Sign in to follow this  
Cookieeater

Steamworks, add it in or not?

Should Steamworks be implemented into ArmA III?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Should Steamworks be implemented into ArmA III?

• Yes
    • No

No thanks, i like my PC games as i've all always bought them, with a very nice box around them.

I don't want Steam-like "maneur" (to avoid using another word), such as achievements.

Simply put, NO.

Not everyone likes buying their games through Steam b/c of achievements. Some people just don't want to have to worry about lost or damaged game discs.

And some people think that steam like software is the future (like me). Thankfully we live in a world with different opinions. Otherwise it would be boring right?

BI could do what Egosoft did with X3:TC. They gave you the option to activate, download, and run the game from Steam with a proper cd-key but also allowed you to install a non-steam version from the disc. So anyone who doesn't want to deal with Steam doesn't have to and those who want what Steam has to offer can take advantage of it.

Personally I wish more games took this approach!

Edited by The_Great_H4x0r

Nope :)

A mod manager for MP would be fine though.

And a 64bits A3 version would be great... ;)

Voted "Yes", I would love to see Steamworks being optional with Steam retail redeemable keys as well as ability to play without Steam somehow

I understand the reasoning for not wanting to have the game on steam but i am a steam lover mostly because I have a hard time keeping my games organized and in good shape. no matter how hard I try! for me its easy I have them in one place and takes up no extra space, but I do still bye games boxed retail and I don't mind that at all either and yes I would love a 64-bit version... we need all the help we can get to try and crunch through this beast!

If A3 went with steam as for server browsing i'd stop supporting it and stop trying to get people to buy ArmA III. Try Dawn of War II: Retribution, then tell me how great that steam match making really is.

If A3 went with steam as for server browsing i'd stop supporting it and stop trying to get people to buy ArmA III. Try Dawn of War II: Retribution, then tell me how great that steam match making really is.

I have to agree. If they just gonna use Steamworks for it's DRM, it's fine, but don't use anything else, especially their match making. Maybe Cloud is OK, but I have heard people losing saves.

I voted yes. Now, whlie I'm not necessarily Pro-Steam...I do use it a lot for my gaming, and have Arma2/OA on Steam.

I just think that, frankly, Steam, whether we like it or not, is probably going to be a part of the Arma 3 Experience. Whether that's a good thing or not, is a matter of debate, but that's not the point I'm making. If Steam is part of the experience, then you may as well go all out with it, pretty much, and bring in Steamworks. It'll make things easier for modders, map makers, and others along those lines, letting them more easily share their content, and THAT I think is key, especially given the clusterfuck (pardon my language) that is getting mods to run without using command line strings or third party apps in the current Arma 2 environment.

Anything to help streamline mod usage is a good thing in my book.

I have no problems with Steamworks integration, will make it easier to connect with my friends.

Voted "Yes", I would love to see Steamworks being optional with Steam retail redeemable keys as well as ability to play without Steam somehow

Just want to tell you. When a game becomes a "Steamworks" game, Steam is no longer optional, but mandatory.

You don't "add" Steamworks to a game. A game is either a Steamworks game or it's not.

So if Bohemia Interactive really chooses to make ARMA 3 a Steamworks game, then no matter where, when, how you buy the game, you always have to use steam in order to install, play and update the game. There's no choices anymore, except one. You can still download the game from the retail store you bought it, and steam is more than happy if you do so because you are saving them the bandwidth.

But I highly doubt they'll do that though. Bohemia Interactive has their own online distribution store so I don't think they'll give steam the exclusive.

I have a second reason.

I am also against Steam because of the datacollection of Steam.

You might not be worried about that.

You might not even understand why people care.

You may not have read George Orwells "1984".

You might think that privacy is an outdated concept.

You might call people like me paranoid and tinfoil-hat-wearers.

I, personally, don't mind, because data protection is an abstract topic.

I know it's sometimes hard to understand.

The danger from too much data collection doesn't taste or smell and you cannot touch it.

It's more like radioactivity: Slow, hidden, individual and when it's doing it's deadly work, it's too late. You are alone.

My data is important.

Even the data about when I do play which game, how successful I am and from where I play with what hardware and with which additonal files on my PC etc. etc.

It's freedom - pls see my signature.

Your data maybe not important.

Maybe even for noone.

Maybe even never.

You hear in the background the datacollecting enterprises and dictators of countries are applauding you .... at the same time? They even congratulate you for your decision to consume and consume "services" and "services" without ever thinking twice. Big Brother loves you.

Edited by Herbal Influence

I really hope BIS keep a Steam version as a option and not forcing that damn Steamwork down our throats. To all you "Steam lovers"... Steam may be great for some of you but you are delusional to think it's best/prefered option for everyone!

And yes, I do own exactly one (1) Steam game that I never play!

I clearly vote NO again!

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Nope. I like steam and have over 300 games on it but ArmA2 on steam has given me nothing but headaches. So much I bought the game and all the expansions again on the bi store. Plus for most of the time I had it installed it re downloaded the entire game whenever it patched. I would like them to have elements of steamworks like friends and a great server browser instead of that barbarian gamespy they have been using.

If you add CoOp, please add Steamworks, at least for Steamusers. It is such a hassle finding your friends game in Arma 2.. it is not even remotely funny.

With Steam, I just rightclick and join my friends game. Add it at least as option for Steamusers.

And Steam Workshop for Mods would be great^^. Modmakers can then decide themselves if they want to upload it to Steam or not.

@harlon

All the hassle that is around Arma 2 on Steam, is the fault of Bohemia, sorry.

Their integration of Steam is horrible to say at least. E.g, the DLC PMC and BAC are seperate Entries, while it is not necessary to have that and you need to start them one time to install. This could be done automatically after purchase once you start Arma 2 OA.

They could also finally integrate Arma 2 into OA when you have combined Ops, so that you have only 1 Entry. And all those nice things.

It's the devs in this case, not Steam.

Edited by Scorcher24

I only buy games through steam. I like having one updater and not having a different updater for every game.

I don't care whether ArmA uses VAC or the steam community/identity system, etc, but the steam integration has to be rock solid in terms of game updates and DLC.

It's not a problem with steam that ArmA hasn't always got it right with the steam updates, steam just pushes out what BIS provides when they provide it. Any errors in the instal or any delays are a BIS issue.

Hello everyone,

“If it were not for digital distribution we would no longer be doing PC games. It’s as simple as this.†-Marek Spanel Bohemia Interactive boss man. *link to the article below

I think BIS should just continue with their current business model of selling it through dig-distros (including Steam) and allowing those to purchase it physically to enjoy it as well. Per the quote above, you're actually helping BIS if you bought it from Sprocket and any other digital distribution site and avoided the physical copies all together.

I have over 750+ games on Steam, I don't have to worry about losing my CD's, or damaging them. I won't need to rent storage for the massive gaming collection I collect over the years. For what it's worth, I used to hate Steam, for making me install a client along side the game I just purchased, requiring me to log into it every time I had to play it, etc. I had it for Half-Life 2's Orange Box...but one Christmas Sale about 2 or 3 years ago, I couldn't pass up the sales they had and here I am today. In this society we love convenience and Steam does just that.

For those that say they have technical problems with Steam, I haven't experienced any issue with running any BIS games or any games period on Steam (except ancient games like Thief or Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines (with a quick google search I found a fix))...I have all of BIS' games except Take On Helicopters (soon I'll get it). :yay:I'm even playing the DAYZ mod using the Six Updater Suite and no issues what so ever.:yay:

I understand those out in the boonies with horrible internet service and don't have the option to install a 4-20 GB game but as a previous poster mentioned you can install it from the CD, etc.

In the end, if they integrate Steamworks great, if they don't I don't care as long as they offer it on Steam like they do with all BIS games. I'll be happy as I'm sure many people around the globe will. And please don't make it a Sprocket exclusive like EA decided to do with their titles..yes they were on other digi-distros but you still required Origin to play it.

*http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/12/digital-sales-mean-pc-games-can-happen/

*Side note: I'm pretty certain those users that voted "No" have an Apple device, but you don't hear them complaining that they have to use ITunes to get their music...legally and without using 3rd party apps. Does anyone still buy CD's at the store anymore? I used to when I was 12 but in this day and age everything is going to the digital distro world, including TV and movies (Hulu, Netflix, etc), games (Steam, Sprocket, Gamersgate, etc), Books (Nook, Kindle, etc)

Sorry for the long post

Edited by ItaliaPRIME
typo

Per the quote above, you're actually helping BIS if you bought it from Sprocket and any other digital distribution site and avoided the physical copies all together.

Unless I'm completely mistaken, it rather meant that digital distribution helped BI in availability of its games. Not a lot of supermarkets or even game stores have Arma in stock, so a lot of potential buyers would have ended up without the game if it wasn't sold digitally. Buying the game the way that suits you the best is what you should do if you are given the privilege to choose.

*Side note: I'm pretty certain those users that voted "No" have an Apple device, but you don't hear them complaining that they have to use ITunes to get their music...legally and without using 3rd party apps. Does anyone still buy CD's at the store anymore? I used to when I was 12 but in this day and age everything is going to the digital distro world, including TV and movies (Hulu, Netflix, etc), games (Steam, Sprocket, Gamersgate, etc), Books (Nook, Kindle, etc)

I voted no for several different reasons that added together have me convinced it would be a mistake. I do not own an Apple device, probably never will, and I've only used iTunes for about a week a couple years ago. You do hear people complaining about iTunes, just not really in this forum. Yes, I can see the benefits of integrating Steamworks, but the negatives far outweigh the positives in my opinion.

(...)

I have over 750+ games on Steam, I don't have to worry about losing my CD's, or damaging them. I won't need to rent storage for the massive gaming collection I collect over the years. For what it's worth, I used to hate Steam, for making me install a client along side the game I just purchased, requiring me to log into it every time I had to play it, etc. I had it for Half-Life 2's Orange Box...but one Christmas Sale about 2 or 3 years ago, I couldn't pass up the sales they had and here I am today. In this society we love convenience and Steam does just that. (...)

Well, it's quite an insult to maintain that all that don't follow your road of TOTAL CONSUME without thinking twice are secretly using Apple devices ... :rolleyes: I am happy to say: I don't. But now you will describe me as St. Peter? ... :confused:

Let's stay serious: I never lost or scratched one of my gaming DVDs for BIS makes it completely easy: After the first patch you can store them in your bookshelf. And if you collected 750+ games I fear we either might consider you a gaming professional or an addict - both of which are out of place in a hobby gamers forum. Or let's say it this way: Game Collectors might use Steam, they don't leave additional personal life data, because they have no time to play a game. ;-)

Once again: Allowing Steam will be a virus that leads to dependency on Steam's politics. I can't stand that. I want my BIS to stay independent and data protective as it has been. That's why I love it. If more than 60 % of the income of BIS comes over Steam, ...

... BIS freedom has left the building ....

And this I say though again I suffer from not knowing which patch to follow with the other patch as I am reinstalling the game.

And for those who "cannot find cogamers in PvP": Just talk/chat ! Say "hello!" when you enter a server! That's how people function .... don't behave like an autist (if you are in fact none, otherwise it's: ok !).

And if you think sixupdater is worse than Steam pls read this!

Edited by Herbal Influence

I have over 750+ games on Steam, I don't have to worry about losing my CD's, or damaging them. I won't need to rent storage for the massive gaming collection I collect over the years. For what it's worth, I used to hate Steam, for making me install a client along side the game I just purchased, requiring me to log into it every time I had to play it, etc. I had it for Half-Life 2's Orange Box...but one Christmas Sale about 2 or 3 years ago, I couldn't pass up the sales they had and here I am today. In this society we love convenience and Steam does just that.

Dude, 750 games? :) You're hardly a connoisseur :D I guess for the compulsive game collector (I can't believe you play 750 games) then maybe Steam would work for you. 750 is a lot of DVDs :D

If this were a thread on the tyrannies of iTunes you might hear people complaining. As it's a thread on the employment of Steamworks you'll see people complain about Steam & Steamworks. That's how it goes :) Also, I buy my music on CDs still. I buy my movies on DVD. I have some game titles downloaded digitally but in general I prefer hard copy. In fact, I purchased ArmAX digitally & regretted it, as I didn't recieve hard copies of the maps, which I would have very much liked to have.

Unrelated to topic, but just to make a point.

Ask alot of Anime freaks out in the world, would they rather have their shows in a digital format or Physical DVD, most of them will say the DVD. Just because visual media is big on the digital market doesn't mean we should kick the physical market off the bench. Plus some game developers will add a little extra items to the physical DVD of their software. Like maps, posters, tech trees and soundtrack CD's (rare but I have games that came with them).

Items like those might not seem like much to some, to me its all the more bragging rights of why I should be owning everyone in the game with a map posted on the wall right next to my monitor.

But one question, How does owning an apple device make people vote no?

Edited by Haystack15

But one question, How does owning an apple device make people vote no?

Maybe because my payed itunes musics tend to disppear quite often ?