Sign in to follow this  
armanut

Akward/weird movements in Arma 2

Ok lets start again.

I just feel that this game has alot of potential but atleast for me the movements in this game ruin it for me. It feels like your almost galloping around like a horse, Not only that but the movement of the soldier feels out of place. I think it needs to be more fluid, Sure its a simulator, But Its still a game. It would be great if the movements where smoother it would feel alot nicer. I feel that Arma 1 movements where better, It just seems so clunky in arma 2.

But turning down the smoothing in options helps alot. I just hope Arma 3 improve on this and it doesnt feel so awkward to move around in the game environment. I think if they made it feel better it would be alot more fun. Not going as far as feeling like your gliding like in Bad company 2 , but even close to it just makes everything more fun. Its fun when you can just swing your gun around and shoot someone, Im sure you can do it in real life, why is it so hard to do on arma 2?

Thats my thoughts anyway.

Edited by armanut

A "revamped animation system" is on the features list for Arma3, so hopefully your wish will come true. Clunky animations have gotten me killed more than enough times in Arma2.

if you thread gets locked, it will stay locked

if you thread gets locked, it will stay locked

Ok whatever. Stick to the topic at hand please.

I agree armanut, let's hope it gets improved.

It feels like your almost galloping around like a horse, Not only that but the movement of the soldier feels out of place. I think it needs to be more fluid, Sure its a simulator, But Its still a game. It would be great if the movements where smoother it would feel alot nicer. I feel that Arma 1 movements where better, It just seems so clunky in arma 2.

I'm not all that phased by the current quirks in movement, but I agree improvements can always be made, and the suggestion that animations are being revamped is a ++ in my books.

I gotta agree with the clunky movements, it's why I consider arma a vehicle warfare game. But we won't know how much has improved until E3 it seems since they did not release any gameplay footage when they announced it.

The movement feels ALOT better in ArmA2 hopefully we'll get movement like the original Ghost Recon which was fantastic that once you went prone you moved at the hips!

In Australian: once you started planking you moved at the hips instead of your whole body moving!

In Australian: once you started planking you moved at the hips instead of your whole body moving!

Thanks for the translation :D

Movement is OK, try to be smoother with 30kg on you back and 5kg replica of m4 in your hands as an airsofter.

I don't have to beg or ask BIS I know that, that they never do casual shit from this game like Ghost blabla or other CODs, BF's ect.

Movement is OK, try to be smoother with 30kg on you back and 5kg replica of m4 in your hands as an airsofter.

I don't have to beg or ask BIS I know that, that they never do casual shit from this game like Ghost blabla or other CODs, BF's ect.

You goto draw the line between realism and fun. You cant spin around and shoot someone its awkward as hell. You can easily spin around and shoot someone in real life. So why cant you do it in the game? I wouldnt even call it a simulator, Theres to many dodge things that are unrealistic, Look at how the AI snap you a mile away with a iron sight AK. They have gone all out added everything massive maps,tanks ,planes,helicopters, They need to confine it and balance it right. Its pretty unbalance atleast I think. You take a tank and can mow down infantry and then somehow the first shot of an RPG slams your tank.

Most of these insurgents cant even shoot, Look at how they jump out and spray from the hip and hit nothing. Yet in the game they are deadly accurate. They need to tweak the AI so they are more realistic so you can actualy have a firefight. What about the close quarter combat? Trying to move around in houses just seems clumsy, considering theres not even AI in buildings is unrealistic.

Despite all the weight your brain can still order your limbs in nanoseconds. In ARMA 2 I often get the feeling that I'm controlling seriously handicapped person whose limbs and mind are constantly lagging behind. For instance I can't stop any actions like getting over obstacles, I get stuck into doorways, I can't move precisely even without any gear, I'm clumsy with a pistol etc.

And how would improving the current movement system make the game somehow casual and bring it to COD level? BIS indeed has a vision of realistic player movement but their execution is flawed in so many ways that I too think this area of the series should be drastically improved.

Yes hoping the revamped animations clear that cow-like movement right up.

Movement is OK, try to be smoother with 30kg on you back and 5kg replica of m4 in your hands as an airsofter..

He's talking about clunky movement because of the animations.

Weight has nothing to do with it.

Something I figured out in Arma 2, In the game options turn head bob right down. And no longer does it feel like your watching through a camera strapped to someones head bopping up and down.

I would say that the major problem is at the transition between animations, where it give you a shuttering feeling, also some age old bug like what happen when you change stance with your binocular up, very annoying.

And do I mention that all handgun related animation are simply rubbish? Like what I did in almost every single animation related thread?:p

posted this a couple of weeks ago:CIT (before a3 announcement I might add)

Uninterruptible stance changes is, I think, the most common issue with controls in arma2.

But I got a txt file full of problems with controls in arma that I always thought to post, but never did.

for fun here's some of the bullet points:

Things that freezes you:

- Switching weapons/binoculars including terrible forced switches with some controls

- Raising weapon

- Reloading while prone

- First aid, medic module and dragging/carrying

- Falling down (but probably just needs a proper animation)

- alternating strafe keys stops you momentarily..

Then there are other issues like:

- Low movement precision.

- Moving with other than primary weapon results in inconsistent mobility and much lower movement precision. Unarmed included.

- Moving on irregular surfaces like rocks or inside houses can result in series of issues like forced standing up, and is generally jittery.

- Toggle sprint can't be brought straight to a run

- swimming is just clunky.

- Can't lower secondary weapons

- Forced stance changes with raising weapon from crouched and prone.

- Sprint doesn't cancel leaning

and much more.

Anyway.. Unclunkifying the controls is a big hope of mine. Fluent, predictable and logical controls are key to fun gameplay.

... I can't stop any actions like getting over obstacles, I get stuck into doorways, I can't move precisely even without any gear, I'm clumsy with a pistol etc.

dude, just stop with the donuts then.

but seriously now, the only time i notice movement really suffer is when the system needs a refresh. i think its pretty responsive as it is really.