Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

The statement seems to imply that AT MINIMUM (in terms of realism) the ARMA 3 flight model will be TOH's easier flight model.

How does the arcadish TOH flight model compare to the ARMA 2 flight model?

The statement seems to imply that AT MINIMUM (in terms of realism) the ARMA 3 flight model will be TOH's easier flight model.

How does the arcadish TOH flight model compare to the ARMA 2 flight model?

Already much more difficult to fly and closer (though not necessarily close) to a realistic model. It does have a lot of helpers though, such as auto trim.

The expert flight model basically removes all the helpers, making it even more difficult to fly (impossible for newbs). It's especially difficult with a mouse and keyboard - you'll want a proper joystick or at least an analog game pad (my choice) to fly on expert mode.

So if both flight models from TOH are imported into ARMA 3 on a basically 1:1 basis (that is, as close as possible considering the differing engines), then we're still looking at a noticeable upgrade in realism compared to ARMA 2, even with ARMA 3 and all flight options set to easiest?

n7snk, sounds like your problem's already solved.

Already much more difficult to fly and closer (though not necessarily close) to a realistic model. It does have a lot of helpers though, such as auto trim.

The expert flight model basically removes all the helpers, making it even more difficult to fly (impossible for newbs). It's especially difficult with a mouse and keyboard - you'll want a proper joystick or at least an analog game pad (my choice) to fly on expert mode.

it's not HARD it's just different a bit. helicopter feels like a helicopter and not a railroad-truck/brick in air. more responsive controls, so it's really comfortable.

So if both flight models from TOH are imported into ARMA 3 on a basically 1:1 basis (that is, as close as possible considering the differing engines), then we're still looking at a noticeable upgrade in realism compared to ARMA 2, even with ARMA 3 and all flight options set to easiest?

n7snk, sounds like your problem's already solved.

well, just wanted to read a response from bis like: "yeah flight model will be adjustable in difficulty settings" so i could say hell yeah, i love you bis and take my money now!

it's not HARD it's just different a bit.

Could be true, I guess. After flying in Arma for so many years and become pretty good at it, adjusting to the new ToH model felt difficult to me - perhaps just because it was so different. :D

well, in ofp you was flying a rail road angular train

in arma 1 you was flying a a brick

in arma 2 you fly something like a light brick

in toh you fly something like a helicopter ;) it doesn't feel that angular. ofcause it takes some time to get used to but it's much more comfortable then in arma 2.

so yeah

well, just wanted to read a response from bis like: "yeah flight model will be adjustable in difficulty settings" so i could say hell yeah, i love you bis and take my money now!

From the few heli videos I've seen so far, it looks more like current flight model than TAKOH on easy.

Yup. I expect they haven't ported the library yet, so it's still on the Arma2 flight model.

Makes sense, considering what ARMA 3 looked like a year again. I wouldn't be surprised if infantry was given top priority this year in terms of "what HAS to appear distinctly different by E3 and Gamescom time," and if that means we don't get to see the ARMA 3 flight model in action until the community alpha.

Looks like ToH heli using the A2 flight model at the moment. The parts seem to work correctly though, I was keeping an eye on the rotors on start up.

Lift off was too rapid though and I couldn't quite see if the instruments were functioning correctly, the temperature gauges are the ones to keep an eye on.

I don't recall them doing a start up sequence either, or selecting auto start up.

I have no idea how the implementation of PhysX ties in with the flight model either, how does it effect the ToH flight model or do they just work side by side with minimal adjustments?

Wise move to keep the A2 flight model for those demos IMO. Imagine non sim folks having a go, Oh look infantry, cool, ATV's , cool, choppers,....oh F.. Though I actually quite like the TOH flight model it may take some time for people to get used to.

I understood the flight model would be linked to difficulty settings.

Since the demos are done in low difficulty (crosshair & squad info) it would be using A2 but higher modes should use ToH.

As the quote from BI said, EDcase, ToH is default for ARMA 3, which seems to imply that A2 is lower than the easiest settings in ARMA 3 would go. Likewise, BobcatBob, I'm expecting that fast-rope remains possible in the ENGINE (I imagine by scripting), but that because of the implementation issues (plus what Old Bear's line about Ivan and the military consultants said) it won't be in vanilla ARMA 3.

Edited by Chortles

^ Not sure if it´ll blind you through the hills, I`m gessing it won´t as the complete lighting has been overhauled pretty decently in order to make such problem dissapear (it should work as the new NVG does, having a wider variety of light values to soften the transitions effects) . What the new HDR does, is making a lightly bloomy outerline around the unit. You can see it in almost all videos when facing a dark area. I have seen this effect in a large variety of games and aslong it isn´t very pronounced, it should be good. Please feel free to correct me if I´m wrong, but don´t be too hard on me :p

Also, could some dev inform us about the death-ragdoll effects when a unit is in a gunner position? Will it fall simply to the ground as standard ragdoll or will the animation play out after the unit is "kicked" from the gunner position?

I only read that the area on screen when it kicks in isn't as big, but nothing about hills blocking the sun. It's a shame, the graphics look much better when the sun is straight above you. anything below 45 degrees ruins it.

Since Pure decided to be a slave to THE MAN and deal with real life instead of giving us his impressions from GC 2012, I went ahead and updated the list, from what I could remember.

Added:

The M4 Scorcher and M6 Sandstorm to the vehicle list

Mk 17 Holo and HUD glasses to equipment

Vector to the SMG's

The briefing module to game play

The rotor down-wash effect on smoke trails to visuals

Did I miss anything critical?

Since Pure decided to be a slave to THE MAN and deal with real life instead of giving us his impressions from GC 2012, I went ahead and updated the list, from what I could remember.

Added:

The M4 Scorcher and M6 Sandstorm to the vehicle list

Vector to the SMG's

The briefing module to game play

The rotor down-wash effect on smoke trails to visuals

Did I miss anything critical?

- physics effect all smoke it seems, including for example grenades

- the loadout editor

- better mod selection and intergration

- physics effect all smoke it seems, including for example grenades

- the loadout editor

- better mod selection and intergration

-Got it

- It was already on the list ( from last year I think :p )

- Not actually confirmed ( I'm gonna wait for the devs to give us a more detailed example of this)

- Not actually confirmed ( I'm gonna wait for the devs to give us a more detailed example of this)

I don't remember who said it, but it was on an interview eiher of Ivan or Marek about something inspired by Six Updater regarding a tighter and cleaner approach to mod intergration.

I don't remember who said it, but it was on an interview eiher of Ivan or Marek about something inspired by Six Updater regarding a tighter and cleaner approach to mod intergration.

Yes it confirmed its something they are working on. But how and to what extent is not something they have gone in to.

Its already under Sort of confirmed/developer wishes.

The "Mk17 Holosight" is in one of the videos as a renamed EOTech, I think the one with Gaia/Karel Moricky playing? Basically at one point he took up the "Vector SMG 9mm" with an EOTech-style optic, and when removing the optic so as to use iron sights, the item name was "Mk17 Holosight".

Vector to the SMG's

I haven't seen the HUD glasses as a separate item (only as a visual item on Capt. Miller's tactical eyewear), but "Vector SMG 9mm" is a rechambered KRISS Vector (normally only in .45 ACP) with a 30 round magazine... whose static image in the inventory GUI is a CZ Scorpion EVO III A1 (OBVIOUS PLACEHOLDER AT WORK!).

Ah it was the item itself, derp. I was reading that like the old weapon variant listings "Mk17 Holo" which was the Scar H with Eotech, but I guess with the guns and attachments separate now that will be an obsolete concept.