Sign in to follow this  
Dibuk

They better have female soldiers...

Would you like to see women in ArmA 3?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see women in ArmA 3?

• I would like to see female combat units for each/certain military faction(s)
    • I would prefer only civilian female characters, but with full combat animations/capability
    • I wouldn't mind seeing civilian female characters, but don't care/prefer if they are combat capable
    • I would prefer to see no female characters in ArmA 3 (downgrade from ArmA 2)

There are women in combat roles in other countries, and women in non combat roles have engaged in combat. Not to worry.

Nah, i guess not:

397619_q75.jpg

Part of the 2011 US Army 'Best Warrior Competition'

Women are barred from combat roles in the IDF, and have been barred for well over 50 years.

Interesting...

"The right of women to serve in any role in the IDF is equal to the right of men."

Source

Edited by Scarecrow398

LOL she can't even get him off the ground.

---------- Post added at 09:43 ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 ----------

"The right of women to serve in any role in the IDF is equal to the right of men."

You have much to learn grasshopper -

http://www.your-krav-maga-expert.com/women-in-idf.html

And this is how it all plays out in the real world -

1HDmFsAc1Rw

LOL she can't even get him off the ground.

All ArmAverse female soldiers of the year 2035 will be genetically enhanced so they will be able to carry their male counterparts with ease (among other things). The only downside of this enhancements is partial lose of emotions and the only way one can gain them back is by developing an unexpected relationship with some villagers (south american or middle eastern) while defending them from a greedy corporation/marauding gang.

AT least that's how I see it...

Women are barred from combat roles in the IDF, and have been barred for well over 50 years.

Funny, the IDF says the exact opposite is true: http://www.idf.il/1086-14000-EN/Dover.aspx

Today, almost every single position in the IDF is open for female soldiers including combat, field instruction, intelligence and more. Upon enlisting to the IDF girls are offered combat positions in a variety of units including the Artillery Corps, Field Intelligence Corps, Home Front Command Search and Rescue, and several infantry positions. The Karakal infantry battalion was created to enable female IDF soldiers to serve in a combat position alongside males. The IDF commando K9 unit, Oketz, also drafts females as elite combat soldiers.

All ArmAverse female soldiers of the year 2035 will be genetically enhanced so they will be able to carry their male counterparts with ease

OK I'm down with that. :D

And this is how it all plays out in the real world -

I've seen video of male soldiers failing to kick open doors.

I would also appreciate it if you would tone down the rhetorc please.

edit: To qualify that, this topic is troll city because it is divisive. Certain points of view, while valid or not, are very close to the rule against bigotry. If everyone uses calm rhetoric, without obtuse statements or other trollish behaviour, there is much less chance of this topic getting shut down or infractions being issued because of some grey area between being a smart ass and being a bigot.

Edited by Max Power

Max why ask people to tone down the rhetoric when you are the biggest offender here when it comes to gender equality. BIS themselves have released gameplay footage of a male soldier in underwear and nobody got upset, yet when I posted a video of a female in underwear firing an assault rifle you made a big fuss about it. That's gender discrimination!

This is the last time I'm going to entertain your weasely rhetoric without an infraction, Dragonshot. I don't know if you're just kidding, and I don't care.

Max why ask people to tone down the rhetoric when you are the biggest offender here when it comes to gender equality.

Am I? Am I really the biggest offender?

It's all about the context, Dragonshot. Let me explain so we can be on the same page if our paths cross again.

BIS themselves have released gameplay footage of a male soldier in underwear and nobody got upset

You see, every time BIS puts out a game, a thread pops up about putting female troops in the game that naturally divides into two camps, and then the other hangers on, spammers, and trolls circle for the lulz. In a discussion about the politics and practicality of gender roles in the armed forces, posting a shot of sexualized models in high heels with guns for base male amusement is inappropriate. I believe the implicit comparison is a shocking affront to the dignity of female soldiers. Whether you meant it that way or not is quite immaterial. All of these discussions eventually go down hill that way, and I was trying to keep the topic open without the BS that makes them inevitably close. At best, your post was spam. At worst, it was the usual bigotted crap.

yet when I posted a video of a female in underwear firing an assault rifle you made a big fuss about it.

More on the context of the issue, BI is showing off artwork they made to support their uniform changing system. They also didn't do it in a discussion about gender roles.

BTW. What set you off to think I was making a big fuss? The word 'pl0x' or the word 'moar'? I can only imagine the rage you must have felt over the internets with such serious diction.

That's gender discrimination!

I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I really think you're missing the point. You are free to post stupid videos and other spam elsewhere on the internetz. Here, you are not. So, I hope you have enjoyed the little chat we had in lieu of the infraction you deserve for violating rule §2. I suggest you acquaint yourself well with the forum rules if you wish to remain here. Thank you :)

This is an interesting topic that I avoided precisely because I knew there would be drama involved.

There are technical limitations with ArmA2 animation system that does not allow soldiers to be of different height or shoulder broadness so I suppose that alone is a reason not to have female soldiers - since I doubt Bi will spend so much effort on it.

As for future warfare: there are plenty of arguments against having women in front-line military. They range from "fairly objective but missing the point" throughout "easily refuted but stubbornly repeated" (statistically most common) all the way to insult grade "you know nothing about military, son". ;)

I'll skip giving actual examples or refuting them because, quite frankly, any person of average intelligence can do it themselves in their free time.

The main argument and one that makes most sense is "we can get enough male recruits" to which I'll quickly reply:

1) the argument only works when you have strict standards that women cannot possibly meet (which is not the case and currently many male recruits are not in top shape... or have been convicted for small time crimes in the past)

2) assuming the history of ArmAverse it is very likely majority of good soldier material has been used up on previous conflicts and you're basically left with choice of either using mostly people who were not meeting previous requirements or female candidates.

3) units do not have to be mixed. If mixed crews are somehow a necessity they are not a problem.

Max your overeacting in a girlish manner, no need to get all hissy bitchy about it. This may come as a complete shock to you but women don't play milsims, the only people here who want to see woman soldiers in arma3 are the weirdo's that want to pretend they are girls and play as female characters lol.

Max your overeacting in a girlish manner, no need to get all hissy bitchy about it. This may come as a complete shock to you but women don't play milsims, the only people here who want to see woman soldiers in arma3 are the weirdo's that want to pretend they are girls and play as female characters lol.

Very apropos. On the one hand I really do appreciate the opportunistic nature of your comment. On the other hand, you were warned.

Unfortunately insulting moderators is not tolerated here. It is one of the very few offences that results in an instant and permanent ban. Actually, there are only two or three out of forty some-odd.

Edited by Max Power

As for future warfare: there are plenty of arguments against having women in front-line military. They range from "fairly objective but missing the point" throughout "easily refuted but stubbornly repeated" (statistically most common) all the way to insult grade "you know nothing about military, son". ;)

In case of A3 story front-line military of allied forces is utterly screwed up. Our main character will be on island with local resistance. The rules are surive or die. The difference between woman and man isn't so big if she/he is already aiming with AK-47 on you. It's not like there is time for building professional military from local resistance on Limnos. This was said many times in this thread. Some people (especially Dragonshot) obviously hate to read threads. Also woman can be same sick deadly monster as man.

Edited by batto

Um despite what you may think, I'm pretty sure you don't know the gender of every arma player, or what every woman's interests are. Show your statistics of arma's playerbase, and then talk to us about it. This comment only shows your ignorance. Not to mention if a guy wants to play as a woman, or a woman wants to play as a man, how is that any of your business? You're using a double standard, because if a woman is playing as a man (forced, in the situation of ARMA), I doubt you'd be calling them 'weirdo's'. It's a matter of preference, and variety and who are you to say no to people?

The group I play A2 with has two (2) female members, so any comment along the lines of "wymnz dont play arma 2 kitchen lol" don't really cut it.

On the topic of female soldiers:

Only in the offline. Because if it's in the online we know what will happen, everyone will be female and it won't be realistic anymore. Or they should have a limit on the female soldiers in multiplayer. In singleplayer with a mature handling of them I'm sure it'd be great.

Do you ever get tired of seeing all the old Takistani men that apparently enlisted in the US army? If you're basing your argument on that type of realism, then BI should remove the possibility of having a Takistani( and potentially Iranian) face if your on BluFor.

If this was reality ANA/P would be BLUFOR. Oh shit son, some of them look at like the taliban. SnafuAce, plausability.

If this was reality ANA/P would be BLUFOR. Oh shit son, some of them look at like the taliban. SnafuAce, plausability.

Oh my God, I never thought of that :butbut:Mind = blown.

I don't want to be sexist but upon further thought and playing of A2, I'm thinking that women should be maybe left as civies? I mean it's not that I want to disrespect female soldiers out there but...oh come on! Even Call of Duty hasn't had female soldiers.

Even Call of Duty hasn't had female soldiers.

Well... Modern Warfare 1 did have that ONE attack chopper pilot.

I don't want to be sexist but upon further thought and playing of A2, I'm thinking that women should be maybe left as civies? I mean it's not that I want to disrespect female soldiers out there but...oh come on! Even Call of Duty hasn't had female soldiers.

Since when has that been a good reason to do / not do anything?

Yeah sure I would like female characters. In Arma 2 we had different races to show that the USMC has both African-American and Caucasian service people so I don't see why we can't have a few female models to show that female service people do exist. Not like it would be very hard to do for the developers the only challenge would be having to get some female voice actors I guess and Arma is not really known for its voice acting anyway. ;)

All I know is that in Britian women are in the army but they cannot be frontline infantry troops...

However, this IS a game so why not add the option to be a female troop. I see no harm in it what so ever

Time to blow a hole in the argument about women serving in combat roles.

Perhaps not in the US, but since when was ArmA just about the US?

A video about the 707th White Tigers, South Korean Special Forces, training. Watch carefully and you may note that one platoon is not male. You had better know the folks in that unit well and use a respectful tone before using the nickname "Killer Barbie Dolls" in front of one of them.

And another with more emphasis on that platoon...

I remember those chicks from Mercenaries :D

Good times.