Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

Can Arma 3 get this SnowDrop Thingy :)

It would be so nice it Arma 3 would have weather seasons :)

A) What you see there is a tech demo. You can bet that the final game won´t look like that at all.

B) The game is a MMO made by Ubisoft. I smell shitloads of Microtransactions and DLCs.

C) Totally not feasible for a game with the scope of Arma.

A) What you see there is a tech demo. You can bet that the final game won´t look like that at all.

B) The game is a MMO made by Ubisoft. I smell shitloads of Microtransactions and DLCs.

Actually, in this case, it probably will, as that tech demo didn't look all too different from their AC3/4 AnvilNext Engine. Stuff like that IS possible if the engine is not the RV engine. Sorry to disappoint, but there ARE engines that, while they feature smaller terrains, do have better, and I do mean better, graphics than Arma 3.

Truth be told, while the game is released by ubisoft its made by massive(owned by ubisoft I know)

I have full confident that if anyone can do neat engines its Massive, remember how world in conflict looks. Its even gorgeous today, and it was released 6 years ago.

Are you serious?

A. It is a tech demo made a product due to be released sometime next year, opposed to CE3 and UE4 engines tech demos. I can bet you will look just like that, and that will be on the so called next gen consoles (ps4+box1).

B. yeah, and?

C. true, then again, this sort of procedural maps would have a place in a game like Arma, just like it does in ubi's game. You only need 2 textures, one BW map and a proper displacement map based on a composite shader of the previously mentioned (at least from a theory pov).

Are you serious?

A. It is a tech demo made a product due to be released sometime next year, opposed to CE3 and UE4 engines tech demos. I can bet you will look just like that, and that will be on the so called next gen consoles (ps4+box1).

B. yeah, and?

C. true, then again, this sort of procedural maps would have a place in a game like Arma, just like it does in ubi's game. You only need 2 textures, one BW map and a proper displacement map based on a composite shader of the previously mentioned (at least from a theory pov).

I´ll quote you on A in a year. There are many games where the pre release footage looks much better than what you can see in the final game so I´m always very pessimistic when it comes to that.

Coming from Massive, I wouldn't doubt. Final version of WiC is even better looking than the promos!

As far as snow is concerned, VBS3 has this in the works. I have no clue how well it would transfer to Arma 3 though, especially noting how many features people have been wishing would come over from VBS.

That was specifically contracted for by the Swedish government.

...which I find quite interesting as they basically have no defence forces anymore... The numbers are pretty scary, trustable sources (eg. Finnish researches) estimate that about 90% of their ability to defend themselves has been destroyed during the past few years. For example, Russian military planes made a "practice strategic attack" against Stockholm via Baltic Sea this spring and they hadn't single fighter on call to send check it out. Basically their airspace was not defended at all! If they were doing a real attack, the critical areas of Stockholm would have been gone quite likely.

Snow in A3 would be cool though. Even as someone who spends most of my life in middle of snow and ice I hate winter, but in virtual reality it would be cool as I could enjoy the landscape without freezing to death :D

Edited by Ezcoo

See the press release, it mentions a contracted Swedish requirement for "revolutionary new technology for procedural generation of snow layers in VBS2, for more realistic winter environments. Snow layering will also have more detailed and greater effects on soldier and vehicle movements."

According to NouberNou though, "Snow and Biotopes are easily doable in A3" and even posted a proof of concept for the former, then mentioned what VBS3 might be doing differently from his proof of concept.

...which I find quite interesting as they basically have no defence forces anymore... The numbers are pretty scary, trustable sources (eg. Finnish researches) estimate that about 90% of their ability to defend themselves has been destroyed during the past few years. For example, Russian military planes made a "practice strategic attack" against Stockholm via Baltic Sea this spring and they hadn't single fighter on call to send check it out. Basically their airspace was not defended at all! If they were doing a real attack, the critical areas of Stockholm would have been gone quite likely.

Snow in A3 would be cool though. Even as someone who spends most of my life in middle of snow and ice I hate winter, but in virtual reality it would be cool as I could enjoy the landscape without freezing to death :D

Hey, if the russians cant learn to come during work hours its not our fault. :mad:

But in all seriousness this is absolutely right, we can barely defend a single airport as it is now.

Ok guys, this thread was intended as info hub back when A3 was pre-alpha. Now that the game is out and the developers give us regular updates via blogs I will close this thread as it servers no further purpose. I might create a similar thread if BI decides to do an expansion.