Sign in to follow this  
andreas1183

submarine, walk in cargo, ships?

when i said chainsaw i mean bomb to explode so you can get in the submarine!

There's a big difference between a chainsaw and a bomb :D

You also can't get into the submarine by blowing up the hull with a bomb. It will only destroy the submarine!

No he's telling the truth, the bomb is called a chainsaw, a sort of flat mine, it directs these sharp cutting thingies downward so they slice right through the hull and any unlucky persons below it.

good lord the nightmare of ARMA,OFP AI in a confined space....

perish the thought please

I have yet to play a game were "walk in cargo" works properly online, its impossible to sync the clients perfectly even when the vehicle is slow (ex: GTA IV tug boat).

In the case of a submarine or C130 maybe BIS could come up with a more gracefull solution using animations but thats probably as good as it 'could' get, imo.

Joint operations.....It came out in 2009... And it had 128 players online... And it always ran very well.....

Joint operations.....It came out in 2009... And it had 128 players online... And it always ran very well.....

You could move around freely inside a vehicle controlled by another player? Without being "atached"? :confused: .

You could move around freely inside a vehicle controlled by another player? Without being "atached"? :confused: .

Yup could load a buggy in the back of chinook... stand on the nose of the buggy and park the chinook on an LHD and run around to your hearts contempt whilst bunny hopping and firing blindly...

Yup could load a buggy in the back of chinook... stand on the nose of the buggy and park the chinook on an LHD and run around to your hearts contempt whilst bunny hopping and firing blindly...

I saw footage of JO gameplay and it didnt seem that way, in the helicopters the players were either atached to turrets or seats, i thought the vehicles were atached to eachother the same way too, 128 players plus the ability to load vehicles in other vehicles is quite impressive though, unfortunetly as far as that game goes it stops there..

No there's no attach for vehicles.. Players can sit in designated seats but its optional... trust me I played it for a long time. It maybe harder in arma though because joint ops was a lot more arcady...

I wonder how lag sensitive walk-in-vehicles really is.

You need to have friction and inertia synced constantly because those are the most important factors to keep your player/object from bouncing out of the vehicle.

Some sort of vector correction (in order to correct lag spikes) needs to be implemented aswell.

Or perhaps an entirely different model for objects and pawns inside separate vehicular spaces. Where each vehicle has it's own space with it's own physics. (gravity, friction and inertia) I think this is the most realistic/feasible in terms of implementation. This could be done client-sides and then synced with the server/clients.

In both cases they need to be synched over the internet to the server and clients.

Edited by SgtH3nry3

I wonder how lag sensitive walk-in-vehicles really is.

Its been in VBS for a long while, so I dont see it being an issue at all.

Gnat;1936208']Its been in VBS for a long while' date=' so I dont see it being an issue at all.[/quote']True, but aren't most VBS skirmishes played on a LAN?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. At least, I hope I am wrong. :D

No there's no attach for vehicles.. Players can sit in designated seats but its optional... trust me I played it for a long time. It maybe harder in arma though because joint ops was a lot more arcady...

Yeah, I played JO briefly and was impressed by the walk-in-vehicles feature.

To me, it seemed that the player's game world became the vehicle, with the rest of the world moving instead. I might suggest that it's possible to do this in ArmA, using my legendry skill of ignorant assumption :)

For players with no vehicle position, use a single central position point with an offset. Offset is calculated client-side and updated to the server, meanwhile the other clients see the last updated relative position only, such lag will be entirely undetectable.

For players with no vehicle position, use a single central position point with an offset. Offset is calculated client-side and updated to the server, meanwhile the other clients see the last updated relative position only, such lag will be entirely undetectable.
Sounds logical. But it all depends on how positions are computed and shared.

If BIS uses a (simple) Cartesian-based location system which supports both relative and absolute positions, it should theoretically work.

It still depends on the size of the grid scale or whether it's dynamic.

Also its probably harder with arma because its a more detailed simulation..... But aircraft carriers should be do-able at least eh! Anyone here played silent hunter 5? You can walk around the whole sub in that!

Sounds logical. But it all depends on how positions are computed and shared.

If BIS uses a (simple) Cartesian-based location system which supports both relative and absolute positions, it should theoretically work.

It still depends on the size of the grid scale or whether it's dynamic.

I think there will be an issue of at what point do you switch from world-space to vehicle-space. You would need to "join" a vehicle's space at some point, I might suggest having a vehicle platform, or volume, where, for players who stand on/in it, they are moved to vehicle-space. This would limit vehicle walking to specified areas only. I don't know if such a feature is available or possible in BIS's game engine.

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

Also its probably harder with arma because its a more detailed simulation..... But aircraft carriers should be do-able at least eh! Anyone here played silent hunter 5? You can walk around the whole sub in that!

That's because, in SH5, the sub is the entire game world as far as player movement goes :)

In relation to Joint operations I can confirm that you can freely walk around the interiors or go ontop of any of the vehicles while they are static or moving.

You can easily just drive vehicles into the back of a Chinook / Mi- 26 and just fly off without any problems with collision or lagg.

That game came out in 2005 so I don't see why it cant be done with Arma.

"Sounds logical. But it all depends on how positions are computed and shared.

It still depends on the size of the grid scale or whether it's dynamic."

To me this sounded like it came straight out of an episode of Stargate...

But anyway, I imagine that if the subs are useable, they would act like an APC, get in/out while at sea/submerged, you would exit in those dive suits seen in the screenies. near land I don't know... maybe a RHIB or in that case there is a walkable deck.

E

Yeah, I played JO briefly and was impressed by the walk-in-vehicles feature.

To me, it seemed that the player's game world became the vehicle, with the rest of the world moving instead. I might suggest that it's possible to do this in ArmA, using my legendry skill of ignorant assumption :)

Yeah it worked perfectly in JO, walking in a vehicle was basically the same as walking on the ground, except your ground was moving. Syncing a unit that was walking around in a moving vehicle was about as hard for the server as syncing a unit that was was walking around on the ground.

+1 on moving around in moving vehicles!

I want to see CH47 rib recovery & fast deployment of vehicles from air vehicles.

and just for kicks I want to drive a DVP out of one at 1000ft :D

Submarines, ships, walk in cargo and divers would be awesome!!!

Gnat;1936208']Its been in VBS for a long while' date=' so I dont see it being an issue at all.[/quote']

VERY smart GNAT, VERY smart

I would like to see that the logistic system is more improved.

Vehicles that could lay bridges or mine field clearing tanks would be awesome and great for mission makers.

A hoovercraft that could carry vehicles would be also too ( I saw this in an addon, not sure which one it was).

You cant be serious, submarine hulls are designed to withstand torpedos and you suggest a chainsaw can cut through it and board the sumbarine. :rolleyes: