Sign in to follow this  
Dibuk

They better have female soldiers...

Would you like to see women in ArmA 3?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see women in ArmA 3?

• I would like to see female combat units for each/certain military faction(s)
    • I would prefer only civilian female characters, but with full combat animations/capability
    • I wouldn't mind seeing civilian female characters, but don't care/prefer if they are combat capable
    • I would prefer to see no female characters in ArmA 3 (downgrade from ArmA 2)

BIS produces excellent animations, and the ones for the women in ArmA 2 are great; just limited. They do use mocap for all of their anims, so I don't know how it can get any more realistic.

I think your complaints are more related to how the engine implements the animations, and it seems BIS is improving this in ArmA 3.

As BIS so ably prove Motion Capture is not some silver bullet that solves all ails. Arma2 can blend animation, supports multiple animations (or weapon types), supports inverse kinematics, and so on.

Yet Arma2 invariably demonstrates inaccurate, cumbersome, and often plain wrong animations. (cue pistol animations) Whats the excuse?

My point is that I'd rather have unique animations for handling Russian, Bullpup, classic M16 layout, and generic machinegun weapon animations before custom fitted female ones.

-k

You obviously have no idea what the term "Frontline" means. These are not pictures of front line combat zones. These are pictures of female service members in second/third line occupations. I mean really, people, its not this mythical debate that's answer is hidden by the government. Google it, in most modern militaries (Including the one that matters, the US) women CANNOT serve in combat occupations.

Maybe wrong to call it frontline but in atleast the last pic they are out on patrol and facing the locals.

In pic nr 1/2 they have weapons and I think they must have combat capabilitys to be able to be in Afghanistan.

To get on topic for me, as I said before I dont care if there are female soldiers or not, I only hope that the animations for all soldiers are good.

Edited by paecmaker

Well with all the new stuff present I don't think anyone can really hold up the argument of "women aren't allowed on the front-line", I'm all for it.

IIRC the Israeli Defence Forces are sending women on front line duties. I think it is the only army doing this. There were women on the front in the second lebanon war and some even died.

Besides, there are many guerilla movements with womens in it.

I would like female soldiers.

You obviously have no idea what the term "Frontline" means. These are not pictures of front line combat zones. These are pictures of female service members in second/third line occupations. I mean really, people, its not this mythical debate that's answer is hidden by the government. Google it, in most modern militaries (Including the one that matters, the US) women CANNOT serve in combat occupations.

Kind of irrelevant to many modern warfare situations wich have non existant or very blurred front lines. You could use google just as effectively to find many accounts of women IN action. The definition of combat occupations doesn't exclude other occupations being involved in combat. The bottom line for me is that the current limitations of felmale models is just plain dumb.

Yet Arma2 invariably demonstrates inaccurate, cumbersome, and often plain wrong animations. (cue pistol animations) Whats the excuse?

I don't know which you are talking about. They all seem fine to me.

My point is that I'd rather have unique animations for handling Russian, Bullpup, classic M16 layout, and generic machinegun weapon animations before custom fitted female ones.

How does that make BIS bad at animating? It just means they have limited resources. And it's not like they haven't been making an effort, since weapons in ArmA 2 can have more unique animations.

Will you act like a girl when playing as one? I don't know if ARMA3 also joining the factor of "Role Playing" into military simulation, especially in gender/race method. But I must admit, all we care is the people really can take a situation of killing or getting killed, no matter what you really are.

Like a lot of people say that female soldiers are "tomboys". But think again, wasn't they also really suffering fear of the war, just like every men in the battlefield?

here's a tip why BIS don't add any female unit as soldier, the IDF used female into their frontline ( a long time ago ), but when they get hit or killed, this situation has given pschycologic problem to most of the MALE unit.

that's why when you see a female soldier, it's always a pilot, an engineer or a medic and NEVER a frontline soldier.

Occupation/Support troops are not frontline troops, period.

The point stands. The women in the US military may face combat, but they are not eligible to be picked for combat missions.

Also, there are major complaints and concerns of the male soldiers in countries that allow women in combat roles.

There are of course highly trained women out there (PRC and Israel come to mind), but the fact is that the bulk of the armed forces worldwide is composed mostly of men.

Operative;1944771']Occupation/Support troops are not frontline troops' date=' period.

The point stands. The women in the US military may face combat, but they are not eligible to be picked for combat missions.

Also, there are major complaints and concerns of the male soldiers in countries that allow women in combat roles.

There are of course highly trained women out there (PRC and Israel come to mind), but the fact is that the bulk of the armed forces worldwide is composed mostly of men.[/quote']

Touche.

I was somehow mixed up the role of the battlefield, sometimes not exactly to sort out what combat, support, command... ect are all about. Hope that ARMA3 really matters on these roles as well, so we can talk if gender matters.

How does that make BIS bad at animating? It just means they have limited resources. And it's not like they haven't been making an effort, since weapons in ArmA 2 can have more unique animations.

Can have, but does not. Seriously. Arma2 came out in what? 2009? Half-Life had separate animations for every weapon in what 98-99?

Like I said. Motion capture or not is IRRELEVANT. If the animations fail to appear authentic, immersive, and offer smooth gameplay in the game engine its all for naught.

Poor animations?

- Try jogging with a sidearm.

- Try crouch moving with a LMG of any type.

- Try throwing a bloody grenade.

- Crouch with binocular, then go prone.

etc

Animations ought to form an integral part of the gameplay. Its not about AK type weapons having a different reloading cycle (though they should) Its about LMGs being weightier than assault rifles. Its about being able to clear rooms. Its about not getting stuck in odd animation chains. etc etc

-k

A good animation system is one that the player doesn't even notice, because it flows naturally. Arma2 does not have such a system by any stretch of the imagination. Hopefully the "revamped animation system" in Arma3 will finally fix that.

Isn't this straying from the topic a little? Or a lot?

Isn't this straying from the topic a little? Or a lot?

This thread strayed from its original topic dozens of pages ago.

Just having females in combat just to thrill the dudes posing as females really isn't a profitable idea for BIS.

IIRC the Israeli Defence Forces are sending women on front line duties. I think it is the only army doing this. There were women on the front in the second lebanon war and some even died.

Besides, there are many guerilla movements with womens in it.

I would like female soldiers.

The Norwegian army have female soldiers in the army, among storm troopers, among standard infantry, the second battalion, the engineers and so forth. For us, it would be unthinkable to deny women the ability to join the army, but it's only men who can be "forced" to serve.

She's an A10 pilot... her only purpose is to serve in combat...

don't believe everything written on the box, that's a general rule...

Depends on the country you life in.

In Germany the industry is bound by law to keep the promises that are written in adverts or standing on the box.

Retailers and other sellers are bound by law to sell products without flaws and and and other lunatic and very wonderful things that make the life as costumers easy.

But looking outside the borders only shows how medieval the world is ;-)

You get screed where ever possible. :D

In the United States Army, females are allowed to serve in Military Police units even in combat zone.