Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

Is it that hard to read what I wrote? I will disable these features, but it's still wasted development time that could have been used to improve some other feature of the game.

I'd hate to see another great game series (like for instance Silent Hunter and Rainbow Six) be destroyed because the developers make the mistake of making the game "more accessible" (read: more arcade features), just to try to attract the twitchy CoD crowd. You can not make a game that will attract both players that are interrested in a realistic simulation and a 14 year old looking for a mindless action game. You'll end up losing both groups. Arma can not compete with Battlefield or Call of Duty, and should not attempt to do that.

As virtually the only modern realistic infantry game, realism should be the main focus of Arma, as that is what sets it apart from the hundreds of mainstream shooters out there. If not, why don't we all just pick up a copy of Battlefield 3? It has better graphics after all.

Amen, really surprising we are in the minority here- but then again it isn't. Oh well- Bis hasn't failed me yet... It just sucks that we lose the amount of addons/modders with every new game VS the previous ones in the series. (And that I suck hardcore at making addons my self ;) )

Edited by Sniper Pilot
I suck at spelling too - I really just suck at life! :D

It just sucks that we lose the amount of addons/modders with every new game VS the previous ones in the series.

well obviously i misunderstood this ^^ but the bob marley stays! :p

Edited by PurePassion

wowowow hold on a second. BIS just said they want the game more understandable and will not remove any feature. I think some people here just really need to listen to some bob marley and just wait to see what the team pulls off and then make those wise statements.

He's not talking about BIS, he's talking about the community. How every new game we seem to loose big names in the modding community.

If A3 ends up noob friendly enough to attracted the 10-16 crowd others might not think it's worth modding anymore, especially if the community ends up with a bunch of BFoons and CoDBlOpers who want rocking jumping, bunny hopping leaderboard addOns instead of addOns that are useful and add more realistic features. :eek:

ahh yes, i see! Well sadly, this is true. But what i think is even more sad, is that we already have this type of discussion whereas the game isnt even in Alpha stage.

aint you guys with the 1000+ posts are actualy good at playing arma?

do you realy need those helpers to come along in this game?

just think back to old OFP days, did you ever felt the need for colored circles to highlight your enemy or even direction indicators wich show the direction you get fire from?

those helpers belong to the very lowest difficulty setting and be disabled for veteran (god damned this mode is called VETERAN!).

they are helpful for new players, no doubt, but so many players use it even if they have the skill to not use it, just because it makes life easier.

if you actualy had to select the noob mode to have these features, iam sure you will think twice.

because thats what it is - features for new players.

(iam talking about fire direction indicator, crosshair, 3rd person, enemy indicator, map markers)

If you directed this partially at me, then I'll reply by saying that I mostly play with none of those features, for the reasons you mentioned. However, I'd advocate the retention of them, again for the reasons you mentioned.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

He's not talking about BIS, he's talking about the community. How every new game we seem to loose big names in the modding community.

In the past, a lot of high profile people/groups ended up working for BIA :) (as far as I've heard anyway... ;))

And I still think that these options don´t just belong to the lowest difficulty setting, but to every setting as an option.

What? Then what would be the points of having several difficulty categories in the first place? Have you even seen how little flexibility you get in Expert mode? :)

Ehm, by that I mean the incoming shot indicator. Not the stance and health GUI which doesn't add any advantage if used.

Now, if 3rd person mode and crosshairs was decently implemented, I wouldn't have a problem with them being available also on Veteran, but they aren't:

3rd person: Only available if you're commanding AI.

Crosshairs: User can decide to remove even if on (even gui to set color/alpha would help). Make them impossible for "hip shooting/sniping accuracies", maybe size of crosshair is determined by weapons dexterity value, something like this maybe:

Heaviest sniper weapon:
\                                                 /

/                                                 \

Mp5:
      \     /

/     \
Now we have this:
        |.|

You still get an interaction cursor, but sniping accuracies are removed, and more so for the less dexterious weapons.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Fun fact: systems that detect gunfire and report the direction are pretty much standard feature on all vehicles in Afghanistan. They are very common and I think it's a matter of years and not even decades before they are miniaturized and placed on individual soldiers.

Fun fact #2: They are already being issued to individual soldiers :p

US Army's newest addition to the wargadget arsenal. The Individual Gunshot Detector, produced by QinetiQ, is an acoustic monitor attuned to tracking down the source of gunshots just by their sound. It has four sensors to pick up the noise of incoming fire, and its analysis of those sound waves produces a readout on a small display that lets the soldier know where the deadly projectiles originated from. The entire system weighs just under two pounds, and while it may not be much help in an actual firefight -- there's no way to distinguish between friendly and hostile fire -- we imagine it'll be a pretty handy tool to have if assaulted by well hidden enemies. 13,000 IGD units are being shipped out to Afghanistan later this month, with a view to deploying 1,500 each month going forward and an ultimate ambition of networking their data so that when one soldier's detector picks up a gunfire source, his nearby colleagues can be informed as well.

(http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/17/us-army-to-deploy-individual-gunshot-detector-essentially-a-rad/)

Again, the biggest issue for me is how servers dictate my settings to be easier than I want. I want to be able to change mid game. If server allows crosshairs, I want to be able to remove them while infantry, and enable them while side gunning a BMP3. I'd also want difficulty settings to become a lot more nuanced than simple on/off switches (where applicable). Like "crosshair": Infantry, sniping, throwing, lockable, vehicles, or "AI control method": both, map, 3rd person, none, which btw should only be there when you have AI in your squad. So if you make some kind of RTS system where 3rd person is unavoidable, you'd have to setup mission centric difficulty settings to match that, without affecting how an AI-less coop is setup.

That would indeed be the optimal setup...but i guess harder to achieve than current system

I know I'm speculating all over the place, but to me, the allowed freedom is a big pain.

So the freedom should work in certain areas of BIS SDK games, but not in others?

And for the love of God, please stop using that "OPTION to DISABLE it" argument. Unless you run your own server, there is no such thing as disabling it.

Well...i do run "my own" (read clan's) server...

aint you guys with the 1000+ posts are actualy good at playing arma?

do you realy need those helpers to come along in this game?

Who said i need helpers? been playing BIS games since OFP demo, played a lot of time back in the day both in leagues and coop games. But that is besides the point. The fact that i understand that for attracting more ppl (read customers + Bis = bussines = more money), BIS needs to put some time in both learning curve level (tuts, etc) and helpers for the newcomers. What is wrong with having it as an OPTION is besides my understanding....

But then again it is the same "realism" or "simulation" that is brought up as reasons, especially when it has nothing to do with it either.

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

If you directed this partially at me, then I'll reply by saying that I mostly play with none of those features, for the reasons you mentioned. However, I'd advocate the retention of them, again for the reasons you mentioned.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

In the past, a lot of high profile people/groups ended up working for BIA :) (as far as I've heard anyway... ;))

That still stands: In the present, a lot of ppl are being hired (permanently or as contributor) from this community by either BIS or BIA. Even A2/OA is proof of that.

Edited by PuFu

Fun fact #2: They are already being issued to individual soldiers :p

(http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/17/us-army-to-deploy-individual-gunshot-detector-essentially-a-rad/)

Huh, okay. That's news to me that they have become that small already. Okay then, I have no objections anymore on having them in the game (see, I can do 180°s too :D), but I think it's GUI should be connected to carrying the actual item. Just as carrying a map or compass gives you additional GUI abilities.

That way it becomes mission centric depending on what the unit carries, rather than server centric where you carry them in a WWII mission for a server that is setup for missions that normally does the modern thing.

i was kinda drunk yesterday when i posted here, normaly i dont feel that upset by those helpers - arma is just a game, my favorite game but its just a game.

i will just accept that i can not play arma on public servers anymore, even if its the only game i ever wanted to play online :(

and NO, i dont want to join clans or buy a own server, but fortunately i can play the game as i wish in singleplayer or LAN (yes mates here your "option to disable it" argument realy works!) and the awesome editor will be implemented too.

my 2 player lan sessions will still be with highest difficulty settings; even my mate who is playing the series only scince arma2 had never used that stuff too. for him the main attraction was the fact that he got killed all the time without seeing anything and was actualy challenged to master the game ... unfortunatelly not many players want to be challenged by a game nowadays.

selfish as iam, i cant see anything good in attracting those COD kids with these features. arma calls itself a simulation and should get deeper and more complex with every sequel, not "more accessable" ... ... "more accessable" was the sentence of death to all my favorite games (elder scrolls, deus ex, thief, gothic)).

Edited by PeterBitt

No hard feelings mate :) I get rather defensive of stuff sometimes. I also don't play on public servers, but for different reasons. I just don't enjoy the dissociation of playing against/with less logical AI :D

To sum some things up:

• Hands are moving on the steering wheel
  • different muzzle flash samples
  • Grenade launcher zeroing works like in real life
  • Nikos is a smuggler
  • Honda Insight inspired civilian car
    more to come ;)

To sum some things up:

• different muzzle flash samples
  • Grenade launcher zeroing works like in real life
  • Nikos is a smuggler
  • Honda Insight inspired civilian car
    more to come ;)

Extreme boner for the bolded.

Finally :rolleyes:

I updated the list with what PP said.

BTW I will be away for the weekend and I wont be able to update the list.

finally moving hands in vehicle, now I just hope the reload animation is good to(and the rest:p)

'T-100K' is in the game

You can see them in TotalBiscuit's video at the artillery chapter. When tanks get destroyed you get a "T-100K is history" message.

'T-100K' is in the game

You can see them in TotalBiscuit's video at the artillery chapter. When tanks get destroyed you get a "T-100K is history" message.

Yep, saw the same.

The ragdoll off the roof was amazing. :D

I'm really interested about MP synchronization, specifically of the ragdolls and clouds. I guess the clouds should be the easier one (a few parameters & seed from server + procedural generation on the clients), but as Mr. Walker has pointed out about a million times on these forums, synching of ragdoll is not a trivial task. I'd like to know how they're doing it. :)

(Hopefully the answer isn't "not at all".)

[*]Grenade launcher zeroing works like in real life

Awesome! Thanks BIS! :bounce3:

Hi all, i'm new in this forum.

I have one questione about this video from Gamescom, i presume.

There are any info regard a PC configuration of this conference?

I know, in the 1° post there are the Minimum [?] System Requirements......but any information regard this isn't bad i think.. :o

Sorry for my bad english. Go bohemian anyway, i love all of your games.

Edited by TheTrain

I'm really interested about MP synchronization, specifically of the ragdolls and clouds. I guess the clouds should be the easier one (a few parameters & seed from server + procedural generation on the clients), but as Mr. Walker has pointed out about a million times on these forums, synching of ragdoll is not a trivial task. I'd like to know how they're doing it. :)

(Hopefully the answer isn't "not at all".)

My best guess would be torso-only sync. Given that PhysX (or whatever) will act very closely between clients for a given initial condition, the resting positions for torsos would need only minimal updating at rest. The limbs etc - unimportant.

But maybe there's no MP ragdoll at all? Have to wait & see :) but I'd be happy with SP ragdoll.

List updated:

Added the TB video.

Added custom reload animations to the list.

Added hopper mines, trip wire and directional claymores to the list.