Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

hey awesome news! can't wait for the Alpha.

i do have a gripe with the lighting. on pic #3 where the vehicles are lit up from behind, i noticed that the light sources at night do not cast shadows. it kinda ruins the effect when objects that are for all intended purposes not in the lights beam (light blocked by the rest of the model), and yet have full illumination as if there is nothing blocking the light. i know the RV engine supports 3d visual occlusion for the 3D world models, but isn't there a way to do something similar with light sources? example: if a pixel is not in direct view in the direction of the light source, then that pixel should be unlit.

I would also like to know if those Mirrors really behave like Mirrors or like Screens. If they behave like mirrors, then the guy on the passenger seat shouldn´t be able to see the same things the driver does.

Since it's there I don't think it would be too taxing to just render those depending on clients' viewpoint, i mean, i don't see any obstacle in not mirroring a mirror behaviour.

I would like those mirrors to also simulate wider FOVs as in being convex instead of plane (leaving the actual geometry planar, no point in simulating that).

Those new screenshots are pretty exciting and the news too overall.

Edited by gammadust

Analysis in this pic.

The front vehicle doesn´t seems to cast his own shadow in himself, but looks like hes casting a shadow in front of him. Will we finally see some proper lighting?

The dude in the cyber suit seems strange...

Apparently no shadowing yet whatsoever from that type of light source. Sun on the other hand, in this pic, apparently enables self shadowing.

On none of the screenshots can I spot actual shadows being drawn from objects, there is shading on the objects, but here the tracks aren't castings shadows either, the rest is lost in shading & groudn clutter

Analysis in this pic.

The front vehicle doesn´t seems to cast his own shadow in himself, but looks like hes casting a shadow in front of him. Will we finally see some proper lighting?

The dude in the cyber suit seems strange...

I believe it is same like in batllefield 3, not all light sources make shadows. There is usually only one light with shadows in the scene. So in Arma 3 scene only e.g. the moon is making shadows, but I'm too curious if it can be like in cryengine

Ok list updated:

Added RTT to the game engine section.

Added working mirrors and MFD's to the gameplay section

Added chemlights and the beret to the tactical gear & clothes section.

Now I have some questions for BIS :D :

We can see the solider in this screen wearing a T-shirt as his top. Does this mean that combat fatigues/clothes are now split into 2 sections, top and bottom or is it simply a "pants with t-shirt" one piece fatigue?

Is that cilinder under the L-159 a targeting pod?

Will there be a single modular "H-6" platform that can be equiped depending on the mission or will there be 2 platforms, the AH-6 and the MH-6?

Will eye protection be an equipable in-game item? I'm asking this because I see a distinct lack of goggles on the solider models in this screens compared to old ones.

Pretty sure it's split into shirt and pants. Recall this screen showing the underclothes:

arma-3-pc-1308315389-026_m.jpg

As you can see, that top is the same as in the recently released pics (visible in two screens). So the configuration in the new screen is everything minus a shirt. I don't think the t-shirt is a customizable shirt. It's the base clothing on the model. It's a part of the underwear.

Limited shadowcasting hints at a deferred lighting engine not available, for now at least.

Antoine you are right, it is the same T-shirt, however I think the pants just slap on the model everytime you equip a tactical vest. A BIS dev can always dismiss my theory ;) and of course answer the question regarding the AH/MH 6 and the eye wear :D

While

technologies like shotgun

dispersal in Private Military

Company helped to provide a

platform for the implementation

of things like mines and explosives in A3.

Whatch out for real SHRAPNEL!:yay:

I believe it is same like in batllefield 3, not all light sources make shadows. There is usually only one light with shadows in the scene. So in Arma 3 scene only e.g. the moon is making shadows, but I'm too curious if it can be like in cryengine

Since OFP only the sun and moon used to cast shadow, including self shadow on objects. What its really intriguing me there is the shadow (or better, lack of light) in the front of the first vehicle, and how the light from the second vehicle seems to have a "cut" there.

That PCGamer new shot is amazing, what really caught my eye there was the camouflaged helmet from the guy on the right.

:) The famous Limnos statue is in the game :) and even the building behind it is there

More stuff:

Goats

customizable level of camouflage? (see the helmet)

source (still reading)

That question is burning me to now :( Does this mean each individual gear element is customizable BIS?

Well pointed... that falloff on vegetation in the background looks really good...

or that might be the "Reconnaissance helmet" ( together with those others)

I just noticed that the operator with the weed helmet is wearing a vest with no visible pouches or radio on his left shoulder like the rest. Also take notice of the shemagh around his neck :) +1 for modular individual tactical gear pieces?

EDIT

He also has no sign of pouches on his legs.

Edited by Maio
Mint tea

Probably just a lightweight vest and "scout" helmet then, not costumization. :(

Speaking of which, I really hope that same vests\helmets have a little variation in pouches\mags\gear positionation.

I've updated the first post with the " Press covrage" section - courtesy of Foxhound and Armaholic.com :)

Quick question, has it been confirmed whether the take on helicopters flight model is only for the heli's, or is it being extended to the jets because it would be nice to see them handle realistically as well.

Dan;2112031']Quick question' date=' has it been confirmed whether the take on helicopters flight model is only for the heli's, or is it being extended to the jets because it would be nice to see them handle realistically as well.[/quote']

If they even have an advanced flight model for jets, they haven't said so. The TKOH flight model is for helicopters only.