you're stuck in a cover-pose, and you're flanked or surprised from behind? That cover is no longer cover, it's a velcro trap made to kill you :)

If you get shot from behind, you are dead most of the times, cover system or no cover system doesn't matter and pressing one button to get out of the animation is hardly "being stuck" :j:

in most of the games with cover systems you can take a lot of pounding before you actually die, which is not the case with BIS games.

I for once would love to see more interaction with the environment, such as already suggested fluid movement (vertical and/or horizontal)

I am against factors limiting movement in a 2d space. I believe smookie addon could be taken as a proof of concept for bohemia, as well as other systems

Well thats because now adays people really like those "lean back to the wall" stuff because they were...er.....look COOL....

Good first person cover systems: Call of Juraez 2, Red Orchestra 2.

Its not hard to use cover In Arma 2, but it could have been more immersive.

With a headtracking device you can lean down a bit dynamically, something I find myself using more and more.

Edited by sparks50

fuYL-keoGvU

This is the only thing i find searching for vietcong cover system :o

Cover systems are for pussies! :) .

Edit: Vietcong more or less nailed it.

Quote cover system only for AI

:j:

And how will AI benefit from it exactly?

I bet cover systems helped all those 1000s of poor AIs on your killlist in games with them.

AI already has a nice cover system in ArmA2. All it needs is fine tuning - like making AI use corners better instead of exposing half of his body f.e.

Hehe, the two games I hear about again and again -Vietcong and Ghost Recon/Raven, refuse to play on Win7 64. I want to know what all the fuss is about! :D

I remember first time I tried Vegas and was like "wow, amazing cover!" -feeling died in maybe 2 hours and never played again. The point that they work well in limited, predefined mission space but would fall apart in wide open world -makes sense.

Personally I'm still amazed how far the AI have come when I see them leaning out to take pot shots at me -a wet dream from the OFP era!

I think everyone should try Smookie's Animation Replacement Pack especially those who are complaining about cover system. It's only v0.2 but it's already pretty amazing stuff.

Hope Smokie will get back to wall work on both sides not just over the left shoulder.

Dude you can shoot around corners very straight with that addon exposing only your weapon no matter how big said weapon is. And not have any hand traumas.

That's ridiculous.

Among other unrealistic or redundant things (like hugging the wall or the absolute requirement to use 3rd person near walls for a lot of animations to not look stupid, or climbing over walls with a heavy backpack).

Hehe, the two games I hear about again and again -Vietcong and Ghost Recon/Raven, refuse to play on Win7 64. I want to know what all the fuss is about! :D

I remember first time I tried Vegas and was like "wow, amazing cover!" -feeling died in maybe 2 hours and never played again. The point that they work well in limited, predefined mission space but would fall apart in wide open world -makes sense.

Personally I'm still amazed how far the AI have come when I see them leaning out to take pot shots at me -a wet dream from the OFP era!

Try Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, it had the best system IMO. It didnt depend on chest high walls, not 3rd person based and you didnt need to press any buttons. There is probably a demo around to try.

Try Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, it had the best system IMO. It didnt depend on chest high walls, not 3rd person based and you didnt need to press any buttons. There is probably a demo around to try.

I agree thats very good :)

@metalcraze

If BIS can do that kind of cover system I believe they would make it even more realistic like exposing only light weapons or make MG's to be veeeery unaccurate and you can't climb over the walls with 100kg backpack etc.

I went thru the game twice and barely used it, it was glitchy too.

@metalcraze

If BIS can do that kind of cover system I believe they would make it even more realistic like exposing only light weapons or make MG's to be veeeery unaccurate and you can't climb over the walls with 100kg backpack etc.

It's already unrealistic. How can they make it "even more" realistic?

No soldier is trained to waste ammo like that nor is it effective in any way.

It just looks "cool"

I went thru the game twice and barely used it, it was glitchy too.

I also didnt use it that often because the game was incredibly easy most of the time, still, i really liked that feature. It could be twitchy at times, but i still found it better than in any other game i played since its barely a 'cover system', you just walk up to an object and look around as you would in other games without any 'cover system'.