Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

Hmm not sure.

The holster is empty ^^

Somehow it's strange that he's able to walk on the flippers like that when everytime we saw it so far, they were taken off as soon as the character gets onto land. Might mean something new ( physical interaction related maybe)

other than that I would say it looks absolutely awesome! :)

Edit

Edited by PurePassion
mad ninjas with santa hats @_@

sooo, it seems to me that this scenario would be doable:

swim to the enemy base, get out of water, silently knife a guard, drag him behind rocks.

I would love to see metadata added to missions and addons. That way a mission or addon could foremost specify needed dependencies. Tools like six updater might then be able to not only install latest versions of mods, but also of a specific version. A server running a specific mission could export this metadata and third party tools or arma3 itself could make sure it starts with the correct versions loaded.

This would follow the path taken by Linux distributions from archives to packages, see debian and rpm packages for useful metadata information. I do not think that the core missions need to fully use that metadata, but for any third party mission it would be nice to have a tool that can download dependencies on install time, rather than run time.

Whatever new features ARMA3 is gonna have, 90% of public servers are going to be ruined by crappy MHQ\Teleport action. If people aren't afraid to die in this game, it doesen't matter how realistic BI makes it, or how good the AI are, it's gonna remain an arcade shooter for most of us.

Whatever new features ARMA3 is gonna have, 90% of public servers are going to be ruined by crappy MHQ\Teleport action. If people aren't afraid to die in this game, it doesen't matter how realistic BI makes it, or how good the AI are, it's gonna remain an arcade shooter for most of us.

... and how is this at all relevant? :rolleyes:

Where public servers are concerned, gameplay that caters to the lowest common denominator will always be more "popular" than complex and/or less forgiving gameplay. Just like the crappy reality TV shows that nobody admits to liking but somehow always get the highest ratings, that's just the way it is.

But this thread isn't about public MP gameplay.

You are thinking as a hardcore player. You start a mission, get shot and thats it, how enjoyable. Nobody would play public. Maybe 2-3 minutes waiting for spawn would change people's mind.

What I don't like about all these servers is that they all have different rules so every mission is its own game type. But this is OT anyway...

Where did you get that christmas screen from? I can't find it on arma3.com

Where did you get that christmas screen from? I can't find it on arma3.com

observe the BIS adds above ;)

let's fusion all the future Arma 3 ACE-mod fix and improvements directly into Arma 3 vanila version patch.

I mean ACE-mod improvements and features should be what vanila looks like.

ACE shouldn't be a third party mod but a full Patch system for vanila.

Just check How many fix have been done with ACE for Arma 2 and compare the result with the standard vanila patch.

The ACE suggestions and developpement work for Arma 3 MUST be directly incorporated into future arma 3 Vanila patch.

another suggestion : add the Mil-MI28N helicopter (missing in the confirmed vehicles list)

The suggestions thread is that'a way.

Come back when you've discovered a confirmed feature. ;)

let's fusion all the future Arma 3 ACE-mod fix and improvements directly into Arma 3 vanila version patch.

no...

it's stupid to separate bugs and requested features into two differents developments.

it isn't. one is a mod the other is a game.

I mean ACE-mod improvements and features should be what vanila looks like. all the communauty players should use ACE features via direct implementation with vanila patch.

I really hate being forced to do something

(because lots of servers don't want or don't know how to use ACE)

If they don't want to, they most likely got their reasons.

ACE shouldn't be a third party mod but official update for vanila.

I dissagre. I use ace myself, and have been part of the development. That said, there are times when i have the mood to use ace, and times when i don't. There some brilliant features in it, but there are some that aren't everyone's cup of tea, or that are taking things a bit too far for a video game (yes, arma is still a video game, not a simulation).

another suggestion : add the Mil-MI28N helicopter (missing in the confirmed vehicles list)

there isn't one in the confirmed list because the A3 one is not a mi-28...

Oh, and it's interesting that the flippers seem to bend realistically so that they wouldn't clip through the floor.

:rolleyes:

Something is odd here :D

:rolleyes:

Something is odd here :D

I think the engine used in that video is an older version of Real Reality, where flippers can't bend. :o

I would like to see a Santa beard while editing your player profile. Thanks. (Christmas troll is the best troll)

P.S.

I'm sure plenty of Santa's will agree with me.

BTW guys flippers inst confirmed, I see no dolphins anywhere. However I do see FIN'S so you can confirm that!

(sorry I am a real diver)

Swimfins, swim fins, fins or flippers are worn on the foot or leg and made from finlike rubber or plastic, to aid movement through the water in water sports activities such as swimming, bodyboarding, bodysurfing, kneeboarding, riverboarding, and various types of underwater diving.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimfin

Swimfins, swim fins, fins or flippers are worn on the foot or leg and made from finlike rubber or plastic, to aid movement through the water in water sports activities such as swimming, bodyboarding, bodysurfing, kneeboarding, riverboarding, and various types of underwater diving.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimfin

Quoting wikipedia amounts to saying 'because my Dad said so', expect to be strung up at any sort of further education establishment if you were to do that. I could go into the article now and delete flippers, or for my own amusement, change it to 'lassies' or 'skippies'. Additionally, if you read the article you posted, you'll notice that nowhere else do they refer to talking dolphins, only fins. I assume the aforementioned entry was to cater to those who want to believe in flippers, santa and the easter bunny.

Dan is correct, for anyone who holds any sort of diving certificate they're called fins, rather than named after an irritating MGM character.

Edited by Messiah

Quoting wikipedia amounts to saying 'because my Dad said so', expect to be strung up at any sort of further education establishment if you were to do that. I could go into the article now and delete flippers, or for my own amusement, change it to 'lassies' or 'skippies'.

Yes, everyone can write on Wikipedia, but everyone can correct mistakes too. Just try what you just suggested and we'll see how long it is up before it is corrected.

And yes, when I went to University there were a few old, conservative professors with no understanding at all of the Internet that frowned upon Wikipedia (and all other Internet sources), but most did not complain as long as you evaluted every source and considered the plausibility of all facts, no matter the source. A book can be just as reliable or unreliable as a Wikipedia entry.

Yes, everyone can write on Wikipedia, but everyone can correct mistakes too. Just try what you just suggested and we'll see how long it is up before it is corrected.

And yes, when I went to University there were a few old, conservative professors with no understanding at all of the Internet that frowned upon Wikipedia (and all other Internet sources), but most did not complain as long as you evaluted every source and considered the plausibility of all facts, no matter the source. A book can be just as reliable or unreliable as a Wikipedia entry.

Yet they don't feel fit to correct or explain the misconception of 'flippers' over 'fins'? The problem is that wikipedia caters to the majority opinion, not always fact. As you pointed out, if you wish to gain any credible citations from it, you head to the article's own source, not the article itself. I find most of the conservatives understand the internet quite perfectly, just as much as they understand that wikipedia is written, edited and canabalised by anyone who has an internet connection and a spare thirty seconds.

Without doubt my word offers little credibility, nor do I expect it to, and nor do I really care. They're fins, not flippers. In the same way that it's a mask, not goggles that he's wearing. At the end of the day it's just semantics, but as anyone with a diving certificate will tell you, flipper is a dolphin. I got beaten around the back of my head everytime I uttered that word during my advanced course.

Whilst the difference may seem petty to most, and in truth it is mostly a way for the diving community to look down upon lesser beings, there is a reason behind it. Whilst fins and flippers is fairly innocuous, the other common mistake, air tank and oxygen tank, isn't. Making sure you know what you're asking for is drummed into you, be it paltry or serious. One might be a harmless mistake, the other essentially kills you.

Edited by Messiah

You don't have oxygen or air tanks. Tanks shoot people, cylinders are what you breath from :)

Dan;2079271']You don't have oxygen or air tanks. Tanks shoot people' date=' cylinders are what you breath from :)[/quote']

Highly embarrassing, but indeed. I always found distinguishing the contents a little more important, however.

(There's a couple of others that always stump me, can't for the life of me remember them anymore)

I always found distinguishing the contents a little more important, however.

iipduL3ko6g

I think that should be an option in Arma 3 :bounce3:

I don't care what people call them, but if we are going to get all semmantic…

As Messiah pointed out, the distinction in the terms is strictly to allow divers to feel superior to non divers.

Quoting wikipedia amounts to saying 'because my Dad said so',

Ok, let's try some other references for the definition a flipper:

• Oxford English Dictionary: a flat rubber attachment worn on the foot for underwater swimming.
  • Dictionary.com: Also called fin. one of a pair of paddle like devices, usually of rubber, worn on the feet as an aid in scuba diving and swimming.

Interestingly, the OED defines a "fin" as a "an underwater swimmer’s flipper." :eek:

:D:D:D

Trying to be slightly on topic: I can hardly wait to see what BIS has in store with the new Java scripting engine! :yay: