Sign in to follow this  
JAG201509

fix the parachuting

My main gripes with parachuting are:

1) Could have some landing animation and camera shakes, rather than "not able to reach ground". Annoying having to script solutions for this.

2) Unnecessary and unnatural tumbling in non steerable chutes, and that they are not round (so we need both).

3) No HALO gear if you want some authenticity to high altitude HALO insertions.

No, Im saying that its almost impossible to parajump out of a huey at extremely low altitudes in a huey which is going to crash, they will get chopped in the rotorblades.

You have to be pretty high in ArmA2 before you can successfully para jump.

true, i have seen the Australian comandos para jump from a huey at a low altitude ( which i can remember) but they where fine after that.

Training: ~150 meters (500 feet) minimum height ~150 knots (173 mph) maximum speed for deployment.

Combat: ~75 meters (250 ft) AGL

It takes about 4 seconds for a chute to open. At combat minimum, that leaves about 5 seconds under canopy (or smacking the ground if your main didn't open - no time for a reserve).

I've heard that Russians in WW2 jumped at even lower altitude into soft snow but I haven't find any research to back up this scuttlebutt (I have a feeling it is based on some rare/unique event and has grown over the years).

While they're at it, they can fix the fact that the parachute is a solid object and will hold the occupant off the ground if the canopy hits the ground first. what makes it worse that on landing it can make the parachutist stuck in a infinite loop - the folding animation goes downwards and backwards, and if the parachutist is off the ground for whatever reason (like the parachute lifting the guy off the ground while folding) it will re-deploy and start the whole process over again. It's been in the bugtracker for months. (though extra votes might get a bit of attention!)

@JAG201509; the problem with the animation is that the game treats the parachute as a "vehicle" with all the included physics and inertia, so that jump on the ground you're seeing is just the standard 'dismount' animation that happens whenever you get out of a vehicle.

off topic: btw JAG, don't assume you're the only person with a 'PH299' on these forums. ;) and just an FYI, craft like the Apache and Tiger have armored/high-placed cockpits and collapsing landing gear to cushion the impact of a crash to make them survivable; the way attack helicopters are usually flown mean the time needed to react and fire a ejection seat is usually not there, but the low altitude means it also won't be falling at terminal velocity either - meaning an emphasis on internal survivability is better than one of external survivability.

off topic: btw JAG, don't assume you're the only person with a 'PH299' on these forums. .

just woundering is the PH299 the new blue book??

:D

His landing was quite quick in terms of animation etc tbh.

i hate how slow you fall in them, it takes forever to touch down. (unless its a steerable one then you can accelerate and thats ok)

well dont jump from so high then

And deploy it 10m above ground as usual?

The parachutes are extremely annoying and not jumping from so high is hardly a solution...

Bohemia should really step up and fix the parachutes, create a hardcoded system that works for everyone and goes in line with the "realism" aspect of the game. You shouldnt join a mission and find insta-deploy parachutes which can be controlled, only to join another mission where parachutes take 4 seconds to deploy and cannot be controlled, and then join yet another mission where your parachute doesnt even deploy when you do a HALO.

And deploy it 10m above ground as usual?

The parachutes are extremely annoying and not jumping from so high is hardly a solution...

Bohemia should really step up and fix the parachutes, create a hardcoded system that works for everyone and goes in line with the "realism" aspect of the game. You shouldnt join a mission and find insta-deploy parachutes which can be controlled, only to join another mission where parachutes take 4 seconds to deploy and cannot be controlled, and then join yet another mission where your parachute doesnt even deploy when you do a HALO.

It's difficult for me to know where to begin :)

By "realism" you're actually advocating "gameplay" because you wish for a one-size-only fix. All parachutes to act exactly the same regardless of context.

Mission design drives the gameplay.

I highly, highly doubt that the HALO unopened parachute was a deliberate thing.

:)

By "realism" you're actually advocating "gameplay" because you wish for a one-size-only fix. All parachutes to act exactly the same regardless of context.

Dan makes a good point.

Static line parachutes are usually uncontrollable. Free-fall chutes are usually controllable. If you make all chutes controllable or otherwise, you nuke realism.

Pilots can eject from helicopters in ARMA 2 realistically because it's a well known fact that before every mission, their meal consists of beans and Jalapeno peppers.

All they have to do is open the canopy and a gas discharge ejects them from their seat.

/thread