Sign in to follow this  
Cookieeater

Steamworks, add it in or not?

Should Steamworks be implemented into ArmA III?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Should Steamworks be implemented into ArmA III?

• Yes
    • No

Fuck no, it does not make it right, But everyone must abide by and respect their Terms of Service......

Was someone here breaking their terms of service? If not, what is the point of your broken record antics in this thread? I thought we were discussing whether such terms are fair to begin with, so posting some legalese as a matter of fact is completely fruitless.

Was someone here breaking their terms of service? If not, what is the point of your broken record antics in this thread?

Well, everyone here is so fucking worried about Steam "switching the service off" so I simply showed them that they are LEGALLY allowed to do so!! How fucking hard is it to understand!?!

Edited by Nicholas

Well, everyone here is so fucking worried about Steam "switching the service off" so I simply showed them that they are LEGALLY allowed to do so!! How fucking hard is it to understand!?!

See, that is a completely unconstructive remark. It brings nothing to the discussion. Everyone knows that they're allowed to do so, and that's what they think is bad in the first place.

I thought we were discussing whether such terms are fair to begin with, so posting some legalese as a matter of fact is completely fruitless.

If you think it is unfair, then WHY click on the "I Agree" when you sign up!?!!? You are given the opportunity to read and agree/disagree to the ToS before signing up!

"Oh that's not fair, but I'll click on "I Agree" anyways!!"

If you think it is unfair, then WHY click on the "I Agree" when you sign up!?!!? You are given the opportunity to read and agree/disagree to the ToS before signing up!

You're completely missing the point of a discussion whether such policies are good or bad. Whether someone clicks "agree" or "disagree" has no bearing whatsoever. You can agree on the terms because you already paid for the goddamn game and want to play it, but you can still think that the terms suck and you can still present valid arguments for that view. Then someone comes up to recite the terms that you already agreed on and says that they're legally allowed to do all that, and that's a horrible way to discuss things because it leads nowhere.

Whether someone clicks "agree" or "disagree" has no bearing whatsoever.
You can agree on the terms because you already paid for the goddamn game and want to play it

Wow, I'd like to see this argument in a court case! That is not a valid excuse for not reading the ToS and simply clicking on "I Agree" without reading it. It is your job to read and accept or reject those terms, whether or not you've already paid for the game and just want to play.

^^ And you appear to quoting the same few lines over and over again about 'Terms" without refrencing the details/differences of the actual services in question

Wow, I'd like to see this argument in a court case! That is not a valid excuse for not reading the ToS and simply clicking on "I Agree" without reading it. It is your job to read and accept or reject those terms, whether or not you've already paid for the game and just want to play.

At this point it's obvious that you have no concept of discussion and argumentation, so I'll retire from this tiresome interaction. I do hope that you'll at least reflect upon what I tried to tell you.

^^ And you appear to quoting the same few lines over and over again about 'Terms" without refrencing the details/differences of the actual services in question

My last few posts, I was not talking about any specific service ToS.......

The problem here is that we are not on the same level. I am talking about these policies from the legal standpoint, while you are talking about whether they are "good or bad" for the users. And I've already told you that I do not believe it is good for the users and voted "No" to Steamworks a long, long time ago. I've told you that there is a conflict with digital distribution and the ArmA EULA. I don't understand why you were still trying to carry on a "discussion".

Edited by Nicholas

Who cares if they are legally allowed to do so or not?

Are you a Valve employee or something? Hope they pay you well for your legal services.

Who cares if they are legally allowed to do so or not?

Are you a Valve employee or something? Hope they pay you well for your legal services.

I'm not an employee of any video game company. Only a strong supporter of BIS. And obviously many people seem to care if they are legally allowed to do so.

My last few posts, I was not talking about any specific service ToS.......

The problem here is that we are not on the same level. I am talking about these policies from the legal standpoint, while you are talking about whether they are "good or bad" for the users. ....

Yes you made your point but then where? What did you expect? When things come to a head and end up in court do you think its just a matter of someone repeating the same few points again and again till someone pats them on back and says good job?

Of course not.

Holy fuck, this is getting off topic..

Anyways...NO STEAM. Although, I think it would be cool to see some integration such as managing mods and browsing servers or the ability to jump in a friends/clans game. Although, you can't do 50% steamworks. :(

i would be furious if there was no steam integration , especially the new mod support they have going in steam workshop.

All i have to say is that if you own a gaming PC and dont use steam for all of your purchases you are just stubborn and whiney.

Games have no resell value anymore regardless of what you buy , physical copy or not. Gamestop made this a fact in the gaming industry. pc games are worth less than dust to resell.

As much as I love steam, I think that being furious that ArmA III doesn't use steam features that undermine the ArmA community is a little crazy. Honestly, I don't care how people get it, as long as they get it. It's the same product, whether boxed, sprocket or Steam. I get almost all of my games through steam for the convenience (No disk swapping! :yay:) and the wicked sales they always have going on.

On to the purpose of the thread, the most I'd want to see is the Steam overlay working with launchers. I miss being able to chat with friends and surf the net without alt + tabbing. Beyond that, I don't think Steam Works adds anything and Workshop would, like I said earlier, undermine the communities infrastructure.

On to the purpose of the thread, the most I'd want to see is the Steam overlay working with launchers. I miss being able to chat with friends and surf the net without alt + tabbing.

Library -> Add non-steam game -> select launcher's exe

Start the launcher through Steam library -> enjoy overlay in your ArmA2.

Tested with Alpinestars launcher - works perfectly.

I just have a question though - you are going to chat with friends and surf the net while being shot together with your bros in ArmA? :D

Sprocket can lock you out of your games. If they shut down the service, then you would not have access to your games, would you? Unless you of course already have them downloaded and saved. But, you can also download and save your games from Steam as well.

Well my Sprocket downloads are backed up and the activations keys are safe, so I cannot be denied those products. I CAN be denied re-downloading them at some point in the future that's true. But with SteamWorks, I need Steam to run the games. If I'm locked out of Steam or otherwise cannot access it, that's it, games cannot be used.

It's like having a second operating system managing just the games, if that service is unavailable (for any reason) then you have no access to your games. At least with Sprocket I have everything I'll ever need without needing Sprocket to manage it and authorise it, each time I wish to install or play.

"Or otherwise cannot access it", didn't they invent the offline mode for this? https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

For the full Steamworks functionality, which I assume also manages multiplay, I might guess that the offline mode would be SP only. I also believe you need access for installation, although that's a smaller issue :)

I just have a question though - you are going to chat with friends and surf the net while being shot together with your bros in ArmA? :D

Thanks, I'll check it out.

And look at my signature, I end up sitting at base a lot of the time. :p

Thanks, I'll check it out.

And look at my signature, I end up sitting at base after crashing millions of dollars worth of airframes into mountain sides a lot of the time. :p

Steam Overlay is kinda cool.

Steam Overlay is kinda cool.

I see what you did there. lol