Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

Since when all soldiers will get the latest hi-tech lightweight (full) body protection for free? Soldiers don't wear body protection 24/7. Sorry, but there is a difference between Hollywood/casual games and reality....

All general infantry in the US going into combat roles will be issued with full body armour. They will obviously only wear it when out of protection of their base or when under attack, but in most cases when you come up against an armed soldier, he will always be wearing armour. Almost all frontline troops from the majority of NATO (UK, Canada, Aus, NZ) also wear full body armour. Even China is adopting level III grade body armour for many of its frontline troops, and by the 2030's we may actually see the majority of chinese soldiers also better protected. Russians are also issued armour.

I know in Russia the uniform and equipment policies aren't as strict as in the US, and I have heard soldiers can buy additional equipment/accesories/body armour to compliment their standard issue equipment.

In most cases, the only place you will see NATO general infantry fighting without body armour is in hollywood/casual games trying to look badass ;)

Rye: Got carried away talking about the possibilites of body armour and multiple variations of ammunition when backing up that body armour can indeed stop multiple bullets.

Edited by Tom1

I don't mind the idea of armour blocking multiple shots as long as it is portrayed in a realistic way.

I really hate games that simple reduce damage based on armour. Ie. he got shot, he has armour though so he only takes 20% of thge damage he would have taken. I would prefer actually pentration and deflection based on distance, the round used(and its armour piercing capability) shot placement, and a small random factor just to spice things up.

Ontop of that there should be some negative effects when hit in the armour. Some representation of pain or shock that may not be permanent, but clearly lets the player know he was shot but saved by his armour. Ie. dropping to the ground, temporarily blurred vision from pain, dropping weapon, writhing in pain for a few seconds etc. these kind of things actually should also apply to normal wounds as well.

And of course with the improved fatigue system I really hope that armour plays a role in making you tire quicker and therefore slow quicker.

I agree with everything you just said. Makes sense. I would add only 1 thing, that your capable to put on or take off your body armor.

Doubt you'll have to worry about that. its possible to switch uniforms with an enemy in game so I imagine its possible to take off your body armour as well.

Doubt you'll have to worry about that. its possible to switch uniforms with an enemy in game so I imagine its possible to take off your body armour as well.

Yes, it will depend on the type of vest you will be wearing.

Yes, it will depend on the type of vest you will be wearing.

Oh so the uniform and the armour would basically be one and the same thing? I guess that would make sense.

I wonder if OPFOR vests will outperform BLUFOR vests or vice-versa.

Judging by the uniform of the Iranians so far I would say that they are most likely going to have better body armour. They look far more advanced than the blufor.

Edited by -Coulum-

No, I don't think so, because of the Armor/Helmet/Attachments pic. I think anybody could wear any faction's vest or camo. You could have all civie clothing + US combat vest + Iran Helmet.

Oh so the uniform and the armour would basically be one and the same thing? I guess that would make sense.

Judging by the uniform of the Iranians so far I would say that they are most likely going to have better body armour. They look far more advanced than the blufor.

The vest is a separate piece of equipment. It can range from a tactical bandolier to the full load bearing vest. Depending on what type you wear, you will be able to carry more gear as well as have different levels of protection ( according to BI)

Speaking of which, we barely saw something about OPFOR so far....

All we've seen from OPFOR is a basic LBV.

---------- Post added at 12:09 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

Btw was it just in my mind or did the ground shake in the lightning video when the stryker started shooting?

It did indeed shake. But that wasn't a Stryker. That was a Fennek.

All we've seen from OPFOR is a basic LBV.

Yeah I guess your right. For some reason I got the feeling that Opfor would have the upperhand in technology this time, and thus would have better body armour. But really we haven't seen enough of them to know that.

Btw was it just in my mind or did the ground shake in the lightning video when the stryker started shooting?

Yep it definitely does. wonder if that was just for the presentation to emphasize the sounds or if its attached to all heavy weapons. what purpose could it have in game?

It purpose would be added realisme I guess. Same as the ace 2 sounds affecting your hearing unless you used earplugs.

Is shaky vision when near 50 .cal realistic? I can understand ace deafness, but shaky camera doesn't seem like realism. but maybe the vibrations in the ground are large enough... I wouldn't know, never fired of something that big.

Is shaky vision when near 50 .cal realistic? I can understand ace deafness, but shaky camera doesn't seem like realism. but maybe the vibrations in the ground are large enough... I wouldn't know, never fired of something that big.

Well, in that part, pretty sure the player is firing the .50 cal, but in third person. So, that would explain why the cam is shaky.

Features such as the head bob and camera shake while near tanks, explosions, and machine guns aren't meant for realism. It is for immersion purposes. Because they can't recreate the real-life effects, they must be supplemented with other effects.

In racing games, because you can't "feel" a collision, it is supplemented with audio and vibration effects in controllers. Tires squealing represent tires loosing traction. There is a video out there somewhere of an interview with a developer of a racing game explaining why they must do some things "unrealistically".

The concussion from a weapon firing can make your head rattle depending on the circumstances. I've read cases of people with the SA-58 OSW (DSA's 11inch barreled FAL) buying suppressors to not just lower the very loud (and still loud) bang the weapon produces, but also the impulse felt from it. Some compensators can disturb people next to the shooter because the impulse is directed to the sides of the muzzle. I have no doubts a .50 cal can do the same, but whether or not the shaking simulated in the game is realistic or an exaggeration I cannot say. That kind of input is needed from those who have actually been next to one.

Personally I liked the shaking. It doesn't look like it'd be too annoying to really affect what ever you might be doing and in a way will make you seem like you're feeling the gun firing in game combined with the nice sounds (or even nicer sounds when the sound mods come out).

The concussion from a weapon firing can make your head rattle depending on the circumstances. I've read cases of people with the SA-58 OSW (DSA's 11inch barreled FAL) buying suppressors to not just lower the very loud (and still loud) bang the weapon produces, but also the impulse felt from it. Some compensators can disturb people next to the shooter because the impulse is directed to the sides of the muzzle. I have no doubts a .50 cal can do the same, but whether or not the shaking simulated in the game is realistic or an exaggeration I cannot say. That kind of input is needed from those who have actually been next to one.

Interesting. I'm cool with it then. As Nicholas pointed out it also adds immersion as well so it is a welcome feature.

We will almost certainly be able to co-ordinate take-downs of the crew of small boats by shooting just above the surface if we want ,by controlling the buoyancy of the diver.

Muzzle blast can. The M107, .50, videos on youtube have shown a sniper putting a mother can next to the muzzle. Firing, and it completely explodes. That's why some spotters are further back, towards midline of their sniper.

which means that GPU acceleration for the physics is definitely optional.

I hope it is optional, and not forced on the CPU. My GPU is probably more than powerful enough for the graphics, and it would be nice to be able to put the spare cycles to use on the physics, giving the CPU some relief.

I know in Russia the uniform and equipment policies aren't as strict as in the US, and I have heard soldiers can buy additional equipment/accesories/body armour to compliment their standard issue equipment.

No, they can not. In the Armed Forces of the RF only members of the special forces can use non-issued uniforms and/or equipment, up to issued equipment of other countries. There is only one official pattern in which all uniforms and equipment are made, but the overalls (such as "Gorkas" or camouflage cloaks) can be in different patterns indeed, but even they, or, more accurately, their replacements from 2012 experimental uniform are made in Unified Masking Pattern. Likewise, there is only one armour type permissible for the Ground Forces.

It's a slow sunday, so here is a mystery - if it's not already discovered and solved.

This is from the latest

video.

MysteryPlane.jpg

00:22 a bobble appear on the top-left corner of the video, indicating there is a vehicle/object outside your field of view.

00:23 the UFO (not the alien kind).

Enjoy :D

EDIT: Ah, I think I know what it is.

EDIT#2: Misreading of the timestamp by the VLC media player (I hate when that happens). It's closer to 00:35 and 00:37.

Edited by colossus