Sign in to follow this  
mrcash2009

Animations (all things animation based) >>

I checked the physics thread to make sure that animations are partly tied to it but then are also a separate entity so's not to repeat, and hoping this isn't too much of a "request thread" either (please lock if its too similar I did look first apologies moderators in advance if so).

I was looking at what A3/BIS will bring to the table with anims, I understand that we will have similar to now but "smoother" but I wonder how far it will go.

For example we have had Shacktacks movement addon fixing clipping, we have had PVPscenes anims pack and things from SLX bringing all sorts of ways to get around in Arma2. So I was interested in what kind of things people seek for in the faults of A2/AO that this new improved anims could bring for example ...

Will reloads be more fancy like (some other games I will not mention) more detail for the reload, things like PVPscene introduced and Ghost Recon series which is a slide into cover .. I would personally like to see sliding introduced when running, seems reasonable if done correctly, nice to see team AI slide to cover etc.

Would like to see other views on this whole area, examples links and such, I hope BIS have looked at said add-ons and will implement this further, would you like less clipping with gun? Clipping "options" for MP in settings maybe? Keep it like it is and how far would it need that tweak to you think?

I didn't start a poll becuase it seemed worthless, just an open ended section about that area, thought a thread for it was worthy seeing as there are alot of debates about it in current/previous versions. If done right this would be one of the best and most needed to be addressed things more than anything I guess, you kind of forget it when playing to a point that this will change the feel of many things I wonder to what extent? Will it mean that there is balance and "feel" to classes maybe? More Weight to snipers, added things like feel of weight with rucks (IE slower anims and changes when heavier load/dynamic)? List goes on ...

Edited by mrcash2009

Yes, please fix the typical arma clunkyness. Stop having the player's POV connected to the animations in such a way that it causes clunkyness.

Also fix that when a player changes his weapon, by accident, that he'll be forced now to sit out the entire animation to that weapon and back to the previous one. Huge clunky factor.

The way that changing to a weapon is implemented in the arma menu/gui is one of the reasons an accidental weapon change happens. Fix it by removing (optional) all weapon related actions from the on-screen menu, make it possible to scroll through weapons with the mousewheel.

Same as above but happens when the player pronecrawls against i.e. some rocks, he automatically stands up, which the player doesn't want, any is now forced to sit out the entire animation to fully standing, and back again to the previous position, which he did not choose to leave in the first place. Again, clunky problem caused by animations.

Will edit post if i think of more.

Edited by zeep

Yes, please fix the typical arma clunkyness. Stop having the player's POV connected to the animations in such a way that it causes clunkyness.

Also fix that when a player changes his weapon, by accident, that he'll be forced now to sit out the entire animation to that weapon and back to the previous one. Huge clunky factor.

The way that changing to a weapon is implemented in the arma menu/gui is one of the reasons an accidental weapon change happens. Fix it by removing (optional) all weapon related actions from the on-screen menu, make it possible to scroll through weapons with the mousewheel.

Same as above but happens when the player pronecrawls against i.e. some rocks, he automatically stands up, which the player doesn't want, any is now forced to sit out the entire animation to fully standing, and back again to the previous position, which he did not choose to leave in the first place. Again, clunky problem caused by animations.

Will edit post if i think of more.

This is pretty much spot on, I'm sick of soldiers that control like tanks and animations that cannot be interrupted, it really is not cricket in this day and age :p

I've read some people complaining about the controls, yet I dont feel anything bad about them...strange.

Oh dear, looks like a request thread ... oops, hard to balance that out :)

physiX (if it affect the animations) would only affect the interactions between the character and the environment.

Don't assume those are gonna be anything but similar to arma2 ones (mocap)

I am assuming at this point that those revamp animations means being able to interrupt them in the first place. That is the main gripe at this very moment. (should be a right step to make, after the change in the capability to reload on the move from A1 to A2)

Detailed reload anims are possible at this very moment, but BIS just didn't made specific ones for each...I have my doubt about this, but there is still time for it.

What i would look forward to would be a similar cover system to the one in the upcoming RO.

Edited by PuFu

I think the best possible thing that having a modern physics engine will give A3 is blended animations, and this is a selling point of the PhysX SDK. The entire issue that most people have with A3 animations will be solved by that one thing alone.

Blended animations means that an animated character can move from one animation to the other with overlap, or even do two or more animations at once. For instance, walking/running while switching a weapon.

In A2, the entire skeletal model was forced into the current animation playing, and couldn't do anything else. Kiss that kind of crap goodbye. We won't miss it.

What i would look forward to would be a similar cover system to the one in the upcoming RO.

This, plus animations that respond to things like collisions (ex: automatically lowering your weapon in tight spaces). That's what I'm hoping for at least. Improve that, and improve the blending of animations, and IMO I think the character movement in ArmA 3 would actually be praised for its uniqueness.

Revamp animations to me sounds like, interruptable animations, animations for static placements like MG's and Strela pods, animations for weapon assembly, and bi-pods.

Some small transition animations from sprinting to stop showing momentum would be nice these are nice touches in OF: Red River, and when you turn your character on a knee you will lift you leg up and adjust accordingly instead of spinning.

Im hoping that this interaction within the environment also means weapons and such automatically being pushed off a corner of a wall, automatically lowering your weapon when it hits a wall. Which is implemented in Red Orchestra 2.

On the Arma 2 CIT, under Next Gen category, Player clipping issues is assigned a feature.

Im really looking forward to more concrete details about this revamp animation system and Physx implementation.

Edited by Flash Thunder

Auto weapon leaning on objects ala I44 (and ACE to some degree)?

weapons and such will collide with walls, automatically being pushed off a corner of a wall, automatically lowering your weapon when it hits a wall.

This is already implemented, but since the latter two aren't some people find it problematic.

This is already implemented, but since the latter two aren't some people find it problematic.

OOPS silly me I know that, typo which is why alot of us have issues with indoor CQB fighting. :)

But yes, simply automatically lowering your weapon and adding a physical push effect to your weapons when colliding would significantly improve close quarters combat.

and dont forget ti disign matching animations for the AT weapons...

i dont want a magic reload of a RPG or a totaly wrong amimation on AT4

or give us the ability to animate the 2 hands :-) then we can do it on our own

- Better wounding animations. To actually see someone limp when hit in the lower leg or fall over more reasonably rather than either doing a dodgey looking animation or basically going prone in pain. It would be nice to see them hold a wound or similar, but as long as they could still fire back.

That clunkyness has got to go. Agreed on reload animations, especially for the MAAWS aka Carl Gustav.

more fluid animations would be great. as would a lot more variation as seen in the awesome mod by PvPscene. also more 'technicaly things like actual reloading and holdign weapons in vehciles etc.

but tempered the animations to reflect real limitations of human soldiers in gear which is often heavy and cumbersome.

There also needs to be an animation for getting shot. For example if they add body armor to infantry and the frontal plates of that armor gets hit by a round the soldier should drop to the ground like in real life. Basically a hit reaction animation.

If we were allowed to animate the two hands ourselves that would be great, Modders could add the animations that BIS leaves out in the final product we could actually have reload animations and such.

All I am going to say is that I HATE all the current handgun animation, I HATE THEM, I HATE THEM, I HATE THEM, I HATE THEM, I HATE THEM!

hahaha I agree 4 in 1, also never seen people run like they do know when unarmed lol, I'm hoping that aswell as being able to cancel animations half way through, that you could take cover behind objects, to increase survival chance in CQB, and also having some more dynamic death animations, and ones that make sense, and happen far quicker, that is if they don't integrate ragdoll (doubt they will at this point).

To a degree I like the way that turning is slowed depending on what kind of weapon you have, so that people with LMG's are not as quick as people with MP5's etc. but it should be doen differently, instead of having the whole screen turn slowly, the screen should be able to turn incredibly quickly and and without a delay, but the weapon should be a little slower, it would make it seem even less liek the weapon is slaved to your eyes, and even more of a sense of weight, so having light assault rifles and SMG's being able to turn incredibly quickly, but with sniper rifles, Machinguns and AT launchers moving much slower, because in real life you can move your head quickly without a problem, but a weapon is a little harder to bring around obviously.

Animations please stick to newtons law, no backflipping, getting thrown 20 feet from a .50 cal.

The body seizes up, the muscles tighten through pain and that is how you drop. It would be good if the animation showed this, it would be even better with a facial expression of pain but that's complicated.

it would be even better with a facial expression of pain but that's complicated.

Yeah because setMimic hasn't been working since Arma 2's release. :mad:

more fluid animations would be great. as would a lot more variation as seen in the awesome mod by PvPscene..

Don't ya mean Smookie's :rolleyes: