Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

The 3D editor would do far more for making ArmA3 a "AAA title" then having all the fingers in the right places. Than again, even old ArmA itself is a better sim than any FTP game I've ever seen, though I sense that I play ArmA far differently than you do if you're even concerned with comparing it to a FPS Shooter.

BF2 is a game and not a simulator but some features like animations, tank recoil and dust effects are still better than arma 2 IMHO

look this video from alpha project for bf2 by jones

kfTS1qFyglQ

Edited by Zukov

Seems like that those features are mutually exclusive huh?

Animations in general, physic\ragdoll and better gameplay (read: "flow" of the game an UI) shouldn't be marketed as "new features"; thats just BIS catching up with industry standards. Welcome to the old-new-gen! About time I may add....

3D editor\editor features aren't a must but would greatly improve the life of mission makers and probably instigate new people to give it a try. You can do all that already, but have you tried to make a simple defensive position? Good luck with setpost\getpos\preview\repeat or writing a briefing.. simple tasks, huge amount of time wasted there.

Sometimes I feel like asking for too much, afterall ARMA series is unique in many aspects, has a huge scope and delivers in many ways (and fails in others). But when you see things that were in the "community wishlist" for the past 10 years and haven't been done yet, it get tiresome. Especially now that BIS have more employees and (probably) more money than ever before...

I think that BI should rather postpone Arma3 one more half year and take time to add the 3D editor (and whatever else they could then have time to finalize). Arma2+OA has a lot of stuff still to spend time on, and the A3 Alpha feedback cycle could run for months to stabilize the A3 engine.

like smurf said. The 2D Editor is ok gor simple scenarios but it is simply tiresome if you try to make proper defensive positions.

The 2D Editor is ok gor simple scenarios but it is simply tiresome if you try to make proper defensive positions.

x2

Sometimes I like placing units with static weapons inside doorways or garages and it can be downright infuriating adjusting it into precisely the right position.

x2

Sometimes I like placing units with static weapons inside doorways or garages and it can be downright infuriating adjusting it into precisely the right position.

Well, it's usually easy using buildingpos

i still prefer good animations for each handheld weapon than a 3d editor, a good vanilla game than a mod tools,

Hardly the same person working on both, BIS is not one man sat in a shed.

I don't understand anyone who comes out with similar comments, the days of one or two guys sat at home making a game are long gone for the most part and people have their own individual jobs within the industry now.

You getting better animations deos not effect me getting a 3D editor and vice versa.

If there will be no 3D editor in A3 at all, I will be really disappointed :(

Well, it's usually easy using buildingpos

Thanks for your help ProfTournesol but unfortunately buildingpos doesn't always work, often fine adjustements are required to give a unit the required field of view, for example in Zargabad map I sometimes place HMG's inside buildings where they can shoot out through a window.

Seems like that those features are mutually exclusive huh?

Animations in general, physic\ragdoll and better gameplay (read: "flow" of the game an UI) shouldn't be marketed as "new features"; thats just BIS catching up with industry standards. Welcome to the old-new-gen! About time I may add....

3D editor\editor features aren't a must but would greatly improve the life of mission makers and probably instigate new people to give it a try. You can do all that already, but have you tried to make a simple defensive position? Good luck with setpost\getpos\preview\repeat or writing a briefing.. simple tasks, huge amount of time wasted there.

Sometimes I feel like asking for too much, afterall ARMA series is unique in many aspects, has a huge scope and delivers in many ways (and fails in others). But when you see things that were in the "community wishlist" for the past 10 years and haven't been done yet, it get tiresome. Especially now that BIS have more employees and (probably) more money than ever before...

I would sign that statement anytime ... there is still hope.

I still don't understand why the 3D editor can't be implemented post-release and HAS to be at launch. It's not like we don't already have at least one editor.

@BIS Post release would be fine if this means one or two months after Release. We don't reaally need a full 3D Editor. Something based on the hidden Editor in A2 that allows us to place objects and units would be enough if it allows us to migrate that data to the 2D Editor (and vice versa) where we can set up Waypoints, triggers and modules.

I would be totally ok with such an approach.

I don't remember seeing anything about a much needed new sound engine, am I wrong ?

There are indeed some nice changes but not many people noted it as this is only interesting for a few people, I suppose.

The changes include new sophisticated filtering methods, stereo sounds for first person samples, a much higher sample limit and reading that the sound team "recorded different samples of weapons according to different situations" suggests there might be a system for environmental dependancy (indoor/outdoor). So I would say these aren't revolutionary changes, as comparable to e.g. the rendering or physics engine but they certainly open up a lot more possibilities! :)

Tough rest assured I will ask a lot of questions from this department during gamescom to see what I might be working with! ;)

There are indeed some nice changes but not many people noted it as this is only interesting for a few people, I suppose.

The changes include new sophisticated filtering methods, stereo sounds for first person samples, a much higher sample limit and reading that the sound team "recorded different samples of weapons according to different situations" suggests there might be a system for environmental dependancy (indoor/outdoor). So I would say these aren't revolutionary changes, as comparable to e.g. the rendering or physics engine but they certainly open up a lot more possibilities! :)

Tough rest assured I will ask a lot of questions from this department during gamescom to see what I might be working with! ;)

Thank you

No 3D editor, like what? Going to hazard a guess and say it's a ploy to keep the VBS feature set a step above A3, a bit annoying, but we'll survive as long they keep the community solution pipe open.

What realy pissed me off even more than the 3d editor:

Q: Will the AI no longer be able to see through grass, and how will the grass be displayed in multiplayer?

Dan: Unfortunately, there's no progress on this. Staying the same so far.

Because we all want it fixed.

Q: Can the player steal the uniforms of other dead players in multiplayer?

Dan: We decided to limit this only to uniforms affiliated with a player's side. Although we were considering allowing the player to don any uniform at the start of development, it appeared that such generality would bring some very complex issues with AI and multiplayer rules. Also, it is against the Geneva Convention.

Because they showed it in thier vid and it was COOOOOL! So no-more dreams of sneaky pete stealth missions folks. If their thinking is truly being defined by the Geneva Convention then this GAME is likely to be as dry and boring as a military manual and I wouldn't expect some of the other wished for improvements such as gun totting women.

No 3d-editor....It really was one of the major things I was looking forward to in A3. The eye candy is nice ,but I would rather see a working 3d editor.

Nomad

No 3d-editor....It really was one of the major things I was looking forward to in A3. The eye candy is nice ,but I would rather see a working 3d editor.

Nomad

So we'll have two mediocre editors instead of 1 good one that doesn't require alt-tabbing every 2 seconds to change a script... yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

reading that the sound team "recorded different samples of weapons according to different situations" suggests there might be a system for environmental dependancy (indoor/outdoor)

Where is that sentence from? If I recall correctly, the new features regarding weapon sounds are "just" the stereo support and different sounds based on distance.

Edited by tpM
grammar

I try to find it for you tpM :)

I found it :) The information was from the "Gamestar" Arma 3 interview with Dan.

The original quote is:

Dan Musil: Wir wissen, dass der Sound in Arma 2 nicht perfekt war. Deswegen haben wir viel Arbeit in alle Schritte der Sound-Produktion investiert: dem Equipment für die Aufnahme, dem Bearbeiten der Samples, der Unterstützung für Stereo-Sounds, Filter und mehrfach aufgenommenen Samples je nachdem, was die Spielsituation erfordert.

Which translates to:

We know that the sound in Arma 2 wasn't perfect. That's why we invested a lot of work in all stages of the sound production: equipment for the recordings, editing of samples, support of stereo-sounds, filters and multiple recorded samples according to what the game situation requires

It could also mean that there are just multiple samples for the same weapon but this basic feature would by no means have to adapt to the requirements of the game situation (such as indoor/outdoor since dynamic filters take care of distance and the underwater environment)

Tough that's just a conclusion on my behalf :)

Edited by PurePassion

Thanks, thats interesting. I'm curious how it will turn out. :)

There will be no underground features in A3 despite what that article with Rocket said. This has been confirmed by Dwarden on Skype in the Arma Think Tank channel.

There will be no underground features in A3 despite what that article with Rocket said. This has been confirmed by Dwarden on Skype in the Arma Think Tank channel.

Next news´ll be theres no physx despite it being announced ._: