Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

I'm not gonna comment on Karel delievering only one photo(:D) from the recent "Press Start Vol. 2" event but rather kindly take a look at it.

In the description it says Martin was explaining the similarities of Arma 3 and VBS.

The screenshot is showing a remote-controlled IED device and a man-portable CRCIED system, like e.g. the THOR III.

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/cins/USMC%20CREW/USMC%20CREW%203.3/images/THORIII.jpg

They can jamm IED's in a limited area and serve as the counterpart of the various new added explosive devices.

Oh nice, I wonder if it also jams the radios too, if so I bet the guy with the radio and this thing have a great relationship.

It might not be like that in real life but that is actually a interesting idea.

I already had tactical aspects like the jamming device taking up all the backpack etc slots, so you have to make a choice between either other equipment such as ammunition or the jammer which makes you feasable to pass minefields etc.

Ohh all those possibilities :)

Hey guys what does the community think about following?!

I have a suggestion on how to solve the problem, that gras is not rendered in distance.

The method of letting the soldier slide into the ground aims in a good direction I think - but it can be enhanced!

First - in Arma 2 it often appeared that u were completely invisible in high gras AT LOW TO MEDIUM RANGE while you were completely visible in distance (except for your body beeing drawn a bit under the map)

Now that this is a good idea - it was the same effect on every almost every ground!

I suggest you make this effect dependable of the kind of gras the soldier lays in! So the game notices that the soldier lies in extrem high gras! Therefore the body is drawn extremely down under the map. At some point this high, that you cannot even see him anymore because the gras hides him so well.

(maybe combined with the soldier beeing rendered a bit transparent - the higher the gras - so you can still spot him but it becomes way more harder)

Now laying down in cut gras will also lead into your body beeing drawn a bit under the map, but it will clearly be more visible.

This would be a recource friendly way of simulate different gras hights.

Also I would admit, that you keep some of the higher gras layers turned on on far distances. A sprite shouldnt be to much for a modern pc to be rendered at distance!

I hope you take a look at my suggestions!

Best greetz

Nordkindchen

Hey guys what does the community think about following?!

I think that you're posting your suggestions in the wrong thread. *hint hint - look at the title - hint hint*

Mh...ok...

But I started a topic about that theme and it got closed because it should be added in another forum.

And since the "ArmA 3: Community wishes & ideas|NO DISCUSSION" forum clearly says no discussion and I wanted a discussion about this theme - it made sense to post it here.

If I am not allowed to make a topic of that theme - and the "ArmA 3: Community wishes & ideas|NO DISCUSSION" thread is not the right one. And the "Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion" is not the right one.

I simply dont know where to post it.

ASRAAM ... hmmm... ASRAAM sounds like ASS-RAM, poor acronym choice if you ask me...

I think the description fits perfectly dont you think? It would rammed up your ass real good right? If you happened to be at the wrong end of its sensor that is..

@KarelMoricky

Karel Mořický

So #Lemnos is now covered by snow? youtu.be/n2QSaQArTuM I fear community will now demand winter version of the island in #Arma3.

Looks like Arma 3 may be getting snow weather effects. :D

@KarelMoricky

Karel Mořický

So #Lemnos is now covered by snow? youtu.be/n2QSaQArTuM I fear community will now demand winter version of the island in #Arma3.

Looks like Arma 3 may be getting snow weather effects. :D

No... it just means that a BIS dev implied that the community will start asking for snow for the sake of realism :)

Finally, some fresh screenshots :D

The underground enterance is probably similar to the entrance to the mine, above Feruz Abad, in Takistan. But seeing that VBS2 has the ability to create underground structures, one can hope. :)

Edited by colossus

List updated:

Added the L-39ZA and the UGV to the vehicle list.

Added the screens to the screenshot galery.

We can get nice view of the modular vehicle system. Notice the reactive armour on the Merkava and the turret system on the Fennek.

Hey BIS, will the L-39's serve as OPFOR's main CAS air unit? Will they have a new shiny MFD rich cockpit ;) ?

What is so special about that modular vehicle system?

Isn´t it basically the same as in Arma 2 CO where you have multiple variants of the same vehicle?

PCgames.de published new screenshots of Arma 3 :)

There were in total 4 of them.

one showed two L-39ZA's

a new UGV type

reactive armor plates on the Merkava

This picture suggests there might be underground structures but I wouldn't use that as "confirmation" because there were already structures like this in Arma 2

In the picture with the Merkava isnt it fenneks in the back?

If so arent the Fenneks a NATO unit while the Merkava is opfor?

In the picture with the Merkava isnt it fenneks in the back?

Merkava is on both side (if I'm not mistaken), the iranian one has a digital camo.

Edited by Papanowel

The UGV kinda looks like a Crusher (DARPA), but it's not a direct copy of it. Not in the current state at least. It's too robust compared to A3's UGV, which seems more like a made-up light version of a fully tried and tested Crusher.

What is so special about that modular vehicle system?

Isn´t it basically the same as in Arma 2 CO where you have multiple variants of the same vehicle?

From the info we have until now, we will be able to "customize" a nr. of vehicles with things like extra protection, different turrets, camouflage patterns, etc.

My guess is that this will be done in the editor.

I'm surprised as hell that you haven't added some of this stuff:

Looking through the ArmA 3 website might be of use sometimes....

I've made the real juicy stuff bold.

Personal Armament

You will be equipped by the state-of-the-art weapons technology, ergonomic load-bearing equipment and the most advanced protective gear.

Prepare to operate wide range of personal weapons: pistols, ultramodern assault and sniper rifles, machineguns, missile launchers and even some experimental weapons.

Multitude of gadgets may give you critical advantage in the battlespace. Explosives may give you the necessary edges over the superior enemy numbers.

Adapt your gear to the mission at hand, choose a fitting uniform and balance the gear capacity, protection level and weight.

Soft Vehicles

Expect to use the abundance of soft vehicles. Drive anything from motorbikes and quadbikes to heavy supply trucks.

Many military vehicles sport additional armament, reconnaisance means and other advantages, e.g. floating or increased fordability.

Some vehicles are sparse in the area of operation; if they break, tow them to a repair station.

Unmanned Ground Vehicles are frequent inhabitants of modern battlefield. You may expect small reconnaisance drones as well as independent fighting machines.

Armored Vehicles

Armored vehicles are more scarce, which is counterbalanced by the increased fighting capability and crew survivability.

Main battle tanks usually provide additional active protection.

The most recent weapon platforms using some of the newly developed arms technology can be expected to appear in the battles.

Artillery

Fire support will be maintained by the self-propelled howitzers, self-propelled multi-launch rocket systems and by mortars, either static or deployed on APCs.

Your firepower and tactical possibilities will be extended by the precision-guided ammunition, flares or smoke screen.

Static Weapons

Several machineguns and grenade launchers are available to serve as defences. Some of the weapons are based upon the newest research in the arms industry.

All the stationary armament can be dismantled and transported by troops or vehicles.

Some of the weapon platforms can be remotely controlled or may operate independently. Save your troops for real action by creating automated defences around bases and perimeters.

Aircraft

Helicopters come in many types and variants, covering the whole range of attack, combined or transportation roles.

Fixed-wing aircraft consist mainly of the ground attack jets. Due to the sparse take-off and landing possibilities, VTOL aircraft will be available.

Unmanned Aerial Vehicles can provide valuable intel or provide additional fire support. Some are so small they can be deployed on a squad level.

Surface Vessels

Small but agile military speedboats are at your disposal. Military vessels are designed for the coastal raids and patrolling, they are usually armed.

Also, variety of civilian ships in varying condition may be found along the inhabited coastline of Limnos.

Submersibles

Last but not least: embark on a Swimmer Deliver Vehicle and infiltrate the seeming impenetrable defences under the surface of Mediterranean.

SDV provides not just the transportat, but also a powerful observation periscope.

Edited by Nicholas

I see none of that missing :)

But now that I think about it, there are indeed things missing! :o

Remember this tweet by RiE? I found out he was secretly referring to this small island called "Agios Efstratios" which is situated close to Limnos.

Then there was this photo by Karel which might indicate something similar could be in Arma 3.

This information is not completely confirmed tough as there is currently no proof of them actually being in Arma 3, so it would go in "sort of confirmed"

The missiles on the Comanche are AIM-132 ASRAAM's (Munitions)

Edited by PurePassion