Sign in to follow this  
Dibuk

They better have female soldiers...

Would you like to see women in ArmA 3?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see women in ArmA 3?

• I would like to see female combat units for each/certain military faction(s)
    • I would prefer only civilian female characters, but with full combat animations/capability
    • I wouldn't mind seeing civilian female characters, but don't care/prefer if they are combat capable
    • I would prefer to see no female characters in ArmA 3 (downgrade from ArmA 2)

It would also hamper combat effectiveness if I were serving with an ex gf, with me constantly pushing her out from behind cover.

I don't have authority to access information on the exact roles of all participants in combat incidents. Here is a link to some reports -

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/CorporatePublications/PersonnelPublications/EqualityandDiversity/Gender/WomenInCombat.htm

Thanks man. :D

Are there any female-only units?

Thanks man. :D

Are there any female-only units?

Don't quote me on it, but I don't believe so.

You won't see children in a BIS game.

Imagine all the mothers and politicians that would swarm the BIS offices. It would be just what politicians need to distract people from the "Occupy" protests.

:P

Like the massive riots when Rainbow Six, Jagged Alliance 2, Fallout, Fallout 2 and Deus Ex were released?

Edited by Celery

Interesting fact - The UK Ministry of Defence conducted a review and found that male soldiers pay too much attention to wounded female soldiers, at a risk to their own lives.

I wonder if this is a flaw we formed over time or if it is "instinct".

[GR]Operative your view is an interesting one and I am curious to understand it better, why (and this is where I sound like a real asshole) is the life of a woman worth more than that of a man?

Edited by NodUnit

I wonder if this is a weakness we formed over time or if it is natural, if it is an instinct or simply a flaw in our humanity... it is amusing that we like to think of ourselves as being so superior in that we can control our emotions and instincts..yet put in the right situation we are no more in control of ourselves than the dogs we train to not take our food.

Protective instinct developed from boyhood, a primitive and powerful force. Men are wired differently to women, protective instinct lies at the core of our masculinity. I don't think defensive action is a flaw in our humanity, in fact I think it's one of mans finest qualities.

As with anything else it's all about viewpoint..I respect your opinion understand how it appears to be one of the..better traits. The reason I see it as a flaw is due to it more or less clouding judgement...allow me to give an example.

You are standing in your yard and heard the sound of metal grating against concrete, rushing you see fuel leaked across the road in the direction of two vehicles, one is upside down the other is not. Fuel has leaked from one car but the trail covers both, the driver in the nearest car is male, the other is female. A fire erupts, and within seconds it will quickly spread to both cars, you only have enough time to save one person.

Who do you save?

bahh!, this shouldn't be about judgement values such as wrong or right or how the selection process, or training of soldiers or some such matter leads male soldiers to ignore the basic priciples of safe effective triage.Bottom line in those situations is you need to prioritise your team assets. If you throw up stuations like 'you have 2 wounded unknowns, seperate gender, Who do you help?' It dosn't mater who you help if neither are on your team.

Its about keeping ArmA relevant to its existing players and ensuring its broad enough to attract more.

Is the lack of fighting females working for existing players? I'd say from the poll..not.

Would the inclusion of females help broaden the audience? Difficult to say, probably not in a direct manner. ie tons of female players, but maybe it will go some way to improving and ensuring the depth of storylines and scenarios. And I see no reason to not explore these ideas or ArmA will only be remembered as a bang simulator instead of being all that it should be

I'd rather they made more units or even better another faction, there's no burning need to add females accept maybe if BIS got nothing else better to do, doubt that.

And I see no reason to not explore these ideas or ArmA will only be remembered as a bang simulator instead of being all that it should be

VBS2 instructors see no practical use in female soldier models, for simulation purposes they are unnecessary. I'd wager that most people in favor of female soldier models want them for the fun factor, it would make the game more enjoyable for them. That's a fair enough reason and I certainly won't complain if BIS do decide to include female soldiers if most people want them, but from a simulation standpoint they aren't required.

IMO, You, don't pick who to save. You just save them. Period! No ands, ifs or buts about it. It doesn't matter who you save, its about how much.

I'm talking about how the presence of a woman in a dangerous situation impairs the decision capability of a man. A common man will try everything possible to save her, what could compromise his team in a combat situation.

I'm not conjecturing, this has been asked to male soldiers and they answered accordingly.

Edited by [GR]Operative

I certainly won't complain if BIS do decide to include female soldiers if most people want them, but from a simulation standpoint they aren't required.

Wrong. I keep trying to simulate a Chernarussian Bonnie & Clyde and it never works properly.

(Gotta have something new on all those "life" servers ya know. lol) :p

Operative;2049432']I'm talking about how the presence of a woman in a dangerous situation impairs the decision capability of a man. A common man will try everything possible to save her' date=' what could compromise his team in a combat situation.

[b']I'm not conjecturing, this has been asked to male soldiers and they answered accordingly.[/b]

And you've asked here on the internet and people answered with a different answer. :rolleyes:

And let's say that if your just that one person standing there trying to choose who to save. Like I said, I doesn't matter. I don't care if you go to help the female solider first, But you better not forget about the male that is also sitting there in pain. And I'm going to also go ahead and say that, I think who ever asked that question is an idiot. Even if you where in that situation. When people are injured, you should never ask "who should I save" as if you where only able to save one person.

If your by yourself, save as much as you can.... If your with someone, Ask for there help in trying to save them all.

Also,

Since you where saying that letting a women die is "Immoral" Let me ask you this question, "How is it every single time people try to play the "Immoral" card, they seem to forget the fact that men dieing is immoral as well"?

[/color]

True, but ArmA is a game. VBS2 is the simulator many ArmA owners wish they had.

From what I've heard, VBS is basically ArmA+instructor/learning tools, without campaign and with more equipment. It's more training oriented and has a grenade system that's actually useful. IIRC, Other than that, it plays a lot like ArmA (I've also seen that graphics are somewhat inferior, but not by much).

But I might be wrong, I never actually played it.

Protective instinct developed from boyhood, a primitive and powerful force. Men are wired differently to women, protective instinct lies at the core of our masculinity.

Indeed, this is an instinct that predates human sentience, but it (like many other instincts) may be harmful to a soldier. A well trained soldier should never act on such natural instincts. Part of why strict discipline and boot camp training are needed is to overcome some basic, natural instincts (killing is wrong, run/freeze/attack responses, etc.). If UK soldiers pay too much attention to their female squadmates, then their training needs improvement (which is why I think that this feature could be useful for VBS, if soldiers will fight long enough with females on both sides, they'll stop noticing them). Even on the paramilitary camp I was on we were told that it "there's no gender in military" (I had a bit of a hard time adjusting to it due my rather refined manners). A soldier is a soldier, no matter if male or female. The only thing that matters is rank.

Edited by Dragon01

Operative;2049432']I'm talking about how the presence of a woman in a dangerous situation impairs the decision capability of a man. A common man will try everything possible to save her' date=' what could compromise his team in a combat situation.

I'm not conjecturing, this has been asked to male soldiers and they answered accordingly.[/quote']

Still, Its not a valid reason to not include female shooters and I think its irrelevant to the topic. If your that hung up about it, simulate it by running out into the open every time you see a women go down.

And you've asked here on the internet and people answered with a different answer. :rolleyes:

Arma is about real military situations in fictional scenarios.

And let's say that if your just that one person standing there trying to choose who to save. Like I said, I doesn't matter. I don't care if you go to help the female solider first, But you better not forget about the male that is also sitting there in pain. And I'm going to also go ahead and say that, I think who ever asked that question is an idiot. Even if you where in that situation. When people are injured, you should never ask "who should I save" as if you where only able to save one person.

My scenario takes place in a combat situation. If you pick any, you must know it may be the last chance you have to do so. So, the one you left get in a higher risk situation just because you left him/her there.

If your by yourself, save as much as you can.... If your with someone, Ask for there help in trying to save them all.

Also,

Since you where saying that letting a women die is "Immoral" Let me ask you this question, "How is it every single time people try to play the "Immoral" card, they seem to forget the fact that men dieing is immoral as well"?

Of course it is immoral, but it weights much more in a men mind to let a woman die. Just see the repercussion of women and men deaths. If 100 hundred war prisoners are tortured in some combat zone, it's just another war fact for most people, but if there were 1 woman in the group the whole situation changes.

~~~~~~~

The whole "it's just a game" argument doesn't count either.

Edited by [GR]Operative

Operative;2049548']Arma is about real military situations in fictional scenarios........

Well I supose living in universe where the ability to pull a trigger is based on gender, is fictional, yes.

And of course the 'its just a game' argument counts, because that is in fact what it is. The only conjecture would be the weight that it provides to the argument. If you know what that is.

Operative;2049548']Arma is about real military situations in fictional scenarios.

Well guess what ArmA 3 is about.. The same thing but in the future' date=' A time where anything can change. :rolleyes:

Operative;2049548']

My scenario takes place in a combat situation. If you pick any, you must know it may be the last chance you have to do so. So, the one you left get in a higher risk situation just because you left him/her there.

Call for backup, and help him/her out then. Problem solved

Operative;2049548']

Of course it is immoral' date=' but it weights much more in a men mind to let a woman die. [/quote']

Okay then, Quit saying "women dieing in combat" or something along those lines, is "Immoral". Because what happens in war is Immoral itself...

Operative;2049548']

If 100 hundred war prisoners are tortured in some combat zone' date=' it's just another war fact for most people, but if there were 1 woman in the group the whole situation changes.[/quote']

How exactly does that change whole situation? Because in my book, that's still just another human dead.

But in case you are forgetting. Here goes another war fact most people should know.

People will die... Period.

Operative;2049548']

It does in this discussion' date=' that's why this topic was created. [b']Over a Game[/b], If anything, what happens in real life shouldn't matter.

And of course the 'its just a game' argument counts, because that is in fact what it is. The only conjecture would be the weight that it provides to the argument. If you know what that is.

You understood what I said and everyone also did. Stop flame baiting please.

--------------------

Well guess what ArmA 3 is about.. The same thing but in the future, A time where anything can change. :rolleyes:

Most thing really change, but the human moral commonly does not. People are sensitive about violence against woman and have been for some time.

Call for backup, and help him/her out then. Problem solved:

Call for backup, takes him/her out of vehicle. Vehicle explodes. The one left dies.

Okay then, Quit saying "women dieing in combat" or something along those lines, is "Immoral". Because what happens in war is Immoral itself...

Tell this and...

How exactly does that change whole situation? Because in my book, that's still just another human dead.

...this to every man out there, please also the media.

But in case you are forgetting. Here goes another war fact most people should know.

People will die... Period.

But we do everything we can to prevent a woman death. Period.

Edited by [GR]Operative

I think this could attract some feminist/conservative author that doesn't know the first thing about gaming.

First, they'd get all righteously furious at BIS for making a game that allows women to wage war. Then they'd be upset because you can kill women. After that, they'd get upset if people tried their hardest to prevent woman deaths because it would upset the "gender equality of nature blah-debla" :rolleyes:

The optimum course would be to save development time and time that would ordinarily be wasted on defending themselves from crazed feminists by not doing anything about the women. At all.