Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

PurePassion, from which background were you able to see the BI guys and the game?

I mean - I thought that their bunker is not open for public?

Anyway - I'm looking forward to read your presentation!! :)

Edited by Undeceived

PurePassion, from which background were you able to see the BI guys and the game?

I mean - I thought that their bunker is not open for public?

Anyway - I'm looking forward to read your presentation!! :)

He said he got a business pass several pages ago. Maybe he is a retailer :cool:

It might sound unlikely, but i was actually invited by pettka :)

He arranged everything for me

NICE!! :) :)

Great, pettka! :)

So it was a date? :eek:

:rolleyes:

Great, pettka! :)

It really was! For me, he is more than just an outstanding game developper doing a great job, but also a very awesome person i like talking to. :)

not in this way of course! :D

Edited by PurePassion

10) Possible enhanced HUD to indicate injuries and such: "We need to resort to auxiliary system to simulate what is lacking in comparison to the possibilities of perception of a soldier in the field."

Great news. I think it's ridiculous not knowing if you're hurt if you're in a vehicle/static, and/or someone near you are also in pain when non bloody models are used - there is no way of telling if you're hurt in some situations. It should indicate stance too (but less important).

How should this be implemented? I know many don't like huds for being intrusive wrt immersion, so how about on demand while holding space bar? For space bar information, there must also be difficulty setting to enable or disable:

* Friendly unit recognition.

* Enemy unit recognition.

* Magic distance indicator. (I hate this one).

The two first can be used in coop games where you don't have any AI control and don't control own human players using builtin interface. That way, we only get the (now) inoperative command bar and the hud-on-demand.

I can't imagine hud-on-demand being a realism issue, but feel free to argue. Any comments?

Wow. Just, wow. Over at Bethesda, they only seem to care about the press, and their release date is much much closer. Awesome stuff.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Quiick HUD appear when wou are injured\change stance. Press\hold buton and wait some seconds without moving\beign shoot at to see complete HUD (health, ammo, heading...?). Like: 1 and then 2.

Ammo count shouldn´t be displayed, instead something like RO\ACE (Heavy, Medium, Light, Very Light)

I think one solution to hud might be to show your own unit info, now also to indicate injury position and stance.

For a squad leader, this better indicates how combat effective an AI is given the situation (as you can't "ask" reliably):

* Can he shoot well (red hands).

* Is he capable of evading (red legs).

* Cross to indicate he is in agony or bleeding out (incapazitized?)

* Stance (giving order takes too long if we don't have to, and we can't ask).

For a non squad leader:

* You can easily tell your "squad member number". Some play without captions, some command using builtin command style (rather than verbal, in a public coop setting), and now he'll know he's being addressed when getting an order.

This icon for a non squad leader would be at the lower left, even if he is number 9 in a squad, to not interfere with other addons (like sthud), but even if he is number 9, he could give himself orders using F1 (for consistency, but may have drawbacks in a HC'ish subordinate setting), so as to easily change his own "chat style" (normal/stealth).

Is that approach better than a separate GUI element?

Background/border color could indicate AIs ammo status. From green (plenty), yellow (half), orange (running out) and red (out), and could for non squad leader player be used as indication instead of "bullet count" while operating as infantry. Connected to "space bar", it is up to player when he wants to check his own status.

That being said, "magic bullet counts" may not be too far from the truth in a futuristic setting.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Not be nit-picky, Carl, but green/yellow/red/black are actually the colors we use in an ACE report (Ammo, Casualties, Equipment). I just think this would add a tiny little touch of immersion, especially when controlling AI or when reporting your team's status to your squad/platoon leader in multiplayer. Everything else sounds pretty much on point to me.

Edited by bradp191

That being said, "magic bullet counts" may not be too far from the truth in a futuristic setting.

Yeah, I could see some kind of ammo counter on the side of a futuristic assault rifle or machinegun. Probably would not be super difficult to implement, even.

well, atm it is...and i don't think BI will take it all that far anyhow

Circled the XM-25 in the first picture i found it in.

217 kb image removed

Edited by W0lle

might want to remove this picture quickly ;) 100 kb is the limit and everyone knew already about the xm-25

Edited by PurePassion

how much people will say about that xm25 - xm25 was confirmed by Dev long time before the pics with it

Hopefully BIS will add some scripted system into it - if not BIS , community will do

BIS like blowing shit up with megahuge weapons, pretty sure they'll make it work.

In the Gamestar interview Ivan says there will be "incoming bullet" indicators like in CoD

What?

I hope they are only for Recruit difficulty

I hope this useless feature will be dropped, along with the crosshairs. A game like Arma shouldn't have these kinds of arcade game features, even if it's just on the lower difficulty levels.

Also, as someone pointed out, the magic bullet counter needs to be replaced with something like what you see in ACE and Red Orchestra.

Edited by Johan S

I hope this useless feature will be dropped, along with the crosshairs. A game like Arma shouldn't have these kinds of arcade game features, even if it's just on the lower difficulty levels.

Also, as someone pointed out, the magic bullet counter needs to be replaced with something like what you see in ACE and Red Orchestra.

Personal opinion, yes? Well, I beg to differ: everything has to be optional. And don't start with endless crosshair yes/no discussions. Again. BIs is trying to make this instance of the series a little more accessible and that's the way to go. So options are everything that matters!

Well, option or not, I'd rather have the developers spend their time on usefull things, rather than wasting it on useless stuff like an incoming bullet indicator.

If there was unlimited development time available, then sure, put in all the options that anyone can think of, the ability of soldiers to fly, jump over buildings or whatever. As long as this can be turned off, I wouldn't care. But with limited development time, I want this time to be spent on improving the game and creating useful features, not wasted on turning Arma into an arcade game.

The people who want these kinds of features will never play Arma 3 anyway, they will stay with games like Battlefield, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor or something like that.

Well, option or not, I'd rather have the developers spend their time on usefull things, rather than wasting it on useless stuff like an incoming bullet indicator.

Fun fact: systems that detect gunfire and report the direction are pretty much standard feature on all vehicles in Afghanistan. They are very common and I think it's a matter of years and not even decades before they are miniaturized and placed on individual soldiers.