Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

That is not correct, in a real time environment like a game (or 3d viewports in a 3d render program) , the polys are drawn with the GPU (DirectX, OGL). When you render a scene with a 3d program (3dMax, Maya) etc.., you'll be using the CPU. And tesselation is not taking stress from the CPU, but it's a way to make meshes more smooth (means more polys on screen) and that is also done by the GPU.

That is not correct either.

While basically true for rendering, this is not the case with games (and to a degree it isn't the case with renderers either).

Fact is that a lot of things come to depend on polygons ultimately: collisions, damage, physics, lighting, etc.

Although the final render may be offloaded to the gpu together with tessellation (the benefits of which are easily seen with the unigine heaven benchmark that is freely downloadable) lots of calculations must be performed in advance by the CPU.

For example rotations, distances, visibility. The so called scene-setting is always a strictly CPU affair.With recent CUDA/DirectCompute techniques the CPU may be able to use the gpu to perform the calculations, but the laying out of the problem to be solved will always be the CPU burden.

Swiped on my Optimus2X with Tapas

Good idea, though I doubt that such a feature will be included in Arma 3 by BiS themselves, it's more like a modders concern. In the ideal situation such interface details as ammocounter, for example, should be available only if player is wearing an advanced "future warrior"-type suit, in which weapon, armor/suit and a wearer himself are combined into single information system through variety of sensors (and, of course, such a soldier should be linked with other soldiers wearing similar suits from his unit, knowing their locations, health status etc., but it's not the case of the subject). If you are wearing standard, "dumb" fatigue then sorry, no ammocounter, just a number of magazines left. Something like this, basically.

I hope that they at least have thought about it. I think that little touch would add a lot to the feeling "I should where a helmet", usually I'm not that worried about to be shot in the head. I would just die anyway. :)

That is not correct either.

While basically true for rendering, this is not the case with games (and to a degree it isn't the case with renderers either).

Fact is that a lot of things come to depend on polygons ultimately: collisions, damage, physics, lighting, etc.

Although the final render may be offloaded to the gpu together with tessellation (the benefits of which are easily seen with the unigine heaven benchmark that is freely downloadable) lots of calculations must be performed in advance by the CPU.

For example rotations, distances, visibility. The so called scene-setting is always a strictly CPU affair.With recent CUDA/DirectCompute techniques the CPU may be able to use the gpu to perform the calculations, but the laying out of the problem to be solved will always be the CPU burden.

Swiped on my Optimus2X with Tapas

I was referring to someone who said that more polys meant more stress on the CPU, which simply isn't true.

In my 20 years of doing 3D it has always been the case that if you want a faster render , you're gonna need a better CPU.

Faster viewport response (more polys to work with fully textured etc..) you're gonna want a better GPU.

When it comes to collision, physics etc.. that has been traditionally done by the CPU, it's only since the last years we have things like CUDA to take the load of the CPU. The heaven benchmark you mentioned it a DirectX 11 benchmark. so it will be heavy GPU based (I just watched it , and theres not much going on, just a high poly scene with a simple motion path and some shaders, no collision/physics).

I'm longing for the day when we can do these FX in realtime

but i'm afraid it's gonna take at least 20 years to get there (These pre-calculations can take many hours/weeks/months before you can actually start the final render) :D

When it comes to Arma i can only look at the GPU , which is at a constant maxed out state, and the CPU hardly doing anything (i7 920@3.5Ghz), to know that you better have a beast of a GPU prepared for Arma 3 :D

Arma 3 gameplay: So many Questions and no answer yet..

I dont feel it is the right place for my questions, but as a modo closed the thread and told me to check it here, ill just do that.

IN ARMA 3:

1/ Is there a proper animation for going on a ladder?

2/ Can we change weapon while walking?

3/ Can we toss a nade while walking?

4/ Is there a new/better nade aiming system?

5/ Can we turn around in a doorway?

6/ Can we use stairs safely?

7/ Can we run indoors without taking the risk of going through the walls? (it happens from time to time)

8/ Is AI capable of fighting indoor?

9/ Is "Close Quarter Combat" global design being looked at ? (partly answered with smookie being hired by Bis)

There you go.

Feel free to answer my questions, to add your own, to ignore the whole post and go play dayz.

Bye.

From http://www.egmnow.com/8bitenvy/e3-impressions-arma-3-gotta-pull-yourself-up-by-the-bootstraps-bootstraps/ :

He explained further that, yeah, all the soldiers are there with your standard gun and your handgun, both of which you can clearly see placed properly on their bodies.

(...) to see that reflected on what you see before you in third-person or on your teammate, was a wonderful thing.

(...)This is reflected from head to toe, and not in a purely aesthetic surface level way, it’s because everything on their body can be removed and moved around for their use only.

Was that ever confirmed? Just a case of modelled weapon into char = pistol he's carrying? Gonna check some E3s again...

_______

From OP:

Grenade launcher zeroing works like in real life.

What you mean by that? A system like RO (most noticiable in RO1, with the panzerfaust)?

What you mean by that? A system like RO (most noticiable in RO1, with the panzerfaust)?

The angle you look at the weapon and its sights actually changes according to your zeroing setting. :)

"And when you shoot a surface swimmer, you can see their blood soak the water they’re in, just like in Jaws" - from article link posted by aintoineflemming in the latest ARMA3 press coverage thread.

http://www.egmnow.com/8bitenvy/e3-impressions-arma-3-gotta-pull-yourself-up-by-the-bootstraps-bootstraps/

Wouldn't it be cool if your in a boat and you see a recon diver under the water so you spray the position with gunfire and blood rises to the surface.

You should be able to like, thumbs up or recommend comments here...

Yes. Also, new (apparently) AAA vehicles:

arma3_e3_20124-590x331.jpg

Might just be the standard OPFOR APC with a new turret, which cool, even cooler if it's modular.

Edited by OnlyRazor

Yep, the Evan Lahti interviews are probably the best and most inside ones on A3 so far...

Some highlights:

• We have sufficient amounts of terrain resolution to have some bumps in the otherwise flat terrain, so… I wonder how, for example, tank fights will proceed in these areas, because even those reeds, they’re a visual barrier
  • And the landscape structure, with the irrigation around the villages, it’s a fairly big maze surrounded by shrubs and trees and orchards
  • The range for engagements will dramatically increase on open land and dramatically decrease in the urban areas
  • The AI guys were actually setting up, using the terrain, setting up fire positions that made sense, and then concentrating fire. It was just awesome
  • Rockets have got new blast-back, so they’re not just this sort of square bright thing. They light up the ground with this similar sort of real flash of light
  • Some of the muzzle flash suppressors are going to become a really important part of Arma
  • I’ve mentioned to our lead programmer, just some classified information, we’d like to expand the Chernarus theme in the Arma 3 engine, partly because of Dean’s zombies, partly because it’s a good map and we know it
  • I’m also trying to push all those environment-related things like underground structures, bridges, better handling of water
  • Buchta: I’m going to spend the next four weeks in Chernarus. Partly in the virtual one, partly in the real one. We just decided to address some obvious issues which are related to the environment, to provide Dean with a better maps.

Edited by fraczek

The irrigation ditches around villages will be perfect for CCB, I better start practicing throwing grenades.

A3 Cherno...

Time for another upgrade.

Cherno in A3? I like it.

It would be great but I am seeing this more like for a big improvement of Cherno for the next patch of A2.

It would be great but I am seeing this more like for a big improvement of Cherno for the next patch of A2.

"we’d like to expand the Chernarus theme in the Arma 3 engine"

My english isnt so good, but this sentence seems to mean more a port for A3 than some fixes for A2 :confused:.

Cherno in A3? I like it.

I missed that. Cherno in ArmA3 would be complete perfection. Night battles in the forests would be epic.

"we’d like to expand the Chernarus theme in the Arma 3 engine"

My english isnt so good, but this sentence seems to mean more a port for A3 than some fixes for A2 :confused:.

Nah, hes speaking of the last quoted phrase:

I’m going to spend the next four weeks in Chernarus. Partly in the virtual one, partly in the real one. We just decided to address some obvious issues which are related to the environment, to provide Dean with a better maps.

It might be for A2 or they're fixing it for A3. Anyway it is good news, Cherno is a great map.

Hopefully all of the buildings will be enterable? :pray:

Or terrain resolution will change, since they mentioned buying data. Speculating.

Italian food really loosened the lips.

Yeah that would be so awesome.

Italian food really loosened the lips.

Finally a weakness has been found, this must be exploited. In future all interviews must be held at the finest Italian restaurants.

italy-food.jpg

that looks delicious! awesome picture. Garlic - hmmmmm :) I love

anyway - regarding terrain resolution - thats sound interesting - what could that mean?

regarding terrain resolution - thats sound interesting - what could that mean?

The terrain texture resolution will be roughly four times more detailed with a smaller cell size. That means it's more like Proving Grounds in terms of ditches etc. All in all it will be much more detailed and varied :)

funny thing, they said more interesting stuff than stuff that was presented on E3. (maybe because they showed everything right before E3)

Enhanced Chernarus in A3? Cool. I thought they said that maps are not compatible? Strange.

Isn't Limnos with Proving Grounds cell size insane? How much cell size various islands have, is there some table lying around?

Its fascinating how they immediately plan and incorporate stuff thanks to DayZ.

i didnt know proving grounds was special - had to actually play in editor. and yes it feels more natural and all that.. not like a plane surface!

but what does the term cell size mean?