Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

Obviously fake! Everyone knows railguns are pure science fiction, and we don't want them in our game! :D

*cough*

I'm actually amazed at how much power that little thing seems to have. It would appear that tank-sized versions in 15-20 years could conceivably be quite potent.

Looks like one, once again they probably restarted the project during wartime. It's probably going to be called M25 instead of XM25 because X defines prototype

Also what attachments does the third guy have on his F2000? Looks like a shortened barrel with a thermal scope.

So... some of those captions seem to indicate that the game world will be divided into smaller chunks.

The areas of each chapter in the solo campaign of ARMA will be approximately 3 kilometers in size 10x10.
To be able to save processing power and display such detailed landscapes and populate the game world should be divided into small areas.

But does this mean actually sectioning Lemnos into different 'maps' or somehow hiding everything they don't want to be in the designated mission area, like hideObject on a massive scale? Or perhaps this is one of those miscommunications that happen on game sites. EDIT: I guess more likely it just means that nothing will be happening anywhere but in the mission area.

Personally I'm all for smaller 'maps'. Even if they divided the island into 4, each map would still be bigger and more detailed than anything in other games. I know many would disagree, but I certainly wouldn't miss the sort of co-op mission alot of people seem to make where the objective is basically to seize the whole of Chernarus with a Force Recon squad.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

It says that the area of operation for each chapter of the campaign will be about 10x10km. I don't know why the translator randomly places the number 3 between "approximately" and "kilometers"

I hope this will only be that way in the campaign. Some german game magazine (maybe even this one) also wrote that thing about the AI beeing more player centric without mentioning, that this is only used in the campaign.

Edited by Derbysieger

Yeah but what exactly is it? Zone Exclusion scripts? The island is really a bunch of tiny maps? The rest of the area is empty? Clients only render 10km around them?

It says that the area of operation for each chapter of the campaign will be about 10x10km. I don't know why the translator randomly places the number 3 between "approximately" and "kilometers"

I hope this will only be that way in the campaign. Some german game magazine (maybe even this one) also wrote that thing about the AI beeing more player centric without mentioning, that this is only used in the campaign.

What is all this dividing stuff from???:confused: I know that player centreric A.I is considered but not confirmed officially BTW but I never heard about restricting chapters to certain PARTS of the island! Thats sounds horrible!I want FULL freedom not LIMITED freedom:mad:

Whatever link was posted above isnot working, it just takes me back to the same page so I cant find out...

its all just an automated translation originaly written by someone who read a press release made by a PR.

limited freedom? all bis games had limited freedom so far - red areas on the map. you have certain mission goals, where else do you want to go....

everything will be revealed today

Yeah it's not like you can't deviate 5 meters from the path or you die *COUGH* Red River :rolleyes:

I know but they made it sound like this one would be different, at least that's what I got out of it, cause I could've sworn I heard sandbox campaign being said, so to me I originally expected the whole island to be free and almost any objective could be captured or stumbled upon in any order (you might cennect the dots to some sort of mystery just in case your ultimate goal isn't clear from the get-go) save for some sort of climax that would only trigger once you had done all of the critical tasks/whatever chosen side tasks...

---------- Post added at 03:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 AM ----------

BTW I am fully aware of what computer performance is and honestly, they could just load the map in sections w/o restricting anything based on player position in the campaign or maybe the player centric AI in campaign (which, for the record, I have NO problem with) it will be enough for people who will have VERY powerful fomputers when the game releases, to handle the full map and maybe (if designed so) tackle the objectives in a COMPLETLY nonlinear fashion, which IMHO would GREATLY increase the enjoyment and replayablilty of the campaign, which is obiously a huge part of the intial package and is now being advertised by BIS as such as there is no multiplayer focused interviews/footage.

And if its true that the campain wont be totally sandbox I'll be pretty disappointed, not that it will stop me from buying and enjoying the game, mind you, I'll just enjoy it a lot less until I can get mods to install properly because shit got wierd back when I tried to get CBA for A2CO to work, all the advice i was given wasn't very concise at all and numerous attempts failed until I got it to work, but then it wouldn't show up on my launcher so I kind of gave up with mods for now which is why the Vanilla version is most important to me because that's probably what I'll be stuck with for awhile.

800 sound triggers on the map doesn't seem to have any kind of impact at all on frames. Using 1600 (just a little bug I put there, lol) red glowing dummy spheres to indicate positions of these triggers halved my frame rate, even if I couldn't see 750 of them.

For some strange reason, I think the campaign will be about 11 parts long. Then again, it could be just artist responsibility map or something. Personally, the AO in Manhattan campaign mission was pretty huge to me, and plenty room to sustain free roaming.

Consider it like this, you're free to go absolutely everywhere. But cross the marked border, and you will get nailed. Near the borders may be normal defenses. On the other side, spawned defenses on demand designed to kill you.

From this interview, I have gathered these details:

1) Campaign will be divided into chapters with a focused area for the player to be in. That probably means not that the rest of the island will be unaccessible or the player will be punished for leaving the "zone" but that "life" and events will be limited to save computational power and to direct the player. It has been discussed before. I believe that will be a "trick" that it will only be used for the campaign and it makes sense as the campaign mostly exists to entice players used to the other more-scripted FPS's.

2) Lasers are in! "Laser-based missile defense systems" that is. Will they be large structures or portable enough to fit on a vehicle, we will see.

3) Less variety of actual different vehicles and weapons than Arma 2 but since they will be modular and customizable, they might be counted the same.

4) No Experience Points and such. RPG elements include customization and decision making (and of course dialogs and intelligence gathering).

5) PhysX means more than simple ragdoll deaths or bouncy vehicles. The few words Ivan used hinted to a general improvement of object interaction.

"In addition to better implementation of the elements are already in the game, the PhysX engine also offers new possibilities for us. We can now load tanks on transport vehicles, we can slip in the mud, and cars can be soldiers rappelling. " It sounds like that some limitations that the engine had are now overcome so we might see for example characters moving on vehicles or more physical and practical interactions with the environment. BI of course could still be limited by developing time, so even some things that could be possible engine-wise could not be implemented because the actual gameplay gains wouldn't be worth it. At least in the beginning.

6) "You can now select different types of artillery attacks, with different types of ammunition and various types of effects"

7) "We would also like to include animations for getting into cars, because it contributes greatly to the atmosphere, but that's a resource issue"

8) "Although he is often able to have the opportunity to command troops AI, but who wants to play as a lone wolf, which almost always."

9) Real Time 3D Editor not yet ready but is a priority.

10) Possible enhanced HUD to indicate injuries and such: "We need to resort to auxiliary system to simulate what is lacking in comparison to the possibilities of perception of a soldier in the field."

Edited by arigram

That's either a BIO-Dome or a solar plant.

Reminds me of the Truman Show.

That's either a BIO-Dome or a solar plant.

Maybe not, it's next to a military camp.

Maybe not, it's next to a military camp.

You mean the military camp is next to it ;) . Those look like modular shacks.

You mean the military camp is next to it ;) . Those look like modular shacks.

My bad :p

Those domes remind me of the last level of the original Rainbow Six game. Hopefully we´ll get combat inside of them (also with the new xaitment AI tech BI is integrating into VBS. It would be really great to have that kind of functionality in A3)

We can now load tanks on transport vehicles, we can slip in the mud,...."

Ivan during doupe.cz video talked about what real SEAL divers do, that they pick sample from beach, so that invasion fleet don't need to worry that tanks can bog, now when VBS2 1.5 introduced boggy ground, it bring me to idea that maybe we also could use diver for this reconnaissance. Just dream :).