Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

NOT confimed but in the credits for OA it says "Mando Missile Systems approved by US Department of Defence at todays hearing; Navy and Air Force to implement systems by 2012", my guess is we may be getting an official MMA :)

Heh, well spotted. Could have been an early reference to Arma3. :D

daggerfall

halt, halt, halt.

NOT confimed but in the credits for OA it says "Mando Missile Systems approved by US Department of Defence at todays hearing; Navy and Air Force to implement systems by 2012", my guess is we may be getting an official MMA :)

Hehe , I know about the MMS . It could be just a praise from the BIS devs . Anyway, I'm not adding anything to the list until a dev comes here and posts a message about it that ends with a :y:

Hehe , I know about the MMS . It could be just a praise from the BIS devs . Anyway, I'm not adding anything to the list until a dev comes here and posts a message about it that ends with a :y:

Any message needed to incinerate? Anytime You want :icon_twisted:

Definitely not confirmed.

I really hope the campaign will be good. Well written story, (Split into acts, writing wise, as part of the drama curve. You learn this in cinema and theater education... do you have a professional working on this, BI?) well executed and implemented in the mission, multiple prongs that can be explored without breaking the mission or the story (coherency and continuity. A char I shoot in mission one shouldn´t magically reappear in mission 5 just to make the story work out, for example.), and a sense of geneneral continuity. Latter in particular was lacking from Harvest Red and Arrowhead, where you couldn´t really tell how much time passed between missions, what had happened so far etc...

Especially PMC (because it´s story has global implications) has gotten me hot on this... I really want to know which ending of PMC, for example, is canonical, and how it leads into Arma 3. Why is the war happening, how long has it been going on, who is involved and why, etc. Also, obviously which ending of Harvest Red and Arrowhead is canonical, and how those influenced the story up to Operation Magnitude.

Big demands I have here, BI, I apologize for this... but when you ignite a hype, over my favourite games series no less, I get accordingly hyped up.

Cheers

Insta

do you have a professional working on this, BI?

:eek: This is Bohemia Interactive Studios. You can only ask for the most professional:p

---------- Post added at 18:42 ---------- Previous post was at 18:38 ----------

But apart from the joke, i am convinced we all will be surprised this time. We have multiple factors like the exclusive SP support, the AI stand-by function and the general higher focus on the Single-player story which all contribute to a propably very high detailed story.

This kind of makes me think of Crysis, except without nanosuits and had it not gone the 'alien' route and screwed everything up...

the AI stand-by function .

What AI stand by function ?

This kind of makes me think of Crysis, except without nanosuits and had it not gone the 'alien' route and screwed everything up...

Don't worry they said their not going down the nanosuit path . ;)

Don't worry they said their not going down the nanosuit path . ;)

As long as I can swap Nato Load-Bearing Vest for a Nato Tactical Bandolier of a dead spec-ops guy, and trade in Tank Crew Helmet for a dead Pilot's sweet looking helmet, I wouldn't care if they didn't even put a nanothought towards nanosuits :)

God I hope we can in-field gear swap :eek:

What AI stand by function ?

This information is based on this PCGamesHardware (german magazin) article

it says

Die KI soll soweit überarbeitet werden, damit sie sich nicht mehr global und dynamisch verhält. Vielmehr gehen die gesteuerten Kameraden in eine Art Standby-Modus und werden erst aktiviert, wenn der Spieler vorbeikommt. Damit wird verhindert, dass die KI fernab vom eigentlichen Geschehen die Spielmechanik aushebelt.

which means

The AI will be reworked, so that it wont act globally and dynamic. They rather get in a sort of "stand-by mode" and get activated as soon as the player comes near. This will protect the game from too heavy perfomance losses caused by AI's being far off from the actual combat scene.

This is propably a misunderstanding on the interviewers side, cause this will not affect the AI in general ( I think one of the devs confirmed this here) but come in form of an module, which will be very handy for mission editors and the SP campaign

Edited by PurePassion

So it's like placing triggers around the map but packed in a module ? Can a dev expand on this ?

This is propably a misunderstanding on the interviewers side, cause this will very likely no affect the AI in general ( I think one of the devs confirmed this here) but come in form of an module, which will be very handy for mission editors and the SP campaign

There was a thread back when this forum was opened, specifically dealing with this. The devs say it´s a feature that´s just being implemented for the campaign, though they´re debating wether or not to turn it into an editor module.

It won´t affect the AI in general, and is a tool exclusively to permit events in the campaign to play out as the mission designer (and thus story teller) intended them to. Stray AI breaking the story has always been a problem with open world games: which is the reason why, in every instance in other games, the AI has been tethered, cut back or otherwise inhibited, to prevent them from breaking the game.

Off the bat I would point to Oblivion, and Stalker:Shadow of Chernobyl. Both were released with severely lobotomised AI after the devs found it too difficult to have the gameworld act as they intended it to.

No! Why do you think that?

It is actually very handy for mission making and one more module wont make the whole thing harder.

If you have the possibility to make use of this, you can create precise scenarios and have everybody standing where he should be and save up some performance, especially in the SP.

If this myth is true... Mission editing just got a hell of a lot harder.

Actually, if they really do turn it into a module, creating large scale missions that don't lag servers just got a hell of a lot easier...

Just to calm you down, I guess I can tell you that this is just a feature we're playing with in the campaign missions to boost the framerate. In the end it might become a standalone module, but we've never discussed implementing it into the core engine.

thats it. so i think we dont have to further discuss this here

Actually, if they really do turn it into a module, creating large scale missions that don't lag servers just got a hell of a lot easier...

I always had trouble with Modules when editing in ArmA II, I just hope they're simplified and easier to regulate, is all. :(

I always had trouble with Modules when editing in ArmA II, I just hope they're simplified and easier to regulate, is all. :(

Yeah, especially the options could be easier to manage. Instead of having to use the setVariable command, it should be possible to define all parameters in the configs, which are then shown as editable fields when you put the module down in the editor. :)

List updated .

Nice to hear this btw :D , I'm not a big helo pilot , but I know those who are will find it interesting .

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot well happy :).

Take on aeroplanes next then :) hahahaha