Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

i hope xm25 grenade will be able to penetrate closed windows :)

In the Gamestar interview Ivan says there will be "incoming bullet" indicators like in CoD

What?

I hope they are only for Recruit difficulty

In the Gamestar interview Ivan says there will be "incoming bullet" indicators like in CoD

What?

Ye only for Recruit

Good then.

Another thing though - Ivan says the campaign is like 10 hours long (though he says 20+ on first playthrough) which is quite short, especially for an open world based campaign. And shorter than OFP too.

Depends how you play I suppose, for me it'll probably be a 40 hour campaign for example :)

What?

I hope we have Apaches that attack from 20ft off the ground and melee with infantry just like in Battlefield 3!

So action is in 2025??

Pfft,if they would had waited just two more years Adam Jensen could had helped the NATO forces.

If the entering animation in the latest Take On Helicopters trailer is any indication, Arma 3 could have them as well. It looks very smooth and realistic.

I wonder then, how many different animations would they need for the different classes of vehicles? One for cars, one for tanks, one for attack helicopters, one for transport helicopters, one for fighter jets, hmmmm...

One? Each vehicle enters differently.

Correct them as I might be wrong, but I thought that one would enter a car the same way, armored or not, if the door opened the same way and it was the same height off the ground. Same thing for armored tracked vehicles if one was to climb up and enter from a hatch. An APC with a door or a hatch on the back, would be accessible the same way. One climbs into a fighter jet cockpit the same way no matter if it is an F-35 or a Mig-21, or am I wrong?

Different heights, different door/hatch shapes, different seats (that includes the ones in the back of APCs so soldiers will still have to teleport unless BIS will animate movement to every seat which it won't) and all that

Different heights, different door/hatch shapes, different seats (that includes the ones in the back of APCs so soldiers will still have to teleport unless BIS will animate movement to every seat which it won't) and all that

No, such detail isn't necessary if the animation can fill in.

Different heights? Longer or shorter climbing animation duration.

Different hatch shapes? The character doesn't have to grab the correct handle and do the correct opening procedure for the specific door, it can be a generic, quick animation like the Arma 2 reloading for example. Or, maybe the system can define where the character grabs from.

Passenger sitting? One animation walking to the vehicle/aircraft, another for climbing and entering it, walking to the seat animation and sitting down.

And so on.

An improved animation system with PhysX and inverse kinematics can handle all that.

I wonder if you have ever done an animation in your life, if you have such high expectations...

Why doesn't BIS create animations for more vehicles than they'll have, so addon makers can use those of BIS for their creations? Wouldn't that be lovely?

Hello everyone!

I just came back from an awesome day at GC with the BIS crew :)

I will give you more details, awesome new features and information soon :)

Hello everyone!

Hurry up man! :D

Hello everyone!

Didn't you ever hear bout the NASA girl who wore diapers and a food tube to better expedite cross country travel?!? :mad:

Just saying..

:D

From this interview, I have gathered these details:

1) Campaign will be divided into chapters with a focused area for the player to be in. That probably means not that the rest of the island will be unaccessible or the player will be punished for leaving the "zone" but that "life" and events will be limited to save computational power and to direct the player. It has been discussed before. I believe that will be a "trick" that it will only be used for the campaign and it makes sense as the campaign mostly exists to entice players used to the other more-scripted FPS's.

2) Lasers are in! "Laser-based missile defense systems" that is. Will they be large structures or portable enough to fit on a vehicle, we will see.

3) Less variety of actual different vehicles and weapons than Arma 2 but since they will be modular and customizable, they might be counted the same.

4) No Experience Points and such. RPG elements include customization and decision making (and of course dialogs and intelligence gathering).

5) PhysX means more than simple ragdoll deaths or bouncy vehicles. The few words Ivan used hinted to a general improvement of object interaction.

"In addition to better implementation of the elements are already in the game, the PhysX engine also offers new possibilities for us. We can now load tanks on transport vehicles, we can slip in the mud, and cars can be soldiers rappelling. " It sounds like that some limitations that the engine had are now overcome so we might see for example characters moving on vehicles or more physical and practical interactions with the environment. BI of course could still be limited by developing time, so even some things that could be possible engine-wise could not be implemented because the actual gameplay gains wouldn't be worth it. At least in the beginning.

6) "You can now select different types of artillery attacks, with different types of ammunition and various types of effects"

7) "We would also like to include animations for getting into cars, because it contributes greatly to the atmosphere, but that's a resource issue"

8) "Although he is often able to have the opportunity to command troops AI, but who wants to play as a lone wolf, which almost always."

9) Real Time 3D Editor not yet ready but is a priority.

10) Possible enhanced HUD to indicate injuries and such: "We need to resort to auxiliary system to simulate what is lacking in comparison to the possibilities of perception of a soldier in the field."

Now THAT's what I call good news!

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

So action is in 2025??

Pfft,if they would had waited just two more years Adam Jensen could had helped the NATO forces.

Yeah I thought it was pretty funny to see the major technological differences between the two games, despite Deus Ex HR only being two years after:p

I'm glad that you were there PurePassion, thanks.

You are very welcome, but you have to thank BIS for making it possible!

3) Less variety of actual different vehicles and weapons than Arma 2 but since they will be modular and customizable, they might be counted the same.

That is a good thing. I just played around with the weapons and - for example - creating those cheap models of the Saiga and the MP5 was a waste of time.