Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

Try to look for E3 and Gamescom videos, shooting range contains at least some examples of most of stance modifications :icon_twisted:

Hoorah, the twisted smiley is back! This is always an omen of good things to come. :D

I guess one of the modifications for the prone position is the "last stand".

Then I suppose they would need to squeeze in a "first stand" as well.

If I recall correctly, this was Ctrl+W from prone while Ctrl+Q and Ctrl+E would be urban prone -- and there's a photo or two out there of Rocket mo-capping the supine position with a pistol. Metal Gear Solid 4 had the supine position too, but that one was a 180 degree rollover so you had to first be prone and facing the opposite direction of where you'd intend to scan/shoot, while the Arma 3 version has the character slide his lower body out and sideways to come up in a slightly reclining sitting position, propped up by the right elbow,

's footage of the E3 build showing the character crouching during jog (or tactical pace?), stopping in crouch, then either "back straight" (Ctrl+W from crouch?) or standing to take shots, going back into normal crouch, then going to prone, right-side urban prone, regular prone, then "last stand" supine, then swinging his lower body from the right to return to regular prone; the animations for urban prone and supine were similar as of the

do the futuristic things on the soldiers actually do anything ingame or are they just there to look cool? No utility for the exosuit things the Iranians have? In the gameplay videos, the screen is unchanged yet soldier wears some weird helmet. I don't understand why they're churning out futuristic stuff when they won't even give it a function.

do the futuristic things on the soldiers actually do anything ingame or are they just there to look cool? No utility for the exosuit things the Iranians have? In the gameplay videos, the screen is unchanged yet soldier wears some weird helmet. I don't understand why they're churning out futuristic stuff when they won't even give it a function.

Lets wait until we see more, for now we barely know anything about the equipment they wear or use.

They might or might not. I think Martin Vano said that the Iranian suit might have some combat aids.

and

If they are just there for show, then it's the artistic direction of the game. Furthermore there is nothing futuristic about a skin tight suit with a climate unit and a helmet with built in HUD's and whatnot. Ex: 1 , 2 and 3

I just thought I would put that out there, because I believe that sort of tech will be implemented by 2035

I just thought I would put that out there, because I believe that sort of tech will be implemented by 2035

Understood :) For a moment there I thought you were going to give the good o'll "There is no way that's gonna be implemented speech". I agree with you.

Metal Gear Solid 4 had the supine position too, but that one was a 180 degree rollover so you had to first be prone and facing the opposite direction of where you'd intend to scan/shoot, while the Arma 3 version has the character slide his lower body out and sideways to come up in a slightly reclining sitting position

I have to admit that I find MGS's version of transitioning from prone to supine to be more useful than Arma 3's one (I imagine that it would be irreplaceable when dealing with threats from behind while prone). However, most likely it was done this way in Arma in order to give a player the ability to shoot over small obstacles while retaining a flattened body position.

I have to admit that I find MGS's version of transitioning from prone to supine to be more useful than Arma 3's one (I imagine that it would be irreplaceable when dealing with threats from behind while prone). However, most likely it was done this way in Arma in order to give a player the ability to shoot over small obstacles while retaining a flattened body position.

I've been thinking up a system using Q and E to do a half rollover while prone to quickly deal with threats coming up from behind. Obviously the concept could use more work, but it's just a thought right now.

Pretty much -- one might use the term "dynamic cover" to describe the principle... Jay Crowe previously explained to The Verge why Arma 3 doesn't use sticky cover (heads up, people: MGS did use sticky cover) but while COD/BF/MOH/most-other-FPS-games have "dynamic cover", usually the only options for "adjusting the character's body to fit the cover" are to crouch/strafe or prone/strafe or try to turn the character facing to minimize profile -- MOH differs in having "peek and lean" but that has the disadvantage of forcing the character to be stationary and no advantage from most other FPS games for when you're not "peeking out to scan the horizon/take a shot". Therefore, the stance adjustment mechanic in Arma 3 fills in the gap for the latter -- the character's upper body/sight and weapon muzzle can be raised, lowered or shifted left or right to better conform to a cover and for shooting around/over/under that cover (as contradictory as the idea of shooting under a cover may sound!).

Look what rocket posted in his spontaneous interview about Dayz!

Shannon:Will you be able to track players or find evidence of a firefight, blood trails, bullet casings etc?

Rocket: ArmA III has got it, (I'm pretty sure) but there is an issue for us with memory and dealing with these things, we had something like that in the mod at one point where eating a can of beans left an empty can but that has issues effect framerate so I think it's a bit much in terms of bullet casings, so that's probably a no.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Arma 3 team came across the same issue as him and a similar reaction -- "it eats up frame rate, so no".

Wouldn't be surprised if the Arma 3 team came across the same issue as him and a similar reaction -- "it eats up frame rate, so no".

Can't you do this with ACE and Arma2? (Enable staying brass)

Can't you do this with ACE and Arma2? (Enable staying brass)

You can. A certain somebody I know was playing with the concept for A2. It was pretty neat, however I don't know the performance impact when it's used on a large scale (a.k.a by all players on the server).

As for blood trails, in one of the GC 2012 videos you can see the players avatar leaving a blood trail after being to close to a explosion.

You can. A certain somebody I know was playing with the concept for A2. It was pretty neat, however I don't know the performance impact when it's used on a large scale (a.k.a by all players on the server).

As for blood trails, in one of the GC 2012 videos you can see the players avatar leaving a blood trail after being to close to a explosion.

I use that ACE function all the time. No FPS impact.

Unfortunately without a community alpha in our hands we have yet to find if this still holds true in RV4... ;)

The only metric we've gotten re: the DayZ end is from rocket's tweet, "The great DayZ Beanz hunt! Spawned 150k beans on Chernarus to profile new system...! Only 3 FPS lost... #Yey" He subsequently clarified as you'll see further down in that convo that it was a drop from 25 fps to 22 in Chernogorsk where he's been doing all his testing on his laptop (I believe an Alienware M17x), "But that number is dependent on many factors (dev mode for example)". Moreover, gear spawns are no longer proximity-based in the standalone: "Spawn all the loot + zombies on the server and manage it there. So it doesn't get driven by client computers". Unfortunately, considering that the shift in architecture for the standalone is probably not done in Arma 3, I'm not sure that this anecdote means much re: performance impacts on Arma 3.

With every day that passes without any news about the alpha I guess the game gets more and more delayed. If any of the spring release rumors are true, they better get it out soon.

With every day that passes without any news about the alpha I guess the game gets more and more delayed. If any of the spring release rumors are true, they better get it out soon.

Wait for it :icon_twisted:

Wait for it :icon_twisted:

After four months of waiting, it's getting pretty hard. (Get it? :D)