Sign in to follow this  
JAG201509

fix the parachuting

I don't think that non-ejection seat helicopter pilots should be able to eject out of a low flying, about-to-crash aircraft, but they should certainly be able to lower a rope out and simply climb down and then "jump" really hard right before they hit the ground thereby cancelling out the downward force with their upward motion from their jump!

I think this might be what is actually happening with ArmA parachute landing right now. You will notice that the player "jumps" out of the parachute right before it hits the ground - thereby negating the need to perform a PLF (parachute landing fall).

Ok the these are the helicopters that i know of that have ejection seats:

cobra/super cobra

Euro-copter tiger

and im pretty sure the Apache long-bow has them as well

None of those ever came with rocket-seats. Trying to eject out of a helicopter via the means of rocket propulsion is pretty pointless when the chopper you're trying to leave cannot ditch the main rotor blades before you shoot right yourself into them, aye?

i definalty know that the tiger has ejection seats.. when the pilot pulls the ejection handle the rotors get blown of (as said above) and the pilot ejects.. I am a Air force cadet and about to go into the Australian army i have studied these aircraft and i know what they can and can not do.

i definalty know that the tiger has ejection seats.. when the pilot pulls the ejection handle the rotors get blown of (as said above) and the pilot ejects.. I am a Air force cadet and about to go into the Australian army i have studied these aircraft and i know what they can and can not do.
You definately know nothing! The Kamov-50 and 52 are curently the only two helicopters in the world featuring an ejection seat.

Where the hell is the pilot supposed to eject to, that's simply not possible!

image of proof

Edited by Beagle

One would think ADF cadets check their claims before going live... whatever.

The Tiger can eject part of the canopy glass incase the crew needs to get away from the ship quick. There are however no ejection seats on any of the airframes you've mentioned, JAG.

[/url]

helicopters can blow off their rotors in an emergancy so the pilots can eject. i know it sounds stupid but that is what happens

Well, James Bond and Natalia eject from a Tiger in Goldeneye... :p

LoZbQBj7IN8

Buuuuut I believe that is a Hollywood fabrication.

Documentation? Proof?

so you dont belive that helicopter can blow off their rotors?

i know this is a game but this is what they do:

I believe Phaeden is questioning whether the Tiger has an ejection system, not the Ka-50.

Aha..and blowing off your rotors does help with emergency landings right?

The main reason why western helos have no ejection seat is the flight profile they are made for...a ejection seat is not that good at 15m altitude, at that altitude you better simply land or crashland.

The Ka-50 is made to operate beetwen 50 and 150m altitude...that gives time for a chute to open. The Ka-50 lacks the crash survivability that western helos rely on...that's why it has a ejection seat and rotor blade separation.

The cobra has a door jettisoning explosive charge. I don't think the crew wear parachutes, though.

You definately know nothing! The Kamov-50 and 52 are curently the only two helicopters in the world featuring an ejection seat.

image of proof

Mi-28 has a ejection seat.

@Jag, I know there are helos that have that capability but nothing from America.

i think they are experimenting with ejector seats for the modern western helicopters eg.

Cobra/super cobra (if you could call them modern)

tiger

apache

What makes you think that? You could call all of them modern - most people do.

the cobra and super cobra came into service during the vietnam war.. thats pretty old for a aircraft.. and what makes me think that they are experimenting with ejector seats in those helicopters is because i have seen pictures but i can remember where i saw them orther wise i would of posted them here already to shut you up!!

the cobra and super cobra came into service during the vietnam war.. thats pretty old for a aircraft.. and what makes me think that they are experimenting with ejector seats in those helicopters is because i have seen pictures but i can remember where i saw them orther wise i would of posted them here already to shut you up!!

Well, perhaps until you do find references, you could be more respectful to the people who disagree with you.

@Jag, I'm not trying to make you mad. If you want to have ejection seats on a helicopter, tank or a mountain bike, you are more than welcome to model one. If you're talking real world however, I have never seen ejection seats on any US helicopter. I am aware that testing has been done but nothing was ever put into production. Therefore, "nearly all modern attack helicopters have [ejection seats] fitted" is an inaccurate statement. As for "modern" aircraft, basically anything from the 1960s onward that is still in the inventory is considered modern. As far as I know, all air frames, such as B-52, CH-46 and AH-1, that still fly have had significant upgrades. Other, similarly "aged" aircraft, such as the B-58, A-4, F-4, A-6, have not received upgrades and are sitting in bone yards or cut up for scrap.

Back to the original topic, I would like to see a real parachute animation. To see it from start to finish would be great. I would even like to see a proper procedure put in place - everything from hooking up in the aircraft to lowering/dropping your gear to turning into the wind before landing. I doubt we'll see anything like that in ArmA 2 or 3 but it would be cool.

@ Phaeden: i am probaly wrong just i swear i have seen pictures of apaches useing ejection seats.

its good that your the first person to try and get this thread back on topic :)

with the turning into the wind and all that stuff before landing, are you talking about circuits??

:)

With landing into the wind, I am talking about using the T-10C/D parachute and a standard para-insertion (not HALO/HAHO) from 1250 feet AGL. These are the chutes that most airborne personnel use in the military. They don't have as much control as the rectangular one's that specops use. You fall at a rate of about 22 feet per second and can't really slow them down like you can with the rectangular chutes (you can slow them a little bit if you "fluff" the chute but if you get this wrong you hit going even faster).

The "normal" chutes are designed to give the jumper a slight forward momentum (I don't recall the exact speed but it is something like 4 knots). If you don't turn into the wind, the wind pushing you in combination with the speed of the chute can mean you hit the ground at too fast to land correctly. When you turn into the wind, you reduce the relative speed of the wind by 4 knots (or whatever the exact spec is).

In real life, you also drop your ruck sack and rifle before you hit the ground (around 150 feet AGL) on a long line that is connected to your harness. This is so that it doesn't contribute to injury.

It would be cool to see a mod (I am not volunteering) that would allow for a jumper to leave the aircraft, have the chute auto deploy (with a 5% chance that it doesn't open, open properly or is damaged - which would mean the player would have to deploy the reserve). The player would have control over the chute. The player animation would be correct (knees together and slightly bent). The player would drop his gear on the line before hitting the ground (or risk a chance of injury). The player would perform a PLF (animation). The player would have to collect his gear (and stow the parachute).

Alas, as I mentioned before, I don't think that this will happen but it would be cool.

5% is pretty high! One in twenty jumpers have bad chutes? That would be one in every stick.

OK, that may be a tad high but it would mean that players would stand a higher chance of having to do it in game (which would keep things interesting). There are also other types of malfunctions (such as twisted lines) that would be really hard to simulate in game.

Phaeden that sounds like a very good idea for a mod.. if i knew how to mod and do all that fancy stuff i would definatley be working on it :)