Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

They can do whatever they want with smoke, so long as the damned AI can't see through it.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but the crosshair will move indicating terrain or something is in the way of the muzzle.

Where did you see this?

you can see this in lots of videos if you pay attention, basically crosshair will move a bit when the character is very close to some object etc

This is correct, and not surprising considering the stated intent of the crosshair to serve more of an indicator of general muzzle direction than what it did in previous games where the crosshair could be more precise than aiming down sights (due to the old crosshair basically being pixel precise), as well as giving a "if you shoot from this angle will you just hit the cover or will it shoot past the cover as you intended" indication.

I may have to recheck, but I'm pretty sure for the night scenes that the crosshair agreed 100% with the laser.

Thanks. Have missed that video :) As for crosshair, definitely a move in the right direction. Not sure if its inaccurate enough, but my idea was always this:

1) Rectangular position of tickmarks rather than diamond/square.

2) Ticks at NW, SW, NE, and SE, which are drawn as perfectly 45° angles.

3) Size of rectangle based not only on movement, but also on weapon class - an SMG would seem more accurate "from the hip" compared to a sniper rifle or medium machinegun.

1 & 2 combined makes it much harder to interpolate where the actual center is.

3 makes use of a damn M107 as a CQB cannon less attractive.

And naturally (as now) TrackIR people still get an indication on what they're pointing at while not engaged.

Is the HDR confirmed to not blind you through hills anymore? In dayz since I play in the evenings it sucks as the sun is in the horizon and it magically blinds you through the hills.

^ Not sure if it´ll blind you through the hills, I`m gessing it won´t as the complete lighting has been overhauled pretty decently in order to make such problem dissapear (it should work as the new NVG does, having a wider variety of light values to soften the transitions effects) . What the new HDR does, is making a lightly bloomy outerline around the unit. You can see it in almost all videos when facing a dark area. I have seen this effect in a large variety of games and aslong it isn´t very pronounced, it should be good. Please feel free to correct me if I´m wrong, but don´t be too hard on me :p

Also, could some dev inform us about the death-ragdoll effects when a unit is in a gunner position? Will it fall simply to the ground as standard ragdoll or will the animation play out after the unit is "kicked" from the gunner position?

Yeah i would like to know if there is actually an animation for dying in a gunner position :P Would be nice to have something better than just being moved out of the vehicle. And also, has the games release date been moved to 2013?

I hope there's no ragdoll for vehicle gunners, unless it's an exposed technical where the corpse can fall out.

You can't expect basic ragdoll to properly simulate the behavior of a body bouncing around in a car seat, and it's just going to look goofy and slowly clip through interior objects while consuming system resources.

Hey up chaps,

I've tried elsewhere in these forums to ask for a clarification that ARMA3 will fully support modding/asset creation etc, but it got closed by a mod for various reasons- fair enough.

I had already searched where he suggested and did not find any answers- and still have not.

Please could someone point me in a direction where I could find comprehensive details about the moddable prospects for ARMA3, and if there's guidelines (ARMA3 WIKI?) etc for detailed things like doorway sizes/terrain texture resolution per meter squared/how to create terrain (Same as ARMA2 terrain creation, or could use Geocontrol maybe?) kind of thing..?

I'm seriously thinking about creating an island complete with assets/buildings and would really like some knowledge base to draw upon before I go off and model/texture in the wrong direction. I want to optimise my island to the highest possible degree for ARMA 3 and not miss a trick!

I'm sorry if I'm missing a thread I should've seen, but for the life of me I really cannot find the relevant ref/info.

Thank you for your time,

Marc

There's no real info yet on the moddibility of ArmA3 other than it will be able to be modded. Well probably know much more once the community alpha rolls around.

I hope there's no ragdoll for vehicle gunners, unless it's an exposed technical where the corpse can fall out.

You can't expect basic ragdoll to properly simulate the behavior of a body bouncing around in a car seat, and it's just going to look goofy and slowly clip through interior objects while consuming system resources.

We've seen any vehicle with gunners so far? Everything I saw was with somekind of CROW system, except for that combat boat in the early videos.

Anxious to see animations for static weapons and so.

...has the games release date been moved to 2013?

Yes it will be released in 2013 (hopefully 1Q)

The community alpha should be available later this year though.

Please could someone point me in a direction where I could find comprehensive details about the moddable prospects for ARMA3, and if there's guidelines (ARMA3 WIKI?) etc for detailed things like doorway sizes/terrain texture resolution per meter squared/how to create terrain (Same as ARMA2 terrain creation, or could use Geocontrol maybe?) kind of thing..?
Unfortunately I haven't seen anything on terrain making in ARMA 3, though of course the community may reasonably expect that ARMA 3 won't buck the tradition of allowing it; the only specifics I've seen on modding are how to set up custom weapon attachments (mentioned in the "reusable weapon attachments for modders?" thread).

Cheers guys- appreciated.

Aye, I've seen some ref to creating your own missions or customizing weapons etc, but nothing of any content in regards to creating islands/buildings/assets.

It'd be great to know more, as I'm sure the poly counts/texture resolutions are hopefully going to be higher in general.

Anyway, thanks again chaps- I'll wait until the Alpha comes out to see if they release any info.

Marc

I recall that months back on IRC, Dwarden mentioned that the weapons themselves aren't modular, nothing like Ghost Recon: Future Soldier where you can change the fire selector, the gas system, barrel length and so on, so the situation's like COD/BF3 in that the individual weapons themselves are not customizable (so it seems that differing barrel lengths will be treated as separate weapons just like in ARMA 2), and you're just applying up to three attachments: optic, muzzle and alongside the barrel, probably basically these... the fourth slot in the inventory screen's weapons section is for the magazine.

Note that it seems that the underbarrel (whether the weapon model has a foregrip, underbarrel grenade launcher, or underbarrel shotgun) is NOT treated as a slot -- so somewhat like ARMA 2, yet not like ARMA 2. :) i.e. OA's "Mk16 CQC Holo" and "Mk16 EGLM RCO", in ARMA 3 terms the Holo and RCO sights would now be attachments, but you'd have three different weapons: Mk 16, Mk 16 EGLM (underbarrel grenade launcher) and Mk 16 CQC (shorter barrel and overall length than the other two).

As for creating custom attachments:

You take your bare weapon model, fit it with appropriate proxies in O2, define which accessories are allowed for it in config, and you're good to go.

Anyone notice that the Iranians' gear look pretty much the same as current Israeli gear? The tank, apc, and the standard infantry rifle looks pretty much the same. Seeing how they're enemies I don't think that's very appropriate.

Maybe in the alternate timeline of ARMA 3 Iran and Israel will be maybe even... *GASP* allies? I'm sure this would cause some bitter tears of controversy in Israeli and Iranian players though so It's not given that this is what BIS has done with the story.

question to devs, just to clear something out:

will be there complex "expert" flight model from take on helicopters or not? atleast in settings

question to devs, just to clear something out:

will be there complex "expert" flight model from take on helicopters or not? atleast in settings

From the first page of the thread:

The ToH flight model will be the default flight model for all the helicopters and will be used in the SP campaign as well.

well, it doesn't really answer the question. there are 2 models: arcadish and full. and i'm interested if full model will be implemented in arma 3 since i fucking enjoy it and i would love to set full flight model in difficulty settings.

well, it doesn't really answer the question. there are 2 models: arcadish and full. and i'm interested if full model will be implemented in arma 3 since i fucking enjoy it and i would love to set full flight model in difficulty settings.

It could be difficulty-dependent, I don't know how it's done in ToH, though. For multiplayer, you'd have server-side settings, so if this expert model already exists, I see no reason not to port it to ArmA III.