Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

Not really enough room for them, though Limnos would be the best map so far for it. I'm sure someone will port a mod or make a new one. I expect subs too, I wonder how deep the water gets far from the coast.

inb4 Cthulhu mod

which has, in the end, the same result.

Unless you are able to change that turret mid-game, i really really see no difference for the end user.

I think the main benefit is that it can probably make it easier for modders to implement new addons for vehicles (eg new turret or armor system) without forcing them to recreate the whole vehicle for every possible combination. Then when you place the vehicle in the editor you don't have to scroll through all the hundred different versions of the vehicle with the different addon combinations. So in other words, it can make things much more efficient for modders and mission designers.

That is something i totally agree with you on. I know that the weapon is using a proxy system, which would mean (in theory anyways) i could create a scope pack, and use that with all the weapons in the game (or with the ones i define). No more re-creating the weapon from scratch just to have x or y attachment, or having 200mb + of p3ds in all combination possible.

Even if for vehicles things like that are of lower interest, it might help on the long run (for instance making all my weapon pylons animated proxies for my upcoming chopper).

i could create a scope pack, and use that with all the weapons in the game (or with the ones i define). No more re-creating the weapon from scratch just to have x or y attachment, or having 200mb + of p3ds in all combination possible.

Exactly! I bet it would lead to far more mods, as there would be far less dull and repetitive work involved.

Exactly! I bet it would lead to far more mods, as there would be far less dull and repetitive work involved.

Would that work with aircraft too like custom loadouts?Or are we (I :) talking about something entirely different?

Also the weapon list will be much more smaller, making it easir and faster to choose a weapon.

While we are at customization, this single line may sugest that flash supressors will also be a part of the weapon costumization?

Now I’m thinking more about changing position after I’ve discharged a sniper rifle, or the advantage of using a flash suppressor.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/14/interview-bohemia-talk-arma-3-modding-day-z/#more-111863

Hope so...

Please, tell me there won't be the warfare mod in the SP missions or in the campaign!

it may be a good idea in MP, but I DO think it DOES suck in SP experience.

any informations about it?

thanks

In one of the E3 videos one of the devs mentioned they're experimenting with tesselation. This would be another great way to increase both performance and visual quality, as it lets the CPU handle only a relatively low-poly mesh and then add most of the fine detail via GPU.

Tesselation eh? Sounds intriguing. Arma2 already have great models, but the more polygons the better.

i am pretty sure the post was about terrain tessellation only :)

i am pretty sure the post was about terrain tessellation only :)

Which would be welcomed as well. Micro terrain FTW! :)

Which would be welcomed as well. Micro terrain FTW! :)

Yep. I loved the "micro" terrain in good old OFP (on Very High), although that one was how, proceduraly generated?

Tesselation eh? Sounds intriguing. Arma2 already have great models, but the more polygons the better.

I m really failing to understand THIS 'common sense'.

Simple math:

More detailed objects=>less objects (in scene)=>totally unrealistic environment for performance reasons.

I would rather have OFP 'quality' for objects/buildings/soldiers..than having 'tiny villages' presented as 'Cities'

and annoying lag when large number of units are present in same area. (>>polycount)

Common logic..

I m really failing to understand THIS 'common sense'.

Simple math:

More detailed objects=>less objects (in scene)=>totally unrealistic environment for performance reasons.

I would rather have OFP 'quality' for objects/buildings/soldiers..than having 'tiny villages' presented as 'Cities'

and annoying lag when large number of units are present in same area. (>>polycount)

Common logic..

Usually more polygons means more stress on the CPU, but tesselation gives relief to the CPU by letting the GPU add more detail. As a bonus it does very smooth LOD transitions. So don't worry; It may in fact IMPROVE performance on your system by lessening the CPU bottleneck, while at the same time making things prettier.

Well, I think you can add underground structures to the list, unless it's misquoted or theoretically speaking. Can a dev confirm this?

I am really hoping that this is a implemented feature. I have been asking for this since the beginning of time. I already have an entire map writeup just waiting for feature to go live. Guess I need to bush up on my mod skills for when Arma3 gets released.

I wrote his on an other tread:

When I play ARMA, I only use HUD the first time I play through the main campaign, after that I always (want to) play multiplay without any HUD, because I feel it's much more realistic. But now with ARMA 3, this has not to be true, because it is a sci-fi, so my question is, Will it be optional to put HUD on only then you are equipped with a HUD-friendly helmet? Which is pretty much every helmet in the game that I have understood? If so, that is good! I just not want to be able to see HUD on my server then I run around as a civilian. No cyborg for me! :cool:

What do you think about this? Would you like to force HUD only to a certain sort of helmets or headgear?

I didn't see this on the first page.

Can we finally tell the ai in a plane or helicopter to land?

And tell the helicopter ai where to land?

It would be really nice to see this basic feature in arma3.

Usually more polygons means more stress on the CPU, but tesselation gives relief to the CPU by letting the GPU add more detail. As a bonus it does very smooth LOD transitions. So don't worry; It may in fact IMPROVE performance on your system by lessening the CPU bottleneck, while at the same time making things prettier.

That is not correct, in a real time environment like a game (or 3d viewports in a 3d render program) , the polys are drawn with the GPU (DirectX, OGL). When you render a scene with a 3d program (3dMax, Maya) etc.., you'll be using the CPU. And tesselation is not taking stress from the CPU, but it's a way to make meshes more smooth (means more polys on screen) and that is also done by the GPU.

What do you think about this?

Good idea, though I doubt that such a feature will be included in Arma 3 by BiS themselves, it's more like a modders concern. In the ideal situation such interface details as ammocounter, for example, should be available only if player is wearing an advanced "future warrior"-type suit, in which weapon, armor/suit and a wearer himself are combined into single information system through variety of sensors (and, of course, such a soldier should be linked with other soldiers wearing similar suits from his unit, knowing their locations, health status etc., but it's not the case of the subject). If you are wearing standard, "dumb" fatigue then sorry, no ammocounter, just a number of magazines left. Something like this, basically.

That is not correct, in a real time environment like a game (or 3d viewports in a 3d render program) , the polys are drawn with the GPU (DirectX, OGL). When you render a scene with a 3d program (3dMax, Maya) etc.., you'll be using the CPU. And tesselation is not taking stress from the CPU, but it's a way to make meshes more smooth (means more polys on screen) and that is also done by the GPU.

Can someone confirm this with a source? I think I've heard in a tech demo that the CPU has to regularily process and pass info about polys to the GPU and that hence it can become a bottleneck in high poly scenes, whereas tessellation allows more polys to be added to an existing mesh on the GPU without needing to "bother" the CPU much. I'm not exactly an expert on the topic though, so I may have completely misinterpreted everything. :p

Can someone confirm this with a source? I think I've heard in a tech demo that the CPU has to regularily process and pass info about polys to the GPU and that hence it can become a bottleneck in high poly scenes, whereas tessellation allows more polys to be added to an existing mesh on the GPU without needing to "bother" the CPU much. I'm not exactly an expert on the topic though, so I may have completely misinterpreted everything. :p

this?

"In games with large, open environments you have probably noticed distant objects often pop in and out of existence. This is due to the game engine switching between different levels of detail, or LOD, to keep the geometric workload in check. Up until this point, there has been no easy way to vary the level of detail continuously since it would require keeping many versions of the same model or environment. Dynamic tessellation solves this problem by varying the level of detail on the fly. For example, when a distant building first comes into view, it may be rendered with only ten triangles. As you move closer, its prominent features emerge and extra triangles are used to outline details such as its window and roof. When you finally reach the door, a thousand triangles are devoted to rendering the antique brass handle alone, where each groove is carved out meticulously with displacement mapping. With dynamic tessellation, object popping is eliminated, and game environments can scale to near limitless geometric detail."

---------- Post added at 01:19 ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 ----------

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tessellation.html