Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

Problem with manhattan style missions is the sheer complexity. It was worked on for almost a year by a single person, apparently, and even then it wasn´t finished on release day. (It was probably the mission that was complained about most in the troubleshooting section as far as bugs went.)

I´d rather have smaller, tighter OFP style missions that work every time, with a concise and interesting challenge and objective, rather than a big sandbox that doesn´t work half the time. Manhattan could´ve been a game in itself.

Ok then I understand.

Problem with manhattan style missions is the sheer complexity. It was worked on for almost a year by a single person, apparently, and even then it wasn´t finished on release day. (It was probably the mission that was complained about most in the troubleshooting section as far as bugs went.)

I´d rather have smaller, tighter OFP style missions that work every time, with a concise and interesting challenge and objective, rather than a big sandbox that doesn´t work half the time. Manhattan could´ve been a game in itself.

I loved the concept though, it even worked fine when i played it for the first time. Too bad that was also the last time it worked properly. :p

No prob, was hoping to hear something like "helicopters no longer instantly explode with the slightest touch"
Interesting, that's almost the same I asked about :) I asked about whether plane travelling at high speed colliding with the forest still results in the plane immediately stopping to 0 and gently drop to the ground or if PhysX can make some more epic crashes with the plane not immediately losing it's momentum and toppling several trees. Karel told me that it's not really his area and since the PhysX is still not fully configured it could be possible in the future (emphasis on "could"). We shall see.

Regarding the "helicopters instantly exploding with the slightest touch" ... yeah, I regret I didn't ask that question, although I would have probably got a similar answer - too soon to be sure.

The topic of Alpha never came up, it completely slipped my mind :( True, I could have asked more specific and interesting questions, but the majority of people attending the event were developers who would rather ask about various challenges in game developement than listen why "teh devs can't make all the things" etc.

Oh yeah, one more thing I remember (hopefully correctly): When we discussed Karel's Town Generator he said that he is working on/finished (not sure which) modifing it to include roads. No more details on that, I was asking about generating objects in no-man's-land and we never returned to the roads again.

I was asking about generating objects in no-man's-land

Tell us more. ;)

Tell us more. ;)

Not much new here either :) I asked about trees and the response was the same as someone said on the forums a while back - generating LOTS AND LOTS of trees that have to be constantly checked for state would create a massive performance hit. We didn't stay long on topic, because Karel said he's quite glad he doesn't have to solve these issues, because all Arma 3 islands are... well... islands :D

Not much new here either :) I asked about trees and the response was the same as someone said on the forums a while back - generating LOTS AND LOTS of trees that have to be constantly checked for state would create a massive performance hit. We didn't stay long on topic, because Karel said he's quite glad he doesn't have to solve these issues, because all Arma 3 islands are... well... islands :D

But the island is surrounded with water, and the under water ground is filled now...

Edited by ProfTournesol

But around the island is water, and under water ground is filled now...

Good point, but I guess Limnos/Stratis weren't designed for diving expeditions into no-man's-waters in mind :-D

Good point, but I guess Limnos/Stratis weren't designed for diving expeditions into no-man's-waters in mind :-D

That's fair enough. But how far from this island is the underwater ground designed is another question.

That being said, BI better include a giant squid once you enter no mans land...

Going into more serious stuff... I was cheeking the A3 website for *cough* new *cough* info *cough* *cough**cough* *cough* and I realized that BI mentioned UKSF operators under the story section. I somehow overlooked that piece of info when I updated the thread.

Does this confirm that the UKSF will be a sub-faction so I can take them off the dev wishlist or are they simply the guys from CRTG ?

Indie Games CZ - my mini report

• a team of developers (nicknamed Balance Task Force or something like that :)) is dedicated solely for editing AI and weapon configs for balancing purposes

I don't taky any responsibility for the info being wrong, either because I didn't get it right... or because I was deliberately trolled by Karel :icon_twisted:

There's a lot of interesting stuff on the report, but this one caught my attention. Am I just being too suspicious over the word balancing? Of course, they are making fictional weapons and fictional ammo, but the wording bothers me - balancing as in MP balance or balance as in "replicating real life ballistics etc." balance?

There's a lot of interesting stuff on the report, but this one caught my attention. Am I just being too suspicious over the word balancing? Of course, they are making fictional weapons and fictional ammo, but the wording bothers me - balancing as in MP balance or balance as in "replicating real life ballistics etc." balance?

I would say neither :) Real-life ballistics was always a feature, I have never thought of it as a balancing issue. And I always thought MP balance in Armaverse games is more of a mission design issue, not just war of weapon stats of opposing armies. From the context of our discussion, I would say the team is responsible for (and not limited to) adjusting AI handling each weapon, so that the fights would be more believable and enjoyable. As an example - AI soldier without a scoped weapon should have a harder time hitting you over a distance.

I would say neither :) Real-life ballistics was always a feature, I have never thought of it as a balancing issue. And I always thought MP balance in Armaverse games is more of a mission design issue, not just war of weapon stats of opposing armies. From the context of our discussion, I would say the team is responsible for (and not limited to) adjusting AI handling each weapon, so that the fights would be more believable and enjoyable. As an example - AI soldier without a scoped weapon should have a harder time hitting you over a distance.

That clears some stuff up. Cheers.

Anybody knows if the sound system will be something similar to advanced combat sound environment mod or battlefield 3 sound? Arma 3 deserves a nice sound system. Is there any revolution in sound system at all? I always thought that sound makes HUGE difference in case of realism. Ia mean there are lots of information, emotions that our brain reads from sound. I noticed how important it is wathing "Public Enemies". This movie has amazing sound effects. It made me feel shivers on my back. I live 3km from armored unit army range and i can hear bushmaster canons or something right now in the bacground(my lamp is shaking so there might be something heavier too) so this why I sarted to think about it.

Oh Yeah, Arma 3 deserves a great Soundsystem.

Just look at JSRS, Arma feels totally new if you play with that!

First post updated:

• Removed all features from the list
  • Minor bug fixes

I love all the modes and have full faith in their sense of humor... especially yours FADE

Oh shit! Arma3 now confirmed to have zero features. We screwed! :D

Has anyone started a thread yet about threads with removed features?

Wasn't it about unconfirmed but newly added features ? Oh wait...

Edited by ProfTournesol

ok, nice so the thread makes no sense anymore. Unstick and close? :)

ok, nice so the thread makes no sense anymore. Unstick and close? :)

Why do you want the thread closed? Do you hate the community? Don't we need a place where we can discuss A3 features in peace? I'm sorry I thought this was a public forum!? Isn't this a public forum? I thought this was a public forum!

Why do you want the thread closed? Do you hate the community? Don't we need a place where we can discuss A3 features in peace? I'm sorry I thought this was a public forum!? Isn't this a public forum? I thought this was a public forum!

Ofcause I hate the community :rolleyes:

It was just cynical note about your decision to delete your wonderful list of the - confirmed - or what ever - features.

But hey why anticipate about ArmA 3 ? Or is it just the community ? :D

Edited by Raptor

does this mean nothing is confirmed????,can they for example just say that the game will only be set on stratis....

Will ARMA3 feature weapons and vehicles?

Will ARMA3 feature weapons and vehicles?

Yeah dev's.... will it ?!